REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
there will always be bullies and kids that get bullied upon. its never gonna end. deal with it.

i think this picture sums it up best

Advertisement
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #27
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahai69 View Post
there will always be bullies and kids that get bullied upon. its never gonna end. deal with it.

i think this picture sums it up best

lol econ, we'll always be in equilibrium

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #28
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
somebody shoulda just loot some shit
shawn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #29
Banned (ABWS)

i wouldve just run in there and push some of the dancers over just to troll

Xnova86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #30
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Heres the problem:
What does dancing have to do with bullying? I'm viewing this and all I see is another typical "flash mob". How do people dancing convey the message that people are still being bullied? I understand that its kids putting this together but it doesn't change the fact that the final message isn't being communicated. I see people laughing and dancing, what does that have to do with bullying?
Name of video: Anti-Bullying Flashmob January 2011
Views:28,837
And, Were talking about it. (How is that not a legitimate point is beyond me. You don't get to just discredit a point being made by saying "and oh god don't anybody say")

Also, Pink shirt day to support anti-bullying is fairly well known. People wear pink shirts on those days, and people are aware. http://www.pinkshirtday.ca/ , etc.

And no, it doesn't do anything directly. How does donating money to a food bank directly help starving people, it doesn't. Indirectly, the money is used to buy food which is then given to the needy families/persons. Hopefully this stunt raises awareness, which reduces bullying.

Quote:
You say awareness, ok, maybe between this display of arm flapping and leg kicking I somewhere read "anti-bullying". What is my next step? How do you convert those viewers of this event into actual participants of the campaign? This reminds me of that "change your facebook picture into a cartoon to stop... " wtf was it again anyways?
You don't have to become and actual participant of the campaign (hand out fliers, etc.) to actually make a positive difference. Maybe someone who saw this went home and had a talk with his son about bullying. Maybe the son admitted to the father that he was being bullied, or he was a bully, and the situation was dealt with. There's a million different things that could happen. And even if the consequence of this event is that only one or two kids stop being bullied over a course of a year or two, I think it's pretty worth it. Something is better than nothing.

Quote:
I'm not saying "Don't promote anti-bullying", I'm saying "If you're going to promote anti-bullying, make it meaningful to me/us"
You can't really speak for 'us' now can you.
And, 'me', you're one person buddy. I'm sure a lot of people share your view but you discredit the entire event based on what you think/feel.

edit: Failing me without posting a reply makes you the failure. AK might have a differing view than me but at least he's man enough to have a mature conversation.

Last edited by m!chael; 02-08-2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: some fucking dickcheese failed me
m!chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #31
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,658 Times in 2,308 Posts
Posted via RS Mobile
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #32
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m!chael View Post
Name of video: Anti-Bullying Flashmob January 2011
Views:28,837
And, Were talking about it. (How is that not a legitimate point is beyond me. You don't get to just discredit a point being made by saying "and oh god don't anybody say")
Yes, we're talking about it, but we're talking about how gay it is.

Quote:
You don't have to become and actual participant of the campaign (hand out fliers, etc.) to actually make a positive difference.
By participate I don't mean actually dance, I mean get involved with the cause after the event has happened. During a flash mob it seems like the only thing that happens is people witness others dance for some cause but what happens after the fact?

Quote:
Maybe someone who saw this went home and had a talk with his son about bullying. Maybe the son admitted to the father that he was being bullied, or he was a bully, and the situation was dealt with. There's a million different things that could happen. And even if the consequence of this event is that only one or two kids stop being bullied over a course of a year or two, I think it's pretty worth it. Something is better than nothing.
This is a good point. But, it would be a great point if people would actually be able to associate a group of people dancing with bullying. For example, if people wearing pink shirts stood outside the exits for an hour after the dance to hand out more information about anti-bullying, then yes, it would have been more effective. But a group dance for alone isn't very powerful if you can't learn much after it.

You're saying the pink shirt day is very well known, is it really? For all I know its your word versus mine. Yes, they have over 12 thousand followers on facebook but does the average Vancouverite/Canadian know what it is?

We don't know what steps were taken after the dance to engage with the people (other than this video was posted to youtube). Maybe it was sent to the news, maybe people DID stand at the exits to hand out info.

I do wonder what other steps were taken after the "dance". Seems like they did have news cameras there.
I also wonder if someone will google some keywords related to pink shirt day, find this thread, and respond to what goes on here somehow. ha

edit*
also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture View Post
pick an entirely overrated song
get kids to wear pink and do a gay dance

call it a day, we stopped bullying!
lol sounds like troll physics

edit*

also,
seems like the only people surrounding the kids were their parents. So maybe about a total of 12 people were truly taken by surprise?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.

Last edited by The_AK; 02-08-2011 at 11:35 PM.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #33
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
i dont see why you have to call it gay.. at least something is being done, wether it works or not. at least it goes to show that people do care about it...

What have you guys been doing to stop it.... exactly.. nothing...

and worst of all, you guys are making fun of locals.... shame on you guys...
Old 02-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #34
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post

and worst of all, you guys are making fun of locals.... shame on you guys...
doesn't make a difference.

would hate on equally as much if they were in the U.S. or something.

Last edited by 1exotic; 02-09-2011 at 12:09 AM.
1exotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #35
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
3:00 Ms. Peters!
she was my teacher for french when i attended john oliver.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #36
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dub View Post
Whao, my highschool French teacher.
+1
jerche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #37

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
I came.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #38
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Shoulda been there to steam roll these kids. Alpha male comin through, not givin' a shit, overwhelming that pansy song with this:
Spoiler!
alpinestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #39

Thanked 1,607 Times in 547 Posts
haters gonna hate

Last edited by snowball; 02-09-2011 at 03:33 AM.
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #40
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
they definitely got that message across clearly.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #41
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
One issue is that you can NEVER stop bullying,

its in our hormones especially in males.

It's always animal nature to bully, and we are animals.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:39 AM   #42

Thanked 1,607 Times in 547 Posts
^ although it is true that we will probably never stop bullying there is much need to bring awareness to the effects of bullying regardless of how silly you think it is.

Yes it is nature to be competitive and possibly "bully" however, you cannot "bully" when you're an adult. Physical "bullying" would be considered assault and verbal bullying could be considered as uttering threats, libel and slander. If adults can't get away with bullying why should school-age children have to deal with it in their most fragile years?

We're not just talking about making fun of people or calling people fat here. There are various degrees of bullying and unfortunately the acts of bullying perpetrated by some can lead to suffering by innocent others ie/ columbine.
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #43
zz
I am Hook'd on RS

While its questionable for their process of getting a point across, atleast they're trying to do something about this matter. No one in their right minds think they are going to achieve something as insane as stopping bullying altogether, like the few of you suggested here, sarcastically.

While your point begs the question "how the hell is this effective" I feel you shouldn't discredit something as useless if you've never volunteered your own time to do what they are doing. If you truly think it is ineffective, why not be helpful and give them feedback and show them your ideas?

And to those that say that in your days you just knocked out a bully, certain situations are completely different. Just because you overcame your bully by force doesn't mean another person is able to, or for that matter should take that course of action.

Your notion that you need to use violence in order to not be stupid is completely outrageous.

But that's my opinion since we have freedom of speech, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, whether they don't care about the issue at all (since this is the internet, and apparently on revscene there is some notion that real discussions are not useful) or just want to add witty remarks.
-neways im rambling.

Last edited by zz; 02-09-2011 at 04:29 AM.
zz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #44
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

stop pushing me.. im warning you.. i GOT A WHOLE KREW WAITING FOR YOU!! THEY AT OAKRIDGE MALL RIGHT NOW, BRING IT!!!
alpinestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #45

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
I'm scared to go to Oakridge now... fearing mass bully retaliation.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #46
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

the only thing a bully understands is a bigger bully.

when i got bullied, my brother went and fucked those kids up. never happened again.

don't have older siblings?
pay a big kid to shit kick your bully.

this dance is about effective as me putting up Pedobear in my Facebook avatar to help stop child abuse.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #47
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
People should just do whatever the fuck they want and stop worrying about what people think. That's why flash mobs are awesome, they're liberating.

Also, although it doesn't help per se, it raises awareness. If someone saw a flash mob and became aware of the issue at hand, and even had a giggle or two at the moment, that person is more likely to donate funds to that cause or actually do something about it.

What's the point of a reporter going to Africa and observing people starving without actually feeding them. It's the awareness that he raises.
Honestly, at the end of the day, nobody really gives a flying fuck about them. Awareness or not, the thought enters one eye and leaves the other eye just as fast....nobody cares.../end life.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #48
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
I'm all for anti bullying, but man I hate flash mob. Essentially attention whores dancing together thinking they've changed the world or something.
Posted via RS Mobile
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #49

Quote:
And no, it doesn't do anything directly. How does donating money to a food bank directly help starving people, it doesn't. Indirectly, the money is used to buy food which is then given to the needy families/persons.

You're comparing something physical, monetary vs an idea. I can give a homeless person the idea of food, or I can give them food. Not the same thing.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #50
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote