REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-12-2023, 04:18 PM   #17751
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,911 Posts
^ Badhobz for PM .. or Premier ... or Mayor.
Advertisement
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 04:55 PM   #17752
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
BC Ferries will be in shambles if they build a tunnel France / England style to connect the island to the lower mainland. And given our productivity level it'll take like 50+ years to get through all the red tape and NIMBYism that's going to appear.

We simply don't have the money or economic growth to justify large infrastructure projects like this (unfortunately).
iirc one of the nordic countries built something similar and grander? after all was said and done it didn't even cost an insane amount, like 30billion or so
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:08 PM   #17753
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,281 Times in 1,969 Posts
Seeing so many Ioniq 6s in this rich fuck city.

Makes my Infiniti look less repulsive

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:28 PM   #17754
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Fuck man this is why western society is getting left behind. ChiNAR wants a bridge they just build one. It’s done in like a few months.

We want a bridge, we need to ask everyone and their mothers for approval. Then it has to go through a gazillion tests and engineering oversight committees etc. by the time it’s all done the costs are 4x what was initially quoted and it’ll already underserve the needs of the people.

I’m trying to push Rob bank second terminal and got bogged down in environmental regulations and talks with the First Nations. Something about some fucking bird that isn’t even endangered but is at risk if we build robbank terminal 2.

Fuck you bird.
You're arguing in favor of unilateral power to a few people not selected by the public

It does have its advantages, you have to admit. But they don't always make the right decisions, and there's no accountability whatsoever. In fact sometimes when people try to apply accountability, they go to prison for the rest of their lives, or worse.

Might be too heavy of a subject for this thread lol
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2023, 06:00 PM   #17755

Thanked 8,720 Times in 3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ Badhobz for PM .. or Premier ... or Mayor.
Thanks but no thanks. I hate everyone so I don’t think I can keep up the charade for long.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 07:28 PM   #17756

Thanked 8,720 Times in 3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You're arguing in favor of unilateral power to a few people not selected by the public

It does have its advantages, you have to admit. But they don't always make the right decisions, and there's no accountability whatsoever. In fact sometimes when people try to apply accountability, they go to prison for the rest of their lives, or worse.

Might be too heavy of a subject for this thread lol
Oh for sure. I totally agree. But it’s just very efficient when it comes to these type of things.

also efficient in passing brain washing legislation to pacify and spy on their own people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Seeing so many Ioniq 6s in this rich fuck city.

Makes my Infiniti look less repulsive

These modern cars all look like garbage compared to that beautiful masterwork of Japanese engineering.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 08:41 AM   #17757
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Has the quality of auto parts gone down since the pandemic?

Example #1:
I replaced a simple part, a fuel filter with a built in pressure regulator, with a Euro brand made in the EU. I started getting cold start issues, so I figured maybe the fuel pump was going too. Replaced the pump and still had cold start issues. I bit the bullet and bought a replacement fuel filter from another Euro brand and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Example #2:
I bought a new power steering reservoir and it leaked right out of the box.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 09:44 AM   #17758

Thanked 4,583 Times in 1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Honestly if you haven't heard the album Folklore by Taylor swift you are missing out. Written with Aaron dessner from the national and Justin Vernon of bon iver. It's a fucking hammer of an album, and totally solidifies TS as a true talent that goes well beyond a pop star.
I wouldn't sit through a concert TBH because it isn't my thing beyond that album, but even the snobbiest of music snobs should appreciate her.
I'm mad at you.

I went ahead and attempted to give this emo ass album a listen yesterday while at the beach. God damn was that not the slowest most boring and monotone album I've heard in a while now. Every damn song sounded the same, one depressing song after the next

I expected more.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2023, 09:57 AM   #17759
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
You have to listen to it on a Victrola to appreciate the music.........

In Mike we Trust, so me no buy that album, gulolol

With a title like Folk lore.................. nuff said.

As for the singer, I don't find her overly attractive. Average at best. The overall package is spectacular and she works her butt off, so lots of positives.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2023, 10:41 AM   #17760
GS8

Thanked 7,281 Times in 1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I'm mad at you.

I went ahead and attempted to give this emo ass album a listen yesterday while at the beach. God damn was that not the slowest most boring and monotone album I've heard in a while now. Every damn song sounded the same, one depressing song after the next

I expected more.
To be fair, our modern (western) world is riddled with this: Always be sad, depressed, angry, chock full of anxiety and no motivation, even though many of our lives are objectively good and better than generations before. Some pessimism and cynicism can be good for a defense mechanism to keep us grounded but for the most part, it's not as bad as 'AcAdEmIA' would have us believe. And once this bleeds into the arts on a wide scale, then it can have irreversible damage, especially on children who are still highly impressionable and easily influenced.

Spoiler!

I've never listened to Taylor at all but once anyone (skilled or not) is in the realm of pop culture, I just can't take it seriously because pop culture is junk food for the brain. Call me old fashioned, but I like authentic music, not mass produced generic airwave filler that sounds 96% similar to the song that plays before and after it. Many artists have suffered when they move upward. Suddenly the dream they thought they had about making it big becomes a nightmare and you end up with tragedy after tragedy. The reality is when you make it big, it's not about the art the original artist but rather the that person is just a performer and everything else is done by a sophisticated team. Sounds nice right? Well the reality is that these teams are comprised mostly of parasites and leech off fresh faces. It's a horrendous experience. I read some info about Leonard Cohen. That poor guy was dealt many hard blows before he died. But more relevant, think about Avicii.

Pop culture is a very toxic environment and only made worse with the momentum in technology. It's going to be a much bigger revolving door. People like Taylor are 1%'ers. But eventually she'll be out and someone else will take her place. Brittney Spears was Taylor at one point in her life.

Spoiler!

Last edited by GS8; 08-13-2023 at 10:50 AM.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2023, 11:37 AM   #17761

You both should give it a quick listen, I'm curious to hear both your thoughts.

I get that I'm not the demographic for her stuff, but I can appreciate any music if it's good. This wasn't it. The album was just flat, no choruses, nothing you can really sing to.

Track after track of a billionaire crying about her supposedly sad life. It doesn't resonate with me.

I get teenage girls want to listen to all that crybaby sad stuff, I suppose that's why she's so lionized by them, but god damn what soapy basic music. I can't even imagine the vibe of listening to that auditory sleeping pill in a live arena music setting.

Her voice isn't even unique or powerful, it comes off very whiney and weak.

Thanks for triggering me yesterday, Westopher.

Last edited by mikemhg; 08-13-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:40 AM   #17762

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
You have to listen to it on a Victrola to appreciate the music.........

In Mike we Trust, so me no buy that album, gulolol

With a title like Folk lore.................. nuff said.

As for the singer, I don't find her overly attractive. Average at best. The overall package is spectacular and she works her butt off, so lots of positives.
You are enshrined within my signature old man.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2023, 01:14 PM   #17763
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
I'm mad at you.

I expected more.
imo, Folklore wasn't a great album to start with.
The album came out shortly after the pandemic and was pretty much inspired by the depression caused by quarantine or whatever else was relatable with people during that time.

It's a bit bland and boring for my taste though, but I'm sure it hit the right spots for many people during 2020.

I enjoyed her early albums and also the more upbeat songs from albums 1989 and Lover.

I haven't heard her last 3 albums thoroughly though. Seems like she's been pumping them out fast and I couldn't keep up.

But that's the thing with Taylor Swift, she's not really boxed up into one genre. Every album, she seems to try something new with a different theme, so they can be hit or miss, or maybe nothing works for you. But she does offer variety and has never been stagnant in her direction of music.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2023, 06:12 PM   #17764
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
I'm mad at you.

I expected more.
Dude it's songs to listen to when you're drinking scotch alone during lockdown, not stuff to play at the fuckin beach lol. Play back dat azz up like a normal person.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2023, 06:27 PM   #17765
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
To be fair, our modern (western) world is riddled with this: Always be sad, depressed, angry, chock full of anxiety and no motivation, even though many of our lives are objectively good and better than generations before. Some pessimism and cynicism can be good for a defense mechanism to keep us grounded but for the most part, it's not as bad as 'AcAdEmIA' would have us believe. And once this bleeds into the arts on a wide scale, then it can have irreversible damage, especially on children who are still highly impressionable and easily influenced.

Spoiler!

I've never listened to Taylor at all but once anyone (skilled or not) is in the realm of pop culture, I just can't take it seriously because pop culture is junk food for the brain. Call me old fashioned, but I like authentic music, not mass produced generic airwave filler that sounds 96% similar to the song that plays before and after it. Many artists have suffered when they move upward. Suddenly the dream they thought they had about making it big becomes a nightmare and you end up with tragedy after tragedy. The reality is when you make it big, it's not about the art the original artist but rather the that person is just a performer and everything else is done by a sophisticated team. Sounds nice right? Well the reality is that these teams are comprised mostly of parasites and leech off fresh faces. It's a horrendous experience. I read some info about Leonard Cohen. That poor guy was dealt many hard blows before he died. But more relevant, think about Avicii.

Pop culture is a very toxic environment and only made worse with the momentum in technology. It's going to be a much bigger revolving door. People like Taylor are 1%'ers. But eventually she'll be out and someone else will take her place. Brittney Spears was Taylor at one point in her life.

Spoiler!

Music is not made for people in there late 30's and 40's. It's made for people in there teens and 20's.

Taylor Swift was 16 when she released her first album. She will be selling out stadiums well into her 60's or when ever she decides to quit.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:33 PM   #17766
MG1

What gets me tapping my feet and wanting to get up and dance, is gospel music. That and Rockabilly. New Orleans Jazz, as well.

Old 08-13-2023, 06:35 PM   #17767
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Music is not made for people in there late 30's and 40's. It's made for people in there teens and 20's.

Taylor Swift was 16 when she released her first album. She will be selling out stadiums well into her 60's or when ever she decides to quit.
Good music is for all ages, all creeds, all who have ears and a heart.......... even deaf people can feel and appreciate good music.

Quote:
Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast, To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak

Old 08-13-2023, 06:36 PM   #17768
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
and NIMBYism that's going to appear.
I mean, as a Victorian I have zero desire to become a suburb of Vancouver, which is what would happen with any bridge to the south end of the island. Thank god for the massive and prohibitively expensive engineering challges . The last study on a fixed link concluded that the bridge tolls would be like twice the current ferry fares.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 06:40 PM   #17769
MG1

Move the capitol to the mainland............. Make Surrey the capital city. Save tax payers a shitload of money. Leave Islanders alone to their own quirks.

I know........... let's all vote.

Old 08-13-2023, 06:48 PM   #17770
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
Quote:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
You sound like a college freshman who just finished his first year and discovered non mainstream music for the first time.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2023, 07:10 PM   #17771
MG1

WTF? No Diet Coke on the shelves - anywhere. Coca Cola said this strike would not affect supply as they can bring in the stuff from elsewhere. As yray would say, "It's a lie."

Tonnes, I mean tonnes, of regular Coke, but nothing else......... no Coke Zero or Diet Coke in any configuration. Imma going to get me a flat of Diet Coke in cans at Costco. If Costco is out of stock, there's going to be some panic, I tells ya.............. I might have to drink No Name shit............. but come hell or high water, no Pepsi. SAY NO TO PEPSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2023, 07:13 PM   #17772
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
WTF? No Diet Coke on the shelves - anywhere. Coca Cola said this strike would not affect supply as they can bring in the stuff from elsewhere. As yray would say, "It's a lie."

Tonnes, I mean tonnes, of regular Coke, but nothing else......... no Coke Zero or Diet Coke in any configuration. Imma going to get me a flat of Diet Coke in cans at Costco. If Costco is out of stock, there's going to be some panic, I tells ya..............
A week ago I went into Save-on-Foods to grab some for a barbeque. Went WTF when the entire shelf was empty of Coke products. Thought it was a supply issue with Save-on-Foods only because when I went to Superstore, a guy in a Coca Cola red polo was loading up the shelves. Guess I live under a rock.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 07:44 PM   #17773
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
RE: Taylor swift, I don’t really get it either as someone who listens to TONNES of music and have my whole life I know TS got some bangers but to drive this type of fame is pretty crazy. I’ll give Westophers emo album a go though as now being a transit user I have time to listen lol..

In regards to the pop culture/pop music thing I remember there was a discussion I read on when TS was more of a “country” singer and people began saying “oh Taylor isn’t country enough anymore” or saying it’s tarnishing country musics reputation

The guest or host, I can’t remember who said it but he was kinda like lol.. TS is BIGGER than country as a genre

This is on a whole other scale compared to sensations like Britney Spears etc.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:48 PM   #17774
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:

Tonnes, I mean tonnes, of regular Coke, but nothing else......... no Coke Zero or Diet Coke in any configuration. Imma going to get me a flat of Diet Coke in cans at Costco. If Costco is out of stock, there's going to be some panic, I tells ya.............. I might have to drink No Name shit............. but come hell or high water, no Pepsi. SAY NO TO PEPSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I prefer diet pepsi but my dad's a diet coke fanatic and superstore has been out of DC for awhile and now save-on is out too and they've got a sign up indicating supply chain issues
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:36 PM   #17775
MG1

Right now 6 x 710 mL is on sale for $3.00 each at Shoppers Drug Mart. No point in sale if product is not in stock, lol. Safeway doesn't match prices. Neither does Walmart. London Drugs will. Anyway, I do have a rain check from Safeway (no expiry and no limit) for 2.95. Saving it for real emergency. They do go bad and have an expiry date. I'll get them when I'm completely out of stock. Still have half a dozen 2 Litre bottles from when they were $1.29 each. 2 Litres used to cost 99¢ not that long ago and you could get the 6 x 710 mL for $2.50 (Rexall). Tim Biebs and Milwaukee Packout insulated tumblers, ftmfw! Milwaukee fits in the Ridgeline cupholders, but not in the Honda Fit. With ice, the tumblers keep drinks cold even in this heat for about half a day.I have a Costco Titan cooler with Ice packs that keeps the 710 mL Diet Coke bottles ice cold for at least one and a half days. If I run out, there's always Dollar Drink Days, lol. When traveling in the US, I have to have Canadian Diet Coke. I can't stand American Diet Coke....... yuk!

Last edited by MG1; 08-13-2023 at 10:44 PM.