REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

gout

Anybody here have gout? Have you fully healed or stuck with discomfort?

I was diagnosed with gout mid november. I went through 3 series of meds already and it still hasnt healed. The pain is bareable now but still hurts when I jump and do calf raises.

hondadelsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts
stop eating rich foods i hear.. like beans and red meats and such.. and STOP doing jumps and do calf raises
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #3

yeah. im just curious if anybody here has fully recovered from gout.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Just curious, how old are you?

My grandfather had gout and it seemed pretty painful. I hear it can be genetic.

Hope you get well soon!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

0 alcohol, 0 fructose, 0 red meat - oddly coffee helps.

My grandfather had it but he never fully recovered. I don't think it ever goes away completely, at best it just becomes more managable.

Typically with gout you either are way over weight, drinking very heavily, have become insulin resistant, or something's gone bad bad with your kidneys. The issue that lead to the levels of uric acid in your body need to be addressed or no measure of medication will make it better. It's not something that "heals" so much as it's a symptom of a much larger problem.

Have you had your blood sugars tested? Your kidney function checked? A full blood panel?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #6

Its actually quite an interesting topic as the relative pathophysiology is somewhat simple and the treatment is as simple, however it doesn't necessarily lead to complete resolution.
Anyways, lots of people have gouty attacks and it may be difficult to find out why, many still have regular uric acid levels, but it may be exacerbated when other diseases become active leading to dehydration and ultimately a gouty attack.

To answer your questions straight up:
Anybody here have gout? Not me
Have you fully healed or stuck with discomfort? No

But honestly, if it is still painful after a few months, there may be something else sinister going on.

Purine rich foods may exacerbate gout - google it, a lot of people may find red meat to be a causative agent but its very hard to isolate what specifically causes it
Coffee helps because it can work like some meds in that it prevents the formation of uric acid (although since it is a diuretic it actually may worsen in some people)

Im just curious if anybody here has fully recovered from gout.
Many people just have episodes and completely resolve inbetween

Have you had your blood sugars tested? Your kidney function checked? A full blood panel?
Hopefully you would know prior to having a gouty attack that you have diabetes! Also, hopefully these have been done but a lot of times things are normal if you aren't having an episode

In any event, a lot of times meds are not warranted unless attacks are more frequent. In your case, it is weird that it is lasting this long (assuming you are young too) and maybe you want to get a second opinion?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
I've been in and out of gout attacks, yet I usually pinpoint what I ate to contract it, and cut back on that food. It sucks to have it since it gets tough to walk.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

i also want to know..how old are you?
my 90 year old grandmother has gout..she eases the symptoms with medication
i believe it's due to the liver's inability to process purine rich foods...

however, if you're not a senior citizen, i suggest you treat the source, not the problem
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #9

thanks for all the input guys. I already know quite a bit about gout already through researching. I just wanted a 2nd opinion from someone who is going through it.

Im 24 and I consider myself in very good shape. I had my first gout attack when i was on my 3rd week of taking creatine. Since then i stopped taking and stayed away from protein shakes. I had my the blood test done and the doc says theres nothing alarming with my uric acid levels. Anyways.. Im gonna see a different doctor on tuesday. Thanks alot guys
Old 01-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

wow 24...i known a few people who've had gout, and you are by FAR the youngest. Hope you get over it, and stay over it.
Nechako87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:22 AM   #11

If you keep getting attacks, Allopurinol is your friend. They say you have to take it for the rest of your life, but I took it for a year and now I only have it around for back up.. It de-saturated the toe and, with or without meds, that's what you need for it to heal.

Everybody says don't eat meat, etc.. For me, it's not the food. I can eat like a rabbit or an animal and it doesn't seem to make much of a diff. Yo-yo'ing between eating and not eating might, though, and a few other things but I don't do them anyhow.

But here's the kicker: Exercise. I have no doubt this is the biggest contributor for me. I'm not a doc, so don't ask me why. But I did find some studies that show uric acid levels get elevated after intense exercise.

I spent about a year hobbling around which sucks if you're active. At the time, I didn't know exercise was probably making it worse. Remember this is for me.. you might be different.

My toe feels great, BTW. And I'm eating a steak right now. Maybe I'll go work out tmr.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 AM   #12

Also, the commonly prescribed NSAIDs and the other one don't do shit for me.

And Nocardia sounds like a doc of some sort. I'd love to hear your comments.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
If you keep getting attacks, Allopurinol is your friend. They say you have to take it for the rest of your life, but I took it for a year and now I only have it around for back up.. It de-saturated the toe and, with or without meds, that's what you need for it to heal.

Everybody says don't eat meat, etc.. For me, it's not the food. I can eat like a rabbit or an animal and it doesn't seem to make much of a diff. Yo-yo'ing between eating and not eating might, though, and a few other things but I don't do them anyhow.

But here's the kicker: Exercise. I have no doubt this is the biggest contributor for me. I'm not a doc, so don't ask me why. But I did find some studies that show uric acid levels get elevated after intense exercise.

I spent about a year hobbling around which sucks if you're active. At the time, I didn't know exercise was probably making it worse. Remember this is for me.. you might be different.

My toe feels great, BTW. And I'm eating a steak right now. Maybe I'll go work out tmr.
After reviewing my blood samples my doc said I didnt need Allopurinol. I tried to stay away from meats and alcohal for a month and a half but that do anything. Im back to my normal eating habits now and do have the occasional drink. I haven't had any flare-ups yet but my toe joint is still swollen.

Yea, I read that exercising helps reduce uric acid levels too. I work out 4-5 days a week with heavy lifting and still no improvement. Hopefully this new doc prescribes me Allopurinol this time
Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:

nsaids and predisone didnt did shit for me either lol
Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #15

No, exercise seems to make it WORSE for me.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #16

Quote:

The most common NSAID used would be indomethacin but a lot of people (older) can't usually tolerate the high doses that are prescribed, if they are telling you to use OTC ibuprofen or something then you aren't really getting the best bang out of the NSAID.

The other shit - I assume is colchicine? - basically give that until you have diarrhea, then cut back.

In any event, none of these meds actually treat the main problem and at the moment, there is only 1 med that can actually get rid of excess uric acid (acutely) and its only for something else.

Others commented on the fact that steroids (prednisone) don't do anything for them, but much like the NSAIDs, they just help to reduce the inflammation and what you need to realize is that these medications don't work in 5-10 minutes, or 1-2 hours. In fact, most times you need to take a few days before you see any relief (not always the case, but more of an FYI for you).

The final step would be to aspirate the stone (if there is one) to help relieve the stress on your toe.

So despite our greatest advancements in medicine, gout treatment has not really changed in years...or even decades.
Saddening to say the least I suppose?
But as said before, alcohol is usually okay in mild amounts, and whenever possible keep hydrated!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #17
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,754 Times in 8,158 Posts
Cut carbs and alcohol from your diet. The gout will be gone, and your body will improve in every other way as well.

This is yet another modern disease that can be easily cured with proper diet. Don't listen to people who tell you that it's caused by "rich foods". The "richness" of food has nothing to do with it.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
I am Hook'd on RS

Try drinking fresh squeezed lemon juice. I've put a patient on that, and he said it never came back after 3 months.
kalekain is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,905 Times in 752 Posts
BUMP - old thread but good topic.

anyone else suffers from GOUT? my Dad has it so I got cursed with the hereditary thing.

my current attack started sunday morning 4am.. woke up with the toe pain... throughout sunday I drank about 10 glasses of water to flush it out... Monday at work and 3 litres of water later, the pain had all but diminished and the toe wasn't stiff... BUT..i got cocky and had a glass of mango juice / more like mango punch Monday evening... and bam, the pain is even worse come Tuesday morning 4am...so here I am at work today... barely able to walk and barely able to put on my dress shoes.

my plan? 3 litres of water and a cup of coffee... and NO mango juices.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #20
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
I had gout around 15 years ago, several bouts.
It got me right in the metatarsal-phalangeal joint at the base of the big toe.
At least I could wear socks and shoes so not the worst.

It felt like this,

The doc had me avoid purines.
I screwed a small block of wood the bottom of my work boot, right under the arch.
That got me walking again without flexing the, ouch, toe joint.

So far so good.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #21
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Cut carbs and alcohol from your diet. The gout will be gone, and your body will improve in every other way as well.
Agreed.
I got my first gout attack at 35, in my right knee. I had torn up my ankle, was a bit depressed, and was drinking and eating more than I should while doing my physio. Literally the minute I cracked 210lbs, I got the attack and it hurt really bad for two weeks. Granted, I didn't know what it was for the first week, and continued to drink. Even the 1st doc misdiagnosed it as an infection. I was happy when my regular doc got back from vacation...

I didn't take any of the drugs, as my doc isn't keen on the long term effects, but I did make a lot of changes.

-I went Vegitarian
-stopped drinking
-excercised every day

I last about 5 months as a vegan, and felt like shit. The doc asked if I was supplementing with B vitamins, and Iron, which I wasn't. I started eating free range chicken daily (5-7oz) and a weekly serving of beef (no more than 8 oz). Feeling great still, and it's been 2 years.

The non-drinking thing lasted about 6 months, but socially it wasn't acceptable so I started in with Gin and Cider. Both seem to be okay, unlike wine and beer which make my knee hurt. One thing though, I drink a TON of water. 500ml of cider, then drink 1L of h20 to flush.

I still excercise daily, even if it's a rainy hike through the forest. This has made the difference for me, as activity just makes me feel good.

Funny thing, for pain the doc prescribed T3 which messed up my system. A buddy came by one night with some pot cookies, and they changed the way I dealt with pain. Rather than takin 8-10 T3 a day, I would take two in the am, and a cookie throughout the day, and that took a lot of the pain away. Plus video games became more interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalekain View Post
Try drinking fresh squeezed lemon juice. I've put a patient on that, and he said it never came back after 3 months.
Agreed x 2.
Citric acid helps to combat the uric acid. I also eat a lot of cherries. Even in December when they're $12/lb, they work so well that it's worth it.
Also, cheese has been proven to help lower uric acid levels. I now use Whey protien, as it's so much easier on the body compared to animal protiens (which I get naturally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbar View Post
I was going to get that tatted on my knee.

But the doc said "don't do it!"

Quote:
So far so good.
Good to hear man!

I've been gout free for two years, but like the OP the first 3 months after the attack, it hurt. My doc said that purine crystals actually damage the muscle fibers that they attach to, and that's why it hurt for months after.

Gout has been the best, and worst thing to happen to me.
On one hand, it made me change my life. On the other, it's a lifelong scourge. I can't fall asleep without thinking "Is tonight the night?".

Last edited by originalhypa; 07-30-2013 at 11:43 AM.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #22
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

my father had it not long ago for 9 months, it was the worst feeling he says..

he passed it by avoiding eating anything with high uric acid,
limit his red meat eating to 200grams a day.
and cardio exercise
no more TEA

he also took some meds for 6 months
40mg uloric and colchicine .6mg

now after a year, hes doing weight lifting and HIT cardio again
he says now he feels it only if he eats too much red meat and anything with high uric acid
LookitsMarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #23

Thanked 2,905 Times in 752 Posts
Posted back on the 30th of July regarding my gout attack....and it's still going on!!

I caved and went to the doc for prescribed meds:

Indocin for relief of pain/swelling
Allopurinol for reduction of Uris acid

Gonna start them today.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #24

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Bumping this thread again...

Got my first gout attack on Jan 2 and I'm still feeling the pain. Doc said it's mostly genetics (grandpa and uncle have it) but the Christmas/New Years dinner's probably didn't help.

I've changed my diet and have mostly been eating salads with chicken. Kind of sucks since I really do like my steak but not having to experience the pain is def worth it.

After this passes, will I be able to run? I'm scared that running will cause the pain to start again since there's a lot of pressure on that toe.

I used to go to the gym quite frequently and took creatine and proteine, will I still be able to or would the gout attacks start again?
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #25
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
It will take a few weeks, but you'll be back to activity with few reminders of the gout. I'm 2.5 years past my first attack (knee, ouch!), and now play hockey numerous times per week. The doctor gave me the option of a lifetime of pills, or a change in lifestyle, so I started playing sports and haven't looked back.

Stay away from the additional animal based proteins. Those are definitely no good. I use whey protein at times, because there isn't a link between dairy and gout. Eat tons of veggies, and if you're going to do carbs, go with good grains like quinoa, and stay away from beans.

PS: I eat beef once a week. It's usually no more than 8oz of fine ass steak, or a good burger. Make it count.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: