REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 12-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
SFU business related question

im stuck with a dilemna here, wud appreciate any help possible, im currently stuck with a 89% average and are in a situation where i do not know which faculty i want to apply for. I want to either pursue in a field of physiology(science faculty) or perhaps marketing(business faculty), either one appeals to me as career interest. i am told that my 89% term 1 average is a safe bet into the science faculty, but not the business faculty, and that the science faculty is almost as easy as the arts faculty to get into. Thing is that i am not a science person and want to avoid the physics, chemistry, courses as much as possible. I am not sure how my marks would do later on in my second term and dont know if it will drop or boost up(i tend to be a very fluctuating person, getting good grades at times, bad grades at times), so i would like to have a health sciences faculty (a relatively easy faculty to get into) as a back up. I cannot have 3 choices to submit into my application so i dont know what i should do. I have thought of flipping a coin to decide my fate lol
Advertisement
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
dont slack yet...2nd term is most important...my marks in 2nd term dropped and I had my admission offer revoked
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Treasure Chest MOD

im still going to try my best effort, but sometimes my marks still dont end up the way i expect them to... how much did ur average drop for ur admission to get revoked?
Old 12-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
dont slack yet...2nd term is most important...my marks in 2nd term dropped and I had my admission offer revoked
I remember reading your threads.. You dropped to 79? and they revoked your offer right? What school did you end up going to?
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #5

i applied to sfu for spring semester 11' and got in
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
which faculty was it that u got in for this spring semester? so basically what ur saying is that no matter what mark u have, if ur mark drops by a certain amount ur admission is declined?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

You can normally apply for a first choice and a backup. If Business is your first choice and they reject you, you can still be admitted for your backup (in this case BPK).
Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
You can normally apply for a first choice and a backup. If Business is your first choice and they reject you, you can still be admitted for your backup (in this case BPK).
yup, but problem with me is that, if i put business as my first choice, i will have to put sfu science as my backup, and if i dont get high enuf, i wont be admitted into both, whereas if i put science as my first choice and health science as my second, i will have a much higher chance of getting into health science (altho i am trying to avoid this) if only sfu could allow us to pick 3 choices...
Old 12-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Did you apply with 79% or did you upgrade your marks through summer school/online etc
Old 12-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
yup, but problem with me is that, if i put business as my first choice, i will have to put sfu science as my backup, and if i dont get high enuf, i wont be admitted into both, whereas if i put science as my first choice and health science as my second, i will have a much higher chance of getting into health science (altho i am trying to avoid this) if only sfu could allow us to pick 3 choices...
I think its better to be safe than sorry..but then again your average is 89% which is really high.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post
I think its better to be safe than sorry..but then again your average is 89% which is really high.

89% is high i guess for science and for arts, but for business, its actually quite low, and i heard that u would also need extracurricular activities that revolve around business now, not just extracurricular activities in general,, sigh...if i stick with science, i just know that it will be a very very painful first two years of uni...
Old 12-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #12

i got in CS. Nah my avg went back up to 80% for finals. They didnt even look at it because it was too full..

Well as long as your mark 2nd term doesnt drop below the admission avg you wont get rejected.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
~~

For business at sfu it is now mandatory to write a supplemental about your accomplishments and extracurriculars, etc so you still have a chance if you have done a lot of other stuff. At 89 your supp app has to be pretty good!
Posted via RS Mobile
rien is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rien View Post
For business at sfu it is now mandatory to write a supplemental about your accomplishments and extracurriculars, etc so you still have a chance if you have done a lot of other stuff. At 89 your supp app has to be pretty good!
Posted via RS Mobile

by pretty good do u mean, that i should have alot of extracurriculars, or like a few that i am really strong in? is it true that the extracurriculars should be business related? such as business clubs, organizations, etc? because i have many extra curriculars that give me business related skills, but they are not necessarily business related activities, things that i have include: karate black belt instructor ( teaching skills, leadership skills) and karate first place contestant everytime i go, public speaking competitions, lifesaving, first aid
library club
Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
Treasure Chest MOD

btw i know this is not related to the topic much, but since we`re on the topic of admission, when u guys did ur supplementary, it asked for references. I know that they mentioned a reference cannot be a family member or friend, and can only be teacher, guidance counsellor or employer, but i would really like to use my karate instructor as a reference as he is the one that knows me the most and i can trust in him to give a good solid reference, are there any exceptions to these?
Old 12-26-2010, 04:10 AM   #16
~~

I think your karate instructor should be ok as he is someone who can attest to some of your ECs. Call sfu and ask to make sure though. You do need more than one reference right? If anything, if your instructor hired you to teach other kids, he could fall under employer if that is the case.

ECs don't have to be business related at all. They look at whatever you do outside the classroom(sports, MUN, dance teams, music, etc.) Quality over quantity.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2010, 04:18 AM   #17
~~

Oh and as for pretty good...

The higher your average is, the less your supp app is weighed. 89 is not a bad average but there are a lot of people with the same, if not a higher one. Supp app is an opportunity to prove that you are better than the next guy.

Are you applying to sauder as well?
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #18
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Oh and as for pretty good...

The higher your average is, the less your supp app is weighed. 89 is not a bad average but there are a lot of people with the same, if not a higher one. Supp app is an opportunity to prove that you are better than the next guy.

Are you applying to sauder as well?
Posted via RS Mobile
probably not because ive already chosen the human kinetics faculty and arts faculty as my two choices for ubc, unless sauder is separate from ubc?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
~~

^ Sauder is the name of the business faculty at ubc lol
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #20
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
^ Sauder is the name of the business faculty at ubc lol
Posted via RS Mobile

haha yeah just realized, i got confused i knew it was nearby ubc but cus it seemed like it was an entire complex of its own, rien are u currently a uni student?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #21
~~

Nope. Grade 12 student filling out university applications as well!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #22
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Anyone do the MBA at SFU? Thoughts? How are the courses instructed (lots of paper writing, projects? etc.)?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #23
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Nope. Grade 12 student filling out university applications as well!
Posted via RS Mobile

ahh i good luck to u as well then... u seem to have everything set and ready to go... i however, am not haha... wats ur average so far if u dont mind me askin?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #24
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Anyone do the MBA at SFU? Thoughts? How are the courses instructed (lots of paper writing, projects? etc.)?
t.,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG111 View Post
get the fuck out if you don't have anything productive to say. troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing666 View Post
No seriously....I think I really enjoy penis. I think about it all the time.

Last edited by ASG111; 01-01-2011 at 03:41 PM.
ASG111 is offline   Reply With Quote