REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #26
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Hheidi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 85
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Watch no strings attached then ask her to be sex friends

Hheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-21-2011, 03:35 AM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Timpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 20,379
Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,368 Posts
a guy and girl can never be just "good friends" or "best friends" eventually one for fall for the other
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #28
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
November's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 370
Thanked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
a guy and girl can never be just "good friends" or "best friends" eventually one for fall for the other
I disagree. I'm a girl and I have a very meaningful friendship with a guy. I am soo unattracted to him and he has lots of female friends other than myself that he has the same relationship with. He has never shown any signs of interest in me and vice versa, but we know that we can depend on each other to help when we need it. (I.e. Waking up early to pick him up from the drunk tank, or if I'm stranded @ sfu for example, he would drive from richmond just to pick me up).

I also have a boyfriend who is also my best friend. We started dating each other as strangers. I really knew nothing about him but we were really attracted to each other so that worked out. There was a lot of turmoil in the beginning when we were finding things out about each other that we disliked, but 3 yrs later, were quite stable + best friends. Oh, and he's completely comfortable with me + my guy friend's relationship cause he's seen us together and trusts me.

Like one poster said, there is no definate black/white answer. It really depends on your personalities and what you're comfortable with. Some people that are more introverted might prefer to be best friends before dating just because that's the way they are. Nobody here who is telling you 'absolutely have to be best friends first' or 'once you're in the friendzone, you're there forever' really knows what they're talking about.
Posted via RS Mobile
November is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #29
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
boibuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Surrey
Posts: 935
Thanked 188 Times in 82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
If you wanted her, and could've HAD her, you would've done it. But you couldn't that's why you didn't.
We were watching a movie, then she crossed the "line" and this lead to... As stated earlier by 6793026, it's just like flipping a hamburger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
BTW, is that how you look at it to justify your non-pursuit? relationships to you is about "breaking the other person." Therefore its not something you wish to subject a good friend/good person to it.

c'mon dude... let's cut the BS.
I'm not perfect, my wandering ways have lead to trouble in the past so I am avoiding anything resembling a relationship. I do have a bit of a conscience and I choose not to potentially hurt someone I care about.

I see that the relationship forum is your kingdom, your niche Noir. I am not the puppy you assume though; I hope you see the metaphor there.



Back on topic. OP, look at yourself closely and only you can decide if you should pursue a relationship. If you were matchmaking friends, would you RECOMMEND YOURSELF to date your friend? I've cheated before and there's a possibility that I would re-offend; I wouldn't recommend myself to my best friend.
__________________
My Feedback (9-0-0)

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #30
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,747
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boibuddha View Post
I'm not perfect, my wandering ways have lead to trouble in the past so I am avoiding anything resembling a relationship. I do have a bit of a conscience and I choose not to potentially hurt someone I care about.
So the only people worthy of your relationship are those who you could care less about hurting? And those who you have great care for and are of good standing with you aren't deserving of your relationship because of your "nature" as a guy?

You know how I can tell how this is just a justification? Because I can poke holes in your logic all day long.

And you know why it's a justification? Because eventually you'll lose her anyways EVEN as a "friend" as her life progresses (whether it be her finding a serious relationship; marriage, or having to relocate for work, etc.)

If this person is really "that" special enough for you to sacrifice your personal wants for the sake of longevity with this person; then there's really nothing more "forever" than marriage is there? Unless she's not that special to warrant that; but if that's the case, if she's not that special, then why would she qualify under your personal rules of "too special to risk relationship with"?


see? Keep going because this is really entertaining for me.



Quote:
Originally Posted by boibuddha View Post
I see that the relationship forum is your kingdom, your niche Noir. I am not the puppy you assume though; I hope you see the metaphor there.
It is actually, because not a lot of people here can tell it just how it is. That's why you see guys like V.Rossi or 6793026 can just come in, say their 2 cents and pretty much end the thread with that.




Anyways, back to the OP as well, as not to completely derail and to continue contribution:


It is doable as long as she does find you attractive. But based on my experiences, the question isn't about that but moreso:

"If a friend of mine does not find me attractive and the best my white-knight act can get me now is "best friends", will the longevity of the white-knight act eventually add up to physical attraction?

The answer depends on what kind of girl. For girls ranked 8 to perfect 10, most likely not. For girls ranked 1 to 5 = more likely; For girls ranked 6 & 7 it's hard to say, 50/50 maybe?

It's not an exact science but it's a jist.

Last edited by Noir; 01-22-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #31
The Lone Wanderator
 
Graeme S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 12,089
Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
The question of whether or not it's possible is all relative to what kind of relationship you want.

Most of the people who say no are advocates of the 'chase' relationship; the idea that all relationships are formed out of a natural and constantly changing imbalance where each side deliberately withholds something that the other side wants/needs in order to keep this person's attention.

The others seem to be advocates of the 'interdependency' relationships; where two peoples lives need not be separated, and absolutely everything is out in the open and 'ours'.

I know more people in the chase school of thought (myself included), so thinking in any other way is tough for me. Some people are just not comfortable becoming intimate with someone before being friends with or getting to know them through others. Others feel that dating a very good friend is almost a violation of the pseudo-family intimacy that friendship introduces.

If there is one thing I have learned, it is that men are more likely to date a friend than women--for much the same reason as a man is likely to cheat, have a one-night-stand, or do anything else of a similar nature: Men are simply less likely to say 'No'.


For women, socially speaking in a general sense, they have been taught that intimacy (both physical and mental) is something to be spent and built sparingly, that women who spread themselves too widely find themselves spread not at all in the end (if you'll pardon the wordplay). As a result, if a woman suggests some type of liaison, regardless of the man's prior inclinations (assuming a neutral-to-positive mindset) the man is quite likely to say yes.



Long story short: what men want, they only get when the women agree. What woman want, they usually get.
Posted via RS Mobile
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #32
The sound of inevitability
 
The7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,490
Thanked 682 Times in 244 Posts
I'm engaged to my best friend of 20 years.
__________________

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa


mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #33
Director of RS Cares
 
miss_crayon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Crayon Box
Posts: 5,173
Thanked 600 Times in 281 Posts
My parents met when they were children (mom was..6? 8?) and growing up my dad always had a crush on her. They were friendS but my mom never really saw him that way until they both moved to canada for uni. My mom got married when she was 23 so...it took awhile considering he started chasing her when they were in their teens. It's possible to have your bff into your gf/bf/life partner but it can take time for that transition.
Posted via RS Mobile
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #34
'
 
insomniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,657
Thanked 6,540 Times in 1,106 Posts
Didn't work out for me
Still best friends afterwards but started getting awkward and we only talk a few times a month now
Posted via RS Mobile
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #35
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 297
Thanked 161 Times in 29 Posts
But don't u guys find it weird to be treating them as a friend to being more intimate?
__________________
When life gets heavy, lift weights.
Lolkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #36
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,747
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolkai View Post
But don't u guys find it weird to be treating them as a friend to being more intimate?
No.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #37
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Supafly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VanCity/HCMC/HK
Posts: 4,760
Thanked 694 Times in 235 Posts
My ex-gf bestfriend tried to make his move after 8 months......she declined his ass after he bought her a bunch of material things to try and wooo her.....she turned him down then told me....I LOL'D....and this guy seems to like to go after all my ex gfs after I've dated them for a few years....
__________________
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #38
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Surrey
Posts: 377
Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Most movies and relationships begin like this. Girl tells boy all her secrets, boy likes girl. Girl likes boy. They go on being bestfriends until one of them confesses, sometimes nobody confesses and none of them know what's going, then they give up hope and lose feelings while the other ones still hanging on.
mkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #39
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Infiniti
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
My ex-gf bestfriend tried to make his move after 8 months......she declined his ass after he bought her a bunch of material things to try and wooo her.....she turned him down then told me....I LOL'D....and this guy seems to like to go after all my ex gfs after I've dated them for a few years....
cause you supafly what can you do hahah
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:10 AM   #40
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Infiniti
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
. DP
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net