REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   Macbook thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/635928-macbook-thread.html)

LC21 01-24-2011 06:06 PM

Macbook thread

Can't find a macbook thread, so decided to make this thread.

Who has the current macbook pro that last 10hrs?

DISCUSS!

Kim Jong Un 01-24-2011 06:06 PM

I love art.

JKam 01-24-2011 06:12 PM

I like coffee shops.

Kim Jong Un 01-24-2011 06:15 PM

I wear skinny jeans and I stretch my ears.

LC21 01-24-2011 06:39 PM

I love art and skinny jeans. Dam.

!Aznboi128 01-24-2011 06:42 PM

I got a 13 and 15 mbp.... it dont last 10 hours maybe 8 but def not 10, that being said the iPad last a long ass time

LC21 01-24-2011 08:28 PM

Damn 8hrs is pretty long, this is just with regular use right? Nothing too demanding?

ilvtofu 01-24-2011 08:32 PM

Yeah I have the 13" and it lasts me at least 7 hours on wifi sometimes bluetooth without trying to save energy. (ie. Playing tetris battle, restaurant city, etc.) 10 hours is certainly doable though.

LookHere_Sucka 01-24-2011 08:33 PM

Don't get a MacBook unless you're willing to spend extra cash on a MacBook Pro. I got the MacBook5,1 and let me tell you, it's not worth it. The battery lasts 3 hours and 45 minutes when it's fully charged, with regular use. Also needs a labtop cooler or else you'll find yourself cooking an egg on that thing (sarcasm). There's a lot of other problems too but I'm just a noob when it comes to electronics. I'm a picky consumer. :alone:

Kim Jong Un 01-24-2011 08:34 PM

I get the same amount of hours with heavy use. Mainly because I turn down the brightness and the back lit keyboard when it is not needed.

............And yes my MacBook Pro fry eggs too. :fullofwin:

EDawg 01-24-2011 08:34 PM

i have a 11in macbook air that i use for school

battery life is great, never had to bring a charger :fullofwin:

Kim Jong Un 01-24-2011 08:41 PM

I think that Apple did a great job on the heat thing. Great for warming up your laps, suitable for Calgary weather. :fullofwin:

Not really racist! 01-24-2011 08:45 PM

Since I'm completely ignorant and clueless about macbooks, who wants to explain to me why they are superior versus PCs.

I'm under the impression that its for video / graphic editing but then again I know a dozen people who do none of this lol

Kim Jong Un 01-24-2011 08:48 PM

Because they're shiny and they're aluminum. Oh and it's hipster to rock one. :fullofwin:

trancehead 01-24-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwen (Post 7278009)
I love art.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKam (Post 7278020)
I like coffee shops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwen (Post 7278024)
I wear skinny jeans and I stretch my ears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC21 (Post 7278093)
I love art and skinny jeans. Dam.

damn art loving, coffee drinking, skinny jean wearing, ear stretching hipsters

http://hipsterhitler.com/?webcomic_o...ost/988/full/0

back on topic...
id LOVE to get one...to potentially dev an iPad app

ilvtofu 01-24-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not really racist! (Post 7278277)
Since I'm completely ignorant and clueless about macbooks, who wants to explain to me why they are superior versus PCs.

I'm under the impression that its for video / graphic editing but then again I know a dozen people who do none of this lol

TBH I don't know what the whole editing/photoshop thing is about, seriously what's the difference to using the same programs on Windows?

I just find my mac stays organized a lot better, also there aren't many PC Laptops you can get that are this well built. Also they are pretty quiet. I don't think you notice the advantages until you use them in tandem with PCs. It keeps things simple overall though, I just had telus setup the internet at home with optik and first 2 weeks all the PCs (about 4 laptops) were losing the connection with the router, some reason my imac and mbp stayed connected the whole time. Neither has EVER become disconnected in the last 2 and a half years.

Startup time is also great, my imac takes about 10-15 secs to startup and maybe 25s to start RS'ing, I have similarly spec'ed windows 7 laptops that are nowhere near as fast.

TBH It's probably not worth it but it's definitely not the worst way to spend your money. On paper they are generally garbage though, except for the battery life which is really staggering and the main reason I went with the macbook pro because I do spend a lot of time at school now and I really don't want to carry a charger, the laptop alone is heavy enough.

Kim Jong Un 01-24-2011 09:41 PM

Because the colors on the Apple monitors are more accurate.

LC21 01-24-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwen (Post 7278396)

I believe this is the key point why photographers and video editors buy macs.

Cool, i should become a photographer now.:woot2:

ScizzMoney 01-24-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

This used to be the case. Apparently now with Windows 7 it's a tie. That's what I was told, I have no clue what Windows 7 has to do with color etc. Just going off my photographer buddy's saying.

LookHere_Sucka 01-24-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Macbooks have a lot more features and are generally more "stylish" haha. People also look on in jealousy as you take out your sexy labtop. I got one because I guess it's noob friendly and there are a lot of features that can be used. Command+N, Command+M for when you get caught by surprise. I just like the general look of it better.

Oh yeah, be sure to wipe down your screen once in a while, I got spots of unidentified stains on my screen.

Not really racist! 01-24-2011 10:23 PM

So am I supposed to assume the lowest model available is substantial for everyday use, surfing RS + doing homework / running programs?

its only an intel core duo... but like you guys said they don't look awesome on paper..

Senna4ever 01-24-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

I think this comes down to several things:

1) Mac OSX Snow Leopard. I used to be such a Windows lover - I first started using Windows 3.1, then 95, 98, XP & 7. My only experience with Mac OS was with OS System 9 several years ago, which by general consensus sucked. Then I decided to buy a 3.06 Ghz 17" Macbook Pro that had Snow Leopard installed. I must say that it is SO much easier to use than Windows which to me now seems very clunky.

2) Quality & Design. Apple was the only manufacturer that made a 17" laptop that I felt comfortable carrying around with me everyday. It's much more light and thin compared to other 17" PC's on the market....and I think it looks great. The chassis is stiff as hell, without any of the flexing & creaking of the plastic PC laptops. Yes you pay a big premium for all this, but I personally think it's worth it.

3) Battery life. With the integrated graphics turned off, I have no worries about the battery dying on me at work. With the screen turned down a bit, the battery will last 6-7 hours of productivity. 4-5 hours with the screen turned up to full. About 1.5-2 hours of WoW time with dedicated graphics turned on and screen brightness full.

4) Screen. The screen of Macbook Pros have a very wide colour gamut. This means that the screens are capable of displaying more colours and tones compared to a regular laptop screen. The top end HP & Sony laptop screens have similar quality...BUT only the Macbook Pro has the option of a matte finish.

5) Software. For many years, pro level graphics & video software was only available on the Mac. This has changed with the notable exception of Final Cut Pro, which is still only available on the Mac platform.

Quote:

Not necessarily more accurate, but just capable of displaying more colours.

Senna4ever 01-24-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScizzMoney (Post 7278452)
This used to be the case. Apparently now with Windows 7 it's a tie. That's what I was told, I have no clue what Windows 7 has to do with color etc. Just going off my photographer buddy's saying.

Yes & no. Windows7 as was Vista and XP is capable of displaying the same colours as OSX. It's the hardware that was the problem. Macbooks had screens that displayed a higher colour gamut compared to PC's as standard. High end laptops from HP, Sony & Lenovo now have screens with equal capabilities.

mrks 01-25-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not really racist! (Post 7278478)
So am I supposed to assume the lowest model available is substantial for everyday use, surfing RS + doing homework / running programs?

its only an intel core duo... but like you guys said they don't look awesome on paper..

The minimum I would buy is a MacBook Pro, the aluminum one, which has most of the features everyone is talking about.

IMO, the white MacBook is not a good buy.

Senna4ever 01-25-2011 11:29 AM

I agree. I would spend the extra $200 or so and get the MBP 13" - you get better graphics, a better screen and a sexy aluminum chassis.
Posted via RS Mobile