REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #26
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i have no doubts that most mr.lube places are bad, but how much oil past the full line on the dipstick are we talking?

I dont know if it would be more than say 1L of a oil, but usually exceeding the full amount of oil in an engine wont be harmful unless its more than 1L. The components your really affecting are the exhaust system.

i've seen lots of people who add another .5L of oil after its reached the full because either its going to burn or leak out soon, or because more oil can reduce valve chatter in older engines.

thats odd how it wouldnt show up when you got to the shop.
Advertisement

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #27
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Mr. Lube tightened the drain nut on our honda's oil pan with what appears to be an impact wrench lol. Never again will I go there.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #28
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

It would show up if the sneaky fucker wasn't wiping the dipstick before showing it to him. He should have gotten out and checked it himself. When you want shit done right you do it yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
i have no doubts that most mr.lube places are bad, but how much oil past the full line on the dipstick are we talking?

I dont know if it would be more than say 1L of a oil, but usually exceeding the full amount of oil in an engine wont be harmful unless its more than 1L. The components your really affecting are the exhaust system.

i've seen lots of people who add another .5L of oil after its reached the full because either its going to burn or leak out soon, or because more oil can reduce valve chatter in older engines.

thats odd how it wouldnt show up when you got to the shop.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #29
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I normally do oil changes myself on all my cars, but the first service on my MS3 was covered by Signature Mazda. The fuckers overfilled my oil by 3/4 of a liter.
The reason this happens is pretty easy to understand. They drain the oil, don't get all of it, then add exactly what the manual says - so now you're over. Especially at the dealerships that vacuum oil from the top rather than drain from the bottom.

Still sucks that it happens.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #30
c32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

this is why i stoped going to mr lube, they are scams and make money off commision... and i was one that got suckered into it..... i stoped goin to them a couple years ago after i noticed it didnt seem like they changed the oil filter when they said they did and that they make money off commission...
c32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #31
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
that jiffy lube video when the training consisted of spotting hidden cameras..LOL
don't these greedy fucks realize many people don't always have funds for auto maintnence...so they have to cut it from other sources. I hope they go under.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #32
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Mr. Lube is owned by the same person that owns Boston Pizza and is an ex-cop. He's also on Dragons Den.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #33

It all comes down to who you get as your "technician"
If you're lucky you'll get somebody who has morals
IF you're lucky being the key word.
trust me, I know
greendb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #34

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
imo having a personal mechanic or a friend that's a mechanic is the best thing.
cause you know they're not going to fuck you over.

smaller private shops are always better, these big companies run through lots of cars daily so they think they can get away with shit here and there.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #35
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcaptain View Post
op did a white guy help u check ur engine oil level?
Posted via RS Mobile
yup in his early 30s maybe, blonde hair, said he's been there 12 years... (so he's easy to pity lol)

On a side note, I ended up taking out over 750ml before the dipstick shows full. Almost filled a liter dasani bottle... Managed to also install a fumoto drain valve
5ive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #36

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Just change your own oil - it's easier than changing your wiper blades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:07 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Just change your own oil - it's easier than changing your wiper blades.
I do, but as I said in the original post, I was injured, and couldn't do it.
5ive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #38
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I'm sure they do.

That said, the dealerships aren't much better. When I had an older car I used to just do everything on it myself but then I viewed it as a disposable vehicle so if I screwed it up, well what ever. My newer car... not so much so rock and a hard place. Also I don't live in a house any more but an apartment and we're not permitted to do auto work on site as per our property management.

I find, sadly, I pay the least if I have my dad take my car into the dealership for me, which I HATE. I used do it myself and then point out after the fact that the had done more than I asked or were not doing what I'd asked but it becomes a head ache having to argue with the mechanic every time you need an oil change or any kind of service. Or to have to say no 60,000 times to extra crap they're trying to foist off on me and the accompanying bullying and/or guilt trip.

I don't think you guys have any idea how lucky you are given how completely backwards and sexist the whole industry STILL is.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 AM   #39
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Mr. Lube tried to convince me my tiburon was turbo so it needed fully syn..... The guy honestly pointed to the CAI like 4 times asking me if I was sure it wasn't.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #40
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
i never take my car to those places...
i dont care if an oil change is difficulty level 0/10, their level of care is also 0/10.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #41
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Mr. Lube tried to convince me my tiburon was turbo so it needed fully syn..... The guy honestly pointed to the CAI like 4 times asking me if I was sure it wasn't.
I'm not suprised one bit you were told this.

One of my neighbours,her son works at Mr.Lube,this kid is one of the dumbest person I have ever met in my life,he knows nothing about cars....cannot even drive stick,I would not trust him to change the batteries in my T.V remote,let alone the oil in my car.The fucked up thing is,he got promoted to do upsales,basically selling services to people they don't need.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #42
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
I don't think you guys have any idea how lucky you are given how completely backwards and sexist the whole industry STILL is.
My GF found an all female garage in Vancouver, might interest you to get away from the sexist attitudes.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #43
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
My GF found an all female garage in Vancouver, might interest you to get away from the sexist attitudes.
Seriously?! What's it called? Where is it? I live way the hell out in the tricities but I might be willing to go a ways out of my way to avoid dealing with the bull shit.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #44

I've brought my Type R to the Mr Lube on Arbutus because they are the only no appt oil change place in Vancouver that can deal with my super low car.

The guys there are always super nice, show me what they are doing and do a good job.

I do watch them though ;-)
2000 Acura Integra Type R #858 -- original owner
2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Phat_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #45
My homepage has been set to RS

I'd never take my car to Mr.Lube.....If you want something done right, do it yourself.
92 240sx - dd/project car
88 CRX - sold
98 DC2 - sold

Renting out pbm fender roller - pm for details.
satek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #46

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
I'm not suprised one bit you were told this.

One of my neighbours,her son works at Mr.Lube,this kid is one of the dumbest person I have ever met in my life,he knows nothing about cars....cannot even drive stick,I would not trust him to change the batteries in my T.V remote,let alone the oil in my car.The fucked up thing is,he got promoted to do upsales,basically selling services to people they don't need.
:noob:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #47
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I've used the Mr Lube on Arbustus twice without issue. My car has a sensor which will tell me when the oil is too full or too low, and no dipstick to check the level - and they've gotten it correct twice without issue.

I will say Mr Lube does pray on those who don't know much about cars. They tried to upsell me on several things, like coolant flush, and if I didn't know I'm not at the interval to change these items then most people would probably just say yes and pay for service they don't need.
I'm taking back my good review of Mr Lube @ 12th/Arbutus.

I visited on Sat to have an oil change done, and since it had been over 4 years I figured I'd get the coolant flushed too.

First mistake: inexperienced top-side tech.

From the moment he popped my hood I knew he'd never worked on a Mercedes. He couldn't find the oil filter, then when he did he didn't know how to change it, and often fiddled or stopped and stared until someone came over and asked him what was wrong. The other techs knew exactly how to service my car, yet rather than supervise this guy, or even switch with him, I was left to watch him fumble his way through everything. Now I have to double check everything to make sure he didn't screw it up.

Next time I see this I will be stopping the tech and asking the manager to switch techs.

Second mistake: getting a coolant "flush".

I expected an actual flush. Drain the old coolant, fill with water (aka FLUSH!), drain again, fill with new coolant. What I got was a pressurized vacuum which stopped working for awhile and took 3 employees to adjust it before it starting sucking more coolant - doesn't inspire confidence that all the old coolant was sucked out. Then new coolant was added while the same inexperienced tech randomly added water to the mixture in the machine... so I'm not confident of the mixture of coolant in my car right now.

Again, no-one followed up with the inexperienced tech to ensure the coolant was done properly. Despite there being at least 6 top-side employees just randomly walking around.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #48
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Id really like to know the name of this garage as well. My wife may be interested Job wise.

Edit: Is this "nics garage" your talking about?

Last edited by 91civicZC; 08-08-2011 at 11:26 AM.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #49
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive0 View Post
I think the incompetence at the Arbutus one is the same, but I am pretty sure they would deny it.
Seriously? A little extra oil will NOT hurt your motor. Hell, I over full mine a good half liter when I track it just to be sure I don't get any starvation. You are getting your panties in a bunch over a non issue.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #50
Need to Seek Professional Help

this is why you do it yourself.
ptrinh is offline   Reply With Quote