REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:59 AM   #51
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Ugh...having a gout attack since last night 10pm. First time in 3 years. Very painful as of now.

flipkronikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #52
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I feel for you man.
Drink lots of water, eat cherries and pineapple, and hit those pain meds hard.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #53
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Yea man I ended up seeing a podiatrist and put me in a boot for a while. Still recovering from my latest attack.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #54
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Yup. Still recovering from my attack. 6 days now. Took 100mg indomethacin yesterday but none today. Blood work says uric acid is high.
flipkronikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #55

Got another attack had a very minor flare up a few months ago but I took off the shelf naporxen which seemed to help.

Went to the doctor today and got prescribed some Vimovo again.

Also recommended using daily meds to keep my uric avid levels down. Anyone have experience with Allopurinol?
Old 07-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #56
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
Got another attack had a very minor flare up a few months ago but I took off the shelf naporxen which seemed to help.

Also recommended using daily meds to keep my uric avid levels down. Anyone have experience with Allopurinol?
I've had to use Allopurinol for a bit after my last attack. It doesn't prevent an outright attack, but it bring uric acid down enough to ward off spikes. If I know I'm going to be in a situation where I may run into an increase (ie. free "order what you want" steak and lobster dinner at The Keg a couple of weeks ago), I took it for a day just in case, and had some Naproxen as well.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #57
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post

I'm on Allopurinal and have been on it for about 4 months now. I take 1 200mg pill in the morning with no side fx so far! It's like what Cornering said with it just lowering uric acid, but it could surprisingly also cause an attack when initially taking it, lol.

I used to take Indomethacin for attacks, but it suddenly made me pretty sick so I couldn't take it anymore. Cochicine is my go to med now for when attacks happen, and it has done wonders for when it has happened. You should inquire about them with the doc.
Dasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #58
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,298 Times in 955 Posts
Side track, I see my rheumatologist every 6 months now (while I don't have gout, my sickness it falls under the rheumatology also).

I have tried Cochicine, didn't work. I am now on azathioprine for 2 yrs now.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #59

Thanked 2,905 Times in 752 Posts
just had an attack 2 weeks ago...this is how i fought it with success.

June 21 - 8pm - severe swelling, pain in my big toe / right foot. unbearable.

June 22 - woke up to full on gout attack. drank 10 glasses of water.

June 23 - gout attack still on - calmed it a bit via ADVIL pain killers. drank 10 glasses of water. put ice on the toe.

June 24 - gout attack still on - purchased a huge bag of cherries - ate about 40 a day - drank 10 glasses of water.

June 25 - ate another 40 cherries, drank 10 glasses of water - gout attack still on. more ice on the toe.

June 26 - continued usage of ADVIL on days when pain was unbearable - drank 10 glasses of water and about 20 cherries

June 27 - gout attack slowly decreasing - swelling and pain in toe almost gone. drank 10 glasses of water

June 28 - GOUT attack OVER - full mobility, no problems no pain.

So.. a week of agony vs on average, 3 weeks..i'll take that! i did not go see a doctor but at the end of the day, I know my body can tell me quickly to stop eating shit that will lead to another attack- so i'm careful... and will continue the 10 glasses of water everyday. YES i peed alot..but thats a good thing.

Last edited by Acura604; 07-07-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #60
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
do you guys not drink 10+ glasses of water on a regular day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #61

Thanked 2,905 Times in 752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
do you guys not drink 10+ glasses of water on a regular day?
in my typical office environment, then at home chillin'...honestly, i'm damn lazy to do so.. and i should!
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #62

I haven't started my allopurinol yet because I've been reading and a lot of the resources that have come up say that it's likely an attack will occur once I start. Since it's going to be breaking down the crystals already in my system.

I also try to drink as much water as possible, even got a soda stream to change it up lol.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #63
I STILL don't get it

Hi guys,

Blood work says uric acid is high - I got prescribed Allopurinol as a preventative. I bought it but not taking it rn because I've been giving my liver a rest for over a year now (trying to heal my liver).

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with gout in the hip? Where on your body do you usually get your gout attacks?
I've noticed my hips have gotten super tight, and have some moments during the month where my left hip is more painful than usual. I do a lot of hip stretches/hip opener poses and I started working on hip strengthening exercises at the gym. Also have episodes where my knees are sore but I think it's due to a past hiking injury... I usually feel the soreness before it rains.

Thanks in advance
MSREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #64
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

My uric acid used to be slightly higher than normal. Not nearly high enough that will cause gout, though.

From what I know, gout usually happens around joints, mainly fingers and toes, as well as knees.

Like mentioned, don't eat beans or seafood, and less meat. Drink more water.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:37 AM   #65
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
My uric acid used to be slightly higher than normal. Not nearly high enough that will cause gout, though.

From what I know, gout usually happens around joints, mainly fingers and toes, as well as knees.

Like mentioned, don't eat beans or seafood, and less meat. Drink more water.
Yeah, my doc said I don't have gout as of right now so I still have time to lower it naturally... I've been using spirulina/chlorella powder so far and things are looking good minus the odd times my hip gets messed up lol. I eat fairly healthy regularly as Im allergic to meat/shellfish and drink about 4-6L of water a day. Looking into raw organic celery juicing .. I've read it does wonders if you take 16 Oz. Every morning.

I'm hoping my hip isn't gout and its just something else
Old 08-30-2017, 10:35 AM   #66
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSREE View Post
Yeah, my doc said I don't have gout as of right now so I still have time to lower it naturally... I've been using spirulina/chlorella powder so far and things are looking good minus the odd times my hip gets messed up lol. I eat fairly healthy regularly as Im allergic to meat/shellfish and drink about 4-6L of water a day. Looking into raw organic celery juicing .. I've read it does wonders if you take 16 Oz. Every morning.

I'm hoping my hip isn't gout and its just something else
Did your doctor show you exactly how much uric acid you have? I don't think you have to worry about gout unless your uric acid is a lot higher than higher limit.

I think at one point my uric acid level was like 100 umol/L over the higher limit. I had no apparent symptoms.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #67
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Did your doctor show you exactly how much uric acid you have? I don't think you have to worry about gout unless your uric acid is a lot higher than higher limit.

I think at one point my uric acid level was like 100 umol/L over the higher limit. I had no apparent symptoms.
He did, I don't recall the # exactly. He just expressed the Allopurinol was for prevention and I wasn't specifically in a danger zone yet. So I guess the chances of it being gout are very low then

kinda relieved but now its a mystery
Old 10-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #68
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

When you start to take allopurinol, one of the side effects is that it can trigger a gout attack so make sure you drink lots of water.
blaze142 is offline   Reply With Quote