REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #551
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,171 Posts
I love the Rafale! : I love French planes. : And certain French cars. : And French women. :
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #552
The "You'd Know" Moderator

^ Aye, Sir Render.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:36 AM   #553
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
i'm thinking of applying for AF, and i'd love to fly a plane, but will i even have a chance with 0 flight experience?

otherwise i'll probably just go for one of the tech positions.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:41 AM   #554

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
i'm thinking of applying for AF, and i'd love to fly a plane, but will i even have a chance with 0 flight experience?

otherwise i'll probably just go for one of the tech positions.
To answer your question simply. Yes. Will you have less a chance than all the people with flight experience? Maybe, not sure how they 'pick' candidates to be honest.

If you want to do it, get your application in this month or next because they started processing them pretty soon.

Do you have a degree?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #555
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
Many SOCOM guys seem to be pissed at Pfarrer, his book, and this newpaper article.
Haha, I love it. The public will never know the truth about what really happened.
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #556

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
Haha, I love it. The public will never know the truth about what really happened.
Maybe in 50 years
Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #557
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
To answer your question simply. Yes. Will you have less a chance than all the people with flight experience? Maybe, not sure how they 'pick' candidates to be honest.

If you want to do it, get your application in this month or next because they started processing them pretty soon.

Do you have a degree?
i don't. so i'd be going to RMC probably. or do i need one to even apply?

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #558

Quote:
i don't. so i'd be going to RMC probably. or do i need one to even apply?
You might go to RMC or if you're lucky they'll let you go to a civilian university out here which is what i'm doing. No you don't need a degree, I'd suggest getting your degree through the military isntead of going Direct Officer Entry (what happens when you already have the degree), ask JD how that's going for him haha.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #559
VAC Head Rotang Mod

haha ya, i've just read thru the whole thread. i feel bad for him. you'd think the DOE's would have an easier time of it haha.

guess there's nothing for it but to do it. i've started filling out the app. online, so i guess i'll finish it up and send it in and see where it goes.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #560
I Wanna Go Fast!

I'm basically fucked to be honest with you. If DEO slots don't open in April pilot is dead for me. I'm now talking to the US Navy and Marines. If I have to give up being an Officer to pursue a position like SARTech or another elite operations unit I might as well do it in the States where there are more positions available, bigger budgets, better equipment, and less bureaucratic clusterfucking.

In Canada right now if you want to be a pilot you have to get into RMC right out of highschool, or go ROTP and deal with the holding pattern. If you already have a degree the military won't find a spot for you over all the RMC and ROTP guys who are "in line" despite the fact that you are ready to go for training immediately. The backlog is over 600 people long and Bombardier is hoping to have 135 pilots trained for the RCAF in the next two years! The RCAF is going to run out of pilots and shit is going to hit the fan. It's inevitable, and we have the greed of Bombardier to thank for it.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #561
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,228 Times in 171 Posts
Quote:
I'm basically fucked to be honest with you. If DEO slots don't open in April pilot is dead for me. I'm now talking to the US Navy and Marines. If I have to give up being an Officer to pursue a position like SARTech or another elite operations unit I might as well do it in the States where there are more positions available, bigger budgets, better equipment, and less bureaucratic clusterfucking.

In Canada right now if you want to be a pilot you have to get into RMC right out of highschool, or go ROTP and deal with the holding pattern. If you already have a degree the military won't find a spot for you over all the RMC and ROTP guys who are "in line" despite the fact that you are ready to go for training immediately. The backlog is over 600 people long and Bombardier is hoping to have 135 pilots trained for the RCAF in the next two years! The RCAF is going to run out of pilots and shit is going to hit the fan. It's inevitable, and we have the greed of Bombardier to thank for it.
This is partially the reason why I was discouraged to try DEO
I knew my chances would be low.

My other thought was RAF, since I'm British and have family in the armed forces there.
Anyone think that could be a viable option?
Powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #562
I Wanna Go Fast!

The RAF has also been neutered of the federal government. They've had entire groups of cadets laid off. Some guys were literally 2-3 flights away from getting their wings when the RAF has stopped their training and laid them off. Not like they're getting a new posting but a "you're a civilian in 48 hours" notice. BRUTAL.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #563
VAC Head Rotang Mod

^that is ridiculous.

if i can't get pilot i was looking at Aircraft structures tech, aviation systems tech and aviation telecommunication

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #564
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,228 Times in 171 Posts
well I guess there's always commercial aviation....
Powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #565

JD do you have american citizen ship then? The only thing that could make me live in the states is being a pilot there, their program is so much better and there's way more planes to fly.

Quote:
The RAF has also been neutered of the federal government. They've had entire groups of cadets laid off. Some guys were literally 2-3 flights away from getting their wings when the RAF has stopped their training and laid them off. Not like they're getting a new posting but a "you're a civilian in 48 hours" notice. BRUTAL.
Ya, read that in one of my magazines the other day. They spent all their money on a couple of new aircraft carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
well I guess there's always commercial aviation....
Hey man, there's lots of fun in it too. I wouldn't have been angry really if I hadn't got it.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #566
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
JD do you have american citizen ship then? The only thing that could make me live in the states is being a pilot there, their program is so much better and there's way more planes to fly.
No, so to be a SOCOM operative I would have to obtain it before I'd ever meet the security classifications. By the time I'm in and do my first tour I'd have all that taken care of. I wouldn't be allowed to try out for anything before I've completed a tour anyway.

Question now is whether to go Army, Marines, or Navy. Marines get all their Medics from the Navy so I think that rules out the Marines. FORCECON doesn't take on many of them anyway so it would be more difficult to get into FORCECON as a Navy Corpsman (Medic). Plus if I'm already in the Navy why not try out for the SEALS. I'm doing as much research and talking to as many people as I can right now so that come April I will have a solid backup plan in place to jump ship to the US should Canada not take me.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #567
VAC Head Rotang Mod

you really did get the shit end of the stick in this whole situation didn't you =[

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Old 11-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #568
I Wanna Go Fast!

Last edited by JD像; 09-02-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #569
VAC Head Rotang Mod

i don't understand why they're valuing an applicant that wont even be able to start flight training for 2-4yrs over someone that you could throw at a hardvard right off the bat...

you'd think they would want to get thru the backlog of people that they can churn out into active duty the fastest first...

cost over time and all that.

cause i mean, for someone like me, no degree, no flight experience, i would think i would be at the bottom of the pile for sure.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Old 11-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #570
VAC Head Rotang Mod

is there anything i should study for the aptitude tests or anything? or is it more of a cognitive test to see how much you're able to process at once?

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Old 11-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #571
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
^that is ridiculous.

if i can't get pilot i was looking at Aircraft structures tech, aviation systems tech and aviation telecommunication
I'm one of those. Unfortunately, none of those trades are open right now. We just went through a huge AVN recruiting drive.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #572
VAC Head Rotang Mod

well it would be a while before i reached the point of job entry anyway. i'd still have to do my schooling.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Old 11-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #573
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post

Heritage flight over Manhattan: P-51 Mustang, F-16 Fighting Falcon, A-10 Thunderbolt II, F-15 Eagle.
could've fooled me for a blockbuster movie sequence
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #574

Quote:
is there anything i should study for the aptitude tests or anything? or is it more of a cognitive test to see how much you're able to process at once?
Long division/multiplication by hand and in your head. You're not allowed a calculator.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #575
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Long division/multiplication by hand and in your head. You're not allowed a calculator.
This is the biggest thing, it makes up the vast majority of the math (biggest) portion of the test. The English and spacial awareness you can't really study for though I would suggest looking over the mock exam to get an idea what you'll be up against. The spacial awareness portion gets extremely difficult.

I will without a doubt have to renounce my Canadian citizenship to make it anywhere in the US military. To get even a Secret clearance to join the Army Rangers you must be a US Citizen, no duals allowed. May be the route I take in April as it's the most natural feeder to the USAF PJ, SEALS, Green Berets, Delta Force, etc. Also in the Army Warrant Officers can fly rotaries, which means Apache's and Blackhawks aren't out of the question though a non-commissioned in an Apache is rare from what I gather.

The research continues.....