REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #51
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i wonder since they changed a few things, if they fixed the issues with the transmissions. I think its stupid to have a car with launch control, which then voids the warrenty, which then brakes a weak transmission, and then costs $30,000 to repair.

I was all for the GTR until i read about lots of transmission problems.
Advertisement

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #52
I bringith the lowerballerith

^ The only way Nissan could fix the transmission issues was to put a manual one in,from the looks of it,the problem is still not fixed.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #53
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
Old 02-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #54
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
damn that blue is hot
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #55
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Manual cars are dead Forget all those performance improvements... the interior looks damn sexy now~!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #56
I bringith the lowerballerith

wow...best 0-60mph time of 2.88 seconds
VrrM604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #57
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
this kinda goes with anything...a true Porsche 911 fans would rather have air cooled engine, but because water cooled engines are better, Porsche no longer sells air cooled 911.

a lot of train fans would rather stick to steam locomotive, but because electric powered bullet trains(TGV/Shinkansen) or maglevs are so much more efficient, I don't think they make steam locomotives anymore.

some people like analog stop watch than digital stop watch...

a lot of avaiation enthusiasts still love the radial engines than turbine (or jet) powered aircrafts, etc...

it will take time for people to adapt the change, but yeah, I don't think manual would be very efficient anymore.

What you're saying is kinda like Corsair or Zero Fighter are better/funner aircraft than F-35 or Su-37 because those airplanes are all electronically controlled rather than controlled by human airplane.
Timpo, this is true based purely on the fact that it is more efficient and it is a bit faster. However, efficient and faster is paper based, not reality based.

For example, the most expensive Ferrari is not the most recent model that is the fastest. Why? It is because there is something to be said for a car that has a history, a special feeling behind the wheel that isn't always about the speed of a car or the fuel economy.

A lot of cars that are made are garbage. I don't know anyone that buys a compact car or a van because they're passionate about how they feel while driving. That said, they have their purpose. It takes something different and unique to make a car special. It also takes an 'x' factor. I don't want to regurgitate Top Gear but it's true.

Take a muscle car for example. Yes, it's a huge engine that produces limited power. The car sucks in the turns and the brakes could probably be embarrassed by a sub compact car of today. Yet, some muscle cars will easily sell for $100k.

Why? It is not about the paper of 0-60 or 60-0 or G forces in the turns. There is something special about the sound and feel of a car that isn't perfect, yet it makes it perfect.

The GTR is a fast car. The old one was fast, this one even faster. It's also much faster taking an airplane somewhere too. What about the feel of the car? How does it feel sitting in an airplane?

I've driven the old GTR and I have respect for what it can do. It is a very fast car and for the price, it is impressive. Even a Corvette is very quick for the price and I was also impressed with how fast it was.

The thing is, I don't own either of them and couldn't be bothered to because they don't make me feel anything special. That's the sad thing about cars these days. It's all about the numbers but the feel and magic is gone from them.

I'm not bias to any company either. I think domestic cars from decades ago have some real magic. Yes, they suck by today's standards but they make you feel good driving them.

I personally feel as though Honda has long since lost their magic. The last really great car they made was the AP1 S2000 and the NSX.

Toyota lost their magic years ago after the supra. Same with Mazda and the list goes on.

I'm not bashing people's choices on cars and what defines special or fun might be different to different people. The fact is, I don't care about the numbers.

One of my favorite Ferrari's is the Testarossa which my father owns and I've had the joy of driving many times. It is a piece of garbage compared to a 458 and yet there is something special about driving a car that just about every kid had on their wall in the 80's. It was and still is an icon and really defined what Ferrari was for that generation. It's loud, it's mean, and it's slow and hard to drive. It's one of the best feelings getting into that car.

1960 Corvette Convertible. Again, it's slow and garbage by today's standards and yet it's an icon. It is a car that just has a special feel to it that no other car can give you.

The list goes on. I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of toys and also come from a family that was and still very much are car lovers with deep pockets.

Most people don't have that luxury and so I blame some of the desire for a numbers only argument on that lack of experience. The fact is, one of my summer cars is an S2000 with some suspension mods and a few other minor goodies.

It's a cheap car and in some respects, garbage compared to what else is out there on paper. The fact is, there is something neat about driving it. I enjoy driving what I believe to be Honda's last effort to really build what they felt was the best car they could make. When I drive it you can almost feel that they really wanted to build something special. The feel of the car is pure without the electronic gizmos getting in the way.

The GTR is a great piece of science. It's impressive what can be done on paper. The thing is, I'd much rather get blown away by a GTR but be having too much fun and excitement driving something that I can't get enough of, even if it's slow.

I can take a jet if I really need to get somewhere in a hurry.

Last edited by jameswift; 02-11-2011 at 09:31 PM.
jameswift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #58
mpr

Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #59
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I agree, if it was an Acura on the other hand.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat_R View Post
still a fucking Nissan -- not worth $100K+ to me

GTRs depreciate like CRAZY -- not holding their value

Not a good buy in Canada -- lease maybe ok
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #60
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Yaminashi View Post
So...what other cars dont depreciate like crazy?
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #61
mpr

Sports Cars with the Best Resale Value

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...-resale-value/
mpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #62
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmatic View Post
you relize its MSRP is 99k right?
http://www.nissan.ca/buying/configur...html?group=GTR

Another thing is, this car is like the italia. It drives you, you don't drive it. Its the only reason I'll never fully appreciate this car.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?

Last edited by bloodmack; 02-13-2011 at 10:06 AM.
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #63
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
lawnch controw doesn't void warrantie?
nice improvements
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #64
HELP ME PLS!!!

2013 GTR will have even more power and some minor suspension upgrades:

Nissan releases updated 542hp GT-R overseas [w/video]

Nissan Releases the 2012 Model Year Nissan GT-R

YOKOHAMA, Japan (November 7, 2011) - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. today announced the launch of the 2012 model year Nissan GT-R. The new model goes on sale November 24 in Japan and arrives in European showrooms in January 2012.

At a glance
- More power (550PS), improved economy and lower emissions
- Unique asymmetric suspension settings on RHD cars
- Enhanced transmission shift feel
- Special race tuned oils used in differential
- Body strengthened for even greater handling finesse
- Ceramic brakes option according to model
- New BoseŽ Precision Sound System woofers
- Rear view camera now standard
- New version 'For TRACK PACK' enhances GT-R's pure performance (RHD only)

Significant improvements to the engine, chassis and transmission, plus a new lightweight "For TRACK PACK" version (currently available in some market such as Japan, UK), which accentuates the pure performance potential of the GT-R are the key changes to Nissan's flagship model for the 2012 model year.

When it was launched, the iconic GT-R created a new type of super car. Performance and handling were exceptional, of course, but more importantly the car's potential was accessible to all drivers under all conditions. It was greeted with universal praise but Nissan's policy of constant development means the GT-R continues to evolve.

The latest version, which is due on sale in Europe in January 2012, is the most efficient yet. It offers even greater performance but this is allied to improved economy and lower emissions to provide further excitement to drivers and passengers.

As well as more power, the 2012 MY GT-R has a newly developed asymmetric suspension which compensates for greater weight on the driver's side in RHD models, enhanced transmission 'feel' and a stronger body for extra rigidity and ever better handling.

There's also the arrival of a new "For TRACK PACK" version (currently available in some markets such as Japan, UK) which inherits the DNA of the Spec_V model and turns the GT-R into a light-weight two seater for the ultimate in trackday performance.

2012 MY Nissan GT-R Overview

1. Mechanical Features
Engine
By improving the GT-R's engine efficiency, its fuel economy has been decreased from 12L. to 11.8L/100 Kms, while engine output rises significantly from 390kW to 404kW (550PS) from /6,400rpm with maximum torque of from 612 to 632Nm(64.5kgfm) from 3,200 to 5,800 rpm.

Engine response and torque at mid- and low-speeds, and power at high revolutions, has been significantly improved, mainly due to:
- Improved intake efficiency
- Better air flow resistance, which has been reduced by the addition of an intake manifold fitted to the head of each unit and the use of resin in the enlarged air intake duct for the intercooler.
- Improved exhaust emissions efficiency and enhanced control.
- Reduced air flow resistance thanks to a more compact under floor catalyzer which improves emissions efficiency and reduces weight.
- Improved exhaust valve cooling performance by the adoption of a newly-designed metallic sodium-filled valve. At the same time, valve control timing, the air mixture ratio and ignition timing have been improved.

Transmission
Shift feels and quietness has been refined thanks to a strengthened design of the shift fork arm and a firmer fixing bearing for the flywheel housing. A special differential oil R35 COMPETITION Type 2189E (75W140), which was developed for competition is now used in every version of GT-R.

Body
As well as greater power and torque, the reinforcing of certain areas around the rear part of the engine compartment and dash panel deliver more responsive handling while a greater sense of the vehicle's grip on the road is transmitted to the driver.

At the same time, more precise production methods, accompanied by advancements made in the vehicle body, have improved the inter-vehicle detection capability. This was achieved by changes in the positioning of the sensor and more rigid, highly-damped vehicle body, and by adding a more accurate acceleration sensor in areas with higher sensitivity in the vibration testing of each vehicle body.

Suspension and brakes
Accounting for the added weight of the driver in a right-hand drive vehicle coupled to the fact that the propeller shaft for front wheels is located on the right side of the vehicle; the GT-R's suspension in RHD versions has been set asymmetrically. For the front suspension, there's a harder spring rate on the left side while at the rear the suspension arm has been installed upwards on the left side and downwards on the right. This means an imbalanced wheel load when the car is stationary, but which is equalized during driving, providing improved responsiveness, smoothness and steering feel, as well as enhanced cornering stability and riding comfort (for RHD only).

NCCB (Nissan Carbon Ceramic Brakes) are available as a factory-installed option for the GT-R Premium Edition and EGOIST grade. These brakes accentuate the car's agile road hold and supple ride feel thanks to a dramatically-reduced spring weight and refined, sharp braking performance unique to carbon ceramics. (In addition, service parts prices for the rotors and pads have been reduced.)

2. Interior
The quality feel of the instruments placed in front of the driver have been enhanced by the addition of blue lighting inside the tachometer ring to match the shift position indicator light giving a more sophisticated atmosphere in the cockpit.

Rear View Camera device will be standard on all models.

The BoseŽ sound system woofers, have been changed to BoseŽ Precision Sound System woofers that were developed for the EGOIST grade to further enhance sound quality.

3. "For TRACK PACK" (currently available in some markets such as Japan, UK)
"For TRACK PACK" (currently available in some markets such as Japan, UK) is a new version in the GT-R line up, designed for customers who want to enjoy a more visceral driving experience in their Nissan GT-R.

Jointly developed with NordRing Company in Japan, it features revised suspension settings, extra brake cooling (front and rear), and aluminum-alloy wheels from Spec-V made by Rays (with black quartz chrome color coating). The front spoiler with carbon air duct has been exclusively made for this edition and is installed as a set.

To reduce the car's weight, this edition is a two-seat configuration with quilted fabric mats in place of the rear seats. The front seats are covered with leather and high-grip fabric, newly developed for the "For TRACK PACK" version and which firmly holds the driver in place during even the most spirited of trackday action (RHD only).

With the latest 2012MY version, the legend that is the Nissan GT-R continues to evolve.

News Source: Nissan

Last edited by BeefCake4000; 11-07-2011 at 12:06 PM.
BeefCake4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #65
G'd up! w000weee

I don't understand why it has a strip of LEDs if it also has DRLs...
Audi and Mercs only have the LEDS becuz they got rid of the DRLs
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #66
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

after driving a stick for so many yrs, and changing to a paddle type auto trans...i found the paddle shifting was more enjoyable through fast twisties...i could also concerntrate on my lines and handling more rather then having to think about down/upshifting, blipping the throttle etc...
Honda x 3
Mazda
Toyota
Suzuki
Subaru
Warp9Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #67
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

this is an amazing machine

to all who say the car has no soul or passion or is not special...you just don't seem to be able to appreciate the kind of work and engineering necessary to make all of the electronics and systems work as well as they do on this car

but then I'm an engineer and my definition of special may be different from others

big props to nissan for continuing to make exciting cars, this can't be said for many other Japanese cars these days
0112358 is offline   Reply With Quote