REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #76
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
http://www.history.com/shows/top-gea...d-car-salesmen

this episode is rather fun. It's unique and genuinely not a ripoff from TG UK, and the jokes do work. Tim Allen is not that interesting but the stupid stuff they'd do to sell a car is not as much of a top gear ripoff as other stuff they have done until now. Tanner Foust is getting the hang of it and being less of a bore, too. Which is always a good thing.
Advertisement

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #77
Need my Daily Fix of RS

its def got growing pains, but rutledge is hilarious. his voicemail msg won major points in my ferris beuller loving heart
Old 01-16-2011, 01:46 AM   #78

So the season came to an end, and this is my understanding...

From the car salesman episode you can tell they are not going to hold any punches when they laugh at stupid cars, whether they are American or foreign..

Which explains, in the greater picture, why they are stuck with History channel - probably only channel out there not affiliated with some car maker in one way or another, making honest "Car guy's show for car guys" without the commercial strings attached in the back all but impossible when you are going to have to hold back because the channel is associated with this brand or this other brand....

So they got the platform to talk whatever they want about whatever cars they want in whatever manner they like..... Which is important for a show like Top Gear.

But that also means they are very limited on fundings. BBC2 couldn't care less what they do with car makers' relationships because it's the taxpayer's money, but they are also filthy rich and they have the RAF and other government arms behind them to help them making all those larger than life stunts we have all come to expect and love from the original TG.

And then there's TGUSA. If we are to duplicate the situation, and recreate the perfect storm they have been riding on in TGUK, you are talking about a government TV channel that is not backed by private sector in its entirety.....

...Which sadly, does not exist in a purely capitalistic non-royal society that makes up the US of A.

So the arrangement is probably as ideal as it gets for the TG production environment. Now TGUSA has to look for more money somehow, if the first season (which we have all seen in its entirely) takes off and becomes a returning show, they just might be able to find sponsors without conflicting interest to sponsor the production of the next season.

So given the arrangement so far, there is still hope that there will be a genuinely entertaining top gear for the US of A eventually.

Last edited by hk20000; 01-16-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #79

Oh there's also the finale episode of America's toughest truck....They made some stupid jokes about Canada too since they were in Alaska.
http://www.history.com/shows/top-gea...oughest-trucks
So....american's toughest truck is a....Toyota?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #80
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
^ I actually had many good laughs in that episode, hahahah @ tanner's many spoilers
Posted via RS Mobile
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #81
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I actually started to really enjoy the last few episodes. Yes, it still has some work needing to be done to it, but you can already see the chemistry growing between the hosts. The used care salesman segment was amusing and I was actually laughing out loud quite a few times during the truck special in the last episode. As hk2000 said, they're unfortunately stuck in a bit of a tough spot... Yes, History Channel isn't really affiliated with any automotive manufacturers (as fas as I can tell, anyway), but they don't have a lot of money to throw around. They truly need some greater financial backing if we want to view stunts similar to TG:UK, though I doubt we'll ever see anything of that calibre... at least, not for a while. I'm sure the USAF/Marine Corp/etc will be willing to help out if ever asked (that portion of the government always seems to enjoy helping out with films and tv shows, provided it doesn't paint them in a negative light), but that's probably about it. Honestly, I would love to see this show come back for another season with some greater financial backing in order to let them show off what they can truly do.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #82
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
would love to see they drive a toyota iQ thru a shopping center as a "test"
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #83
Banned (ABWS)

Wow, I didn't realize this shows already been on for a full season. I thought yesterday wad the first episode until I saw this thread. LOL. I guess that means I font have to wait every week, I'm sure I can find the torrents somewhere.

Anyone else think that "The Stig" is Paul Tracy?
Posted via RS Mobile
g_spyder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #84
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

personally, I think they just use Tanner as the stig.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #85
Boost Lee

Last edited by 1BADMR2; 01-16-2012 at 06:06 AM.
1BADMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote