REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Declaring goods that is paid with cash

I will be meeting up with a seller to pick up some car parts next week, I will be paying in cash for the goods. Under such circumstance where no invoice nor paypal record is provided, how do I declare the parts when I enter Canadian custom? Thanks
Advertisement
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
I found out there isn't a legit way..... I bought old tiburon wheels that were beat to shit for $150 down there (I overpaid big time and didn't know they were so beat up)

I said I paid $50 for them and even got the seller to write a note, sign it saying I paid $50....

At the border they didn't believe me when I said 50... and both me and my friend were questioned several times, he even ended up going on my forum and looking in the FS section to see if they were still there.

I asked him what it was gonna take for him to believe me and just tell me the real price... so I said 75, and he didn't take it... So at this point I was getting frusterated and jsut said, "fine I paid $100 for them, I thought I would save the duty though."

All of a sudden he belives me and shows me we were arguing over $3.00 difference in duty and says I shoudl just tell the truth to save the trouble....

So I guess just make sure you bring the ad you found the item on, and proof thats what its worth maybe?
Jgresch is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 5,514 Times in 415 Posts
i bought a set of wheel from a seller in the summer that lived in seattle. when i came back to the border i told them what i had paid for it, aswell as providing all the PM's and the original postings from the forum. that was good enough for them, and all i had to do was just go and pay the taxes.
loong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #4

ask the seller if he can write a short note or something.

me and my buddy went dow to picj up some rims and we had iphone+CL ad on+ Seller's notes and we got out without any problem.
Mkhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhokim86 View Post
ask the seller if he can write a short note or something.

me and my buddy went dow to picj up some rims and we had iphone+CL ad on+ Seller's notes and we got out without any problem.
What kind of information did you get the seller to write on the note?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
I found out there isn't a legit way..... I bought old tiburon wheels that were beat to shit for $150 down there (I overpaid big time and didn't know they were so beat up)

I said I paid $50 for them and even got the seller to write a note, sign it saying I paid $50....

At the border they didn't believe me when I said 50... and both me and my friend were questioned several times, he even ended up going on my forum and looking in the FS section to see if they were still there.

I asked him what it was gonna take for him to believe me and just tell me the real price... so I said 75, and he didn't take it... So at this point I was getting frusterated and jsut said, "fine I paid $100 for them, I thought I would save the duty though."

All of a sudden he belives me and shows me we were arguing over $3.00 difference in duty and says I shoudl just tell the truth to save the trouble....

So I guess just make sure you bring the ad you found the item on, and proof thats what its worth maybe?
Why didn't you just declare $150.

I'm pretty sure most of the time you only have to pay if it's more than $200 worth of goods.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
I might be going down there to swap some em1 seats for some recaro srd's lol still tryign to decide if I should even say anything, or just drive back sitting on my shiny new seats lol

IMO its not really worth lying about the crap you bought, never know how it might affect your future border crossing adventures lol
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
If it's off CL, I just print out the ad and get the seller to write a receipt on the back with a phone number. They understand how one can get harassed at the border so we always agree on a price to say if they get called.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
I always print out the ad and save a copy of the ad on my computer. I bring both the ad and the PayPal receipt and/or e-mail correspondence each and every time. If no e-mail or Paypal receipt, I always ask the seller to write a note stating what is being sold, the agreed price and direct contact information.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

I said I paid $50 for them and even got the seller to write a note, sign it saying I paid $50.... blahblahblah
It's amazing that CBSA didn't rip a new asshole in you for being such a cheapass moron.
sean_wong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Print out the FS: thread & your conversation between you and the seller.
it will be good enough.

worked for me many times at least.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Why didn't you just declare $150.

I'm pretty sure most of the time you only have to pay if it's more than $200 worth of goods.
This was 2 years ago btw, and they only time I had the experience of paying duty before then was ordering a 30 dollar part online, then having to pay $40 duty at the door. So I was about to pay $200 for shitty, old wheels...

And you have to pay duty on everything you bring back I'm pretty sure, unless you're staying overnight or multiple nights, in which case you are loud to bring back more? I forget how exactly it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_wong View Post
It's amazing that CBSA didn't rip a new asshole in you for being such a cheapass moron.
...lol

Well if I new it was going to be 6 bucks I wouldn't have gone through the trouble.... I was under the impression that duty was much higher... I'm am far from a cheapass I promise you that much

Edit: I failed you because your last 50 posts are not providing any useful information, only cutting people down and being a dick....
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #13

Quote:
This was 2 years ago btw, and they only time I had the experience of paying duty before then was ordering a 30 dollar part online, then having to pay $40 duty at the door. So I was about to pay $200 for shitty, old wheels...

And you have to pay duty on everything you bring back I'm pretty sure, unless you're staying overnight or multiple nights, in which case you are loud to bring back more? I forget how exactly it works.

...lol

Well if I new it was going to be 6 bucks I wouldn't have gone through the trouble.... I was under the impression that duty was much higher... I'm am far from a cheapass I promise you that much

Edit: I failed you because your last 50 posts are not providing any useful information, only cutting people down and being a dick....

You might wanna read here.
I think you are mixing up duty and taxes.

Most of the time when you buy shit in the state and bring them across the border you are paying the taxes (HST) when you declare them. Duties are rarely charged unless it's alcohol or tabacco.

When you said you got charge $40 of "duty" when ordered something for $30, again that wasn't duty.
It was most probably shipped by UPS/Fedex and the $40 was tax + brokerage fee.

Edit: Regarding OP's question, last time I bought some suspension parts down in the states, I just made sure I had the printout of the paypal transaction, FS thread on the forum and the seller's contact.
The border agent just looked through my printouts and let me go.

Unlike some who shall present and loudly proclaim "Have at it master!"

Last edited by joquio; 10-27-2010 at 09:02 PM.
joquio is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #14

^ you are correct. And I of course realized that after actually paying duty for the first time..

It was UPS or Fedex and was there brokerage fee+duty/tax or w.e, but at the time I thought it was only duty, creating the perception that duty is like 100% of the price of the good.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #15

Quote:
^ you are correct. And I of course realized that after actually paying duty for the first time..

It was UPS or Fedex and was there brokerage fee+duty/tax or w.e, but at the time I thought it was only duty, creating the perception that duty is like 100% of the price of the good.
Yeah, I think most of us got raped by UPS/Fedex at least once or twice when ordering parts from the states. I fucking curse them and strictly only use USPS to get stuff from across the border. Unless it's being shipped to Blaine/Point roberts.

Unlike some who shall present and loudly proclaim "Have at it master!"
joquio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #16

Yea I stick with USPS now as well. And obviously if I knew duty was so little I would have just paid the full amount in the first place. When he told me it was like 6 bucks total I kinda wtf'd....
Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #17

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Bring stuff to the States, all they want to know is if you are bringing over illegal stuff, substances and weapons.

Bring stuff to Canada, all they want to know is how much the stuff is that you're bringing over so they can tax you.
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #19
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Just out of curiosity, when you guys ship to PR, do you guys use TSB or the letter carrier?

Reasons?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

TSB because they actually check the name on your ID, but one time they emailed another guy with my same name to pick up my item.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #21
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Just get on your knees and put on some chapstick when he asks how much it is.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Just out of curiosity, when you guys ship to PR, do you guys use TSB or the letter carrier?

Reasons?
i use Letter Carrier, because i've never heard of TSB lol
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #23
RabidMod

Thanked 1,083 Times in 405 Posts
I just have them write a note stating what was purchased and what was paid for it, and sign their name at the bottom.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #24
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

fml

Last edited by danz; 06-27-2013 at 03:44 PM.
danz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #25

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post

Reasons?
I use Point 2 Point parcel, they are really close to the border and they are usually not busy. Their fees are also reasonable... and have been very prompt about e-mailing my stuff and whatnot.

All their stuff is under covered storage as well, so your tires are not sitting outside.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote