REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #26
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Chains and snowies and you'll be fine.
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #27
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Don't do undercoat unless you can specify and take out / mask out the things you don't' want them to get the gunk on.

As long as you live in a house / townhouse they call it condos.. you should be fine to take it there. It is warm there in the summer.. so having it there is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgman View Post
undercoat undercoat undercoat. Remember they use a shit load more salt than we do.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #28
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

buy a beater for the winter?
with the amount of abuse the s2k will take in the winter+snow tires and chains, it'll cost you less to get an old corolla
deep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #29
RabidMod

Thanked 1,083 Times in 405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Don't do undercoat unless you can specify and take out / mask out the things you don't' want them to get the gunk on.

As long as you live in a house / townhouse they call it condos.. you should be fine to take it there. It is warm there in the summer.. so having it there is nice.
Hmm. What do you recommend should be masked off other than the drain plugs for the oil pan, tranny, and diff?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #30
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Shouldn't have any problems with this

Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #31
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
The two biggest differences between winter driving in Vancouver and SWO are the ice buildup that you get out west from the fluctuations in temperature, and the amount of snowfall that can dump in a very short period of time. Our roads out here (Ontario) are generally much better maintained during the winter and the highways particularly are well plowed and sanded. Occasionally they'll fall behind if you get a day or three of solid snow falling but for the most part it's not that bad. The 401 and the 6/7 up to Guelph and Waterloo are kept up fairly well. Unlike taking highway 1 out towards Hope, you don't as commonly see vehicle after vehicle in the ditch, and that's because we get enough snow each winter that people actually know how to control their cars.

I'm in the market right now for an 05ish STI to replace my truck as it'll still be good to drive year round. The single biggest reason why I would shy away from bringing the s2k out isn't so much that it wouldn't be driveable (it probably would be okay most winters) it's more that the constant assault of salt and gravel on the roads will absolutely destroy the car.
THIS.
JL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
I still don't get why you are replacing truck with an STi? How does it help from getting assaulted by the salt and gravel?
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #33
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Driveshaft? sensors? Critical bolts and nuts? Drain holes... You do realise once the stuff is on, it will be impossible to remove things like bolts and not void the warranty on the coating.

I feel it is something that a monkey can do. I rather get access to a lift for a few weeks, unmount all the components and do it myself.

Oh I recommend you get the coating in TO instead of here. At least they do enough of them there AND you can complain if it was done wrong.

It also depends on your living arrangement. I have a feeling you will be living in Miss. instead of TO. chances are you will have a car garage. In that case, just use the car as a summer car and forgo the coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Hmm. What do you recommend should be masked off other than the drain plugs for the oil pan, tranny, and diff?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #34
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
I still don't get why you are replacing truck with an STi? How does it help from getting assaulted by the salt and gravel?
Ah, purely because it's one of the few vehicles that is truly great to drive in both summer and winter with minimal modifications (throw some snow tires on and you're good to go). As it stands right now my truck is handy to have, particularly in inclement weather, but rubbish to drive.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #35
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Chains and snowies and you'll be fine.

You wouldn't want to use chains out here for anything more than quickly getting yourself unstuck, and even still you're on the wrong side of the law. Both tire chains and even studded tires are illegal for use in Southern Ontario. Having good snow tires makes such a large difference in drivability though that it'd be stupid not to have them out here.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote