REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 03-04-2024, 07:19 PM   #1976
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts

*ON Netflix

THIS is what a GOOD movie is like. Movie title in Taiwanese has it's meaning / parable.
Thriller, action, violence intertwined by a story of redemption and circle of life.

Freaking love Taiwanese movie; decent pacing, good action sequence even if it was just 15 mins in the movie. No forced love story... and everything wraps up well. There is some wtf moments that you can't close ur eyes...
The cantonese actor is 60 year old playing a dead beat triad whom only had 20% screen time of acting did a solid job in acting fierce and evil.

Great script, when you get to the middle last 1/3, you're being led to another tunnel which my wife called out what was going on(definitely a WTF moment). Truly a mystery drama action thriller.

The pig, snake and pigeon are meant to represent ignorance, aversion and attachment, sometimes also referred to as the "three poisons".

Chinese parable - A bully used to live in a village, he asked why the villagers are so sad, they said there are 3 evils - 1) dragon 2) shark and 3) the bully itself. So he decided to take care of the 2 evils and then he turned into a good person & became a general. Many alternation of story, from general, to killing himself, aka redemption etc.

I rather watch this movie than any of the stupid cantonese movies anyday. Awesome watch.
Advertisement

Last edited by 6793026; 03-05-2024 at 08:55 AM.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:43 AM   #1977
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,045 Times in 2,078 Posts
Christian AND Slater!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:54 AM   #1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Christian AND Slater!?
JUST reazlized that LOL....
Old 03-06-2024, 12:26 PM   #1979

Didn't know this was written and directed by the same person, which is meh. What was hilarious is the actors in the movies are actual brothers. Never really watch the Code 8 part I or at least i dont' remember any of it. (Turns out it was probably filmed back to back, no wonder it looked like they never aged.

Filming was done in Toronto... back in 2021.. took so long to come online. Don't expect to much action, it's just a typical tier 2/3 actors with a mediocre story line.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:51 AM   #1980

Cantonese movie released during chinese New Year as a action / thriller. "Rob and Roll"

50 yr old thief doing a heist, taxi driver and a old age home owner all at the wrong place at the wrong time with nothing going right.
The script was extremely intricate woven together, at time I was lost and this was during first 1/2. Once it works itself out, then Aaron Kwok's acting was just really really superb during last 1/2 of the scenes. *just have to get over his protruding teeth.

You can see he really shredded and got buff to play the role. His interpretation at the last 1/2 of the movie "pushing of the taxi" scene re-living his past was what got me. Dimensional character expressing his remorse, pain, suffering, guilt acted out within a few seconds.

I can truly say Andy Lau will and can never do that. Tony Lau has amazing eye yet Aaron has now surpassed in my books as an actor playing different roles and pulling it off.

Movie script, solid. Decent paced. Action focused without CGI (that i can tell); taxi driver (also well known) had great acting playing the role but all in all Aaron stole the show.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:15 PM   #1981
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Jesus christ there's a lot of bad movies out there, and this guy watches every one of them somehow

(I appreciate the reviews though! Keep them coming)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2024, 03:19 PM   #1982
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
https://www.ctv.ca/movies/dune

Ctv streaming Dune 1 free until March 11th. Tie in with he Dune 2 release.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2024, 10:56 AM   #1983
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
Man, Netflix cancelled Brothers Sun, no Season 2… this streaming stuff is garbage it’s not worth investing into a series anymore they just cancel them all after 1 or 2 seasons and that’s it, leave everybody without any sort of conclusion or wrap up.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2024, 01:13 PM   #1984
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Man, Netflix cancelled Brothers Sun, no Season 2… this streaming stuff is garbage it’s not worth investing into a series anymore they just cancel them all after 1 or 2 seasons and that’s it, leave everybody without any sort of conclusion or wrap up.
I think that is their MO/business model if I remember correctly

It takes exceptional circumstances to get to a third season
Old 03-10-2024, 03:41 PM   #1985

Quote:
Just like FOX in the 00's and 10's

So many cool shows, then they get canned after a season or two
Old 03-12-2024, 12:52 PM   #1986

Gosh.. what a waste of a cast on a sub par script. It did have a few action sequence with good potential for a mystery script but no....it kept on dragging on.

Bryce Dallas Howard - i really liked her character as a write, but then the end of the movie; after the huge make over... I can't take her serious. You can't be a plum and introvert author and then transform into catwomen / bond girl etc.

Sam Rockwell - where has this guy been all these year. iron man 2 but best known for yr 2003's Matchstick Men. He was like the lead in this movie but zero chemistry.

Bryan Cranston + Catherine O'Hara meh
Henry Cavill Dua Lipa John Cena & Samuel L. Jackson all totally wasted. (sam L jackson always bring no value as he's always a boss / HQ major with min. lines).
john cena didn't even have any action scenes and I think all his scenes were behind a blue screen..
Dua Lipa... with a Resting B Face... did not do anything to the movie.
The cat was .. also totally no needed.

Thriller, action, mystery, totally not needed to be a 2h 19 min movie. No wonder a 200 M budget tanked at 95 M in box office - and you put in Easter egg for a sequel at post credits.. good luck buddy.

Can't blame Matthew Vaughn as the director to Kingsman for last 10 years. Epic fail.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2024, 02:01 PM   #1987
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post

Bryce Dallas Howard - i really liked her character as a write, but then the end of the movie; after the huge make over... I can't take her serious. You can't be a plum and introvert author and then transform into catwomen / bond girl etc.
Dude... did you miss the part where they explained she had been programmed through hypnotics to forget who she was and act introverted and get fat/out of shape and lack confidence? Her character didn't just decide to start acting like catwoman... she was just brought back to remember.

I thought it was pretty entertaining and funny, the fighting/dance sequence with all the coloured smoke was amazing looking.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:52 PM   #1988

Started watching The Bear on Disney+

It’s not what I had expected going into it but it’s quite good. Although every episode is quite chaotic with a lot of arguing etc. so it isn’t exactly a relaxing show to lay back and enjoy per se lol. Just got to season 2
Old 03-12-2024, 04:57 PM   #1989

I finished Mr and Mrs Smith on Amazon and it ranged from fantastic to annoying. Overall good though, the acting was excellent. Some cool heists (but not enough) and a solid relationship story in a mysterious world.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:13 PM   #1990
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Started watching The Bear on Disney+

It’s not what I had expected going into it but it’s quite good. Although every episode is quite chaotic with a lot of arguing etc. so it isn’t exactly a relaxing show to lay back and enjoy per se lol. Just got to season 2
Good luck with season 2. There is zero chill.
Forks is probably one of my favourite episodes of any show of all time.
Teriyaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:24 PM   #1991
Performance Moderator

That is NOT a flattering poster for Maya Erskine, makes her look flatter than flat
Old 03-13-2024, 04:33 AM   #1992

Quote:
I thought it was pretty entertaining and funny, the fighting/dance sequence with all the coloured smoke was amazing looking.
The colour smoke part was cinematographed nicely which reminded me of Mr. & Mrs. Smith (of brad pitt / Jolie). Then the movie took a turn with the the oil ice skating bit. LOL.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:25 PM   #1993

This is NOT a movie with your family and / friend/ gf.
Based on a book which won a lot of award.. (gosh.. how??), so it's an interpretation.
It's 2+ hours long, I think it's totally not needed, yet it progressed well on what it's trying to acheieve.

I went in the movie with zero expectations so please do read up on it.

As a synopsis, I'll use this as example, man creates Frankenstein, it goes and explores the world trying to figure out the world. Curiosity kills the cat, robots gets confused and rebells etc.

Instead of a robot, substitute robot with woman - Emma Stone goes thru walks of life as a child, human, adult. Seems legit. Not until it takes a sudden turn 1/4 way in as Emma discovers sexuality. Then the entire story lines revolves around being a prostitute until the very end of the movie. Creation goes back to meet the maker.

I can say the filming being done in Hungary was pretty legit. CGI of being on a cruise and various places, but many of the location / house / cruise ship / hospital theatre were great eye candy.

Emma did a decent job acting as a outliers / stitched woman. Wish the script was a bit better; then again, they have to stay true to the book. She did strip nude, bare her body to a lot of sex scenes which I thought was not needed.

The trailer was weird as is so do your research if this is your genre.

After seeing all oscars, in summary

Emma Stone -Poor Things. A lot of opportunities to shine from the dynamic/weird/ character she had to portray, she deserved it.
Lily Gladstone -Killers of the Flower Moon - didn't think she was worthy.
Annette Bening - Nyad - Good movie, but was too much of a B class movie to make her worthy.
Carey Mulligan - Maestro - I actually liked her in the movie, a more 1 dimensional film so it limited what she could do as an actress.
Sandra Hüller - Anatomy of a Fall - the lawyer scenes and tension was there; being a defendant, there wasn't much to act out.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:23 PM   #1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Good luck with season 2. There is zero chill.
Forks is probably one of my favourite episodes of any show of all time.
Yea, that was quite the episode lol
Old 03-19-2024, 05:48 AM   #1995

Madame Web - i was never a fan of Dakota Johnson and still don't like her.
She has a RBF and just doesn't have the charisma. Aside from getting her fame from 50 shades, she was decent in Peanut Butter Falcon (awesome happy go lucky film).

Thankful Sony killed any future movies with Madame Web. It was director's first run at directing, writing and being exec producer.

Please please never let her direct again. Writing was semi decent. It progressed at a good pace which my wife and I found less annoying. We just didn't like how the jokes were bad, Dakota was such a bitch etc.
I did enjoy the fact it's not the OH the spider bit someone and oh they are not spiderwoman so that's refreshing. They tried to set the stage for movie #2, which thankfully will never ever happen.

Thank goodness it was only a 80 M budget (cheap cast + director) and it actually made money LOL
Old 03-19-2024, 08:46 AM   #1996
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,722 Posts
6793026, with the movies you subject yourself through, I'm starting to wonder if you're a masochist..
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2024, 01:20 PM   #1997

^ I just watch whatever is out there. Wifey is not a fan of horror or scary movies...If there are any movies you recommend, do let me know.
Next up is American Fiction to mix it up.

The Taste of Things. Such a beautiful movie.
Director is from Vietnam and had my head scratching then realize... it was once colonized by France etc.
Amazing french movie, from the set, the copper cookware, the cooking methods, the filming style... I can't take my eye on how well the movie glides thru the entire prep of a 6 course meal.

If you're not a cook, don't appreciate cooking only eats out, only orders Uber, only watch Rachel Ray, 20 min meals... you will not appreciate the art of cooking / or this movie. It's 30 min cooking meal with minimal dialogue but stretched out to 60 mins.

Just opening scene of cooking was a solid 40 minutes so you're not seeing love between two people and their story of cooking but the art of cooking infused with love.

This is truly what french food, french movie shoudl be like. Felt 100% in France going thru the journey.

Not too much dialogue needed, not too much of a script just the art of filming food is purely amazing.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:32 PM   #1998

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,722 Posts
Watched some films over the week.

American Fiction - 8.5/10 really good film, enjoyed it a lot.
Zone of Interest - 8/10 A24? Right up my alley. Wasn't a fan of the ending, otherwise I would've rated higher.
Poor Things - 9/10 - Great film, kept us captivated from start to finish. Emma Stone deserved that Oscar for sure.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 10:08 AM   #1999

Thanked 6,553 Times in 1,155 Posts

Started watching this, been pretty good so far
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 10:17 AM   #2000
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts

X-Men '97 got release a short while ago. It's an enhanced nostalgia bomb where it continues from where the series ended. Only saw the first episode, but the action is awesome. That Gambit/Wolverine/Morph combo attack was fantastic. The new old intro gives me the chills: