REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtanner_ View Post
^

Anybody have recommendations for places to buy brake pads/rotors? Is it better to go for an aftermarket brand as opposed to oem?
Posted via RS Mobile
I buy all my parts in the US and ship to Point Bob. Just find a US forum for your car and ask where people order from, I did that for my GF's Volvo.

Just did the rotors and pads on her XC70. Shop wanted $1200, mostly cause rotors were $150/each and pads $100/pair, $800 of parts alone. Found rotors online for $35/each and pads for $40/pair, OEM equivalents with good reviews (aka not cheap crap from China that will warp/breakdown) for a grand total of ~$250 including shipping.

With what I saved I bought a new low profile aluminum jack, metric/SAE wrench sets, and an adjustable wrench set too!
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #27
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,256 Times in 1,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
spelling police is on full patrol.

hide your wife, hide your daughter
i can't even...
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #28
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I find Midas is typically more expensive than dealer specials so OP should do a comparison. Usually it is acquaintances / coworkers that bring up they went to Midas, and when I told them to give places like Acura etc a call, they ends up to be quite a bit cheaper. YMMV.

There are plenty of board sponsors.. why not visit them?

If you need to do rear drums, I would get them done at a shop. It is messy and dusty. Those dust is not that healthy when it billows out. Yes drum brakes don't need as much servicing, since it is a sealed unit. It is quite intricate, so look for the condition of the springs etc.

Flush the brake fluid while you are at it.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I took my beater to discount auto for new rotors and it cost me 85 each with labor, which is a good price I think.
When I get my new car I will try to learn to work on my car.
Posted via RS Mobile
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
lol you corrected someone but you made the same mistake!

and while im at it, the wandering you wrote is for movement, its wondering the word you want to use!
I know, I was totally trolling in the first part of my post LOL I'm suprised anyone would think I type like that hahah

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #31
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
I took my beater to discount auto for new rotors and it cost me 85 each with labor, which is a good price I think.
When I get my new car I will try to learn to work on my car.
Posted via RS Mobile
Dude, a beater is a great car to learn on, no worries about breaking shit and you get the pleasure of dealing with rusty stuck bolts.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote