REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #51
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
None of you guys remember what I posted up in the original thread before it was deleted?

I linked to two past articles where this EXACT same thing happened.

Basically any shady person running a "towing service" can go steal cars with little fear, because even in a case where they get "caught" and identified, they just claim that someone saying they were the owner told them to tow it someplace.

Case #1: http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13712

Quote:
I ran to the security office to ask around and a guard told me that he saw it getting towed out of the stall and out of the bcit parking lot , 45 minuites earlier. I called the tow truck company that he saw take my bike away MUNDYS TOWING and they told me this,,,,,"A GUY CALLED AND SAID HE LOST HIS KEYS TO HIS BIKE AND HE NEEDED IT TOWED". I then said,,"DID YOU NOT ASK FOR I.D. YOU JERK OFF,,,THAT WAS MY FU*KIN BIKE YOU PRICK.". And i called the cops to report it. The COP finaly came a half hour later and we then proceded to drive to the location of the drop off. 5 minuites before we got there,,,aparently the jack ass who got the bike towed called again to get it moved again ("so they say"). But MUNDYS TOWING informed him that it was now a stolen bike and the cops were on there way. OBVIOUSLY the thieve didn't stick around to welcome myself and the cop to where he had the bike droped off. We got there and my precious baby was standing there in the sunshine untouched with the disc lock still on it.
Case #2: http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...d-495a131b679a

Quote:
It was gone.

"So I canvassed the neighbourhood," Rick said, "and one of the neighbours said she had seen a red tow truck towing it away, and she remembered the first three or four digits of the company's phone number on the side of the truck."

Rick recognized the phone number. He had once worked for a car company, and it had used the towing company's services regularly.

It was Mundie's Towing, Storage and Service Ltd. Rick phoned Mundie's. He asked them if they had towed his car away. They said, yes, as per the instructions of the car's owner.

Well, Rick told them, he was the car's owner and he hadn't told anybody to tow it away.

Where, he asked, had they towed it?

To an address in Surrey, Rick was told, as per the instructions of the, um, owner.
So in this case, they did in fact sue the towing company...

Quote:
So, Rick said, he and his father approached Mundie's for compensation. Between labour estimates and receipts for parts, they estimate the worth of the car to be anywhere between $35,000 and $38,000.

And what, Rick was asked, did Mundie's offer in return?

"They had offered us," Rick said, "what I'm going to say is an unreasonable amount. That's when I decided we had to go before a judge."

The Charbonneaus filed their notice of claim on April 27, 2006, and framed their cause of action under "conversion" -- which, if Wikipedia has got it right, is "where defendant's unjustified wilful interference with the chattel" (that is, property) "deprives plaintiff of possession of such chattel."

In other words, the Charbonneaus were saying, Mundie's interfered with their property by towing away their Beaumont.

A civil matter, it went before Provincial Court Judge Thomas Woods in New Westminster in July of this year. The case, to a great degree, centred around the question of conversion.

On Aug. 21, Judge Woods rendered his decision, in which he described the person who instructed Mundie's to tow the car away as "a rogue."

"The rogue's identity is not known and the vehicle has never been recovered," Woods wrote.

To distill Woods's dense (and, to me, headache-inducing) disquisition on conversion and the case law informing it, he sides with the Charbonneaus.

"Counsel," Woods wrote in his decision, "may contact the registry with a view to arranging a date for continuation of the trial of this matter for the purpose of addressing any issues that have not already been addressed in these reasons."

In light of the judge's decision, Rick hopes that the case can be settled before it goes back to small claims court. Since it is small claims, the most he and his father can get in compensation is $25,000.
Once you mentioned that a towing truck had taken your car, this immediately came to mind... I knew I remembered hearing about towing trucks stealing cars before.

Good luck.
Advertisement
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #52
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
^ w0w that is brutal
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #53
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ob View Post
How do you know him and from where did you get his contact information?
he came by handing out business cards to shops when i was still working at cannonball in new west. we used him quite a few times to help bail out customers when they had trouble with their cars to bring to our shop or even helped us in transporting cars to and from places for work. his prices are pretty good compared other big name towing companies such as drake or busters and such. Like the OP said, he's the o/o of the truck and that's all he does for work so he'll take any job if he can do it. No matter what time it is, if he picks up, good chance he's up for hire.
Jun_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #54
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Just as an experiment, I might call Mundie's towing and see if they'll tow a car with no I.D., proof of ownership, keys or cash in hand..
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #55
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
^ - video tape that shit.

yeah he's handing out business cards to legit company's for work to make it like he's making "Clean money" then working with Car theft's on part time.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #56
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun_Y View Post
he came by handing out business cards to shops when i was still working at cannonball in new west. we used him quite a few times to help bail out customers when they had trouble with their cars to bring to our shop or even helped us in transporting cars to and from places for work. his prices are pretty good compared other big name towing companies such as drake or busters and such. Like the OP said, he's the o/o of the truck and that's all he does for work so he'll take any job if he can do it. No matter what time it is, if he picks up, good chance he's up for hire.
I'm calling bullshit on this one. You're defending the guy way too much when your facts are skewed.

He hands out cards does he... Is that the only avenue of advertising the guy sources? Sounds fishy; him and you.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-23-2011, 12:33 AM   #57
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

dude why do u always park your car there, I always see it.
izzue.hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #58
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
I'm calling bullshit on this one. You're defending the guy way too much when your facts are skewed.

He hands out cards does he... Is that the only avenue of advertising the guy sources? Sounds fishy; him and you.
Handing out cards to shops is no way fishy... and independent owner operators are understandably cheaper than the big towing companies.
Just like in a ground level office, you always have random independent sub-contractors advertising their services from door to door - be it welders looking for work or experienced drafters and CAD detailers.

Last edited by CP.AR; 01-23-2011 at 01:42 AM.
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:34 AM   #59
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post

well i'm not going to waste my time trying to tell you off through this forum cuz its not only off topic but also pointless and you're hiding behind a damn computer saying this making you a fucking pussy.

i'm not defending the guy in any means as im saying i've just dealt with him on more occasions than once. The guy has gone through most of the lower mainland handing out his cars to mainly shops not to the general public as my other colleagues and acquaintances know of or used his services in the past. Some of these ppl are shop owners that some of you have visited via this forum or other.

Be it he's a crook or just plain stupid, evidence will prevail if he is guilty of this act.

my personal opinion is that he IS stupid enough to be gullable to do this.
Jun_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #60
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
MWR34, I suggest you contact a lawyer and reference the above-mentioned case as a precedent to what has happened to you.

I can't say for sure whether the owner/operator of the tow truck is implicated in the scheme, however, he has to be held liable for his negligence in towing a vehicle without sufficient paperwork.

If not, I forsee this situation happening again. Collect as much information as possible. Contact a lawyer and perhaps involve ICBC as I'm sure this situation would be of interest to them.

And finally, I would avoid making comments or posting photos of the tow truck operator until you have consulted a lawyer.

Still hoping you recover your car.

Kev
Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 AM   #61
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
while i do hope you get your car back

chances are its already on its way to jamaica or africa
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #62
Need my Daily Fix of RS

sorry but i dont trust black people. just being honest.
turb0fr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #63
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Like i told you clowns I've had cars towed all the time without any proof of ownership. The only time they ask for ID is if you pay in credit card. You pay cash and your good. Hell they've even helped me pushed cars into my garage which has a hoist in it... I mean it could actually look like a chopshop haha.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #64
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
Like i told you clowns I've had cars towed all the time without any proof of ownership. The only time they ask for ID is if you pay in credit card. You pay cash and your good. Hell they've even helped me pushed cars into my garage which has a hoist in it... I mean it could actually look like a chopshop haha.

I've never once been asked for ID or proof of ownership either and also had cars towed to my garage that does NOT look like a legit shop. Kinda scary now that I think about it! lol
Mind you I've always used legit companies and not individually owned trucks. I have been with my car's during all the tows both pick up and drop off however. I've never called and instructed from the phone without dealing with the tow truck driver.

Berz out.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #65
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
"Hi Prince Nkulu towing?

I've got a Gallardo parked @ my friends house by Whytecliff Park could you tow it to my garage by Oppenheimer Park for me?

I can't pass you my keys atm because we're up in Whistler just leave it on the side of the road and i'll deal with it and pay you when i get back.

Okay? sweet"

yeah... no there should be some sort of regulation for towing services so scum can't get away with this bs
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #66
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
now imagine none of the locksmiths ever ask you for ID when they help you break the lock to "your house" because you lost them
Old 01-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #67
Kick' In' Duh' Bass

Thanked 1,692 Times in 405 Posts
The idea of calling up and tow truck company and them towing any car without much questions asked really bothers me... This literally means you can jack any car you want without consequences... Fuck that!!!

> 2005 Acura TSX ASPEC <
> 2003 Acura RSX-S <
> 1994 Acura Intergra LS <
> 1994 Honda Civic SI <
> 1991 Acura Integra GS < ( RIP )
-EuroRSN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #68
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
if you were a tow truck driver, all you do is drive somewhere, place a call from a payphone to your own cell, tow the car and tell the cops that the payphone number was the number the "client" called you from to tow his car
Old 01-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #69
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
^ Pretty sure they can track payphones lol, there should be surviallances around and do remember having payphones having conversations saved
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #70
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
while i do hope you get your car back

chances are its already on its way to jamaica or africa
Probably to Nigeria actually, where a prince awaits
Posted via RS Mobile
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #71
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
if you were a tow truck driver, all you do is drive somewhere, place a call from a payphone to your own cell, tow the car and tell the cops that the payphone number was the number the "client" called you from to tow his car
You sound like you have experience with this lol...
Xavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #72
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
For what it's worth, out of probably two dozen times I've had a car towed, I've only been asked for ID once. Tow truck drivers rarely bother verifying you're the actual owner of the car. Then again, sometimes you can't actually verify you have the right to have the car towed because 1) you aren't the registered owner of the car, or, 2) you're unable to produce the registration slip because it's locked inside the car along with your keys.
Posted via RS Mobile
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #73
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

^true. I was never id"ed and never had to show my papers when i got my car towed from Langley to Surrey. took the car off the truck, paid cash and he left
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #74
Banned (ABWS)

yeah, i have never been asked for id even when they are unlocking the car for me...

and the o/o drivers just care about getting paid.

lucky for me i have found a reilable/cheap flatdeck driver 50$ for 20 km tows FTW
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #75
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
^^ Is he black and Drive a Hino? lol

Berz out.