REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 10-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #1626
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by joquio View Post
Screen resolution was the only reason (ok, and all the plastic) I sold the phone.
Got spoiled by iPhone 4's high res screen and now lower res screens really get me.
But there is a hope with Nexus Prime with 720p screen and metal body
I've said it in this post already, but I'll say it again.

I used to think Metal materials are better, but this is what I realized after getting the SGS2 (my first plastic build phone).
- Metal is heavier
- Metal dents
- Metal scratches easily
- Metal is more expensive (which ultimately means higher prices for us)
- Metal is often one piece, thus making repairs and replacement parts more difficult/impossible.
- Metal is slippery to hold.
- and although i have no scientific evidence, I think Metal causes poorer signal reception.

These are all probably reasons why HTC has decided they will gradually switch from metal chassis to plastic.

The more I think about it, the more i don't understand why I was so infatuated with metal build materials in the past and made phone choices based on its build material. Maybe it was the marketers that told me metal = better. Or maybe it was the weight that made me feel like I was holding something important or valuable.

Whatever it was, I'm just glad I no longer have to worry about the phone in my pocket pulling my sweat pants down.

With that said, I still won't "avoid" metal...but it's no longer a deciding factor for me when I choose my next phone.
Advertisement
Eclypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #1627
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,228 Times in 171 Posts

I find the gradient banding extremely irritating. Again, I'm not knocking the phone's build quality, luminosity, etc - it is a phenomenal phone. But this issue really cheapens the viewing experience for me, no matter how fast the phone performs or how bright, big, and colour rich the screen is. It's like the difference between projection and HD. I'd rather have a smaller HDTV than a giant projection monitor.
Powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #1628
I subscribe to Revscene

And in the phone's defense, I read a couple comments over at XDA-Developers:

Quote:
I think everyone already concluded this was a system driver issue. Apps that address screen through that system driver (that is most native apps, like the browser or the large battery icon on screen off) will show banding. Apps that address screen directly (video players and some third party browsers) will show fine gradients perfectly.

Why Samsung is doing this bit-change in the main driver is not clear - either to save battery, or it is just a bug.
Even so, I don't want to have to start messing around with drivers and all that bullshit - it's one of the reasons I left PCs for Macs in the first place. I just want my equipment to work reliably and be of high quality. And yes, I understand you pay for that. But after $600 for the SGS2 I'm just not satisfied.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #1629
無敵

Yeah, I noticed the gradient thing too, it makes everything look so ugly. =/
My old x10 didn't have this problem. =[

muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #1630
How I Mod your mother

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think you guys are making it a bigger issue than it actually is. There's always going to be SOMETHING you dont like about a phone, but to varying degrees.
Look at it this way, would you rather be paying the same price for the iphone's "retina" display but "older" technology just so you're not viewing tiny imperfections?
(When I say older, I mean the fact that apple JUST caught up)

Could it be that the images/whatever you're viewing arent optimized for viewing on the SAMOLED+?
Looking at the stock wallpapers that come with the phone, they're crystal clear

I'm just saying that overall, its a very minor issue.
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #1631
無敵

It's not that big of a deal, but default icons and things look somewhere between 16bit and 32bit color, which is kinda lame, considering everything else is pretty great.

muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #1632
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclypz View Post
I've said it in this post already, but I'll say it again.

I used to think Metal materials are better, but this is what I realized after getting the SGS2 (my first plastic build phone).
- Metal is heavier Subjective, I like the weight and overall more solid feel of metal. firmer grip too.
- Metal dents So does plastic
- Metal scratches easily If it is glossy plastic, that will scratch even more easily
- Metal is more expensive (which ultimately means higher prices for us) Marginal, Galaxy S2 is more expensive than HTC Sensation for example.
- Metal is often one piece, thus making repairs and replacement parts more difficult/impossible. Again, it depends. Nokia E71? it was just a matter of replacing the battery door.
- Metal is slippery to hold. No, glossy plastic is a lot more slippery
- and although i have no scientific evidence, I think Metal causes poorer signal reception. This I am not sure, but maybe you have this deception because of the iPhone 4 antenna fiasco?

These are all probably reasons why HTC has decided they will gradually switch from metal chassis to plastic.

The more I think about it, the more i don't understand why I was so infatuated with metal build materials in the past and made phone choices based on its build material. Maybe it was the marketers that told me metal = better. Or maybe it was the weight that made me feel like I was holding something important or valuable.

Whatever it was, I'm just glad I no longer have to worry about the phone in my pocket pulling my sweat pants down.

With that said, I still won't "avoid" metal...but it's no longer a deciding factor for me when I choose my next phone.

^^^my response.

Metal>Plastic anyday, everyday for me.
The Galaxy S2 wasn't bad for a plastic phone. It was actually quite solid but the toyish weight makes me feel like I'm holding a dummy phone.
Actually I am often paranoid about breaking the phone in half when I have it in my front pocket and I try to get into my car or sitting with my legs propped up.

Unlike some who shall present and loudly proclaim "Have at it master!"
joquio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #1633
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Yaminashi View Post
Could it be that the images/whatever you're viewing arent optimized for viewing on the SAMOLED+?
Looking at the stock wallpapers that come with the phone, they're crystal clear
I agree with you, but that's just the nature of the Android market - they aren't optimizing apps for SAMOLED+, there are so many other phones in which this wont be an issue. And why go back and re-work your graphics just for one phone?
This is another reason I do not like the Android market concept without any standards enforcement. Why do I have to deal through the lower quality graphics because the OS and Apps haven't or won't catch up? In that case, is this super hardware machine of the SGS2 even properly placed? Should it have waited until this was sorted before being released?

And just because the Iphone may be playing catch up specs wise and the Retina display may be 'old tech', it still seems to do things more effectively.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #1634

Quote:
Originally Posted by joquio View Post
^^^my response.

Metal>Plastic anyday, everyday for me.
The Galaxy S2 wasn't bad for a plastic phone. It was actually quite solid but the toyish weight makes me feel like I'm holding a dummy phone.
Actually I am often paranoid about breaking the phone in half when I have it in my front pocket and I try to get into my car or sitting with my legs propped up.
It is much easier to dent metal than plastic. Plastic is flexible - it bends, and then pops back...there are obviously limits, but saying "plastic dents" is a bit of a stretch. Drop a plastic cup vs a metal pop can, and tell me which one dents. However, plastic will crack if there is enough force.

As for plastic scratching..sure...it scratches...but look on the back of any iPod touch and tell me metal doesn't scratch easier. Heck..if i still had pictures of my HTC Desire Z, I'd show how scratched up the back of it was from just everyday use (no abuse). The back of my SGS2? flawless.....

As for the reception issue...no...I'm not basing it on iPhone antenna issues. Like I mentioned in the beginning of my post, I used to be a "metal construction believer", but I quickly realized all my metal Chassis phones had crap reception. I'm no expert, but in my head, it makes sense how its possible an antenna enclosed in metal has weaker signal strength than one inside plastic. Some argue the entire metal chassis would act as a "signal booster", but not from my experience.

Don't get me wrong, I understand it's a preference, and I am not trying to change that. But I just thought I'd share what I realized after trying out a plastic phone for once.
Eclypz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #1635
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclypz View Post
It is much easier to dent metal than plastic. Plastic is flexible - it bends, and then pops back...there are obviously limits, but saying "plastic dents" is a bit of a stretch. Drop a plastic cup vs a metal pop can, and tell me which one dents.

As for plastic scratching..sure...it scratches...but look on the back of any iPod touch and tell me metal doesn't scratch easier. Heck..if i still had pictures of my HTC Desire Z, I'd show how scratched up the back of it was from just everyday use (no abuse). The back of my SGS2? flawless.....

As for the reception issue...no...I'm not basing it on iPhone antenna issues. Like I mentioned in the beginning of my post, I used to be a "metal construction believer", but I quickly realized all my metal Chassis phones had crap reception. I'm no expert, but in my head, it makes sense how its possible an antenna enclosed in metal has weaker signal strength than one inside plastic. Some argue the entire metal chassis would act as a "signal booster", but not from my experience.

Don't get me wrong, I understand it's a preference, and I am not trying to change that. But I just thought I'd share what I realized after trying out a plastic phone for once.

yeah it's all good. Not trying to pick a fight. Just trying to have a serious debate.

I understand your example of plastic cup vs metal pop but try dropping plastic phone vs metal body phone. In my experience plastic phones always get more marks, dents etc. when dropped a road/rough surface. Just think about that, plastic is much less "dense" and structurally weaker.

So yeah, glossy anything scratches more easily

Unlike some who shall present and loudly proclaim "Have at it master!"
joquio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #1636
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
sg2 is available for preorder on rogers right now.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #1637
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
wtf my bench mark is 2.2 =[ what do
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #1638

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
does anyone know my text messages are.dated 4 hours late? For example if i receive a text at 5 it would display that it was received at 1........wtf
Posted via RS Mobile
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #1639

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
does anyone know my text messages are.dated 4 hours late? For example if i receive a text at 5 it would display that it was received at 1........wtf
Posted via RS Mobile
Are you using a custom rom? It's a time stamp issue. Download SMS Time Fix app or change your rom if you're on a custom rom.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #1640
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
k looking for another rom. Any suggestions?
Posted via RS Mobile
Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #1641
Got MOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
k looking for another rom. Any suggestions?
Posted via RS Mobile
CM7? MIUI? Lightning? There's lots lol.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #1642

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Are you using a custom rom? It's a time stamp issue. Download SMS Time Fix app or change your rom if you're on a custom rom.
Nope, im using the Bell ROM that was just rooted. I downloaded the sms time fix app and it worked like a champ.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:54 AM   #1643
I AM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 294 Posts
telus is getting the sg2 i think next week and surprisingly it will work with wind/mobilicity...looks like im switching to sg2/mobilicity lol
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #1644

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
^Where'd you hear that from? It has Pentaband?
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #1645

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
I hope people understand that these other versions coming out on other networks are NOT the same device. They are technically downgrades of the Bell (original) Samsung Galaxy S II i9100. Roger's is getting a downgraded version and I don't see why Telus wouldn't be getting the same...I would not hold my breathe for these carriers receiving the legit version of the phone that most people in this thread have.

The Telus version Hercules is the closest thing to the SGS2 but one of the best features of this phone is the screen and having a larger screen with the same resolution will make this screen inferior to the SGS2. High speed data features are a side thing and in most cases are carrier dependant.

Last edited by parm104; 10-08-2011 at 01:08 AM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #1646
I AM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
^Where'd you hear that from? It has Pentaband?
was looking through this Please bring the Samsung Hercules (Galaxy II) to Wind
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #1647

I actually agree with people's perspective regarding the iphone 4 retina display is better than the samoled+.

Side by side comparison of the same picture with my sgs2 and my bro's iphone4, his is definitely sharper.

I've had my phone for a day and I've got a lot to learn still, im completely new to Android. Maybe ill try some samoled+ optimized wallpapers and test it out on both phones again.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #1648
How I Mod your mother

Sure its sharper, the pixel density is higher!
But imo, the samoled+ has better contrast and vibrancy
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #1649
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
went with cognition s2. i'll see how battery life is

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #1650