REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #51
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Actually, getting all the kids to work together on something in a cohesive group, probably reduced friction between cliques within the schools and there for reduced bullying inside of those two schools.

You know, if you want to talk about managing group dynamics, getting groups of people together that wouldn't usually associate and getting them to 1. do something fun and 2. do something they wouldn't normally do, breaks down standard patterns of behavior and builds large group cohesiveness and establishes a group norm of cooperation.

That's what dancing has to do with stopping bullying. The teachers who coordinated the event have probably defused any bullying problems in both of their schools in a very fun and easy way that doesn't involve having to suspend anyone or paint anyone as victims or perpetrators.
Advertisement
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #52
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
The only people doing flash mobs and enjoy watching them are the same people who were enthusiastic about the electric slide in elementary school
Posted via RS Mobile
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #53
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
One issue is that you can NEVER stop bullying,

its in our hormones especially in males.

It's always animal nature to bully, and we are animals.
Replace the word bullying with "rape". Just because something is human nature doesn't mean we can't control it for the betterment of peoples.
Posted via RS Mobile
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #54
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Replace the word bullying with "rape". Just because something is human nature doesn't mean we can't control it for the betterment of peoples.
Posted via RS Mobile
the only reason rape isn't rampant, is because of the consequences you could face.

Look at Hurricane Katrina. people thought they were anonymous as the internet and did whatever the fuck they wanted. it was a lawless fucking free for all.

take away the fear of punishment and all hell breaks loose in the fucking united states even. a world power, first world nation.

within 2-3 weeks New Orleans became hell.

given a chance, people will act like the animals we all are but pretend that we aren't.

all animals feel the need to eat, fuck, and establish pecking order/dominate others.

back in the caveman days, it was needed. in today's society there is no place for it.

think of the UFC or MMA. people love watching other people fuck each other up. eventually we'll see arenas again like in ancient Rome.

people go nuts when they cant get out their aggressions/ frustrations so we pick fights. not to be a moron and beat on some big dude, bullys pick on the weaker kids.

i think im rambling off now...
Old 02-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #55
resident Oil Guru

^ so clearly, we need to unleash the Tossed Salad man on kids caught bullying. Problem solved
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #56
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I'd bully you if I saw you in that flashmob.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #57
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Actually, getting all the kids to work together on something in a cohesive group, probably reduced friction between cliques within the schools and there for reduced bullying inside of those two schools.

You know, if you want to talk about managing group dynamics, getting groups of people together that wouldn't usually associate and getting them to 1. do something fun and 2. do something they wouldn't normally do, breaks down standard patterns of behavior and builds large group cohesiveness and establishes a group norm of cooperation.

That's what dancing has to do with stopping bullying. The teachers who coordinated the event have probably defused any bullying problems in both of their schools in a very fun and easy way that doesn't involve having to suspend anyone or paint anyone as victims or perpetrators.
No. This was a highly idealized exercise that didn't do anything in the real world. In the end, NOTHING changed. Bullying is a highly complex psychological and social problem.

If anything, the douchebags at school the next day were like "hey, was that you on TV being a fag?"
Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #58
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Yeah.. dancing in pink shirts at oakridge isn't going to do shit all about bullying. Besides give the bullies a few good chuckles.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #59
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts
LUUUUUUUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #60
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
So it's true, churchill is 98% Asian.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #61
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
I remember in elementary school, i wanna say grade 6... so anyways i used to get picked on by this kid in grade 7 who was notably bigger than i was. so one day during lunch he was pushing me around and just generally trying to instigate something. i ignored it cause i was totally owning playing ball hockey at the time. i waited till after school when we were all walking home, like usual he tried to fuck with me. i guess i just snapped, i turned around and swung the stick with 2 hands (this was one of those easton aluminum ones) and just smoked him across the face, then proceeded to kicking the living shit out of him. after that day, he literally stopped bullying kids for good (or just stopped messing with me, i think)

i mean bullies in general probably have self confidence and low self esteem issues. they pick on others in attempt to prove some sort of physical or mental dominance over the people he/she is surrounded by. i'm sure they want to look 'cool' in the eyes of his/her friends too. the fact that other people most likely fear is something they enjoy. i'm sure there are more things that factor in.
the real only solution is to man the fuck up about the situation and deal with it. by not confronting them, it basically tells them that they can continue to pick on you without any repercussions.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo E View Post
the only reason rape isn't rampant, is because of the consequences you could face.

Look at Hurricane Katrina. people thought they were anonymous as the internet and did whatever the fuck they wanted. it was a lawless fucking free for all.

take away the fear of punishment and all hell breaks loose in the fucking united states even. a world power, first world nation.

within 2-3 weeks New Orleans became hell.

given a chance, people will act like the animals we all are but pretend that we aren't.

all animals feel the need to eat, fuck, and establish pecking order/dominate others.

back in the caveman days, it was needed. in today's society there is no place for it.

think of the UFC or MMA. people love watching other people fuck each other up. eventually we'll see arenas again like in ancient Rome.

people go nuts when they cant get out their aggressions/ frustrations so we pick fights. not to be a moron and beat on some big dude, bullys pick on the weaker kids.

i think im rambling off now...
You could even go as far as saying that bullying is part of natural selection. The weak will fall but we're in a way interrupting with nature! :O
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #63
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts
to make matters worse.. RIGHT after the song was over they were like

and put their jackets on.. hows that for spreading awareness
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #64
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
that's a sick picture.

and that's what you're supposed to do in a flash mob. Just peace it, like nothing happened.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #65
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
No. This was a highly idealized exercise that didn't do anything in the real world. In the end, NOTHING changed. Bullying is a highly complex psychological and social problem.

If anything, the douchebags at school the next day were like "hey, was that you on TV being a fag?"
I know that bullying is a highly complex and psychological and social problem.

Bullying is 1. a symptom of a larger problem not really the problem itself and 2. the target is also part of the problem not just a symptom (which no one wants to hear but is the truth none the less and the sooner we can own this part of the equation the faster we can deal with the problem) and 3. that problem is solvable.

There's some fantastic books and articles by various sociologists and psychologists on the evolutionary importance of group dynamics and I totally recommend people read them to have a better idea of why this shit happens and how to combat it.

Most bullying usually isn't about aggression but more about enforcing social norms. (There are what are called minority bullies but they're a smaller portion of bullies - these include kids with legitimate aggression issues usually they're defuse rather then targeted in their attacks though and they don't have the weight of the peer group behind them)

We see that when we put children in uniforms at school that there's an immediate drop in bullying. We see that shifting the group norm to make the bully the abnormal one immediately results in a drop in bullying behavior. We tend to see that when the bullied conform to the social norms the bullying lessens or disappears entirely. It's important to understand we're primates and as such we're conformist creatures who strive towards group cohesion. The bullied (or Target as they're called) presents a threat to or thumbs their nose at the norm completely. Unfortunately we're in an age where we want all our kids to be precious little snowflakes and as we put more value on individualism we see bullying behavior increase and become more extreme.

In this case since a large group went out and wore pink shirts and danced, they're not behaving 'abnormally' and unlikely to see any real heat unless their schools are absolutely huge and the group there represented only a very small portion of them. If only 1 or 2 of them had, that would be a WHOLE different story. Group norms shift like that so that on pink shirt day for example since EVERYONE wears a pink shirt it is more socially acceptable to do so than not to where as any other day wearing a pink shirt would be worthy of being bullied.

Unfortunately, most of our anti bullying programs fail because they treat the Bully as the only problem and fail to address the 1. Target as anything but a hapless victim for fear of treading on their individuality or damaging their self esteem 2. the group norms support the bullying and cast out the Target and 3. tend to further isolate the Target rather then integrate them into the group which actually makes the bullying worse. Where as programs that shift group norms to tolerate the Target, not the Bully or that encourage the Target to conform to group norms are the most effective.

tl;dr - Group dynamics are the issue. Not just the bully themselves.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #66
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Many of you are missing the point and I'm particularly jaded that some of you are criticizing something that took obviously a lot of organization and practice.

I did some acting in elementary and high school so I understand what a thrill it can be when you do something in front of an appreciative audience. Instead, we have people in here who put down these kids for doing something interesting and entertaining. No, it's not going to change the world, but why can't we just admire the effort and energy of these kids? If anything, I'm sure the event provided a great deal of self-esteem to a lot these youngsters which is something they'll need as they go out into the real world.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #67
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Many of you are missing the point and I'm particularly jaded that some of you are criticizing something that took obviously a lot of organization and practice.

I did some acting in elementary and high school so I understand what a thrill it can be when you do something in front of an appreciative audience. Instead, we have people in here who put down these kids for doing something interesting and entertaining. No, it's not going to change the world, but why can't we just admire the effort and energy of these kids? If anything, I'm sure the event provided a great deal of self-esteem to a lot these youngsters which is something they'll need as they go out into the real world.
I understand your point of view and I don't believe anyone is actually putting down these kids.

The point is that they are trying to convey the idea that they are doing something to help bullying when in fact they are not.

In fact, we are deillusioning these kids in thinking we can solve realworld complex problems using idealogical methods that don't work.

You want to do something fun, put on a show for people, do something in public, sure, that's great.

But don't get the wrong idea from it, and I think these kids may in fact get the wrong idea from it. They are going to go home thinking "today I helped contribute to a bullying solution!", when really it should "we did flashmob today at a Oakridge, it was fun!"

You want these kids to actually help society? Have them volunteer at a soup kitchen. Visit some old folks home and have them talk with people there. Go to the beach and clean up garbage. Do something nice for terminally ill children. etc etc.

I can respect the flashmob for what it is, but in the end I do think it's a waste of energy and time, and doing the kids a great disservice in the long run if they are taught this is a way of solving problems, as opposed to just having fun.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #68

^
This is true, as I mentioned earlier the majority of the audience surrounding the "event" appear to be friends and family there to drop off and pick up their kids. They're pretty much watching a performance. I'm willing to say its not much different from kids dancing on stage in a school gym except this took place in the middle of the mall. What separates this from a dance in a school gym other than location?

funny how one simple dance resulted in all this

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.

Last edited by The_AK; 02-09-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #69
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,423 Times in 5,685 Posts
somone needs to bully those geeks, the cool kids got no time for flash-mob's, they be out smokin blunts ya heard
Old 02-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #70
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I understand your point of view and I don't believe anyone is actually putting down these kids.

The point is that they are trying to convey the idea that they are doing something to help bullying when in fact they are not.

In fact, we are deillusioning these kids in thinking we can solve realworld complex problems using idealogical methods that don't work.

You want to do something fun, put on a show for people, do something in public, sure, that's great.

But don't get the wrong idea from it, and I think these kids may in fact get the wrong idea from it. They are going to go home thinking "today I helped contribute to a bullying solution!", when really it should "we did flashmob today at a Oakridge, it was fun!"

You want these kids to actually help society? Have them volunteer at a soup kitchen. Visit some old folks home and have them talk with people there. Go to the beach and clean up garbage. Do something nice for terminally ill children. etc etc.

I can respect the flashmob for what it is, but in the end I do think it's a waste of energy and time, and doing the kids a great disservice in the long run if they are taught this is a way of solving problems, as opposed to just having fun.
Some posters here are indeed putting down these kids, it's hard to miss.

As someone who does volunteer regularly with the ill, underprivileged and disabled, I have to disagree with your assessment about how useless the flashmob is. Kids aren't dumb, I doubt the majority of them will go home thinking they changed the world. Either way, people forget the power of awareness and recognition, particularly with an issue like bullying that stems from the social consciousness kids/teens.

By working together and participating, it's not unreasonable to think that they've gained a deeper appreciation of bullying problems... and hey maybe down the line when those elementary kids enter highschool and see bullying, they'll have the courage to stand up for their peers and help stop bullying directly.
yoghurtfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #71
Need my Daily Fix of RS

bullying is nothing compared to back in the days where a bigger kid pushed around a small skinny kid . now you see teenagers running around with mace , batons and shit , and the funny thing is they would hang out at the mall with 30 people just loitering and just a little glance they would say " the fuck you starin at " than stare you down to intimidate and start some shit . most likely take your clothing's or the usual " YOU WANT BEEF" "
soowu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #72
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Oh really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmatic View Post
That was beyond super gay...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluk View Post
it was like the same 3 moves for 5mins. Boooooooring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soowu View Post
fuck id love to be the dick and just run in there and fuck everything up
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post

burn oakridge down mothafuka

that was extremely gay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnova86 View Post
i wouldve just run in there and push some of the dancers over just to troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
I rest my case.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #73
I bringith the lowerballerith

Hey guys, this video has raised my awareness and made me realize that i am a bully. From now on ill try not to bully the weaker kids.
Thanks for those that have danced to help me realize this fact. It surely has raised my awareness and has stopped at least 1 bullying incident

problem ?

/end thread.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #74
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,835 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Oh really?

I rest my case.

count it

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #75
Need to Seek Professional Help

Last edited by m!chael; 11-05-2018 at 09:57 PM.
m!chael is offline   Reply With Quote