REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Mr Lube mini-Rant

Disclaimer: My fault for letting my wife take my car there...BUT

I've been busted up because of an accident and unable to drive, my wife has been driving my Jeep, and it was time for an oil change. Normally I change it, but because I am injured I cant do jack... so I tell her to go to Mr.Lube at Arbutus. Dumb move.

Anyway, she's driven it for about 1500kms since the change, now I am able to move around and I decide to go check the oil, and its way over. Warm/cold, doesn't matter, its way over the 'safe' mark. I figure, I should let them know, and I drive over. while I sit in my car, the guy, who was really nice, says 'hmm' let me check, and comes back with my dipstick at perfect level. I think thats odd, so I get him to try again in a few mins, and sure enough perfect level. I notice that the dipstick is really clean, and on Jeep TJs no matter how you take the dipstick out you get some residue on the sides.

So confused, I thank the guy, he offers me a free paper, I decline, and leave. A block away, I still cant get over it, so I pull over and check the oil and its way over, I wait 5mins and do it again, and its over.... yes the car was off...and the dipstick still has a bit of residue on both sides when you pull it out, no matter how carefully and how many times its cleaned.

Anyway, mention it to my friend who worked at Mr.Lube 10 years ago, and he said they regularly wipe the stick up to the full mark as the take it out.... just so customers don't get thier panties in a knot if its slightly over... I'm livid. Mostly because I am guessing thats what the guy did, and I'm totally being taken for a ride. I figure the guy who I think was an assistant mgr perhaps, just wanted to avoid the liability of admitting it was over... anyhow, thats my rant....

edit: there has been no obvious damage, but I keep my cars in good shape, and know the damage that too much oil can do...
Advertisement
5ive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
If you like too keep your cars in good shape you shouldnt trust mr lube with oil changes, should of just told your wife to go to the dealership. I know its more expensive and that dealerships arent trustworthy at all times but its still more trustworthy than mr lube.

that or you should of taught your wife how to change the oil with your supervision
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
On a few lazy occasions, I've taken my Civic to the one on Main/2nd with no complaints.. or so I thought..

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
you should of taught your wife how to change the oil with your supervision
I like this idea. Get her some ripped up/slutty coverall's... it's a win-win deal!
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon_Fed View Post
I like this idea. Get her some ripped up/slutty coverall's... it's a win-win deal!
ah yes, you're assuming that my wife isnt 300lbs with buck teeth.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,337 Times in 5,647 Posts
a girl i knew in kamloops, Mr.Lube put washer fluid into her rad in place of coolant, fucked her engine completely, Lube ended up buying her a new car i think
Old 01-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
a girl i knew in kamloops, Mr.Lube put washer fluid into her rad in place of coolant, fucked her engine completely, Lube ended up buying her a new car i think
I think the incompetence at the Arbutus one is the same, but I am pretty sure they would deny it.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
I don't get it

Watch out for those guys! I had my car's engine oil changed at the one on Hastings at Clark and they didn't put my air cleaner back together properly. My wife, who was with me didn't notice the difference in sound when accelerating but I did. So I pulled over and checked and they didn't even clip the cover back on, it was just hanging there.

They know that it would take a little while to dust a engine because of dirty intake air and I would have no way to proving that they did something wrong. So, no more Mr. Lube for me.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
At the Mr.Lube in Abbotsford someone replaced the oil with coolant in a year old diesel F350, I believe they bought the owner a new truck.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #10

its amazing that someone can make mistakes like that,

pouring in coolant instead of oil?

it is not exactly rocket science
younglude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
^u'd be amazed at how stupid people can be.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^Not after years on RS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
If you like too keep your cars in good shape you shouldnt trust mr lube with oil changes, should of just told your wife to go to the dealership. I know its more expensive and that dealerships arent trustworthy at all times but its still more trustworthy than mr lube
my experiences have taught me that the dealership is actually cheaper than Mr.Lube. JP toyota at least. Its like 36 bucks or something with taxes in.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
I've used the Mr Lube on Arbustus twice without issue. My car has a sensor which will tell me when the oil is too full or too low, and no dipstick to check the level - and they've gotten it correct twice without issue.

I will say Mr Lube does pray on those who don't know much about cars. They tried to upsell me on several things, like coolant flush, and if I didn't know I'm not at the interval to change these items then most people would probably just say yes and pay for service they don't need.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #15
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhall View Post
my experiences have taught me that the dealership is actually cheaper than Mr.Lube. JP toyota at least. Its like 36 bucks or something with taxes in.
+1 the dealers are not bad for what they charge nowadays for oil changes. At least from the ones I see. Skip the 9,000,000 point inspections, $10 car wash (mercedes lol charge for a whole bottle of shampoo :/ ), and all that jazz.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
Need my Daily Fix of RS

A lot of the dealerships have lowered their prices in the past couple years to compete with other mechanics, lube shops and even jobber parts. 5 years ago I would never think of calling toyota for a price on anything, always lordco. Now toyota is the first place I call, and 70% of the time where I end up buying my parts. Im talking stock replacment of course, mostly for my truck which is hardly ever. Most of my cars parts are being made or coming out of california because no one sells parts locally.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
lol richmond toyota tried to sell my gf a clutch fluid change for her automatic matrix... ON TOP of ATF change... Wtfs..
Posted via RS Mobile
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #18
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Picard View Post
lol richmond toyota tried to sell my gf a clutch fluid change for her automatic matrix... ON TOP of ATF change... Wtfs..
well they cant all be winners. the real question is, did she buy it?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #19
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
op did a white guy help u check ur engine oil level?
Posted via RS Mobile
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #20
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
well they cant all be winners. the real question is, did she buy it?
No. Thank god she called me because they gave her a quote for 300+ dollars on a major service.

I was like WTF and told her to literally "turn around, walk out"
Old 01-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
I normally do oil changes myself on all my cars, but the first service on my MS3 was covered by Signature Mazda. The fuckers overfilled my oil by 3/4 of a liter.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #22
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Friend bought his VW there and somehow they put the oil filter in the wrong way and needless to say they had to get him a engine rebuild.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
+1 the dealers are not bad for what they charge nowadays for oil changes. At least from the ones I see. Skip the 9,000,000 point inspections, $10 car wash (mercedes lol charge for a whole bottle of shampoo :/ ), and all that jazz.
Don't get me started on horror stories from dealership mechanics... like when I brought our Caravan in for A/C service to Marine Chrysler, and got to listen to a guy losing his mind because they'd parked his BRAND NEW pickup outside after his oil change... in the pouring rain... with the passenger window down. And then handed him a wad of paper towels to go wipe off his leather seats. And then proceeded to lose our keys when I came to pick the van up (sat around for an hour while they searched for them, and the manager actually seemed to be pissed off at ME for having an issue with it!)... only to find out a week later they'd given them to another woman, who when the fob didn't work for her van, just took out a spare set and carried ours home with her.

Took our Jeep back to Maple Ridge Chrysler for its first oil change... had to book a four-hour window for it. Really puts a crimp in the work day to do that, especially when the service center keeps banker's hours. It might cost a bit less cash (MAYBE) but what is your time worth for all that fucking around, vs. just rolling up in line whenever you have the time and being out again in less than half an hour?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #24
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

ask your friend what other "tricks" they do at Mr. Lube maybe? so we can watch for them
imp>dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #25
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts

The equivalent of Mr. Lube in the States. Dunno if they did the same shit here though.