REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 03-21-2024, 01:01 PM   #2001
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,306 Times in 2,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuda View Post
Started watching this, been pretty good so far
Shogun is waaaay awesome. From the actors to the set, there is a very strong sense of authenticity to almost everything about the episodes.

Except for the way language is handled in the series. The Japanese actors are obviously speaking Japanese throughout, and I have no problem with that. (In fact, that only adds to the feeling of authenticity.) But the problem comes with the Pilot dude. He is supposed to be an English-speaking Englishman who is also fluent in Portuguese. The foreign traders and missionaries in Japan were also supposed to be Portuguese, with the occasional Español here and there, who should also be speaking Portuguese. But then all the foreigners are speaking English! And not only do they speak English, there are recurring lines where the foreigners would be saying (in English) that they know how to speak Portuguese, and they are obviously speaking to Portuguese people / translators, but they are saying all that in English!

I thought that part was really poorly handled because my mind would keep second guessing what language the person should actually be speaking -- should it be English? Portuguese? or maybe Spanish?

I would rather have seen whatever language being spoken in the proper language, and just get the understanding from reading the caption.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 02:52 PM   #2002
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Maybe it was just my mood, but when I tried watching Shogun, I couldn't get into it at all. The show started right off the bat with such heavy shit, it was hard to get into
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 05:43 AM   #2003
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts

It was a good watch, i am kicking myself for watching the trailer cause it gave it all away.. FML. That killed it for me.
I wouldn't say it was Best Picture nomination worthy, cause I enjoyed The Holdovers 10X more (from the story & the acting)

Acting was decent by Jeffrey Wright but Sterling K. Brown had a few very strong scene that stole the show at times.

The score was decent at the end. Cheeky ending which was not unexpected.
I did really enjoy the Johnny Walker scene even if it was a 2 minute scene.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2024, 04:28 PM   #2004
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Shogun is waaaay awesome. From the actors to the set, there is a very strong sense of authenticity to almost everything about the episodes.

Except for the way language is handled in the series. The Japanese actors are obviously speaking Japanese throughout, and I have no problem with that. (In fact, that only adds to the feeling of authenticity.) But the problem comes with the Pilot dude. He is supposed to be an English-speaking Englishman who is also fluent in Portuguese. The foreign traders and missionaries in Japan were also supposed to be Portuguese, with the occasional Español here and there, who should also be speaking Portuguese. But then all the foreigners are speaking English! And not only do they speak English, there are recurring lines where the foreigners would be saying (in English) that they know how to speak Portuguese, and they are obviously speaking to Portuguese people / translators, but they are saying all that in English!

I thought that part was really poorly handled because my mind would keep second guessing what language the person should actually be speaking -- should it be English? Portuguese? or maybe Spanish?

I would rather have seen whatever language being spoken in the proper language, and just get the understanding from reading the caption.
I think having multiple languages other than Japanese subtitles would have been too much. It took a little getting used to but I think they way they did it was probably the best for the viewer
Old 03-25-2024, 12:09 PM   #2005

typical movie. UF fighter becomes a bouncer and fights and fights.
Not going to comment but man the training Jake Gyllenhaal had to go thru must be crazy to streaded like that.
I thought Conor McGregor did a decent job acting a crazy dude. The only issue I had with Conor is that I couldn't understand 90% of what he was saying...
Old 03-25-2024, 04:13 PM   #2006
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,722 Posts
^Subtitles on, any and all TV shows and movies.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:13 AM   #2007

X-Men 97 anyone?
Old 03-26-2024, 03:58 PM   #2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
X-Men 97 anyone?
Every time I try watching these nostalgic cartoons that should be written for people my age, I am disappointed that they are just straight up children's cartoons. This was another one of those. Castlevania on Netflix was less childish, and the new D&D on Amazon.

It's great for kids today though, if they are even willing to watch a 30 minute cartoon like this or He-Man or whatever.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:40 AM   #2009

anyone seen this yet? I know it's 3 episode... space / God / sci fi.... got thru the 1st episode.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:27 AM   #2010
mc.
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post

anyone seen this yet? I know it's 3 episode... space / God / sci fi.... got thru the 1st episode.
Yup. I liked it, lots of comments on the books vs. this adaptation, but I think it was done well IMO.

Def slow in the first handful of episodes, but picks up quite a bit in the later half.
mc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 12:27 PM   #2011

wow, it kept dragging on. Wife and i enjoyed it just wished it wans't a 3 part series.
Going to be tough to get green lit for season 2 and 3 as it's such an expensive serious.

again, what do i know...
Old 04-02-2024, 05:39 AM   #2012

Oct 2023 movie, very small limited production - doubt it'll ever make it to theater.
Family coming back together after mother passed away.

Easy story line with a sad premise. I thought it was nicely done. Kay Tse is not a punk rocker / singer and can only do slow songs, so for her to do a movie and carry a movie was interesting. Surely got a lot of tips from her husband (who has done a lot of great movies to be honest).

Teddy Robin (who is a legend back in the 70s) and the little kid who was a drummer stole the show. Decent movie to watch.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:00 PM   #2013

We are Family - Hong kong movie.

I know no one likes Eric Tsang esp with his dumb ass movies, but dang... so many people cutting onions in this movie... he was superb. I don't think i have ever seen him cry in any movies but this one he was legit.

Premise - Actors for rent - to participate in your grad, dinner etc, act as your gf etc.
Simple movie, yet, a minor turns and twist... everyone in the case was FREAKING fantastic.
Extremely low budget movie, so many teary moments.

Just shows you don't need nothing but a good script, good actors and director to make things work.

SHould not miss this one.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2024, 09:05 AM   #2014

finally got aroudn seeing this.
Jeremy Allen White is famous from Shameless which was decent back in the days. It was interesting to see him play himself in this.
Season 1 and 2 back to back was not bad. I did not like season 2 where they inserted a an entire 40 mins episode of flash back despite it was jamie lee curtis.

huge fan of cooking so this was a treat and seeing how each chef had their own redemption was nice.

Renewed for season 3 and 4 recently so we'll see. Doesn't have huge cliff hanger each episode but i did really enjoy season 2 much better.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:20 PM   #2015
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Fallout is out guys, loved the games, hoping the show lives up.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2024, 12:48 PM   #2016
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
The Fallout experience at SXSW in Austin was pretty crazy, hope the show lives up to the hype
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 11:40 PM   #2017

First 3 episodes of Fallout were EXCELLENT. Absolutely delivers. Can't wait to watch more
Old 04-17-2024, 08:41 PM   #2018

Let's talk about CHU
8 episode, all available.
1) it's taiwanese rom com
2) one main family with 5 different story lines of a) sex b) LGBTQ c) gambling d) KOL e) marriage issue f) cross generational issues
3) I have to say they did push the boundaries of gay sex on screen mulitple times which is definitely pushing the envelope.

some eposides were 20 mins and the last one was an hr so that threw me off.

See this as chinese version of friends with benefit (justine timberlake) + baggage of family issues all mixed together.

Decent watch but can't say it was epic
Old 04-18-2024, 10:09 AM   #2019

6793026, do you watch this stuff solo, or with your gal?
Old 04-18-2024, 12:29 PM   #2020

99% are solo while i'm spinning. Good ones (75% and above) gets filtered to invite the wifey to watch.

People go thru series, i go thru movies.. but movies are getting slim these days.. so i had to find alternatives..

Will check out Fall out soon.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2024, 01:52 PM   #2021

Fallout - 8/10

Great show, bit silly at the end, 1st half was much better, still really enjoyed it.

Worth a watch.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:25 PM   #2022
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
I’m enjoying Fallout, we’re about 4 episodes in

Love they went the direction of complete fan service as opposed to trying to make it more serious etc. the personality of the vault dwellers and their ignorance of the outside world is spot on to what I imagined in the games.

I would say that the fan service is to a degree however that some characters and storylines don’t really make sense to people who don’t know the game? Lol like my wife is aware of the games and the basic premise etc. but the brotherhood of steel obviously seems like completely out of the blue
Old 04-18-2024, 02:37 PM   #2023

My wife asked if it's like playing the game, and yup, it is just like the game. Entering a vault, you never know what to expect. And the storyline they had with Vault 4, you could totally see happening in the game. And maybe they got it from one of the games, I don't know I haven't played them all. I think this is all new though.

And the fight in the supermarket, and the choices she had to make at the end, was just like the game

And now she wants to watch me play one of the games when we're finished with the show! ok that would be a different experience. But one of her favourite gaming experiences ever was watching me randomly explore in Elder Scrolls IV, so I could do that with one of the Fallout games. I'll have to find out which one has the least dialogue, because I think that can be boring as an observer.

This is pretty much the best video game adaptation with a new story that has ever been made. Awesome stuff
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2024, 09:48 AM   #2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I’m enjoying Fallout, we’re about 4 episodes in

Love they went the direction of complete fan service as opposed to trying to make it more serious etc. the personality of the vault dwellers and their ignorance of the outside world is spot on to what I imagined in the games.

I would say that the fan service is to a degree however that some characters and storylines don’t really make sense to people who don’t know the game? Lol like my wife is aware of the games and the basic premise etc. but the brotherhood of steel obviously seems like completely out of the blue
Brotherhood of Steel are a MAJOR part of the Fallout plot, in all the games.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:53 PM   #2025

YOLO

weird title i know; YOLO is the movie title (remake of a 2014 jap movie)
熱辣滾燙 - it's weird. the actress was also the director of the film. Her 1st movie was about time travel to see his own dad which also was played and directed by herself.

Movie was about a 30 yr old lady... so sad, so fat, got insulted by sister and stumbles into boxing training.

Her boxing trainer sort of dated her, and lost to his own principles and doesn't box anymore (didn't want to spoil the movie.) She stumbled upon other things and decided to box. Trained and JUST wanted to at least win one match or give it her best.

Because she directed this... the boxing part was crap; the boxing portion was only 20 mins of the movie so that's a blessing in disguise.

All in all, happy go lucky movie; end credits was legit.
Actress gained 40 lbs for the role (she was already a bit chubby) but lost 100 lbs.
HOLY F is right... the end credits was a timeline on what happened.

Thought the ending was a bit rushed and in a way the love story didn't really resolve into anything.

All in all, she emphasized it's not a movie about boxing but about "Because I want to be loved"; by family, by friend, by everything.

Movie is decent, just that wasn't her best work her 1st movie was much better. Still a worthy watch.