REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #1151
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
BoostedBB6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,796
Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil View Post
Canada to funnel money into upgrades to keep CF-18 fighter jets flying
Canada to funnel money into upgrades to keep CF-18 fighter jets flying - The Globe and Mail
Not surprised at all with this.
What "upgrades" could they possibly do to these aircraft to give them more life? I thought they just did an update in 2010 to make them more effective?

You cant convert a A/B model to a E/F can you?
Advertisement
__________________
08' G37S 6MT Coupe - For Sale or Trade (Motorcycle)
05' TL A-Spec
00' Celica GTS
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #1152
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
roastpuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pemby
Posts: 3,632
Thanked 1,120 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Not surprised at all with this.
What "upgrades" could they possibly do to these aircraft to give them more life? I thought they just did an update in 2010 to make them more effective?

You cant convert a A/B model to a E/F can you?
No, can't convert them to E/F - but I am not sure if you can update to C/D standard? Maybe some replacement structural members to increase flying lifetime?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
i look so damn white in all the pics! lol
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #1153
RS controls my life!
 
belka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Failberta
Posts: 737
Thanked 626 Times in 180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
No, can't convert them to E/F - but I am not sure if you can update to C/D standard? Maybe some replacement structural members to increase flying lifetime?
They are already a C/D standard and have a lot of similar avionics from the E/F. I don't know what else they could upgrade, probably just another maintenance contract for parts and other supplies. Our current upgrades don't work for shit anyway and the installed JHMCS helmet is a piece of garbage. Integrating 1970s technology with something from the 2000's doesn't work. It's time to start with a new platform.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #1154
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
BoostedBB6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,796
Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Updating airframes with over 7000 hours with "new" tech is a stop gap I'm sure.
Just waiting for the day when the news is covering a story of one of our fighters that had its wing snap off due to being so bloody old and far beyond its service life.
__________________
08' G37S 6MT Coupe - For Sale or Trade (Motorcycle)
05' TL A-Spec
00' Celica GTS
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #1155
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: .
Posts: 1,005
Thanked 1,021 Times in 248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Eater View Post
lol can anyone tell me exactly while people suck the dick of drones so hard? How is it that taking the pilot out of the plane and putting them in control room is going
to make the plane any less expensive? Drones are not cheaper than fighter jets. Cheap drones are cheaper than fighter jets! Imagine that, but cheap drones are
incapable of the same tasks that fighter jets are capable of. Air to air combat, supersonic flight, exceptional maneuverability, low observability, high payload, all these things that make fighter jets actually useful against opposing fighter jets, or for penetrating interdiction. You do not get these with cheap drones. You could definitely build an expensive drone to do those things, but you wouldn't save a fucking dime.

But you're not even talking about using drones to save money in any sensical way. I mean, you're suggesting that these manned fighters Canada is going to purchase will see no use (which makes no sense. Why lock your car if it's not in the process of being stolen hurr durr), but at the same time saying we should replace them with just as capable planes with ADVANCED AI? What? How is this saving money? If these fighters are never going to see use, why develop or buy these expensive drones that are better than them? How is not having an air force for "the next 25 years" (where did you get this number, dude?), and then dropping tons of cash on AI development, and the plane this AI needs to sit in smart at all? What is so special about these next some odd decades between now and when we have advanced AI controlled drones that we should not buy new fighter jets, but then after that period, buy the new drones? Do you think that having the plane controlled by AI makes it cheaper? That AI can take a cheap 50Kn engine and have it outperform a human controlled 100Kn?

Seriously, someone tell me why people keep saying drones drones drones, fighter jets are a waste.

The only thing modern "cheap" drones are good for (MQ-9 for example) is observation/CAS/interdiction in completely undefended airspace. They're great for dropping a couple missiles on some insurgents (as long as it's just a couple, and you don't have to be there quickly), but as soon as the enemy has any air defense, they're inferior to a fighter jet at doing anything. But of course, this IS the solution is it not? The last country we were at war with that had any air defense was North Korea perhaps? Be that as it may, it lacks any foresight to completely de-claw your military from being able to do anything to opposing fighter jets, or if the enemy has air defense. Are all important wars that require expensive planes completely telegraphed to the point where you can purchase a fleet, and train all the pilots in the time before you need them?

No, and that's why Canada should have a half decent fleet of fighter jets.

Also here's something fun for people that think man controlled drones > manned fighters. Did you know that RADAR jamming is pretty damn effective? Did you know that drones are controlled with radio waves? What do you think happens when the enemy has good RADAR jamming in an area you're trying to fly your drone in? lol
Ulic is obviously referring to sometime in the near future. With the exponential advances in technology since the advent of computing coupled with the fact that Moore's law is still accurate as a predictor for technology research his opinion/prediction I would imagine is not only widely believed but should prove to be relatively accurate.

Note that it was less than 50 years ago when we landed on the moon. Look at how far technology has progressed since then.

It's obvious that you've been harbouring this somewhat valid opinion for some time now however in this particular instance your rant is poorly placed.
__________________

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
1978 Kawasaki KZ200
1972 Yamaha GT80
bananana is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #1156
I Wanna Go Fast!
 
JDął's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nomadic
Posts: 5,613
Thanked 1,641 Times in 402 Posts
Fantastic video from our friends down way down south.

JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #1157
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Boostslut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,651
Thanked 838 Times in 295 Posts
And i'm just going to put this here:

__________________
2015 Honda Fit - Mystic Yellow Pearl
Canon 5D MKIII w/ a bunch of L's
Boostslut is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #1158
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Richmond
Posts: 612
Thanked 552 Times in 169 Posts
B1B Lancers are so sexy
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #1159
I keep RS good
 
Ulic Qel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cosmos
Posts: 28,304
Thanked 5,311 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Eater View Post
lol can anyone tell me exactly while people suck the dick of drones so hard? How is it that taking the pilot out of the plane and putting them in control room is going
to make the plane any less expensive? Drones are not cheaper than fighter jets. Cheap drones are cheaper than fighter jets!
I am not just thinking in terms of cost. im thinking long term efficiency, INCLUDING their advancements.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Eater View Post
Imagine that, but cheap drones are
incapable of the same tasks that fighter jets are capable of. Air to air combat, supersonic flight, exceptional maneuverability, low observability, high payload, all these things that make fighter jets actually useful against opposing fighter jets, or for penetrating interdiction. You do not get these with cheap drones. You could definitely build an expensive drone to do those things, but you wouldn't save a fucking dime.
they will be more capable than any human pilot, before then end of current pilot's careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Eater View Post
But you're not even talking about using drones to save money in any sensical way. I mean, you're suggesting that these manned fighters Canada is going to purchase will see no use (which makes no sense. Why lock your car if it's not in the process of being stolen hurr durr), but at the same time saying we should replace them with just as capable planes with ADVANCED AI? What? How is this saving money? If these fighters are never going to see use, why develop or buy these expensive drones that are better than them? How is not having an air force for "the next 25 years" (where did you get this number, dude?), and then dropping tons of cash on AI development, and the plane this AI needs to sit in smart at all? What is so special about these next some odd decades between now and when we have advanced AI controlled drones that we should not buy new fighter jets, but then after that period, buy the new drones? Do you think that having the plane controlled by AI makes it cheaper? That AI can take a cheap 50Kn engine and have it outperform a human controlled 100Kn?

Seriously, someone tell me why people keep saying drones drones drones, fighter jets are a waste.

The only thing modern "cheap" drones are good for (MQ-9 for example) is observation/CAS/interdiction in completely undefended airspace. They're great for dropping a couple missiles on some insurgents (as long as it's just a couple, and you don't have to be there quickly), but as soon as the enemy has any air defense, they're inferior to a fighter jet at doing anything. But of course, this IS the solution is it not? The last country we were at war with that had any air defense was North Korea perhaps? Be that as it may, it lacks any foresight to completely de-claw your military from being able to do anything to opposing fighter jets, or if the enemy has air defense. Are all important wars that require expensive planes completely telegraphed to the point where you can purchase a fleet, and train all the pilots in the time before you need them?

No, and that's why Canada should have a half decent fleet of fighter jets.

Also here's something fun for people that think man controlled drones > manned fighters. Did you know that RADAR jamming is pretty damn effective? Did you know that drones are controlled with radio waves? What do you think happens when the enemy has good RADAR jamming in an area you're trying to fly your drone in? lol
you're too focused on the now.

i'm saying, it doesn't matter what you guys decide or argue about, within 15-25-50 years... they will replace all humans, because they will be cheaper, and more effective in every aspect. (f18 upgrades, f-35's, whatever... it is all to fill the gap between now and the real "upgrade").

i'm not talking about NOW. im talking about the future. 15-50 years isn't that far away.

and yeah like the other said, it was only 50 years ago we put a man on the moon, and it was only 100 years ago we even began to fly.

it's already for sure within 15 years, 1/3 current jobs will be replaced by robots.

i'm all for it. i'm all for robotics and AI replacing every task that can be prone to human error, which is basically every task.

replace all pilots with AI.

replace all workers with AI.

replace everything with AI.

the cost is not that cheap now, but it will only get cheaper and cheaper. and they'll get more and more effective.

both at an exponential rate. i hope you know what exponential means. it means before you blink, they'll be way better than what they are now. in ever single aspect.

think further ahead dude... the future. your car will drive itself. your plane will fly itself. ships will ship themselves. everything will be autonomous.

you're still thinking of putting pilots in control rooms... buddy, archaic. the AI will be fully autonomous. it will carry out the mission itself from step 1 to finish. it will refuel and rearm and repair itself, and fly back out without a human being touching it.

have you ever seen the warehouse of amazon.com? that's only within the past handful of years.

don't hate robotics and AI because they're gonna put you out of work... that's just the way it is. they're better than you are. and they will take over your job.

human management of anything, is becoming overrated. and at an exponential rate.
__________________
nipples neways...wat is with those fuck'n asians! i mean you would think they've never seen a dentist in their life. are dentists really that rare over there in ricey ricey and? looks like they're star trek ferrengi rejects! fuck'n have broken glass for teeth! goddaymn! and the smell....did a rat crawl in there and shit itself then marinate in its own shit as it decayed?ewwwwwwwwww! i swear...if one of those ferrengi asian girls gave head...when u pull the dick out it looks like it went thru a meat grinder! prolly shaved off a few slices of meat! *shudder*
Greebo i t-boned some guy and killed their baby, it was funny
silvia i have a couple asian guy friends that do very well with the ladies. but guess what, they go to the gym, they dont have long hair, they dont wear orange pants, and they dont play counterstrike. its not the ethnicity that the girls dont like, its the style and personality.
450HP Supra I am about to use your eye sockets as a shoe rack for my nuts. ...something about chinks, j-bodys, I can't quite remember as I was drunk and looking for a girl to punch in the clit. Think of it as a digital urinal, and you are the mint, except, instead of actually smelling mint, you smell like mothballs, rotten kimchee and virginity. I'm about to start drinking heavily now and you better be gone before I get back or I swear to god I will break the internet over my knee and use the pieces to beat you in the deformed skull with, cock muffler.
Iceman-19 If your gf cooks and cleans, good, tell the guy to take a fucking hike. If she doesnt, fuck, that joker can have her. Lifes too short to cook your own meals and do your own laundry, thats what women are for!
http://ho316.tumblr.com
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #1160
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,252
Thanked 2,314 Times in 870 Posts
^
The movie "Stealth" comes to mind.
__________________
Do Not Put Aftershave on Your Balls. -604CEFIRO
Looks like I'm gonna have some hot sex again tonight...OOPS i got the 6 pack. that wont last me the night, I better go back and get the 24 pack! -Turbo E
kinda off topic but obama is a dilf - miss_crayon
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #1161
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
BoostedBB6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,796
Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts


MMmMMMMmmMMM B1 love!
__________________
08' G37S 6MT Coupe - For Sale or Trade (Motorcycle)
05' TL A-Spec
00' Celica GTS
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #1162
I Wanna Go Fast!
 
JDął's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nomadic
Posts: 5,613
Thanked 1,641 Times in 402 Posts
Team BOOST - Thanks for the B1 pics. Saw one do a roll at low level in full burner at the Cold Lake Airshow in 2004. Way lower than shown below, blew my mind.


Last edited by JDął; 10-08-2014 at 12:23 AM.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #1163
My homepage has been set to RS
 
tool001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: vancouver
Posts: 2,214
Thanked 810 Times in 274 Posts
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #1164
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Boostslut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,651
Thanked 838 Times in 295 Posts
The drone thing is awesome in that video, that video is hard to watch though, had to fast forward to interesting bits. That's some crazy tech right there..
__________________
2015 Honda Fit - Mystic Yellow Pearl
Canon 5D MKIII w/ a bunch of L's
Boostslut is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #1165
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
kunoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,205
Thanked 943 Times in 252 Posts
Hey I'm meeting with a recruiter tomorrow to discuss options etc, specifically about joining the airforce to become a pilot after graduating from civilian university

Is there anything in particular I should ask/discuss? I already plan on asking about ROTP
__________________
2003 Jetta Wolfie
1963 (T)rusty Stude Lark (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
kunoman is still alive! not raped by oil riggers yet....
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #1166
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 828
Thanked 393 Times in 173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunoman1 View Post
Hey I'm meeting with a recruiter tomorrow to discuss options etc, specifically about joining the airforce to become a pilot after graduating from civilian university

Is there anything in particular I should ask/discuss? I already plan on asking about ROTP
How'd it go?

You've probably figured it out by now but since you'll have a degree you'll probably end up going the DEO route, not ROTP.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #1167
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
m3thods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,059
Thanked 1,022 Times in 574 Posts
Source may not be military, but the pictures and excerpts were new to me:

Rare photos of the SR-71 Blackbird show its amazing history

Quote:

m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #1168
Witness protection
 
thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: GVRD
Posts: 13,981
Thanked 4,810 Times in 2,060 Posts
Fisher: Australian military spending spree puts Canada's defence budget to shame
__________________
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:32 AM   #1169
My homepage has been set to RS
 
tool001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: vancouver
Posts: 2,214
Thanked 810 Times in 274 Posts
buddy refueling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0047.JPG (45.0 KB, 0 views)
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #1170
Witness protection
 
thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: GVRD
Posts: 13,981
Thanked 4,810 Times in 2,060 Posts
__________________
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #1171
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 828
Thanked 393 Times in 173 Posts
I don't know how much longer it will last, but the Smithsonian channel on Telus OPTIK has been on free preview for a few weeks now. I've come across a number of great segments showcasing military aircraft and their uses through the decades. Worth checking out if anyone is interested.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #1172
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: .
Posts: 1,005
Thanked 1,021 Times in 248 Posts
A pilots POV from the Red Bull Air Race

__________________

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
1978 Kawasaki KZ200
1972 Yamaha GT80
bananana is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2015, 10:17 PM   #1173
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
wreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 346
Thanked 214 Times in 56 Posts
I've seen a lot of significant things in my life, but few compare to seeing the F22 fly in person today at the Abby airshow.

What a pure feat in modern engineering.
__________________
real recognize real.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #1174
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
toehook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ricemond
Posts: 628
Thanked 963 Times in 177 Posts
Saw these two guys while at the 86 meet. Zoomed as far as I could.
toehook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #1175
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Boostslut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,651
Thanked 838 Times in 295 Posts
Yes, F22 was amazing!


(taken by me)
__________________
2015 Honda Fit - Mystic Yellow Pearl
Canon 5D MKIII w/ a bunch of L's
Boostslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net