REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 07-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #176
Got MOD?

Too bad neither of those have samoled plus. The processor beats the down the sensation as well.
Advertisement
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #177
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Yup that's why I am skipping the first gen dual cores
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #178
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang:7496221
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongy View Post
Where is that?
Posted via RS Mobile

Mobile DNA in lansdowne.

My buddy just got his there on contact or you can buy outright for $740
Do you know how much it cost on contract?
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
hongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #179
Rs has made me the man i am today!

The promotion they have right now is $200 for a one year contract (canada day special)

Or

$150 on a 3 year contract
cctw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #180
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctw View Post
The promotion they have right now is $200 for a one year contract (canada day special)

Or

$150 on a 3 year contract
I saw that too, and what I was wondering is, since cancellation fees are usually proportionate to the time remaining on the contract...What kind of fees would one incur here if they were to cancel the 1 year contract?

I can't imagine it being over $200 :s
Old 07-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #181
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
I am not too sure.

But my thoughts on the s2..... This is my first android phone, prior I have had every iPhone.

At this moment I have a s2, iphone 4 and a Torch.

The torch is a piece of shit I only use it for BBM due to work.
The iPhone has always been my favorite phone because I like the way it works and the app store is spectacular.
The s2 is extremely fast but not THAT big of a difference between an iPhone 4 of course its noticeable but its not enough for me to get rid of the iPhone.
The android app store is no where as organized and as good as the iPhone 4 and doesn't have many apps but the main ones that I use on iPhone is in the marketplace as well.
The brightness sucks on the s2 even though its maxed out but you can tell Samsung sacrificed brightness for color which is extremely noticeable and I love the iPhone 4's brightness a lot better.
The s2 comes with way too fucking many programs that are useless and not needed... compared to what iPhone and Blackberry offers off that bat.
The androids gmail app sucks but its fast...and the email app on it is a lot better but slow.

Lots of other things I need to notice when I use it more.

As a phone the s2 is great but perhaps I am biased due to using an iPhone for so long
Also the music store sucks shit on the Android.

my 2 cents.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #182
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff19 View Post
^ yah been looking at comparisons vids between the two and snapdragons really can't match the speed of samsung's exonys chips. the only advantage the sensation has is its build quality and some ppl prefer the sense UI.
Build quality is subjective. I had 2 HTC phones (Dream & Desire Z) before I eventually picked up a SGS2.

A lot of people assume plastic = bad build quality. I think most people picture the cheap, hard, creaky plastic that cracks easily. I can assure you that the SGS2 does not use the cheap stuff. It's soft and flexible:

But after owning my first plastic phone, I've realized that the use of more plastic materials has it's benefits.
1) the weight savings. Not only is it lighter to carry, it's also flexible, thus absorbing impacts instead of resisting them.
2) Plastic also doesn't scratch as easily. (You should have seen the metal battery cover on my DesireZ from just resting it on table tops)
3)* This is just an observation with no scientific evidence, but, I think the use of a metal shell reduces cellular signal strength - Somehow my SGS2 is able to get reception where both my HTC phones couldn't. I'm no expert, but somehow, in my head, this makes sense.

As for the whole HTC Sense UI thing: I liked it while I was using it, but now that I'm off SenseUI, I can't say that I miss it.
Eclypz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2011, 03:12 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
I am not too sure.

But my thoughts on the s2..... This is my first android phone, prior I have had every iPhone.

The iPhone has always been my favorite phone because I like the way it works and the app store is spectacular.
The s2 is extremely fast but not THAT big of a difference between an iPhone 4 of course its noticeable but its not enough for me to get rid of the iPhone.
The android app store is no where as organized and as good as the iPhone 4 and doesn't have many apps but the main ones that I use on iPhone is in the marketplace as well.
The brightness sucks on the s2 even though its maxed out but you can tell Samsung sacrificed brightness for color which is extremely noticeable and I love the iPhone 4's brightness a lot better.
The s2 comes with way too fucking many programs that are useless and not needed... compared to what iPhone and Blackberry offers off that bat.
The androids gmail app sucks but its fast...and the email app on it is a lot better but slow.

As a phone the s2 is great but perhaps I am biased due to using an iPhone for so long

my 2 cents.
If you're expecting an iPhone, it's not. Android definitely isn't for everybody.
Just because it does something differently than iOS, it doesn't make it worse. When we're used to using something and am familiar with the way things work, we tend to compare, and if it's not what we're used to, it's labelled negatively.

For example, iOS users love their iTunes, however, I frickin hate iTunes, iOS and how it manages music. I'm a simple drag and drop guy. I don't like organizing my music by Artist, then Album, and then setting up playlists to play the songs I feel like listening to.

I'm old school. I create folders by genre and date, (i.e. "HouseMix-2011-06", or "90s R&B"), and dump all the corresponding music in there. And when I want to put that music onto my phone, I plug it in as USB mounted drive, drag n' drop.
To me, this makes sense, and I don't need a 300MB app + bloatware to do it.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #184
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclypz View Post
If you're expecting an iPhone, it's not. Android definitely isn't for everybody.
Just because it does something differently than iOS, it doesn't make it worse. When we're used to using something and am familiar with the way things work, we tend to compare, and if it's not what we're used to, it's labelled negatively.

For example, iOS users love their iTunes, however, I frickin hate iTunes, iOS and how it manages music. I'm a simple drag and drop guy. I don't like organizing my music by Artist, then Album, and then setting up playlists to play the songs I feel like listening to.

I'm old school. I create folders by genre and date, (i.e. "HouseMix-2011-06", or "90s R&B"), and dump all the corresponding music in there. And when I want to put that music onto my phone, I plug it in as USB mounted drive, drag n' drop.
To me, this makes sense, and I don't need a 300MB app + bloatware to do it.

Oh of course, thats why I said I am biased due to using it for so long. But My work pays for everything I buy and use on the phone and buying songs on the android market SUCKS where on iTunes its done so nicely and setup so nicely.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #185
Got MOD?

Quote:
I am not too sure.

my 2 cents.
Brightness too low? Wow. On my Galaxy S I keep the brightness at the lowest and I still find that too bright sometimes.

Also programs can be erased. Music store is in it's infancy so I expect it won't be as good for now.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #186
How I Mod your mother

Damn that review makes it sound like youre a little disappointed with the phone
Posted via RS Mobile
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #187
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Wth android has a music store?
Posted via RS Mobile
hongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #188

My Genuine Samsung case finally arrived.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Samsung-i9100-Galaxy-Black/dp/B0050N42QU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309579463&sr=8-2

My quick review:

PROs:
- Keeps the phone thin, yet adds enough thickness so its easier to hold. The SGS2 is so thin and wide, that it's easy for it to twist out of your grip.
- Adds more grip
- Vented to prevent the "oven effect" that some cases cause (those that own this phone will know how hot this phone can get under long periods of high load)
- Lip around camera lens to protect it
- Lip around the screen to protect the screen when it's face down.
- Not made of cheap plastic....its like a grippy plastic (not as grippy as those phone condoms, though)

CONs:
- Pricey for what it is, but I guess that's expected for Genuine Samsung Accessories.
- Had to order all the way from UK because I couldn't find a local retailer here that sells it.
- No bumper protection on the top and bottom. Only side bumpers.
- When the phone only weighs 116g, this case adds roughly 15-20% more weight.
- This case probably won't do much for "drop protection".

Last edited by Eclypz; 07-01-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Yaminashi View Post
Damn that review makes it sound like youre a little disappointed with the phone
Posted via RS Mobile
He's an iphone user. Their "reviews" are meaningless
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #190
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclypz View Post
My Genuine Samsung case finally arrived.
Genuine Samsung i9100 Galaxy S 2 II Black Cool Vent: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

My quick review:

PROs:
- Keeps the phone thin, yet adds enough thickness so its easier to hold. The SGS2 is so thin and wide, that it's easy for it to twist out of your grip.
- Adds more grip
- Vented to prevent the "oven effect" that some cases cause (those that own this phone will know how hot this phone can get under long periods of high load)
- Lip around camera lens to protect it
- Lip around the screen to protect the screen when it's face down.
- Not made of cheap plastic....its like a grippy plastic (not as grippy as those phone condoms, though)

CONs:
- Pricey for what it is, but I guess that's expected for Genuine Samsung Accessories.
- Had to order all the way from UK because I couldn't find a local retailer here that sells it.
- No bumper protection on the top and bottom. Only side bumpers.
- When the phone only weighs 116g, this case adds roughly 15-20% more weight.
- This case probably won't do much for "drop protection".

I found that on my SGS 1 Captivate, that the case everybody ranted and raved about, while very very good wasn't perfect. They talked about the Body Glove case like it was THE case to get. But when I got it, the fit was just a bit loose for my tastes, especially around the edges. I bought a $2 case off of ebay, one of these.

You're going to be hard pressed to convince me not to buy a cheapy TPU case off ebay. Very hard. It's snug, more stiff, and the cutouts are spot on in size.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #191
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I played around with one of these yesterday at a store. It seemed really laggy and slow considering the specs.
Dont know if you did this but

a tip:
Close everything via task manager and also Organize Memory in the Ram management menu.
R-U-Retarded? is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #192

Quote:
I am not too sure.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:18 AM   #193
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
fido's not gonna get this right?
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:28 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-U-Retarded? View Post
Dont know if you did this but

a tip:
Close everything via task manager and also Organize Memory in the Ram management menu.
Since you're just a troll account, I am not going to bother explaining how wrong you are.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:20 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Since you're just a troll account, I am not going to bother explaining how wrong you are.
r u saying that closing everything on task manager and organizing the ram memory has ZERO effect on the speed of the phone?
Old 07-02-2011, 04:39 AM   #196

Yes. Google it. If anything, task managers/ram cleaners make Android slower.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2011, 05:42 AM   #197

ok then i am a dumbass for doing it religiously.... -.-
Old 07-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #198

Not dumb, just ignorant. If you keep doing it now that you know better, that would be dumb
Old 07-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #199
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
i love my nexus one, but this seems really tempting.

my friend is gonna get one. gonna activate one for him.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #200
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
i love my nexus one, but this seems really tempting.

my friend is gonna get one. gonna activate one for him.
I just got rid of my Nexus One after having it for 1+ years. I've never used a phone for that long! I'm waiting for Bell to release the Galaxy S2 so the market price drops and will be picking it up.

How come you never decided to upgrade to the Nexus S?