REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #4451
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Seems like it greatly varies on the location... "Snow" has been a joke in Vancouver. Been mostly rain. Sure, there's some snow here and there, but everything's slush on the inside streets, and main roads are completely cleared, as if it was any other rainy day.
Which part of Vancouver are you in? Downtown? Cause all the side streets in east van i've driven through is covered 3" thick ice and snow.
Advertisement
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #4452
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,509 Times in 4,901 Posts
Quote:
Smart car is like a MR/RR though. All the weight is over the rear wheels anyway.
Not the Electric Version..........
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #4453
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
My Beetle is RR. Great going up hills in a straight line, but turning is a bit tricky as it just wants to plow straight. With just 55 hp you can induce oversteer to get the car turnig without getting too crazy like a FR. Once you let off the gas, the weight of the engine gets the rear wheels back giving traction.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #4454
MG1

I thought I had the regenerative brakes all figured out, but in the snow, it helps a lot going downhill. No gears on an EV. With soft start and hill assist, it's actually very nice. As long as tires are good. I wasn't sure about the Continentals, but they're the only kind that'll fit the Smart for Two, because, staggered wheel/tire sizes. I am pleasantly surprised with the grip on ice.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #4455
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,891 Posts
I think we're done in Metro Vancouver, right?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #4456
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
I think we're done in Metro Vancouver, right?
Yeah beautiful sun is coming, time to wash the salt off the cars
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #4457
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex123 View Post
Are taxis required to have snow tires on during the winter? Because I see that they are either ripping through the traffic or going 30-40km/h
Don't think so. Its in their best interest to though.. The car is their life line. Don't see why they would risk getting into a accident. Snow tires would help with mileage too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Which part of Vancouver are you in? Downtown? Cause all the side streets in east van i've driven through is covered 3" thick ice and snow.
All main roads from downtown to east van to richmond are clear. Tbh most side roads (aside from hills) in east van are clear enough to drive too (I live around Boundary/kingsways)

Most of the "snow" from yesterday night didnt stick. It was very wet on and off. Even earlier today it was mainly wet snow/rain

Last edited by MelonBoy; 12-10-2016 at 07:32 PM.
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #4458
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,393 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
I'm bitching at how pathetic the local stores are in forecasting the demand, and how behind the industry you are in in terms of technology. I suppose that pushed your button? By your logic Lomac, if everyone had prepared a week in advance, the demand would still have not been accommodated because the shovels would've run out a week ago. You might as well be bitching and saying well then people should've bought snow shovels in summer in anticipation of the winter so that the demand would've not spiked so much. The truth is, I don't think you realize that there are way more things out there that are much harder to forecast, and there are models built to do a fine job at it. Now, how your company has operated is none of my business. A company can continue to do stupid things and remain status quo if there is a lack of competition. But it makes complete financial sense to be able to accurately predict demand spike, particularly in seasonal items.
... Looks like flagella was able stock up on salt at least.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #4459
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post

Logged in just to thank your post!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #4460
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Not the Electric Version..........

I guess the electric motor isn't as heavy as your typical motor, and maybe the heaviest thing in the car is in the middle where the battery is. But still better than your typical Front engine RWD, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
South Van, but I drove to BCIT area in Burnaby in the morning. Main roads were wet, maybe a bit of slush in certain spots, but generally nothing too much. Fresh snow was piled up on the side if you pull over to park.

Inside streets were slush to very little amount of snow. I could see the concrete penetrate through where tires have driven over.

That's my observation anyway. Kind of crazy to imagine there's still 3" of ice and snow in Vancouver, unless those inside streets are very secluded and haven't been driven on very much.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #4461
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Driving on the Fraser highway at night and there is a car pulled over on the side of the road. About a half a tire is on the road no problem. But here is where it gets stupid. The Asian girl who was driving it is standing beside the drivers side door on her phone. Cars are hitting there brakes and swerving so the don't hit her and she is standing in the middle of the road like nothing is wrong. I have to slam my brakes because there is another car beside me. I honk the horn and does nothing. except give me this blank look. WTF?
Old 12-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #4462
MG1

Quote:

I guess the electric motor isn't as heavy as your typical motor, and maybe the heaviest thing in the car is in the middle where the battery is. But still better than your typical Front engine RWD, lol.
Also, take into consideration the driver. Even a skinny Asian kid would weigh more than the engine........... wait. I take that back. The rage boy with hockey stick. Gulolol.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #4463
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Driving on the Fraser highway at night and there is a car pulled over on the side of the road. About a half a tire is on the road no problem. But here is where it gets stupid. The Asian girl who was driving it is standing beside the drivers side door on her phone. Cars are hitting there brakes and swerving so the don't hit her and she is standing in the middle of the road like nothing is wrong. I have to slam my brakes because there is another car beside me. I honk the horn and does nothing. except give me this blank look. WTF?
It's called asian caught in headlights.................

........... oh, deer!

Some asian chicks are dumber than a mannequin at a wax museum.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2016, 02:49 AM   #4464
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post

Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #4465
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
Appreciate the answer though. Just further confirmed how behind it is and I sure hope it's your temporary job. It did surprise me, however, how you managed to spew that it makes no financial sense to do it. I hope you don't carry that sort of backward thinking into your future jobs, whatever they may be. Local shops don't bother doing it because they will survive without doing so. It isn't because it makes no financial sense to do it
Gotta be sensitive what you say here. You would be surprised how many on this board are sustained by the 14 dolla balla jobs provided by the dying industry so they can continue to afford their car payments and go to school part-time. In the end, you can't expect much from this glorified tourist city with large retail presence. While we haven't created any companies worthy of note globally other than the nature that was given to us, our southern neighbor Seattle a few hours away is the birth place of companies including Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, Costco, Starbucks, etc. Something had gone deeply wrong here but the pride is strong at least.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #4466
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Squamish snow update - we've had over 12" the last few days and it is still lightly snowing here. The S2S highway is not in good shape, with heavy snow pack and very slippery conditions.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2016, 08:26 AM   #4467
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
I did the S2S yesterday, 6am up (took about 2 hours) and 430pm down (took about 2.5 hrs).

Wasn't too bad since it was generally plowed, and then light snow over again. Lines don't exist anymore(for certain sections, mainly north of Squamish), everyone follows the plowed lanes, which sometimes cuts into the passing lane. Be careful when passing in the passing lane, as it's usually not plowed and people move into them without any notice.

On my way down last night, there was a section that was two lanes SB and one NB. I, along with a lot of other ppl were in the passing lane, and this guy going NB took our lane(not sure if he realized or not). Thankfully it was far enough down that everyone in the passing lane was able to merge to the right lane. The guy going NB finally passes the single lane NB traffic and then merges back to the proper lane, but he starts fish tailing in a large domestic SUV. He managed to get it under control, but it took two lane widths to do it. And all of us in the passing lane SB were smart enough to get out of it. Probably would have shut down the S2S for awhile.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #4468
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Anyone know where salt is available today.
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #4469
MG1

Not today, but if you can wait, Home Depot will have a shipment of salt from Alberta sometime tomollow morning.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #4470
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts

This afternoon in Coquitlam.

Some of the cars are fucked lol. Good luck digging yourself out.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #4471
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
I'm guessing that's north of David cause maillardville is pretty clear.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #4472
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
is this citadel heights area? or behind coquitlam centre?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #4473
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Parkway Blvd

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #4474
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Gotta be sensitive what you say here. You would be surprised how many on this board are sustained by the 14 dolla balla jobs provided by the dying industry so they can continue to afford their car payments and go to school part-time. In the end, you can't expect much from this glorified tourist city with large retail presence. While we haven't created any companies worthy of note globally other than the nature that was given to us, our southern neighbor Seattle a few hours away is the birth place of companies including Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, Costco, Starbucks, etc. Something had gone deeply wrong here but the pride is strong at least.
Vancouver has Hootsuite which is highly regarded in the social media universe. They are in the process of restructuring, possibly prepping for an IPO.

Hey, it's one company at least

On topic:

I guess anything buried in snow will be fucked for over the next week, given the crazy temps we'll be having.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #4475
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Don't forget LuLu