REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   buying tires from discount tire direct (https://www.revscene.net/forums/627681-buying-tires-discount-tire-direct.html)

threezero 10-15-2010 05:49 PM

buying tires from discount tire direct

did a search and see that many of you guys manage to brought tires from discounttiredirect and than have them shipped to pt.roberts

I'm trying to do the same thing except i can't find a way to pay if i'm not using a american credit card or us paypal account?

I'm trying to pay with either my canadian mastercard or a HK visa but couldn't figure out how to.

when i get to the payment step i'm instructed to put in a us billing address or else it doesn't work....

also the name field for shipping isn't long enough to put my full name (first and middle) to make sure sumone else with the same name doesn't pick up my stuff at pt.roberts...

how did u guys order? did u have to have a us credit card? don't want to go through tireracks cause the tires i want is 40$ more expensive at tirerack lol

TomBox_N 10-15-2010 06:17 PM

There is an amazing invention called the telephone. Use it.
Posted via RS Mobile

saveth 10-15-2010 07:30 PM

By telephone he means to call your cc company and add an alternate billing address.
Posted via RS Mobile

hirevtuner 10-15-2010 07:32 PM

why ship it when u can drive there (40 minute trip) they can install it for u and have a better chance at not getting taxed

threezero 10-15-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirevtuner (Post 7147076)
why ship it when u can drive there (40 minute trip) they can install it for u and have a better chance at not getting taxed

because the rims that i'm going to put the tires on isn't on the car yet

JqC 10-15-2010 08:07 PM

I was on the phone with DTD yesterday. I just put in my canadian address, but under state I just put WA and my shipping zip as my billing zip. They don't really care, the guy over the phone said it the order will still process. I think all they care about are the numbers on the credit card.

For your name, put in only your middle initial if the whole name won't fit.

threezero 10-15-2010 08:15 PM

^^ thanks thanks will try that later.

For the name tsb said that the package has to show the exact name that was register. Would it be ok with just the middle name as initial?

What are the chance someone else with the same name will pick up my stuff? What do they check when you go pick up your stuff? Just the name or name + phone number or whatever? It sucks to have a very common name.
Posted via RS Mobile

JqC 10-15-2010 08:20 PM

For me they just asked for my name and i think my DL as well...
I would call them tomorrow morning to clarify though.

too_slow 10-15-2010 10:27 PM

This is what I did last year:

-called up Discounttire in Tullalip (30min drive from the border.. 1 exit before the Seattle Premium Outlet) and asked them to price match the tires that I wanted on Tirerack
-Made an appointment to have the tires installed on the following week
-Drove down, they swapped the tires + balanced it
-25,000kms later (yes I drive a lot), the tires are still awesome :D

I'll be ordering some winter tires from them soon. Micheline currently has a $70 off thing if you buy 4 tires at the same time. It's stupid how the same tires (X-ice2) cost $50 more (EACH) in Canada (Costco)..

P.S. There's a bestbuy and starbucks right across from discounttire. I played MW2 on the PS3 demo machines until my car was ready! :thumbsup:

TRDood 10-15-2010 10:48 PM

Usually DTD is cheaper than the retail store. And they beat their own prices!

Factor in the cost for installation though. I was told that if you buy from retail store, mount and balance are free, but after PM, it will be something like $8 each.

Note: dont buy the tire warranty. They are not valid in Canada.
Posted via RS Mobile

alex.w *// 10-15-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too_slow (Post 7147288)
This is what I did last year:

-called up Discounttire in Tullalip (30min drive from the border.. 1 exit before the Seattle Premium Outlet) and asked them to price match the tires that I wanted on Tirerack
-Made an appointment to have the tires installed on the following week
-Drove down, they swapped the tires + balanced it
-25,000kms later (yes I drive a lot), the tires are still awesome :D

I'll be ordering some winter tires from them soon. Micheline currently has a $70 off thing if you buy 4 tires at the same time. It's stupid how the same tires (X-ice2) cost $50 more (EACH) in Canada (Costco)..

P.S. There's a bestbuy and starbucks right across from discounttire. I played MW2 on the PS3 demo machines until my car was ready! :thumbsup:

to qualify for $70 mir, you need to have there care one credit card

alex.w *// 10-15-2010 10:50 PM

ordered 4 wheels from them yesterday. shipping to blaine, will let you guys know if i will get taxed and how much.

keifun 10-15-2010 11:16 PM

umm you sure?

Ive ordered tires from them online many times. You can separately fill in the billing and mailing address. Plus they take all canadian credit cards. so yeah.

I get them shipped to Blaine, WA instead of Pt. Roberts.
In the end, its still cheaper than buying locally.

shenmecar 10-17-2010 05:19 PM

I spoke to Matt from discount tire direct on the phone to order sway bars, i told him i want to ship to a warehouse in point roberts and he had everything set up for me. He'll ask you for your credit card over the phone. Best to give them a call.

ilvtofu 10-17-2010 05:34 PM

I got my rims and tires from DTD the regular DT website wouldn't let me complete my order but direct went through fine for some reason haha

threezero 10-17-2010 06:06 PM

went ahead and ordered thru direct website. Though everything went through fine but got an email a little later saying they want to speak to me in person. LOL guess i can't avoid making the call than.

trd2343 10-17-2010 08:26 PM

I was wondering, if I'm going to declare my tires at the border (I'm not a good liar), would it still be cheaper to install the tires down in the states or bring it up and mount it here?

I thought TireRack was the place you get tires from if you're getting them in the states, but it seems that actually most of you here go for DTD instead. Are the deals better at DTD?

Besides DTD and TireRack, are there any more places I should check out? Besides Walmart, Costco, etc.

BoySupra604 10-17-2010 08:40 PM

I've found a way that you can pay less tax when crossing over the border by trial and error through discount tire direct.

1. Order your tires over the phone to DTD in Bellingham and put a resonable deposit on the tires you want to order eg.. 2 tires worth $500 put a $175 deposit

2.Drive down to Bellingham and pick up in person and pay full amount ($500) and have them print out a separate invoice for your deposit return and have them write on it $175 in store discount ect ect.

3. Drive back up to the Border tell the official you paid $325 for your tires and show your receipt with your discount and pay your taxes and off you go.

Tapioca 10-18-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reamemiya (Post 7149362)
I was wondering, if I'm going to declare my tires at the border (I'm not a good liar), would it still be cheaper to install the tires down in the states or bring it up and mount it here?

Discount Tire charges $15 per tire for mounting and balancing. They say it's a "lifetime" charge, but obviously you're not going to go down there just to get them rotated - good for residents, but meaningless to us.

I just had some tires installed last month and I wasn't charged anything after declaring the total value (CBSA asked for it.) You'll only get charged HST anyway because anything that is mandatory to a car's operation (like regular tires) is duty exempt.

hirevtuner 10-18-2010 09:18 AM

i bought their 3 yr tire/wheel warranty and this summer one my the tires had a nail stuck in it and was told by the local shop that the whole tire had to be replaced, called discount tire and just charged me $15 for the labor but got a new tire, so buying the warranty was worth it for me

christiankirana 10-18-2010 01:20 PM

try here http://www.tiresdirect.net/search.cfm ...

threezero 10-18-2010 03:30 PM

end up placing my order with tirerack instead..... discount tire direct didn't have any of my tires available and don't update their stock listing on the site either =\

krazynuck 10-18-2010 07:56 PM

I placed an order friday and going to go pick up my tires in Pt.Roberts from DTD i called a sales rep and he matched a price for me and gave me the shipping free still too

was very wasy and took like 5 minutes to complete....how much is shipping with tirerack?

threezero 10-18-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazynuck (Post 7150736)
I placed an order friday and going to go pick up my tires in Pt.Roberts from DTD i called a sales rep and he matched a price for me and gave me the shipping free still too

was very wasy and took like 5 minutes to complete....how much is shipping with tirerack?

$118 for me but tirerack had my tire listed cheaper than DTD. comes out to be 48$ more expensive than DTD but hey at least they have it in stock (thats what their website say i hope the inventory they have on the site is updated)

Cross my fingers and hope ALL of my tires will arrive.

too_slow 10-19-2010 05:21 PM

You should call the Discount tire store to pricematch discounttire direct or Tirerack.
The store that I usually go to is this one:
Discount Tire Co- more info »

2721 171st Pl NE, Marysville, WA, United States
+1 360-652-3198 () ‎ 3.9 mi N

It's the exit right before the Seattle Premium Outlets.

I'm actually thinking of doing a road trip to Portland over the next long weekend to pick up the tires (save on taxes!!) Group buy? LOL