REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #10026
Banned By Establishment

How many channels do you pick up with this antennae?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #10027
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Looking for one of those HDTV antennas. I want to watch local news in the rape dungeon (no cable). I have a couple of smaller flat screen televisions lying around.

I can order the antenna from Amazon, but prefer local pickup.
London Drugs. TV Antennas.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #10028
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
How many channels do you pick up with this antennae?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can get about 12-14 depending on where you're located. There's definitely some crap channels that you'll never watch (ex. all the Bellingham ones).

I only watch CBC (Hockey Night), CTV (Thursday & Sunday NFL), and the odd show on Global and the antenna gets all this for free. Everything else I can watch online.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #10029
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
There is a website that shows you a map of the channels you get depending on the direction of the antenna

I think that unless you’re in a high rise though the signal is pretty shit? Like definitely some pockets of Burnaby and Vancouver where you’re in a hole of the geography you won’t get a single channel
Old 12-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #10030
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Looking for one of those HDTV antennas. I want to watch local news in the rape dungeon (no cable). I have a couple of smaller flat screen televisions lying around.

FWIW, I bought a firestick from Amazon during BF, I just tried it for the first time yesterday, it seems to have some local channels available, including Global. I subscribe to regular TV to get Sportsnet and I was also able to access SN through the firestick as well. If you're internet reaches your dungeon, and if you will allow your prisoners the luxury , you may want to consider this.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #10031
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
FWIW, I bought a firestick from Amazon during BF, I just tried it for the first time yesterday, it seems to have some local channels available, including Global. I subscribe to regular TV to get Sportsnet and I was also able to access SN through the firestick as well. If you're internet reaches your dungeon, and if you will allow your prisoners the luxury , you may want to consider this.
Is that the Global TV app (pre-recorded shows) or can you actually watch live TV with the Fire Stick now?
Old 12-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #10032
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:

You don't have to use anything fancy. A lot of the OTA HDTV antennas are just rebranded from the old VHF/UHF antennas. You can use a plain old set of rabbit ears to pick up a signal. They're all broadcasting on the same UHF frequencies they used to use in the past.

A few years back for my uncle's retirement party at a restaurant in Richmond, he's a big Canucks fan, and he wanted to watch the playoff game at the same time. All I did was run a 15 foot length of coax down the side of the room to act as an antenna to pick up the CBC OTA signal.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2019, 12:27 AM   #10033
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
You can't install the lock with the existing handle and plate? Is the plate actually covering anything or just cosmetic? You can get a regular door handle anywhere.
I can only do it if I turn it upside down as August lock needs to sit flush to the door and the plate (which the top section hosts the lock knob) doesn't fit, not really against it cosmetically as it's symmetrical anyway, the problem is that I can't flip the side of the door lever.

On the door lever there's usually a little thingy you can press down so it'd detach and flip around (changing left to right hand). But mine doesn't have it, unfortunately.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #10034
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Is that the Global TV app (pre-recorded shows) or can you actually watch live TV with the Fire Stick now?
I haven't tried it. Sportsnet it's live tv though.

Update: So I just launched the Global TV app, in addition to pre-recorded shows, it does have live TV as well, but I had to sign in with my TV service provider, so it seems as long as you have a TV subscription, you can watch it through a Fire Stick. In addition to Global & Sportsnet, I saw apps from BCTV and CBC as well.

Last edited by Speed2K; 12-07-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Speed2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #10035
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I can only do it if I turn it upside down as August lock needs to sit flush to the door and the plate (which the top section hosts the lock knob) doesn't fit, not really against it cosmetically as it's symmetrical anyway, the problem is that I can't flip the side of the door lever.

On the door lever there's usually a little thingy you can press down so it'd detach and flip around (changing left to right hand). But mine doesn't have it, unfortunately.
Got a picture of the lock and your existing door? With my handles to swap them around there's a tiny allen head bolt you have to undo.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #10036
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:

Take a picture of the inside, outside and the side where the bolt comes out.
Should be easier for us to figure out if we could see it all
PDKGD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #10037
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
You don't have to use anything fancy. A lot of the OTA HDTV antennas are just rebranded from the old VHF/UHF antennas. You can use a plain old set of rabbit ears to pick up a signal. They're all broadcasting on the same UHF frequencies they used to use in the past.

A few years back for my uncle's retirement party at a restaurant in Richmond, he's a big Canucks fan, and he wanted to watch the playoff game at the same time. All I did was run a 15 foot length of coax down the side of the room to act as an antenna to pick up the CBC OTA signal.
Interesting..

So if you had some coax you could probably just strip back a few feet of the sheathing and just coil it up or something to create an antenna...

MG1, if you’re interested I could whip up something like a coaxial end on a long length of coax or something, on the house.

To tune into the channels do you just go to the cable input and flip around or what?
Old 12-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #10038
Banned By Establishment

Quote:

Have you looked into making your own with a coat hanger? It can be super simple to a nicer one LOL

Old 12-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #10039
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Interesting..

So if you had some coax you could probably just strip back a few feet of the sheathing and just coil it up or something to create an antenna...

MG1, if you’re interested I could whip up something like a coaxial end on a long length of coax or something, on the house.

To tune into the channels do you just go to the cable input and flip around or what?
Yeah, I used coax that I only terminated at one end. A properly crimped/compression terminated cable would be fully shielded. I don't remember if I shorted the core against the shielding, as I was using quad shielded cable at the time.

You'd need to put your tv into over the air or antenna mode. You do a channel scan, option in the setup menu. Once the tv knows what stations you can pick up, they're saved to memory, and you can select the channels like you do normally.
To get an efficient antenna, your need a wire length that's related to the wavelength of the frequency you want to get. Longer isn't always better.
The problem with picking up all the channels is getting good angles to the transmitters. I think ctv/global/ cbc transmit from My Seymour or Cypress? There's two directions on the north shore you need to pick up for the stations from what I remember. It's been a while since I messed around with ota signals.

That said, I would usually do it during playoff season for cbc hockey. If you think cable hd is clear, you should see it ota uncompressed. Bell express vu compresses the least from what I remember ~30%? Shaw/Telus 40-50%% Depends on the channel and the programming.
When I had expressvu, bell would always put extra bandwidth for the Superbowl. If you watched other channels like HGTV during the game, it was compressed to shit.

Last edited by Mikoyan; 12-07-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #10040
I don't get it

I made the coat hanger one back when I was in highschool 10+ years ago when I had no money and wanted to see HD content on the family's flatscreen.

I remembered getting CBC, CTV, Global. But now? I would recommend just spending the money on the TV antennas because it isn't such an eyesore.
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:23 PM   #10041

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Got a picture of the lock and your existing door? With my handles to swap them around there's a tiny allen head bolt you have to undo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDKGD3 View Post
Take a picture of the inside, outside and the side where the bolt comes out.
Should be easier for us to figure out if we could see it all
This is the inside of the handle.

The way I see it is that I should be able to lift it up somehow and turn 180°. But I can't seem to find anywhere to unscrew/loosen.

The little whole on the lever itself (which is usually how to turn side on a lever) has a screw that I can take off with hex wrench. But it seems that its purpose is to stop the square knob that connects the lever with the door mechanism. Without that little thing, the knob will go all the way in.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #10042
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I run an antenna at home here. I get global and CBC crystal clear pending where I put the antenna.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #10043

HEHE, you can’t remove that little Allen key, pull the knob\handle off its square “axle”, rotate it 90,180 or 270 degrees and place the set screw back in?

If that’s not the case, a pair of circlip pliers will make that whole assembly fall apart. Rotate it whatever direction you want and reinstall the circlip. Stop by my place in PoCo, and we’ll have you fixed up in 5 minutes.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 12-08-2019 at 04:21 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #10044

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
HEHE, you can’t remove that little Allen key, pull the knob\handle off its square “axle”, rotate it 90,180 or 270 degrees and place the set screw back in?

If that’s not the case, a pair of circlip pliers will make that whole assembly fall apart. Rotate it whatever direction you want and reinstall the circlip. Stop by my place in PoCo, and we’ll have you fixed up in 5 minutes.
Hahaha, I didn't even know what a circlip plier was for until you mentioned and I googled up.

After removing the allen key, it does nothing. The lever still turns as it should. As I said, the purpose of that thing seemed to be to hold the little spindle piece in place. Without the key, there's nothing preventing the spindle piece to go all the way into the lever (hence disconnecting from the latch mechanism).

Now, from what I can see, I need to find a circlip plier to open the retainer ring. My best guess is that the ring is holding everything in place. Once I release it, I should be able to rotate it 180°

Now the question is, what would be a sorta useful day-to-day circlip plier to get that would work for this and other potential DIY projects in the future? Seem to be a waste to buy a single tool just to open it up.

Last edited by Hehe; 12-08-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #10045
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Don't buy the tool then. Instead, go to PoCo, and buy Hud a beer or coffee, whatever he's into
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #10046

I bought a cheap set on Amazon for like 10 bucks. Pretty much junk but worked with frustration. Bought another set made by Channel Lock and they are lovely to work with. You don’t use them often, but when you need them... well it’s pretty hard to get by without them. Anyhow, my offer still out there. But with gas prices it may not be worth it. Lol

I’ve also used a set of needle nose pliers with the tips ground down to a point. That can work too.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #10047
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
I, too, have had to deal with shitty circlip pliers over the years. Cheap ones always failed........... then I got this.

https://www.amazon.ca/Knipex-00-20-0...5868165&sr=8-3

Dumb thing is, I have yet to use the set. LOL

It looks real purty, though.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #10048
I don't get it

Quote:
Hahaha, I didn't even know what a circlip plier was for until you mentioned and I googled up.

After removing the allen key, it does nothing. The lever still turns as it should. As I said, the purpose of that thing seemed to be to hold the little spindle piece in place. Without the key, there's nothing preventing the spindle piece to go all the way into the lever (hence disconnecting from the latch mechanism).

Now, from what I can see, I need to find a circlip plier to open the retainer ring. My best guess is that the ring is holding everything in place. Once I release it, I should be able to rotate it 180°

Now the question is, what would be a sorta useful day-to-day circlip plier to get that would work for this and other potential DIY projects in the future? Seem to be a waste to buy a single tool just to open it up.
If you are local, I can do it for you. If you try to do it yourself, make sure you note the orientation of the return spring behind the washer.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #10049

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywheel View Post
If you are local, I can do it for you. If you try to do it yourself, make sure you note the orientation of the return spring behind the washer.
I'd love to take the offer assuming you are in Burnaby and I go there often for work. But first, is your plier's tip small enough?

The tip size totally fucked me... I went to HD today on the way home for the plier. Came back... the hole on the ring was too small for the plier HD had in stock. Fuck... ok... Made another trip to go back to return it and to the nearby Crappy tire as HD didn't have anything smaller.

Got the smallest they had in stock and thought that'd be the exact size. Got home and it's just slightly bigger than the hole (so it won't go in).

After reading online a bit, it seems that I need one with a 0.9mm tip. But none of the major stores (HD, CT, Rona) has them in stock and I'd have to order it.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #10050

Most of the pliers have multiple tips that you change out pending the clip your working on. Unless your MG1 and buy the big daddy. Lol.

These are the ones I bought at crappy tire. If my memory is correct, 0.040 is 1mm, so .036” is pretty damn close to .9mm.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Channell...-927/100348008

Last edited by hud 91gt; 12-09-2019 at 04:52 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote