REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   blown fuse = VI and ticket? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/635815-blown-fuse-%3D-vi-ticket.html)

manaf 01-23-2011 01:52 PM

blown fuse = VI and ticket?

so It was 11:30 pm and I was driving home from work on kingsway (cop deathtrap) and i got pulled over , honestly not knowing whats wrong he tells me my parking lights arent on and only turn on when i break so he tells me i cant move my car and will have to get it towed and gave me a Vehicle inspection a nd a ticket of defective vehicle =[ when in front of the cop told him it was just a fuse that must have went and had no idea about it cause my headlights were on and replaced the fuse and it worked

now im need to dispute my ticket and im pretty sure
my car is going to fail VI just cause of the mods i have on it anyone recommend a place i can go to? for a easy VI or a way to get through it without ripping out hundreds of dollars of mods thanks

Soundy 01-23-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

now im need to dispute my ticket and im pretty sure
my car is going to fail VI just cause of the mods i have on it anyone recommend a place i can go to? for a easy VI or a way to get through it without ripping out hundreds of dollars of mods thanks
Yes, I'd love to see someone post the names of some shops that will give you an easy pass... I'm sure the resident cops would be happy to follow that up by reporting them to the relevant authorities :D

You really posted this in the Police Forum? REALLY? You DO realize that there are several cops (both active and retired) who participate here, right?

:noob: :noob: :noob: :noob: :noob:

netfreak 01-23-2011 02:25 PM

I got nabbed for this once around midnight around 250km from home. Since I'm very polite he let me park at the gas station and fix it with no tickets. Quite simply you need to pay more attention to these things.

Soundy 01-23-2011 02:49 PM

Somehow, I don't think the lights being out were the sole reason for the OP getting a VI... something tells me some of these other illegal mods he's concerned about were pretty obvious to the cop as well... probably including the lights themselves.

optiblue 01-23-2011 03:02 PM

I wouldn't bother disputing something that you were totally at fault. Just take it as a lesson to check your lights more often and that's that!

BallPeenHammer2 01-23-2011 03:06 PM

^ The lights could have gone out mid-drive. disputing the bulbs out ticket is pretty easy.

I'm sure the VI's for the mods.

Nechako87 01-23-2011 03:12 PM

This happened to me in victoria

I explained to the cop why my parking lights weren't on, and he let me go on with my night. Obviously i fixed it right away.

Soundy 01-23-2011 03:59 PM

^This is what leads me to think the OP got the VI for more than just the lights being out, especially if he changed the fuse on the spot and got the lights working again.

Chances are he wouldn't have been pulled over in the first place if they'd been working, but once he was nailed, the cop would have paid more attention to the other mods. And again, there's a good chance some of those illegal mods INCLUDED the lights (non-approved fixtures, improper or missing reflectors, etc.).

That's just a guess, of course, but looking at the OP's other posts, looks like he's been going nuts with random bolt-ons...

skidmark 01-23-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7276335)
You really posted this in the Police Forum? REALLY? You DO realize that there are several cops (both active and retired) who participate here, right?

Give him a break! He obviously didn't read the stickies before posting.....:lol

manaf 01-23-2011 10:04 PM

no wasn't for the mods at all on the VI it highlighted lights only which are stock but was not my fault at all i would be replacing that asap if i knew not hard to change a fuse , i did nothing wrong no speeding and asked him politely just going to be bullshit that im going to take off mods just to pass for a fuse

manaf 01-23-2011 10:06 PM

and only thing modded on the visible point is dropped and type r lip kit with rims nothing flashy

MindBomber 01-23-2011 10:29 PM

Just out of curiosity what mods do you have?

I always carry a bag of spare fuses in my glove box just in case one blows, a situation like this is the perfect example why.

baggdis300 01-23-2011 10:55 PM

if its jsut a lip kit and a drop you should have ZERO problems passing.

put on stock rims and it should have zero issues

unless of course your car is a hackjob deathtrap then i hope it gets removed from our public roads before it hurts/kills somebody

manaf 01-24-2011 01:14 PM

uhm i replaced the fuse in front of the cop.. always have spares , just dont got day time running lights.. cause its from the states thats why i think im going to fail the test

gars 01-24-2011 01:27 PM

Your car should have been brought up to standards when it was sold/registered/imported here. Not sure how you got past that in the first place.

MindBomber 01-24-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaf (Post 7277589)
uhm i replaced the fuse in front of the cop.. always have spares , just dont got day time running lights.. cause its from the states thats why i think im going to fail the test

Well thats why you failed and got a VI then, all vehicles in Canada require DRL.

Soundy 01-24-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaf (Post 7277589)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7277607)
Your car should have been brought up to standards when it was sold/registered/imported here. Not sure how you got past that in the first place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7277616)
Well thats why you failed and got a VI then, all vehicles in Canada require DRL.

What they all said: without DRLs, your car should never have passed inspection when you imported it, and you shouldn't have been able to register and insure it without passing that inspection.

So... now you'll have to enable your DRLs. You shouldn't have to remove any of your mods unless they're causing other problems. Basically, all this has done, is delay what you should have done in the first place.

Phil@rise 01-24-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7277616)

Not all cars
Only cars from early 90's up (the exact year I'm unsure)

gars 01-24-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 7277715)
Not all cars
Only cars from early 90's up (the exact year I'm unsure)

If his car was imported from the states AFTER Jan 1st 1990, it will have to have DRL. I'm going by the assumption that he didn't import it 20 years ago.

edit - That's what Wikipedia says... don't blame me if it's wrong...

jlenko 01-24-2011 03:41 PM

If your car is blowing fuses for essential things (such as lights) as you're driving around... it's obviously a POS that doesn't belong on the road. Sounds like the VI is deserved in this instance.

I don't see the cops pulling people in regular cars over and giving VI's, simply for not having their lights turned on. Think of all those C-lai's in cars with lit-up dash boards but no exterior lights... they have no idea how to turn the lights on.

(Kudos to GM for having auto lights on everything.. even a base model Cobalt..)

gars 01-24-2011 03:58 PM

I like how Honda/Acura's have that dim blue indicator that you see when you DRL's are on. I think that's a good subtle way of reminding the driver that you need to turn your headlights on. I think auto lights will be great when every car has it. Until then - drivers who are used to it will be spoiled and forget when they drive another car.

wing_woo 01-24-2011 04:03 PM

Well, I find most of the new cars have the dash and gauge cluster light up once you turn it on. Although it looks nice, I think it's one of the worst things the manufacturers could have thought up. At least in the past, at night, you look down and can't see your speed and you know right away you forgot your lights. Now, you can't use that trick. I see so many people in newer cars not turn on their lights cause they have no problem seeing the speedometer so they don't notice their lights aren't on (and I guess they never touch their climate control buttons or radio buttons at night either).

Soundy 01-24-2011 04:09 PM

I've made it a habit the last while to pay attention to cars driving around with their other-than-headlights off at night, largely because the arguments against DRLs inevitably turn to blaming them for people forgetting to turn on their other lighting at night.

Funny thing... the number of cars I see with no lights on that DON'T have DRLs, are almost the same as the number that DO.

In other words: oblivious idiots will still be oblivious idiots whether their cars have DRLs or not.

sebberry 01-25-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 7277774)

I think that's more of a problem than a good thing. If you're too stupid to turn your lights on when required then what does that say about your other driving habits?

manaf 01-25-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 7277774)
If your car is blowing fuses for essential things (such as lights) as you're driving around... it's obviously a POS that doesn't belong on the road. Sounds like the VI is deserved in this instance.

I don't see the cops pulling people in regular cars over and giving VI's, simply for not having their lights turned on. Think of all those C-lai's in cars with lit-up dash boards but no exterior lights... they have no idea how to turn the lights on.

so if one of my headlights bulb goes out , or a wire gets damaged i need to go for a whole vehicle inspection? like anything could have happened i think it shouldnt be giving a ticket and on top get my car inspected all over its a 2002 and fairly new , like i said anything can happen as if it is safe for the road? yes never a problem passes air care while other ppl are driving shot down rust buckets with hundreds of more problems, i just think when they see a nice car with a N on the back they stop him, like it was 11 30 pm on my way from work and a student just to try to pay for insurance and gas and they completely just make it harder, i dont know i prob shouldn't have made this thread was just really mad, how you work so hard for something and u just get in more shit