REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #76
My homepage has been set to RS

anyone who has an android or Iphone....or even a blackberry (i think) the F1 app is great a must download
Advertisement
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #77
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
what?

no he was like .08 seconds too slow to make the cut

Liuzzi and CHandook? or whatever aren't allowed to race today because of the 107% rule

schumis in last place popped a tire due to some dumbass
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #78
My homepage has been set to RS

i see what u mean.... went back and read ur post

I was confused and thought you meant he was not racing at all
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #79
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
so the adjustable rear wing just provides additional down force for ovetaking?
No. The adjustable rear wing reduces downforce (reducing drag) which allows higher speeds to aid in a pass attempt.

REally good drive by Petrov, who seemed absolutely giddy in the postrace press conference. Vettel and the RB7=incredible.

Did anybody catch exactly what is/was wrong with RB's KERS such that they didn't use it? Was Renault using KERS?
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 AM   #80
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
What an amazing drive by the 3 podium finishers! Pretty happy for Petrov to get his first podium but like what Brundle and Co. said "you can't help but think what Kubica would have done with that car"

Vettel and his Kinky Kylie(RB7) is crazy! Webber was so far off the pace with the same machinery.

Last but not least, Nicole Scherzinger is such a fucking hottie I hope she comes to all the races
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:14 AM   #81

thought she looked drained in qualifying, like she lost her looks

im kind of annoyed that the cameras are spending so much time on her... useless distraction
(speaking of which anyone check out her music videos, she's been releasing over in the uk?)

Perez and Kobayashi were disqualified

shame about Michael and Nico (although im kind of glad Nico got a DNF)
Old 03-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #82
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
havn't watched the race yet, still watching the prerace...

just got to the japan tribute... kinda rolled my eyes... maybe their culture effects those around the world, or maybe their situation is really really bad. But I don't remember the drivers walking to the front for haiti, or the 04 tsunami.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #83
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
I hope vettel won't be this untouchable all season, or it's going to be a boring season.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #84
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
^
ya.. it wasnt even close for 1st place...
and rmbr the red bull cars dun even have kers in place yet...
lol Alonso cant pass Petrov for shitzy
sigh... how come ferrari never bring a strong openin to any season, not a BIG Alonso fan.. but a HUGE ferrari fan
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
thought she looked drained in qualifying, like she lost her looks
She was so pale I didn't recognize her at first. It almost looks like she's been visiting Michael Jackson's dermatologist. I also don't think that she deserves the F1 screen time that she does get, but that's a different matter.

Quote:
Perez and Kobayashi were disqualified

shame about Michael and Nico (although im kind of glad Nico got a DNF)
I wonder, was Rubens seeing the RED MIST when he saw a silver car in front of him?

One thing definitely worth mentioning is how big Vettel's pass on Button was. It was aggressive and necessary.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #86

LOL?!!!!

Sauber got DQ'd ouch...
Old 03-28-2011, 02:30 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
havn't watched the race yet, still watching the prerace...

just got to the japan tribute... kinda rolled my eyes... maybe their culture effects those around the world, or maybe their situation is really really bad. But I don't remember the drivers walking to the front for haiti, or the 04 tsunami.
Well F1 does race on a circuit in Japan, there used to be 2 Japanese teams, and there's still Japanese drivers in the mix
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #88
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
^ funny, I just realised that F1 is blocked out from Speedvision in Canada. TSN gets all the coverage in HD from the BBC feed. yay.
I realized that after I PVRd it FML

Why?
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #89
Banned (ABWS)

Did anyone else find the new rules kinda gimicky? The whole "he's within 1 second and can deploy DMR and go 12 kmph faster" and "the system isn't enabled yet" and "watch the KERS get recharged as they cross the line" ...

It felt like watching a video game with power ups and turbo. What next? slowing the front runners so the back runners can catch up? If the technology is there let them use it whenever they want, as much as they want.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #90

^ Agreed.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I realized that after I PVRd it FML

Why?
what's funny is the SD channel (55) says "Off-Air" in the guide during F1 but you can still watch F1
Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #92

Quote:
Did anyone else find the new rules kinda gimicky? The whole "he's within 1 second and can deploy DMR and go 12 kmph faster" and "the system isn't enabled yet" and "watch the KERS get recharged as they cross the line" ...

It felt like watching a video game with power ups and turbo. What next? slowing the front runners so the back runners can catch up? If the technology is there let them use it whenever they want, as much as they want.
I agree. But neither of the technologies is entirely new.

KERS is making a return and a few years ago, there was a driver-adjustable front wing. I like KERS in concept and principle and in some ways I think it could help drive advances that might actually trickle down to roadcars, unlike all the crazy aero work. Wen KERS was making its debut a few years ago, I think the idea was to steadily increase the amount of KERS year per year - ~80 hp for 5 sec/lap initially, and then ~ 10sec/lap etc.

All this said, the most incredibly dominant car in the Australia GP field did not use KERS, and the best cars in 2009 (RB and Brawn) were not KERS-equipped either. Does not bode well for the technology.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #93
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

they need to make kers mandatory and double up the available usage to make a true push to pass button.

i have no problem with kers, u got to start somewhere to make the shift to new technology. however making it optional is just dumb, make it mandatory and even across all teams.

however the best way to improve passing, reduce brake size or get rid of the ceramic brakes
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #94
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts

ROSBERG IS A MONSTER
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #95

I tried getting a hotel room on the circuit @ monaco I swear these guys must book like years in advance or something -_-

his trainer must get paid $$$

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-29-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #96

A little safety info, I never knew the specs of the helmets before so it was pretty interesting to read + the new visor they added sounds intense

Quote:
SUPER VISOR - FORMULA ONE HELMETS BECOME EVEN SAFER
Zylon visor strip makes the super-tough helmet tougher still

Black, mean and no-nonsense - the helmet pictured here is the zenith of driver head protection. A mere 1,200 gram carbon-fibre shell that can withstand the crushing force of a 55-tonne tank without deforming, and an 800 degree Celsius fire for 30 seconds without its interior rising above 70 degrees Celsius. This FIA-prescribed 8860 racing helmet reached such a peak after years of research and development led by the FIA Institute and leading helmet manufacturers.

It is a remarkable piece of kit, supplied to race (and rally) drivers by Arai, Schuberth and Bell since 2004. Yet the quest for perfection is unceasing. And this season all 8860 helmets will feature a new refinement, a Zylon strip across the top of the visor (also indicated, right, but in prototype carbon-fibre form) that will significantly enhance protection in one of its unavoidably weaker areas - the visor, a polycarbonate medium that of necessity isn’t as strong as the overall shell.

The vulnerability of the visor area was exposed at the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix, when the helmet of Ferrari driver Felipe Massa was struck by a spring that had become detached from the car ahead. The spring hit Massa’s helmet at precisely the point where visor and helmet shell meet, with a force equivalent to a bag of sugar smacking into his head at 260 km/h (160 mph). Massa suffered a serious injury and, while he has made a full recovery, the incident prompted drivers to ask whether further safety enhancements to the visor area could be made.

The Zylon strip, 50mm tall across the full width of the visor, is the answer. It overlaps the top 25mm of the visor itself and extends 25mm above the helmet shell edge - dimensions that ensure extra protection without further restricting driver vision. It’s a neat arrangement, occupying as it does the area currently covered by advertising strips, so there’s no commercial downside to improved driver protection.

Andy Mellor, the FIA Institute technical adviser, explains that Zylon is subtly different from the carbon fibre used elsewhere in the helmet shell: “In tests we found that Zylon was better than carbon fibre for this application as it offers better energy-absorbing qualities. Our goal for the visor was to get the best performance-to-weight ratio for whatever material we chose. We’ve added about 70 grams to the visor, but we have doubled its impact performance.”

Zylon, a synthetic polymer, is already used widely in high-profile applications, such as ballistics-resistant body armour, snowmobile drive belts and the rigging on racing yachts. It is also a familiar material to motorsport engineers - since 2007 the cockpits of Formula One cars have been Zylon-clad and their wheel tethers can be made from Zylon.

The introduction of the strip marks only the first phase of planned enhancements to visor safety. The FIA Institute and helmet manufacturers are currently researching the use of high-performance optical materials - transparent ceramics - as the main visor medium.
http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2011/3/11880.html
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #97
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
I agree. But neither of the technologies is entirely new.

KERS is making a return and a few years ago, there was a driver-adjustable front wing.
I do like KERS in principle, yet in practice it just is not working.
I love the idea of adjustable components, yet let the driver have full control at anytime. Don't make it into a video game and limit when/where ti can be used.

I wish F1 would return to the glory days when much more was legal: 6 wheels, turbos first introduced, raised nose, ground effects, ... ie let the manufacturers run wild and come up with new technology.

Either that, or throw a huge monkey wrench into F1 and stir it up: all electric. Electric motors are very reliable, generate huge amount of torque and HP at all RPMs, and since refilling is already banned the batteries just need to last the entire race.

This would challenge the manufacturers again - seeing how they can push the limits of performance and technology - which is IMHO what F1 is about.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #98
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
lol with battery powered F1 cars, I bet 90% of the field would be DNF each race
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #99
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Redbull Front wing/nose flex:

Did Vettel Make a legal pass on Button?:

[CENTER]

1:45 in this video:

Rich

PS. A fantastic article about the Australian GP: http://planetf1.com/race-features/68...Winners-Losers
Vancouver240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #100
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Electric motors are very reliable, generate huge amount of torque and HP at all RPMs, and since refilling is already banned the batteries just need to last the entire race.
Silent electric cars would do wonders for the formula 1 experience!!

Faint buzz after faint buzz, fantastic!
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote