REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
RabidMod

Thanked 1,083 Times in 405 Posts
Snow in Eastern Canada: How bad is it really?

Anyone have any first hand experience with just how bad the snow will pile up out East? In the Toronto area in particular, and commuting between there, Waterloo, and Guelph.

Moving down there soon - maybe permanently - and I wonder if I could actually get away with bringing my s2000 with me. I own snow tires and I regularly carry chains in my trunk, but would that be enough?
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Banned (BBM)

sell the 2k and get a EVO/STI + snow tires and chain = ultimate driving machine
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

undercoat undercoat undercoat. Remember they use a shit load more salt than we do.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I lived in Gagetown New Brunswick during the winter time, and I've seen 4 ft of snow any given day. Personally it should be okay, since there will be guys clearing snow and salt on the road. I had a FWD with good snow tires all around and it was fine.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
The two biggest differences between winter driving in Vancouver and SWO are the ice buildup that you get out west from the fluctuations in temperature, and the amount of snowfall that can dump in a very short period of time. Our roads out here (Ontario) are generally much better maintained during the winter and the highways particularly are well plowed and sanded. Occasionally they'll fall behind if you get a day or three of solid snow falling but for the most part it's not that bad. The 401 and the 6/7 up to Guelph and Waterloo are kept up fairly well. Unlike taking highway 1 out towards Hope, you don't as commonly see vehicle after vehicle in the ditch, and that's because we get enough snow each winter that people actually know how to control their cars.

I'm in the market right now for an 05ish STI to replace my truck as it'll still be good to drive year round. The single biggest reason why I would shy away from bringing the s2k out isn't so much that it wouldn't be driveable (it probably would be okay most winters) it's more that the constant assault of salt and gravel on the roads will absolutely destroy the car.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I grew up in Winnipeg and have been there periodically through the winter since. I can not stress how much salt they pour on the roads there. As the above poster said 'Undercoat, undercoat, undercoat'.

They ARE better prepared for dealing with the snow back east and you will find as long as you're in well ridden/populated areas you'll be plowed pretty much the morning after any major snow fall. Which brings me to...

Invest in a good shovel. The plow that clears the roads will probably block your driveway.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
sell the 2k and get a EVO/STI + snow tires and chain = ultimate driving machine
Evo would be better because its a FWD based AWD driveterrain, thus more weight in front
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
I grew up in Ottawa, and honestly the best vehicle is definetly a 4runner or something similar. their was a picture after me shovelling a big ass snow fall off my driveway but by the time january was done, i couldnt fit any more snow on my lawn as it was way too high ( almost reaching the top of my garage) so i use to shovel the snow into a wheel barrell and bring it in my backyard.

on a unrelated note.

it gets really depressing their after a while, i mean nothing is more live than vancouver.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
RabidMod

Thanks for all the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
The single biggest reason why I would shy away from bringing the s2k out isn't so much that it wouldn't be driveable (it probably would be okay most winters) it's more that the constant assault of salt and gravel on the roads will absolutely destroy the car.
Interesting, I hadn't thought about this. Although, I can't seem to find any reason why an STI or Evo would be any less thrashed by the salt and gravel. Would ground clearance make a big difference?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa77 View Post
it gets really depressing their after a while, i mean nothing is more live than vancouver.
Even Toronto?!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
they get abit more snow out east but they are pretty good at clearing it

Old 11-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Even Toronto?!
yeah, because its so cold out everyone just stays inside. They only leave the house for work and groceries.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Keep the S2k.. Buy a used late 90s Legacy GT or an Impreza 2.2TS sedan as a beater.

P.S. Have you gotten an insurance quote on your S2k yet? Depending on your age and driving history, you might be in for some major pw3nage..

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #14

I moved to Ontario a couple years back and the snow isn't too bad. I've lived in London, Ontario (in the "snow belt") and am in Toronto now. As others have indicated, they're very good with clearing the snow here so your stook with snows is fine. FYI, I drive a 350z with about 4 inches of clearance and I've been fine.

Also, just because it's semi-related here's a picture I took last winter as I driving back from Pearson.. Yes... that thing has a turbos. :P

97ITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Even Toronto?!

Also... I'm not sure what that guy is talking about there.... I can't speak for the areas outside of downtown TO but people absolutely don't just stay home during the winter. With events and concerts happening every weekend plus nightlife comparable to every major metropolitan city in the world, I'm not sure how you can say Vancouver is livelier.... As an added bonus, when you go out here you don't have to worry about getting shot. People here are out to have a good time and are much, much more approachable.
97ITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #16

^false, the main reason i moved from ontario is because of queitness and boringness. Maybe toronto is a bit better but not that much. As for shootings, it happens everywhere.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
has anyone driven through the praries?
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

op, why are you leaving vancouver in the first place?

would this mean you leaving rs as well??
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
He's going to be working there. I don't see why that means he's leaving RS. He won't be here locally, but I'm sure he'll still visit online.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
has anyone driven through the praries?
i have, drove from ottawa too vancouver in a U-haul with my dad, 110k speed limit and nothing but farm fields all the way through, youll hit some towns up on the way for food and gas but thats it. Only exciting thing to is see is the farm fields change colour as you pass them.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #21
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa77 View Post
i have, drove from ottawa too vancouver in a U-haul with my dad, 110k speed limit and nothing but farm fields all the way through, youll hit some towns up on the way for food and gas but thats it. Only exciting thing to is see is the farm fields change colour as you pass them.
You wouldn't happen to know how the road conditions are in the winter do you? I almost wanna try driving an s2k across Canada in the dead of winter for a challenge lol. Seems like a once in a lifetime kinda thing.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #22
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
You wouldn't happen to know how the road conditions are in the winter do you? I almost wanna try driving an s2k across Canada in the dead of winter for a challenge lol. Seems like a once in a lifetime kinda thing.
theres a shitload of black ice around the rockies.
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #23

Quote:
i have no clue, i cant imagine it would be too good, because theirs not many stops and stuff and for the speed limit being 110, i highly doubt city workers would clean the roads out their. Its scary driving out their man lol, make sure you have plenty of safety supplies and food and DEFINETLY never let your gas meter go below half, we made that mistake and the truck was basically driving off fumes lol, i wouldnt go alone.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #24
I bringith the lowerballerith

Here is Ottawa in December.

Moved here from Van with my 'Cooper in 2006. I wouldn't even dream about driving your s2k during the winter over here. I see rust on cars made the early to mid 2000's here. The salt is a real killer.

On the plus side, people do know how to winter-drive out east, and I hear snow/winter in Toronto isnt as bad as Ottawa. We get down to -40 during January/Feb. Buy a winter beater and get a fucking warm winter coat!
Mrtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #25

^ i remember walking home from skool and when i breathed in my nose hairs would freeze toghether.