REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #26
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
just got my car back from the bodyshop today - my KM's were exactly the same lol
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #27
RS Licensed Vendor

Might be different, but most shops I know take the cars out for a spin to test it. Nothing worse than having a customer picking up their car to find out the mechanic overlooked something.

I mean if its a little thing like bodywork, stereo install or minor maintenance then of course not. I'd rather someone bag on my car to make sure things are running right, then to just do mechanical work of a suspected problem and not ensure it was properly addressed.

Things like brakes, motor work, ecu tuning require shops to bag on the cars. Not much diff than throwing a car on a dyno.

This video doesnt really apply because it's not the mechanic taking the car out looking for issues.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #28
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
i knew this kid who's dad owned a shop and the kid would always take random cars out and tell girls they're his.
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

This video may not be true. All you know is someone drove the car. Perhaps he was the one that took it on the test drive after the car was worked on? When I was a lot attendant at a motorcycle dealer (I'm now a service advisor) I was asked on more than one occasion and even now to do a PDI ride or test ride a customers bike if the mechanic was too busy.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #30
Need my Daily Fix of RS

dont stereotype everyone at a shop as the same please as i am a flat rater tech for only a couple years and i have better things to do then rape on your vehicle. of course there are idiots in every workplace.

eg: if a person at a restaurant say spits in your food is there going to be a thread that says "What REALLY Happens When Eating At Restaurants?"
steviey_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #31
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
at brian jessel, there is a huge window in the waiting lounge that is a clear view into the working bays. so yeah, if the mech has an itch, and has to scratch it, he's in clear view! hahaha. in the back is the wash bays, vacuum bays, and basic car storage that is for cars that need more than 24hrs to diagnose or waiting for parts. there is also a "wet down" area for cars that need water sprayed on them to test for leaks. other than that, cant think of much else behind the fence. ohh, and an area that is used during the summer time for dealership bbq's.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
yeah when i went back there they saw me on the security camera and some guy came out and hes like sir this is a private area and i told him im just spying on my car hes like oh its just getting the finishing touches and is about to go in line for a wash. I couldnt really see it from the customers lounge tho haha
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #33
I bringith the lowerballerith

yea i never see my car through the lounge window...
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #34
Banned By Establishment

This is why I always temp. flash my Valet map before handing the car over for any service, alignment, etc. 3000rpm redline and no boost is all those fuckers will get.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #35
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

I use to work for VW. Our mechanics and sales guy were usually too busy to be joy riding on customers cars. We really don't get excited about your car that you think is a hot rod with an aftermarket exhaust.

Fact is, new cars on our lot will be tested and evaluated and they will be
driven hard. A bit misleading to think we would beat on cars and drive like idiots, especially a customers car.

It's a lot diffrent when your surrounded by cars, they kind of lose their excitement.
Posted via RS Mobile
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #36
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i wasn't able to find the original post for this when i searched here, but someone awhile back posted about a mercedes owner in the US that brought her car in for repair for some problem. the mechanic drove her car home after work as a road test to diagnose what was wrong and ended up totalling the car in an accident... there was a lot of fallout on both sides after that (dealership wouldn't fully compensate her until i think legal action was taken, and the owner had been stuck with payments on a totalled car because the payout the insurance co. gave her was only on the heavily depreciated value)
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 01-05-2011 at 08:43 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #37
racing & tech mod.

Unfortunately the only people who are willing to porter cars for $8/hour are kids who are car enthusiasts. And it's usually 1% of those kids who wind up bagging on a customers car, and in the worst case scenario, damaging it, before they get fired. It's actually pretty rare considering how much business dealerships and repair shops do.

As was pointed out above, most salesmen and techs are busy actually working to give a shit about joyriding your boring ass car. Unless you have an LP640 Lambo or a Carrera GT, no one really cares. They'll road test it to troubleshoot any problems, but that's about it. Giving it a bit of gas isn't doing any harm, either.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2011, 02:38 AM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
Unless you have an LP640 Lambo or a Carrera GT, no one really cares. They'll road test it to troubleshoot any problems, but that's about it. Giving it a bit of gas isn't doing any harm, either.
Like what happened here: http://www.revscene.net/forums/porsc...s-t628039.html
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #39
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
This doesn't surprise me one bit.

I picked up my old EL from Maximum Collision in White Rock years ago and there were a TON of touched up rock chips all over the driver's side of my car. To this day I have no idea how it happened but they tried to give it back to me that way. Obviously, I noticed and made them fix it.

Owner was on vacation at the time so I couldn't speak to him directly as I wanted to know details as to what happened. I emailed him a couple of times asking for an explanation and never received one.

So yeah, stay the fuck away from Maxiumum Collision. They'll fuck up your car, will try to cover it rather than man up and admit to it and when you try to get answers from ownership, they'll ignore you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #40
I am Hook'd on RS

I took my Trans Am in for new tires. They called me and said that the car was ready. I came right away since the place was only three minutes from my house. When I got there, the car wasn't around and the guy said the mechanic took it for a test ride. 20 mins later he STILL wasn't around. I was starting to get a little concerned. Another 15 goes by and I start to approach the desk to mention my worry. As I did that, the car zoomed up into the lot and I ran out there immediately.

The guy who got out of my car emerged with the smell of weed on him. I asked what took him so long and he said he was testing the car. I stuck my head in the car, and it reeked. I shut the door, marched right back into the office and told the owner to get out here and smell my car.

I was NOT happy at all.
Micaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #41
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micaiah View Post
I took my Trans Am in for new tires. They called me and said that the car was ready. I came right away since the place was only three minutes from my house. When I got there, the car wasn't around and the guy said the mechanic took it for a test ride. 20 mins later he STILL wasn't around. I was starting to get a little concerned. Another 15 goes by and I start to approach the desk to mention my worry. As I did that, the car zoomed up into the lot and I ran out there immediately.

The guy who got out of my car emerged with the smell of weed on him. I asked what took him so long and he said he was testing the car. I stuck my head in the car, and it reeked. I shut the door, marched right back into the office and told the owner to get out here and smell my car.

I was NOT happy at all.
What happened after?
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #42
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
yeah what happend after lol ( i HATE cliffhangers haha)
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #43
straight from the fields of squamton

this one time, after doing a winter special on an STI, I had the wheels off to balance, so I had to test it out, part of my job. I got it up to the speed limit, twice, then pushed her up to about 80km/h in a 70km/h zone and found that the wheels were on tight and balanced.

then I brought the car back and parked it neatly in front of the shop i work at.

later that week the guy posted online that some shop had fucked up his car by racing it....

true story? who knows.

all I know is reading half of these stories are sad. that people are afraid to bring their cars in for service because they might go to seattle, or stink like pot, or get crashed into a pole.

also in this thread, butthurt kids with 1990 turbo MONSTERSSSS
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #44
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Yaminashi View Post
I always take note of my mileage when I drop my car off. Its always either the same or 1 km more than when I dropped it off
I did the same and never had a problem.
Although when my buddy worked at a goodyear shop years ago, one of the older mechanics decided to take a customers corvette out or a road test and did a nice burnout while leaving the lot, not realizing the owner was still around. I think the owner of the shop gave the corvette owner some freebies.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote