REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #676
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
JD, your dad flies the Sabre?!
Yes sir.

Please note the Hoola Girl on the dash

Newest Canadian astronaut Jeremy "Weed" Hansen will be joining the team this year as Chris Hadfield will be launching out of Russia to command the International Space Station in November.

From: http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/astronauts/biohansen.asp

Education: Major Hansen holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Space Science (First Class Honours) from Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario (1999). He earned a Master of Science in Physics from the same institution in 2000, with a research focus on Wide Field of View Satellite Tracking.

Organizations: Canadian Armed Forces, 1994 to present

Special Honors: Canadian Forces Decoration - 12 Years of Good Service (October 2006), Canadian Air Force Pilot Wings (May 2002), Clancy Scheldrup Memorial Trophy - Outstanding Graduate on the Basic Flying Course (2001), Air Cadet League of Canada Award - Top Air Force Graduate from the Royal Military College of Canada (May 1999).

Experience: Prior to joining the Canadian Space Program, Major Hansen served as a CF-18 fighter pilot and held the position of Combat Operations Officer at Four Wing Operations in Cold Lake, Alberta. His responsibilities included ensuring the effectiveness of NORAD Air Defense Operations and the operability of Deployed and Forward Operating Locations (Bases).

From 2006 to 2007, Major Hansen served as a CF-18 fighter pilot in 409 Tactical Fighter Squadron, where his responsibilities included leading tactical formations and serving as a Maintenance Test Pilot. From 2004 to 2006, he served as a CF-18 fighter pilot in 441 Tactical Fighter Squadron, where his responsibilities included NORAD Operations, Deployed Exercises and Arctic Flying Operations. He completed his CF-18 Fighter Pilot Training in 410 Fighter Training Squadron from 2003 to 2004. His experience also includes frequent deployments to the United States and Europe.

Major Hansen’s flight career began at the age of 12, when he joined the Air Cadet Program. He obtained both glider and private pilot licenses through this program by the age of 17. This experience led to his acceptance to Coll銶e militaire royal in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec.

NASA Experience: Major Hansen was selected in May 2009 as one of two members of the third Canadian Astronaut selection. He is one of 14 members of the 20th NASA astronaut class. In 2011, Major Hansen graduated from Astronaut Candidate Training that included scientific and technical briefings, intensive instruction in International Space Station systems, Extravehicular Activity (EVA), robotics, physiological training, T-38 flight training and water and wilderness survival training. Since his graduation, he is assigned as Crew Support Astronaut for Expedition 34/35.
Advertisement

Last edited by JD像; 02-25-2012 at 11:57 AM.
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #677
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
I always thought this was really cool:

they still use it to this day, of course it's not as crazy. it's totally toned down.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #678
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Wow, haha, I met him in the summer of 2009 in Victoria! Great guy, showed us the plane and everything.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #679
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRX SiR View Post
A pic of the Herc that caught fire in Florida. Im curious what fellow revsceners would like Canada to purchase in regards to aviation. Also stating why.
Thanks for finding a photo. The flight crew placed the engines in full feather for emergency shut down of the engines. Usually on a proper shut down the pitch of the props would be very fine (flat).

I personally have worked on DND herc for a few years. I've since moved on. I talked to one of my buddies that still work on them. The speculation is that the fire occurred by the loadmaster seat, which is located by the left paratroop door. They think that the fire could have been caused by a leaking O2 line, that some how got mixed with oil. This is all speculation of course.

342 actually has some nice mods that were installed. Engine display's were converted into glass (LCD screens), and new comfortable loadmaster seat was installed too. Such as shame
Old 02-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #680
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
Wow, haha, I met him in the summer of 2009 in Victoria! Great guy, showed us the plane and everything.
Yep that would have been him!

Keitaro - It was a liquid O2 fire, damn near burned a hole right through the top of the aircraft. Everyone on board is lucky to be alive, Herc looks to be a writeoff.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #681
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
Yep that would have been him!

Keitaro - It was a liquid O2 fire, damn near burned a hole right through the top of the aircraft. Everyone on board is lucky to be alive, Herc looks to be a writeoff.
If the leak was at the loadmaster seat area (left paratroop door) the O2 would have been in a gaseous form rather than liquid. The conversion from liquid to gaseous happens right at the tank via the "liquid 02 converter" which is found in the nose gear wheel well right hand side. The converter is basically right at the tank. There is a shutoff valve located at the F.S. 245 bulkhead which separates the cockpit and cargo compartment's O2 system.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #682
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

A couple more Herc Pictures for you.

Canadian Forces Cyclone Training On

An article I found on the Cyclone the other day for the person wondering whats up with it.

15 Lincoln MKC 2.3L Ecoboost

07 RAV4 Limited V6 *Sold*

90 CRX *Sold*
B16A, larger throttlebody and wires, lowered, 16" rims, front and rear upper strutbars, intake, white gauges, cross drilled brakes, exhaust, other small mods

05 Escape Limited *Sold*
CRX SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #683
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

One of the ex VH-71's (US presidential replacement helicopters) being transported up to Canada for spare parts for the Cormorant fleet

15 Lincoln MKC 2.3L Ecoboost

07 RAV4 Limited V6 *Sold*

90 CRX *Sold*
B16A, larger throttlebody and wires, lowered, 16" rims, front and rear upper strutbars, intake, white gauges, cross drilled brakes, exhaust, other small mods

05 Escape Limited *Sold*
CRX SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #684
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
This thread needs some bump'age!

Amazing story of ejecting at supersonic speeds, and the heart aches that come along with being a military pilot.

F15 Ejection at Supersonic speed - YouTube!
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostslut View Post
This thread needs some bump'age!

Amazing story of ejecting at supersonic speeds, and the heart aches that come along with being a military pilot.

F15 Ejection at Supersonic speed - YouTube!
edit: can't embed, please click link!
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #686
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
My ground school instructor told us a story today:

He was doing some flight instructing on the F5, he was in a tandem fighter with two other solo students on either side of him. They were practicing bombing runs where you come in over the ground at 100', pull into a climb up to 15000' then come straight down and bomb the target.

Now, at 5000' you're supposed to release your bomb and begin the climb out (the SOP was: Pickle, pause, pull). Normally you're only supposed to pull about 2-3G when doing the pull out, if you panic and get a little close then 5G wasn't uncommon (our instructor had stories of looking out from the control tower and seeing peoples rooster tails as they got too close to the ground).

Now, the student panicked and didn't pause... The instructor has to look down at the guages during this pause to get a mental picture of where the student was at so they can perfect the next bombing run. Instead he went: pickle, pull. And reefed on the yoke, it was all the instructor could do to keep his face and inch away from the his yoke and mangling his face. He subsequently pulled all the muscles in his neck and down his back and some weeks he still can't move his neck.

The aftermath? The plane pulled 15G's! The plane was only rated for 7G's... The tip tanks on the wings were at different angles, most of the rivets along the wings were gone. That plane never flew again, instead it was placed on a pedestal at Cold Lake AFB for all to see when they come in.

I'm gonna ask him but i'm assuming it's this plane:
Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #687
I Wanna Go Fast!

15G I doubt, the wings would have ripped off the plane. Or it would have stalled in the slide and crashed. The F5 at CFB Cold Lake as pictured is a single seater, there's an F5 on a pedestal in Winnipeg as well.

Paint scheme for the 2012 CF18 demo was released a couple weeks ago:

The '03 paint scheme was my personal favourite:

Anyone go see Act Of Valor? I ended up seeing it twice. The acting wasn't great but they're operators not actors so that was to be expected. Technically it was bang on and I thought quite well done. It's as real you're going to see represented for public viewing. For those of you that have seen it check out below.
Spoiler!

Last edited by JD像; 03-21-2012 at 07:28 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #688
I Wanna Go Fast!

Ever wondered what 60 loaded F16's looks like?

More here: 嶸辨錳曖 捱餌撮啗

Some footage of the final flights of the Tomcat:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #689
My homepage has been set to RS

C-130J Demo 'Paris 2011' *In Cockpit*
http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/cpasley/5495/
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #690
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
that.....is a lot of F16's...

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #691
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
15G I doubt, the wings would have ripped off the plane. Or it would have stalled in the slide and crashed. The F5 at CFB Cold Lake as pictured is a single seater, there's an F5 on a pedestal in Winnipeg as well.
Meh, I'm not fighter pilot so I can't say. I showed him that pic and he said that's where his was but that they must've changed em out. This was a good 20 years ago probably.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #692
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
somethin about that apache crash is really holy fuck. maybe how close the camera is to it. it seems like you're really there
Old 03-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #693
I Wanna Go Fast!

Legends Never Die

Flying Legends 2012 Trailer
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #694

Those crazy video's are crazy! That apache though, he crashed it just so they could do some "show boating" for the boys? That's tax payers money right there. I hope they are okay though, that's a bad accident.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #695
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Ever wondered what 60 loaded F16's looks like?

More here: 嶸辨錳曖 捱餌撮啗
looks like they're readying themselves for a visit from Kim Jong Un.

oh, and i love them Vipers.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #696
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,637 Posts
apache crash was fuckin nuts
Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #697
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
The Canadian F-18 paint scheme looks awful, so mickey-mouse, polar bear and northern lights? Couldn't they make it look cooler?
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #698
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
The Canadian F-18 paint scheme looks awful, so mickey-mouse, polar bear and northern lights? Couldn't they make it look cooler?
You probably missed the paint job two years ago, where the demo bird looked like a Winnipeg Blue Bombers display aircraft.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #699
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
man, i love the look and sound of the ww2 fighters and bombers...

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #700
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
That pic of the F16s looks like its straight out of a video game. So awesome.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote