REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Photography Lab (https://www.revscene.net/forums/photography-lab_205/)
-   -   wide gamut ugliness =( (https://www.revscene.net/forums/634926-wide-gamut-ugliness-%3D.html)

J____ 01-12-2011 02:42 AM

wide gamut ugliness =(

just got a wide gamut 27" from my buddy, and all the web images on chrome/ie look like doodoo. Looks super saturated in the reds. And all my old stuff saved in sRGB looks desaturated lol, had to convert everything to Adobe RGB.

anyone have advise on color profiling on wide gamut monitors for non calibrated browsers? my images all look like people from tomato land...

N.V.M. 01-12-2011 09:07 AM

here's an expensive solution:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NEC/P...e=diglloyd-mpg

ForbiddenX 01-12-2011 07:41 PM

Maybe try looking for one of these?

http://lifehacker.com/5732038/calibr...ed-color-meter

J____ 01-12-2011 08:59 PM

nm, i've read up on the issue and got a better understanding.

The monitor is calibrated. I have a spyder 3. It's not the calibration. The color looks great once the image is on the proper color space. I take my prints beside my monitor and it looks dead on. Only thing is most monitors that arn't wide gamut display only sRGB, the wide gamuts can display more color than sRGB and interprets the images from unprofiled browsers as overly saturated.

Kinda annoying and a real hassle to convert color spaces back and forth, but it's well worth it for amazing color reproduction.

here's a better explanation

http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/srgb_wide_gamut.html

gars 01-12-2011 09:45 PM

ya - some wide-gammut monitors are better at displaying sRGB than others. They have some sRGB simulation or something build in. The Dell Ultrasharp U2410 is half decent I've read - while the HP LP2475W is horrible.

Senna4ever 01-12-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7262787)
ya - some wide-gammut monitors are better at displaying sRGB than others. They have some sRGB simulation or something build in. The Dell Ultrasharp U2410 is half decent I've read - while the HP LP2475W is horrible.

No, wide gamut monitors surpass sRGB.

J____ 01-12-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 7262820)

thats correct, but because of this, un-profiled programs meant for sRGB monitors like chrome and IE will auto apply the wide gamut monitor profile to the images somehow causing them to be super blown. Because of this some wide gamut monitor have a sRGB 'simulation' to simulate a standard monitor to better represent the color.

N.V.M. 01-13-2011 06:07 AM

i just checked out that link with IE and Firefox. IE...fail. Firefox..win.

J____ 01-13-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N.V.M. (Post 7263209)
i just checked out that link with IE and Firefox. IE...fail. Firefox..win.

ya this is weird, you'd think it would be a standard..

Soundy 01-13-2011 07:58 AM

I've been wanting a Spyder or something for ages... that Lifehacker link suggests some camera shops will rent them out. Anyone know of any around here that do?

Or does anyone have one I could borrow??? :D

gars 01-13-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 7262820)

what i meant was that the wide gamut monitors don't display sRGB well - everything looks oversaturated. But some wide gamut monitors have an emulation mode which still allows sRGB to be displayed half decently without the saturation.

Senna4ever 01-13-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7263252)
I've been wanting a Spyder or something for ages... that Lifehacker link suggests some camera shops will rent them out. Anyone know of any around here that do?

Or does anyone have one I could borrow??? :D

I think Leo's does, although it violates the software license terms, AFAIK. I totally think it's worth buying one, as you need to calibrate weekly anyways.

Soundy 01-13-2011 10:13 AM

I'd love to buy one of my own, just don't have the "spare" cash to justify it.

ddr 01-13-2011 03:09 PM

if you have a flat-screen on a wall say ... 30ft away, hooked up to your computer, how do you calibrate something like that?

J____ 01-13-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 7263331)
I think Leo's does, although it violates the software license terms, AFAIK. I totally think it's worth buying one, as you need to calibrate weekly anyways.

you can download the software freely from their site..

J____ 01-13-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddr (Post 7263670)
if you have a flat-screen on a wall say ... 30ft away, hooked up to your computer, how do you calibrate something like that?

if u plan on using a spyder or similar hardware calibrator, u'll only see if it's running off your computer because it's a profile the program applies. When it's on cable/dvd/ps3, there is no calibration. Unless you do it by hand in the settings.

but either way u'd calibrate it the same as you would with a computer monitor, hand the thing on the proper position and go thorugh the steps.

N.V.M. 01-13-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J____ (Post 7263992)
if u plan on using a spyder or similar hardware calibrator, u'll only see if it's running off your computer because it's a profile the program applies. When it's on cable/dvd/ps3, there is no calibration. Unless you do it by hand in the settings.

but either way u'd calibrate it the same as you would with a computer monitor, hand the thing on the proper position and go thorugh the steps.

does it work on a dual monitor setup(or more)?

J____ 01-13-2011 06:24 PM

i am not sure. never tried it on dual

N.V.M. 01-13-2011 06:40 PM

quick google says no. sux.

Soundy 01-13-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N.V.M. (Post 7264026)

The Lifehacker article above suggests it for exactly that purpose:

Quote:

While most folks don't need to calibrate their monitor's color (unless you're a hardcore photo editor or graphic designer), dual-monitor setups can often cause a bit of color frustration. While you can get a lot of great monitors for pretty cheap, they won't always come calibrated the same—heck, I bought two of the exact same monitor and their colors did not match at all. If you find that using your computer's built-in color calibration tools just aren't working, you can get a little outside help for cheap...

Senna4ever 01-13-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J____ (Post 7263987)
you can download the software freely from their site..

You need the serial# of the hardware device.

J____ 01-13-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 7264194)
You need the serial# of the hardware device.

ahh ur right. It recognized mine from the first input. I forgot that part.

ddr 01-13-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J____ (Post 7263992)

thnx. i understand the concept and idea behind color calibration. but these things aren't wireless afaik so i was curious how u'd do it on a monitor, tv or not, that's hooked up far away from the computer.

J____ 01-13-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N.V.M. (Post 7264026)

just tried it for dual now. It works. Got the color close but had to manually adjust a bit because my 2 monitors were different. In the end the wide gamut had more contrast and color was more vibrant, but i was able to get 2 different monitors to be pretty close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddr (Post 7264254)
thnx. i understand the concept and idea behind color calibration. but these things aren't wireless afaik so i was curious how u'd do it on a monitor, tv or not, that's hooked up far away from the computer.

you'll have run a long usb extension

N.V.M. 01-14-2011 02:33 PM

i have 14 days to return it...

http://www.members.shaw.ca/northvanm...20g/spyder.JPG