REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 01-08-2023, 06:34 PM   #1801
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
I liked 1899 it got good reviews and viewership too, but Netflix cancelled it

But yeah I wasn't sure if it was just me but most movies/series have been trash
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:22 PM   #1802
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Wednesday was "good", but you have to be able to tolerate CW style TV lol

Most of the Disney+ series are at least quite watchable.. Some good like Andor, a few bad like She-Hulk (and even though it's bad, the episodes were short). The rest like Obi Wan, Boba Fett, Loki etc have been fine.

We're actually enjoying Willow, even though it's technically pretty bad. It's like awful C tier TV but quite enjoyable. I much prefer it over the LOTR and Wheel of Time series that take themselves way too seriously.

The Amazon DND cartoon was pretty good too.

And then you have all the network schlock that can be watchable or not watchable depending on your taste rather than quality of the show. Quantum Leap is awful but totally watchable. East NY was crap. We still all enjoy Kung Fu even though it's tacky af. Some shows are just charming and entertaining and that's all you need for a time killer or way to wind down.

There's plenty of watchable stuff out there. There's just so much content you have to bail on something if it's bad.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:08 PM   #1803
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
We're actually enjoying Willow, even though it's technically pretty bad. It's like awful C tier TV but quite enjoyable. I much prefer it over the LOTR and Wheel of Time series that take themselves way too seriously.
I'm watching Willow too -- kind of just for the heck of it. For me, some of it is really bad; some of it is tolerable, and occasionally there are some good bits. So I agree that it is solidly in the awful C tier TV category.

Most of the characters are annoying, including Willow. The only character I like is Boorman since he is hilarious -- it doesn't hurt that he is the only one that can fight too LOL~
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2023, 09:52 PM   #1804
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,327 Times in 5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
I liked 1899 it got good reviews and viewership too, but Netflix cancelled it

But yeah I wasn't sure if it was just me but most movies/series have been trash
1899 was OK but we were on episode 3 and realized there were 8 left

Episode 3 felt like it introduced 4 different story lines while almost all the previous ones hadn’t been resolved so we just decided to give up on it lol
Old 01-09-2023, 08:41 AM   #1805
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,915 Times in 3,875 Posts
If I didn't like Boba Fett do you guys think I'll like Andor or Obi-Wan?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:00 AM   #1806
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I just finished Tulsa King through my 7 day trial. It was really good.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:02 AM   #1807

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Andor is really, *really* good once you get past the first 4 episodes. As long as you have a basic understanding of the Star Wars universe, I think you will like Andor.

FWIW, I'd give episodes 1 & 2 in Andor a 4/10 due to an exceedingly slow pace, and a plot that jumps around all over the place too much. Episodes 3 & 4 get a 5/10 since the pace is still slow, but then you'd start seeing things come together. Episode 5 has a slow (but faster than before) pace, but the intensity build up more than makes up for it. From that point onwards, you are hooked and you just never look back.

The bigger villains (but not Darth Vader) in Obiwan are kind of annoying and not at all likeable. But Darth Vader is pretty bada$$, and Leia is really endearing in the show, even when some stuff doesn't really make sense. So I'd say some of the same flaws that are present in Boba Fett are also there in Obiwan, but the plot and episode progression are far more coherent than Boba Fett. I personally enjoyed Obiwan a lot more than Boba Fett, and I think most people will too.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2023, 11:46 AM   #1808
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I swear the garbage I’ve watched in the last 2 weeks makes me want to just shut off the TV permanently lol

Watched that glass onion, that new movie with Adam driver, that German series on the boat 1899 or whatever and like 3-4 more movies I can’t even remember. Jesus Christ they were all ducking garbage lol
It's a real problem nowadays man. These new movies and shows are just awful woke crap, I'm mystified how badly so many of these new shows and movies coming out are.

Perhaps this is simply the result of the older writers aging out and retiring, and we're getting a taste of the newest generation of cultural writing? I'm sure ESG factors play a major part in this transition as well, it's very jarring though.

Perhaps the golden age of film is long behind us now.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:43 PM   #1809
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,327 Times in 5,643 Posts
Being 100% serious, I enjoyed the hallmark Christmas movies re-hashing the same story they’ve already done 1000000 times than most of these “blockbuster” Netflix releases. At least with those I don’t have to pretend to he interested lol
Old 01-09-2023, 02:00 PM   #1810

If the first 4 episodes are dull I'll probably hold off on Andor until the series ends to see if it's worth it. Obi-Wan sounds like a 6 parter single season so I'll probably give that a shot. I only watched the first episode of Boba Fett but the premise was so far off from what I wanted it to be I didn't go any further.

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
It's a real problem nowadays man. These new movies and shows are just awful woke crap, I'm mystified how badly so many of these new shows and movies coming out are.

Perhaps this is simply the result of the older writers aging out and retiring, and we're getting a taste of the newest generation of cultural writing? I'm sure ESG factors play a major part in this transition as well, it's very jarring though.

Perhaps the golden age of film is long behind us now.
More likely it's the same as music. The new stuff you hear about everything, good and bad, but when you look back there's such a huge library you only look at the good stuff. The junk has been forgotten. Go grab an old VHS or DVD and see how many of the movies advertised in the previews you even heard of.

Not to mention a lot of it is the nostalgia factor. Lately I've been watching a lot of older films that were highly praised to me and most of them are absolute garbage. Same with music, there's lots of good older music but a lot of what they play on the oldies station is crap.

I do believe that writing is the weakest field in TV/movies now. Acting and effects have improved over the years so it seems rare that I see something where either of them are noticeably bad. But writing has never improved and most of it sucks. They're good at coming up with a concept and a hook at the beginning but nobody seems to know how to come up with a decent conclusion. It's always some half-assed bit they slapped together that isn't very satisfying. At least to me anyways.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 01-09-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:51 PM   #1811

Andor Season 1 is completely finished, and it has a very satisfying season finale episode. Of course, Cassian's story doesn't end there, but there is no need to wait for Season 2 because Season 1 is a full and complete story on its own.

Don't wait and just enjoy the show. It is very good.
Quote:
If the first 4 episodes are dull I'll probably hold off on Andor until the series ends to see if it's worth it. Obi-Wan sounds like a 6 parter single season so I'll probably give that a shot. I only watched the first episode of Boba Fett but the premise was so far off from what I wanted it to be I didn't go any further.

Spoiler!
Assuming that you like Mandalorian (the D+ series), but is skeptical of "the Book of Boba Fett", you should just skip right to Episodes 5 - 7 of the Book of Boba Fett and only watch those 3 episodes. You can pretty much consider them as Mandalorian Season 2.5, and if you were gonna watch Mando Season 3 later this year, you'd need/want to watch this Mando S2.5 anyway. I don't know why these 3 episodes are just so different and so much better than the other Boba Fett episodes, but they are 100% a fun watch.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2023, 03:53 PM   #1812

Andor starts slow but that doesn't mean it's bad. If you're an old school SW fan you'll love just looking at it and soaking in all the "StarWarsiness' of it. It looks and sounds amazing if you grew up in the 80's
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2023, 04:09 PM   #1813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I'm watching Willow too -- kind of just for the heck of it. For me, some of it is really bad; some of it is tolerable, and occasionally there are some good bits. So I agree that it is solidly in the awful C tier TV category.

Most of the characters are annoying, including Willow. The only character I like is Boorman since he is hilarious -- it doesn't hurt that he is the only one that can fight too LOL~
Yup that guy is great lol

Also the muffin girl's muffins

We are actually pretty amused by Warwick Davis' acting. He is SO SO SOOOOO BAD. Every line he has sounds like he's reading lines from the phone book. Just hilariously awful, and tremendously entertaining.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:23 PM   #1814
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
The Amazon DND cartoon was pretty good too.
Hated the cartoon. But the podcast was top notch though.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 04:25 PM   #1815

Andor is slow to start, but that's 2 episodes tops. You can't just have full action right from the get go, at least some exposition must be made

I didn't get bored of the show at all, and it's certainly not a short series at 12 episodes.

Even if you're not into Star Wars (which I'm not) it's definitely worth the watch.

To add to this one - Welcome to Chippendales - A solid 8/10. Great short series about the history of Chippendales. From what I've read they got a little loose with the factual story, but definitely worth the watch.

Fun series to catch with the GF/wife.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2023, 04:41 PM   #1816

Quote:
Andor is slow to start, but that's 2 episodes tops. You can't just have full action right from the get go, at least some exposition must be made

I didn't get bored of the show at all, and it's certainly not a short series at 12 episodes.

Even if you're not into Star Wars (which I'm not) it's definitely worth the watch.

To add to this one - Welcome to Chippendales - A solid 8/10. Great short series about the history of Chippendales. From what I've read they got a little loose with the factual story, but definitely worth the watch.

Fun series to catch with the GF/wife.
Are there a lot of prosthetic hawgs? One thing I've noticed is that these uncensored shows like to show a lot of dicks, but it's always a giant prosthetic lol

And if it's a show like Euphoria, they will come up with any reason imaginable to show a guy's giant prosthetic dick. Like a scene where a dude is on the toilet taking a shit, and for some reason has his legs wide open and his 9 inch flaccid dick just hanging out lol

I hope E-SPEC didn't catch that, or we'd get another outrage thread! There's too many dicks on TV trying to turn me on.. I mean groom children!
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2023, 11:59 PM   #1817
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,434 Times in 5,108 Posts
Quote:
I hated Boba Fett, it was trash.... but I am loving Andor
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2023, 05:28 AM   #1818
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
Quote:
I hope E-SPEC didn't catch that, or we'd get another outrage thread! There's too many dicks on TV trying to turn me on.. I mean groom children!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:34 AM   #1819

Quote:
Are there a lot of prosthetic hawgs? One thing I've noticed is that these uncensored shows like to show a lot of dicks, but it's always a giant prosthetic lol

And if it's a show like Euphoria, they will come up with any reason imaginable to show a guy's giant prosthetic dick. Like a scene where a dude is on the toilet taking a shit, and for some reason has his legs wide open and his 9 inch flaccid dick just hanging out lol

The show is actually pretty tame, no tits, no dicks, nothing.

At the end of the day it's still a Disney show, so they didn't go full-on HBO with it.

So no worries, you won't be seeing any flaccid rubber cocks
Old 01-10-2023, 10:42 AM   #1820

Quote:
More likely it's the same as music. The new stuff you hear about everything, good and bad, but when you look back there's such a huge library you only look at the good stuff. The junk has been forgotten. Go grab an old VHS or DVD and see how many of the movies advertised in the previews you even heard of.

Not to mention a lot of it is the nostalgia factor. Lately I've been watching a lot of older films that were highly praised to me and most of them are absolute garbage. Same with music, there's lots of good older music but a lot of what they play on the oldies station is crap.

I do believe that writing is the weakest field in TV/movies now. Acting and effects have improved over the years so it seems rare that I see something where either of them are noticeably bad. But writing has never improved and most of it sucks. They're good at coming up with a concept and a hook at the beginning but nobody seems to know how to come up with a decent conclusion. It's always some half-assed bit they slapped together that isn't very satisfying. At least to me anyways.
I'm sure some of my issue is recency bias, but not entirely.

I'm not one of those people who proclaims "music was better back in the day!", I enjoy new music immensely, I understand that sounds and tastes change, and that you have to move with the times. I can't stand people who only want to listen to old music, while writing off the new stuff, that's just ignorant.

What is most definitely new in movies/television is attempting to fit in the cultural woke-ish grandstanding crap. That is fundamentally a new thing that is really starting to grind my gears in film.

No, I don't need to see a 100lbs girl beat the shit out of 5 200+lbs guys in easy succession, just because "she can".

No I don't need to see some random gay black man, and a lesbian Mexican chick in some random Caucasian filled village in medieval Europe in a fantasy show (without any real explanation as how such races and backgrounds even got there in the first place). It kills immersion.

No, I don't need to see Batman now become a girl, and be stronger and more badass then Bruce Wayne.

It's all that crap that is new, we didn't find that in film or TV even 10 years ago.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2023, 11:15 AM   #1821
Performance Moderator

It will be that way for awhile, when they try to correct things they have a tendency to overcorrect them.

That said I tried to bring up this exact topic at a dinner party the other night and boy did I take a beating from the younger people there lol
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2023, 11:23 AM   #1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I hated Boba Fett, it was trash.... but I am loving Andor
But but but... those Mandalorian Season 2.5 episodes were so awesome though~
Old 01-10-2023, 01:01 PM   #1823

Quote:
No I don't need to see some random gay black man, and a lesbian Mexican chick in some random Caucasian filled village in medieval Europe in a fantasy show (without any real explanation as how such races and backgrounds even got there in the first place). It kills immersion.

It's all that crap that is new, we didn't find that in film or TV even 10 years ago.
Is that really any different than everyone speaking English regardless of who or where they are? Sean Connery being a Russian in The Hunt for Red October springs to mind. I think 68style is correct in that things tend to get overcorrected but eventually it should hopefully end up better than before.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-10-2023, 02:46 PM   #1824

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
It will be that way for awhile, when they try to correct things they have a tendency to overcorrect them.

That said I tried to bring up this exact topic at a dinner party the other night and boy did I take a beating from the younger people there lol
What did they say?
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2023, 02:54 PM   #1825
Performance Moderator

YUE JUS WANNA KEEP ERRYTHING THE WAY IT WAS OLD MAN

Variations on that lol

Also being white didn't help me out much