REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #1026
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Canadian air force bending on medical requirements to deal with experienced pilot shortage | National Post
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #1027
Banned By Establishment

Makes sense when you don't have enough experienced instructors. Not like they are taking new people off the street with problems.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #1028
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Yup, it's bad. We currently have an RAF Tornado and RN Harrier pilot at our squadron with another Harrier and an ALA (French Air Force) Mirage pilot on conversion to the F18 at the OTU. Plus some USN exchanges except we couldn't send anyone down so are just borrowing American pilots. With all the budget cuts all the training dets have been canceled so everyone's falling even further behind. The budget has cut our nuts off.

During the ice storm in Ontario the other week so much ice built up on the Hercs sitting on the tarmac in Trenton that....

Last edited by JD¹³; 01-08-2014 at 02:07 PM.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #1029
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
With all the budget cuts all the training dets have been canceled so everyone's falling even further behind. The budget has cut our nuts off.
Ya it's brutal, they cancelled all our dets down south, there were 3-4. Nothing until RIMPAC in June/July. Along with that they cut down the hours substantially. Canadians don't seem to want a fully functional Air Force, it's been a miracle that no one has died yet.

Quote:
During the ice storm in Ontario the other week so much ice built up on the Hercs sitting on the tarmac in Trenton that....
I dono...there are some large Herc pilots, you sure they didn't just walk on the ramp?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #1030
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

3 hours, and 5000L of de-icing fluid to de-ice the airbus. There was probably a good few feet of solid ice along the wing root. Winter ops suck.

We were supposed to go down south to in support of whatever training you guys were doing. I was looking forward to a few weeks of sun. Last year, San Diego was great. It was warm and sunny, it couldn't have been any better.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #1031
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Ya there's a lot of exchange instructors in Moose Jaw here as well. I would say that approx 1/3 of the instructors are foreign.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #1032
I Wanna Go Fast!

I was looking forward to 4-5 weeks in San Diego where it's 18C right now, but staying in Cold Lake at 20 to 30 below is cool too
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #1033
Banned By Establishment

Somebody gonna get hurt real bad....

Rising housing costs at CFB Cold Lake prompt one soldier to busk | Alberta | News | Edmonton Sun
Old 01-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #1034
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,273 Times in 275 Posts
Came across this on another forum, f18 firing its ordnance.

2004 E46 M3
2001 WRX STi (sold)
2003 Supercharged 350z (sold)
1991 R32 GTR (sold)
2000 Civic SiR (sold)
1990 Civic Si-T (sold)
1986 MK1 Mr2 (sold)
2005 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2003 CBR 600RR (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098 track (sold)
2009 Kawasaki ZX6R (track build)

Last edited by fT-z33wor; 01-12-2014 at 10:45 PM.
fT-z33wor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
Ya saw that the other day on my Facebook feed. Pretty ridiculous. What's the price of PMQ's out there anyways?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #1036
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Ya saw that the other day on my Facebook feed. Pretty ridiculous. What's the price of PMQ's out there anyways?
Information about the homes in Cold Lake | Locations & Styles | Housing | National Defence | Canadian Armed Forces

Exactly the same Q's in another fighter base in Bagotville are less then half that.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #1037

Jesus no wonder everyone is releasing up there... Q's in Moose Jaw here between $550 for a row house and $650 for a 4 bedroom with a garage.

I love the military and all and I wish I could have stayed in but at the same time I see bullshit like this and i'm not dissapointed with my decision.

Worst part is that those prices are cheaper than comparable ones in town so members are "forced" to pay that, or live in shacks.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #1038
I Wanna Go Fast!

This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #1039
I Wanna Go Fast!

The new Advanced Super Hornet took to the skies for the first time last summer and development continues. We'll take 80+ please.

This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #1040
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^ this should've been the government's choice of replacement for our aging fleet in the first place. I ain't no expert on combat operations or combat logistics, however, from a purely monetary standpoint it makes sense considering the typical size of Canada's fleet and our everyday uses.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #1041
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
^ this should've been the government's choice of replacement for our aging fleet in the first place. I ain't no expert on combat operations or combat logistics, however, from a purely monetary standpoint it makes sense considering the typical size of Canada's fleet and our everyday uses.
So we should be replacing our current fleet of hornets with this new abortion because they look similar?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #1042
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Flying the world's fastest plane: Behind the stick of the SR-71 - SBNation.com

PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #1043
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
I'm thinking I might try to plan a trip soon to England around an air show in the hope that I can see XH558 fly before it is finally grounded forever. I was born just after a Vulcan's last visit to Abbotsford and even though I've never seen one in person it's always gripped my imagination just as much as the SR71, F117, A-10 or B2. There are very few sounds that excite me as much as the scream of those 4 big Rolls...

Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #1044
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
when you mentioned the vulcan i remembered this:

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #1045
My homepage has been set to RS

aircraft thread but,, nevertheless

tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:06 AM   #1046
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Canada to send 6 CF-18s for NATO operation in Eastern Europe - Politics - CBC News
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #1047
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
So we should be replacing our current fleet of hornets with this new abortion because they look similar?
From purely a technician's standpoint, less training required as the systems are (probably) very similar and a lot of our AMSE will (probably) still work on the new version (i.e. Hydraulic Test Stands, Power Units and such.)

32,000 Lbs of thrust, max speed of Mach 1.8, M61A1 Vulcan cannon, missile and bombs galore. Rival? The Genus Larus "seagull"
AVNGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #1048
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Russian Su -24 scores off against the American “USS Donald Cook”
Posted by: admin April 23, 2014 EuropeLeave a comment 4 views
Russian Sukhoi Su -24 with the newest jamming complex paralyzed in the Black Sea the most modern American combat management system “Aegis” installed on the destroyer “USS Donald Cook”. Pavel Zolotarev, Deputy Director, Institute of USA and Canada, shares details about this version which is being actively discussed in the Russian media and by bloggers.
US destroyer “Donald Cook” with cruise missiles “Tomahawk” entered the neutral waters of the Black Sea on April 10. The purpose was a demonstration of force and intimidation in connection with the position of Russia in Ukraine and Crimea. The appearance of American warships in these waters is in contradiction of the Montreux Convention about the nature and duration of stay in the Black Sea by the military ships of countries not washed by this sea.
In response, Russia sent an unarmed bomber Su- 24 to fly around the U.S. destroyer. However, experts say that this plane was equipped with the latest Russian electronic warfare complex. According to this version, “Aegis” spotted from afar the approaching aircraft, and sounded alarm. Everything went normally, American radars calculated the speed of the approaching target. And suddenly all the screens went blank. “Aegis” was not working any more, and the rockets could not get target information. Meanwhile, Su-24 flew over the deck of the destroyer, did battle turn and simulated missile attack on the target. Then it turned and repeated the maneuver. And did so 12 times.
Apparently, all efforts to revive the “Aegis” and provide target information for the defence failed. Russia’s reaction to military pressure from the United States was profoundly calm, feels the Russian political scientist Pavel Zolotarev:
The demonstration was original enough. A bomber without any weapons, but having onboard equipment for jamming enemy radar, worked against a destroyer equipped with “Aegis”, the most modern system of air and missile defence. But this system of mobile location, in this case the ship, has a significant drawback. That is, the target tracking capabilities. They work well when there is a number of these ships which can coordinate with each other somehow. In this case there was just one destroyer. And, apparently, the algorithm of the radar in the “Aegis” system on the destroyer did not load under the influence of jamming by the Su-24. It was therefore not only a nervous reaction to the fact of flying around by the Russin bomber which was common practice during the Cold War. The reaction of the Americans was due to the fact that most modern system, especially its informative or radar part, did not work adequately. Therefore, there was such a nervous reaction to the whole episode.
After the incident, the foreign media reported that “Donald Cook” was rushed into a port in Romania. There all the 27 members of the crew filed a letter of resignation. It seems that all 27 people have written that they are not going to risk their lives. This is indirectly confirmed by the Pentagon statement according to which the action demoralized the crew of the American ship.
What are the possible consequences of the incident provoked by the U.S. in the Black Sea? Pavel Zolotarev forecasts:
I think that Americans are somehow going to reflect on improving the system “Aegis”. This is a purely military aspect. In political terms, there is hardly any likelihood of demonstrative steps by either side. That is enough. Meanwhile, for Americans it is a very unpleasant moment. In general, the missile defence system which they deploy involves huge expenditures. They have to prove each time that it is necessary to allocate funds from the budget. At the same time, the ground component of the ABM was tested in ideal conditions and showed a low efficiency. This fact is concealed by the Pentagon. The most modern component, the sea-based system “Aegis” also showed its shortcomings in the present case.
The system with which the Russian Su-24 shocked the American destroyer “Donald Cook” has the code name “Khibiny”. This is the name of the mountain range on the Kola Peninsula in the Arctic Circle. “Khibiny” is the newest complex for radioelectronic jamming of the enemy. They will be installed on all the advanced Russian planes .
Recently the complex has undergone regular testing exercises on the ground in Buryatia. Apparently, the tests which were conducted under conditions as close to real as possible, were successful.

Russian Su -24 scores off against the American "USS Donald Cook"
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #1049
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
^a lot of military technology was created, marketed, and sold, only to fuel the military complex system.

most equipment doesn't work as well as people have been lead to believe.

in a real all out war, where both sides have roughly equal technology, most ships and planes will be sunk/shot down with ease with very little chance of defense.

prime example of something just for show/morale booster is the Phalanx CIWS (and variants). That thing won't stop any incoming missiles, if it does, it's just pure luck.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #1050
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
I rememember reading somewhere there was some sort of buddy program for those who enlist together for officer training, is that still a thing thats done?
1989 Yamaha Virago XV535 (sold)
1994 Ford Ranger (sold)
1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon (sold)
2014 Toyota Corolla (loaner)
1996 Isuzu Trooper (RIP🔥)
2003 Jetta Wolfie (sold)
1963 (T)rusty Stude Lark (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
kunoman is still alive! not raped by oil riggers yet....
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote