REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #26
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX35 View Post
And not to go off-topic, if GT-R is Nissan's halo car and for god's sake, commanding a $110,000 price tag, why does it still come with halogen DRLs? I stand to the corrected, but I could swear the yellow-ish reflector housing is meant to be halogen DRLs:

http://www.pulsarmedia.eu/data/media...t_1024x768.jpg
You have officially asked your first stupid question on RS.

BTW, talking about small projectors, look at the first gen 350z.
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #27
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
You have officially asked your first stupid question on RS.

BTW, talking about small projectors, look at the first gen 350z.
Since you are so smart, why not answer my question instead of directing the thread to 2003-2005 350Z.
FX35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #28
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

Quote:
Wow this discussion is getting out of control LOL.

I am going back to stock. FX35 has decent size projectors. Maybe I am just getting too tired of this riced up 6000K look.

It makes sense that smaller lenses *probably* project less light. But if that's the case, has anyone noticed that GT-R has REALLY small projector lenses? I didn't measure, but it appears to be 33% smaller than lenses found on typical G / FX / M / Z / Maxima

Now why is that?

And not to go off-topic, if GT-R is Nissan's halo car and for god's sake, commanding a $110,000 price tag, why does it still come with halogen DRLs? I stand to the corrected, but I could swear the yellow-ish reflector housing is meant to be halogen DRLs:

http://www.pulsarmedia.eu/data/media...t_1024x768.jpg

We carry Optix D2 5k or 6k, 8k bulb, they are offering brightest out put if you compare them with other brands of D2 bulbs. Come try it out, we also have 85122+, you can compare both bulbs here in our shop.

Retail
Crystal Mall
2307-4500 Kingsway
Burnaby, BC V5H 2A9
Tel. (604) 435-3285
12:00pm to 7:00pm open 7 days

Retail
Super Garage (Aberdeen Centre)
1390-4151 Hazelbridge Way
Richmond, BC V6X 4J7
Tel. (604) 295-6622

Retail
Overdrive (Metrotown Center)
4700 Kingsway, Unit E10
Burnaby, BC V5H 4M1
Tel. (604) 559-8855

Old 12-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #29
nns

Quote:
Since you are so smart, why not answer my question instead of directing the thread to 2003-2005 350Z.
The Nissan engineers probably thought to themselves, "We're not going to waste our time on some stupid detail like what type of device is used for DRLs", and went back to smashing Porsche lap times.

It's a freaking light bulb. Who the hell cares about that? The GTR is not meant to be known for what type of bulbs it uses. That's why your question is so stupid. Even worse, you don't realize how stupid it is.

And BTW, you're the one who "directed" the thread to a discussion about projector size.

Quote:
It makes sense that smaller lenses *probably* project less light. But if that's the case, has anyone noticed that GT-R has REALLY small projector lenses? I didn't measure, but it appears to be 33% smaller than lenses found on typical G / FX / M / Z / Maxima
Old 12-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #30
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
That's why they are small.. last gen Hellas were already 3".. current gens are 4" if not larger.

Japanese are a few steps behind the Europeans when it comes to lighting and safety because their philosophy and priorities, eg JDM cars don't typically get to autobahn speeds.

You want the latest and best lighting, always go for the large volume European manufacturers.
You try retroing 3" or bigger into a DC5 housing and tell me different.
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #31
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
If you're okay with getting new ballasts, you can run 55W HID bulbs, as opposed to your old 35W's. They'll be massively brighter - there are threads on this on s2ki, I'm sure there will be more information on this on your own forum.

The complete ballast and bulb kits are surprisingly inexpensive. Take a look on Ebay.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #32
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
The Nissan engineers probably thought to themselves, "We're not going to waste our time on some stupid detail like what type of device is used for DRLs", and went back to smashing Porsche lap times.

It's a freaking light bulb. Who the hell cares about that? The GTR is not meant to be known for what type of bulbs it uses. That's why your question is so stupid. Even worse, you don't realize how stupid it is.

And BTW, you're the one who "directed" the thread to a discussion about projector size.

I've been warned about the amount of jerks on RS prior to posting here, and boy, I think I've just met the 1st example LOL.

My question was legit - a halo car of an automaker should be the fastest / most luxury / technically advanced model. We all know the GT-R is feared for its capability of kilingl supper cars. But I was still hoping to see more modernized design elements such as LED turn signals and LED DRLs instead of cad / halogens.

If YOUR philosophy stands, why don't we see halogen reflectors on 458, or even 430?

If you don't have an answer to my question - which clearly, you don't, why not go away instead of trashing people's thread? This kind of act only makes you look like a 16 year old noob.

I don't know which is more sad: 1) Nissan tacking on LED strips onto GT-Rs front bumper, or 2) you sir taking my question to another completely different topic while demonstrating to everyone else on the forum how much of a loser you are.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #33
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDoutlet1 View Post
We carry Optix D2 5k or 6k, 8k bulb, they are offering brightest out put if you compare them with other brands of D2 bulbs. Come try it out, we also have 85122+, you can compare both bulbs here in our shop.
Thanks man. I happen to be closeby to Crystal, and will swing by one day to see the difference.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #34
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:

I just re-read your post and laughed.

My thread IS about lighting and projectors. How is that a re-direction???

You are the one that started bashing me for asking lightbulb questions on a GT-R, since GT-R is so fast!!!!!!111!.

YES, we all know that, you moron.

ROFL.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #35
nns

Man, you are so right. Nissan must be crying themselves to sleep every night wondering why didn't they just play monkey-see-monkey-do with Ferrari and put a bunch of LEDs all over the place.

Of all the things they got right, you decided to make a small detail a big issue. But hey, if LED DRL's are the only thing stopping you from buying a GTR, a Ferrari, a rocketship, then I sure hope they get that on there ASAP. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #36
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

The crappy light output of the FX is a problem that has been acknowledged in the FX forums, I have gone back to 4300k in mine and I am tempted to try a 55W ballast to see of it gets better, in the meantime I have replaced the OEM fogs with PIAA 1000's with 55W HID and that has really helped, it was just plain dangerous before, I was driving on the upper levels in the rain a few weeks ago and could not see a thing - that was the last straw.

Am I the only one who finds that HID in a reflector housing actually provides MORE light???
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #37
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Man, you are so right. Nissan must be crying themselves to sleep every night wondering why didn't they just play monkey-see-monkey-do with Ferrari and put a bunch of LEDs all over the place.

Of all the things they got right, you decided to make a small detail a big issue. But hey, if LED DRL's are the only thing stopping you from buying a GTR, a Ferrari, a rocketship, then I sure hope they get that on there ASAP. Good luck.

ROLF!

You sir need to get a life. Or get laid.

#1 Did I say I was going to buy a GT-R / prancing pony?

#2 Did I say I anything about GT-R's performance?

What you GT-R fanboi or something? Hahaha!

If you have nothing constructive to say, which you don't, why not go troll in a GT-R thread instead of running your mouth in my light thread.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #38
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus View Post
The crappy light output of the FX is a problem that has been acknowledged in the FX forums, I have gone back to 4300k in mine and I am tempted to try a 55W ballast to see of it gets better, in the meantime I have replaced the OEM fogs with PIAA 1000's with 55W HID and that has really helped, it was just plain dangerous before, I was driving on the upper levels in the rain a few weeks ago and could not see a thing - that was the last straw.

Am I the only one who finds that HID in a reflector housing actually provides MORE light???

I wouldn't say reflector + HID provides MORE light. That appear to the be the case, because reflector housing casts lights EVERYWHERE, instead of a concentrated straight beam.

I am strongly against using HID kits in conjunction with reflector housing, especially in the trucks. And unfortunately, 90% of the trucks I see tend to have these. AND they like to tailgate, amplifying the undesireable blinding effect.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #39

Quote:
I wouldn't say reflector + HID provides MORE light. That appear to the be the case, because reflector housing casts lights EVERYWHERE, instead of a concentrated straight beam.

I am strongly against using HID kits in conjunction with reflector housing, especially in the trucks. And unfortunately, 90% of the trucks I see tend to have these. AND they like to tailgate, amplifying the undesireable blinding effect.
What about all the cars with factory HID in a reflector housing?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #40
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
What about all the cars with factory HID in a reflector housing?
Ok, name one?

HID's only come stock with a projector housing.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:28 AM   #41
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Ok, name one?

I think the IS300 did, and older TL's RL's and CL's?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #42
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
^ Also older gen Maximas, G35s, and Escalades. I'm sure there are a few others as well.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #43

Alright, I deserve a self-fail on that one. I actually found a few more when I looked a little harder... but apparently those cars aren't your typical halogen reflector housing, or they use a shielded xenon bulb (first time I've seen those.. pretty cool actually..).

Quote:
Older TL's, older G35's, Lincoln navigators, older Cadillacs, etc. use HID reflectors, not halogen reflectors. They are not the same design, which is why they pass DOT specs and are LEGAL
But never did a Civic come with HID reflectors... so I still flame on those shops that install HIDs in them. Fuck you!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #44

Quote:
Alright, I deserve a self-fail on that one. I actually found a few more when I looked a little harder... but apparently those cars aren't your typical halogen reflector housing, or they use a shielded xenon bulb (first time I've seen those.. pretty cool actually..).

But never did a Civic come with HID reflectors... so I still flame on those shops that install HIDs in them. Fuck you!
OK, fuck me, but at least I can see at night.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #45

Quote:
OK, fuck me, but at least I can see at night.
At least you can... I can't anymore, because you blinded me.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:15 AM   #46
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

^ lolz

anyways i'm using a 5000k 55w DDM tuning hid kit in s2000 projectors.... hella fucken bright with a sharp cutoff. ddm tuning is so cheap i just went ahead and bought 2 sets... its been over a year already and i'm still on the first set.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 AM   #47
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
The D2R is the HID bulbs that are designed for HID reflector and glass defusers. Mercedes was one of the early Bosch adopters.

Another issue with retrofits is since the original plastics are typically not designed for the amount of UV the HID throws out. They are prone to cracking and yellowing.

Quote:
Ok, name one?

godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #48
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
I recently install the morimoto 6000k bulb for my fx it is alot brighter than ricer bulbs nd if u know where to go it only cost around $35 shipped.
Posted via RS Mobile
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
FX35 actually has projectors... so not like a fucking idiot putting HID's in a stock reflector housing and blinding everyone on the road.

People who do that to cars should have their hands cut off.
if they make cutting hands off legal, there will be alot of detached hands in langley/abbotsford area