REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Financial identity theft (https://www.revscene.net/forums/637676-financial-identity-theft.html)

soowu 02-14-2011 02:05 PM

Financial identity theft

Theres this man that has been scavenging my mail for the past week . i have a set of cameras but most of the time my parents arent home so theres nothing i can really do to stop him from going through our mail . my plan is to get a few older people who that i trust to stay over for a few days and if we see him on the camera , i plan on macing him and beating him till he is restrained and call the police . is that appropriate will i be charged with any assault ?.

and my moms visa that is suppose to arrive is apparently missing and 1000$ of gas credit was used . and they called my mom informing her that 1g was used but my mom refused of using the credit .

please i need help immediately :crybaby:

Jsunu 02-14-2011 02:10 PM

Yeah don't mace -> beat - > restrain.... you will be charged with more than assault :s.

Can't you just inform the police of which this individual is doing?

subwoffers 02-14-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soowu (Post 7305028)
Theres this man that has been scavenging my mail for the past week . i have a set of cameras but most of the time my parents arent home so theres nothing i can really do to stop him from going through our mail . my plan is to get a few older people who that i trust to stay over for a few days and if we see him on the camera , i plan on macing him and beating him till he is restrained and call the police . is that appropriate will i be charged with any assault ?.

and my moms visa that is suppose to arrive is apparently missing and 1000$ of gas credit was used . and they called my mom informing her that 1g was used but my mom refused of using the credit .

please i need help immediately :crybaby:

Are you like 12?

Tegra_Devil 02-14-2011 02:20 PM

once your garabage is on public roads, its a free for all

soowu 02-14-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsunu (Post 7305032)
Yeah don't mace -> beat - > restrain.... you will be charged with more than assault :s.

Can't you just inform the police of which this individual is doing?

the thing is that we have no way to identify this man

soowu 02-14-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil (Post 7305055)
once your garabage is on public roads, its a free for all

my mail box is not a garbage can

subwoffers 02-14-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soowu (Post 7305056)
the thing is that we have no way to identify this man

So when he shows up to do it again, call the cops and take pictures of him. Anymore more and you're going to get charged with something. Detain him at your own risk.

TheNewGirl 02-14-2011 02:22 PM

Take photos, call the police. You will have his finger prints on your mail and mail box if he's rummaging too. Don't touch anything in there after he does it.

soowu 02-14-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subwoffers (Post 7305060)
So when he shows up to do it again, call the cops and take pictures of him. Anymore more and you're going to get charged with something. Detain him at your own risk.

but isnt he trespassing and he's stealing shit from my property . does that no give me a reason to stop him at the moment and than get help from police? but i'll take your advice for now thanks

Nicotine 02-14-2011 02:26 PM

stick a big mouse trap in your mail box with a note saying: stay the fuck out!!

soowu 02-14-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGirl (Post 7305062)
Take photos, call the police. You will have his finger prints on your mail and mail box if he's rummaging too. Don't touch anything in there after he does it.

thats the difficult part because we also have 2 other people who rent the basement . i saw the theft on my camera once but i didnt have time to react , he rang the doorbell to see if anyone was home and than he went thru the mail and ran before i can even get down the stairs

subwoffers 02-14-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soowu (Post 7305067)
but isnt he trespassing and he's stealing shit from my property . does that no give me a reason to stop him at the moment and than get help from police? but i'll take your advice for now thanks

Yes he is. That still does not grant you the right to use force on him. I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is in our justice system. Unless your life is in danger you have to react proportionately.

If someone punches you and you knock him out with a hay-maker, the moment you kick him while he's down you're down down for assault.

What I would do is call the non-emergency number and talk to a cop and have a report made before he comes back and ask them what you should do next time he comes back. They will tell you the exact same thing, but build a report/history with them.

soowu 02-14-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subwoffers (Post 7305075)
Yes he is. That still does not grant you the right to use force on him. I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is in our justice system. Unless your life is in danger you have to react proportionately.

If someone punches you and you knock him out with a hay-maker, the moment you kick him while he's down you're down down for assault.

What I would do is call the non-emergency number and talk to a cop and have a report made before he comes back and ask them what you should do next time he comes back. They will tell you the exact same thing, but build a report/history with them.

but wat he did is no different than someone going into my house stealing what ever is in there . im not gonna stand there and call the police , i have to do something atleast

subwoffers 02-14-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soowu (Post 7305081)
but wat he did is no different than someone going into my house stealing what ever is in there . im not gonna stand there and call the police , i have to do something atleast

It is different because he's not entering your home which puts you in direct danger.

He's outside screwing with your mail. It sucks, I know.

Like I said, you can do whatever you want but I warn you now that you're opening a door to some big consequences. Let's look at it this way, you have a lot more to lose if you get charged with something and get a criminal background which may screw with employment than the lowlife dicking with your mail.

Never wrestle with a pig, you'll both get dirty. The difference is the pig will like it.

Anyways, if you walked out there while he's doing it and took some pictures of him, you think he would come back for more?

soowu 02-14-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subwoffers (Post 7305090)
It is different because he's not entering your home which puts you in direct danger.

He's outside screwing with your mail. It sucks, I know.

Like I said, you can do whatever you want but I warn you now that you're opening a door to some big consequences. Let's look at it this way, you have a lot more to lose if you get charged with something and get a criminal background which may screw with employment than the lowlife dicking with your mail.

Never wrestle with a pig, you'll both get dirty. The difference is the pig will like it.

Anyways, if you walked out there while he's doing it and took some pictures of him, you think he would come back for more?

alright thanks man , props for lots of help :)

97ITR 02-14-2011 02:43 PM

Is he just stealing your mail or is he doing the same to your neighbors? Regardless, you should alert your neighbors so you can all lookout for him. Also, look into getting a mailbox that can lock or getting a mail slot installed. I know you want some sort of retribution but getting into legal trouble isn't going to be worth it.

Tegra_Devil 02-14-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soowu (Post 7305058)
my mail box is not a garbage can

my mistake

Berzerker 02-14-2011 02:50 PM

OP Your porch is still your property and it is just the same as if he entered your house. I would say club him and hold him there for police. Don't do to much damage and you will be ok. If you can just tackle him and restrain him that would be best. Yes I am serious. If you have a fenced yard that's even better as it shows a direct violation of property. Also getting it all on camera will further help your case but like I said don't do to much damage. You can do a "little" bit in order to subdue him but don't go overboard.

Good luck and post up the vid when you get this fucker.

Berz out.

soowu 02-14-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 7305123)
OP Your porch is still your property and it is just the same as if he entered your house. I would say club him and hold him there for police. Don't do to much damage and you will be ok. If you can just tackle him and restrain him that would be best. Yes I am serious. If you have a fenced yard that's even better as it shows a direct violation of property. Also getting it all on camera will further help your case but like I said don't do to much damage. You can do a "little" bit in order to subdue him but don't go overboard.

Good luck and post up the vid when you get this fucker.

Berz out.

yeah my mail box is by my door but my house is not fenced . if i just maced him and hold him down until police came would that be okay. cause tackling him will just lead into a fight.

soowu 02-14-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97ITR (Post 7305103)
Is he just stealing your mail or is he doing the same to your neighbors? Regardless, you should alert your neighbors so you can all lookout for him. Also, look into getting a mailbox that can lock or getting a mail slot installed. I know you want some sort of retribution but getting into legal trouble isn't going to be worth it.

that would be a good idea but again i have people who rent the basement and need to get there mail too .

Berzerker 02-14-2011 03:01 PM

Do NOT mace him. That is actually illegal and assault. Like I said tackle and subdue. It may lead to a fight but if there are enough people it shouldn't be to bad. Do like you said and gather up a posse. Make sure you get him going through your mail BEFORE you grab him though.

Berz out.

optiblue 02-14-2011 03:01 PM

shread

subwoffers 02-14-2011 03:03 PM

Guys guys guys....

You're opening up a HUGE door to a lawsuit over some fucking mail. I'm not trying to down play what he did, but you're asking for A LOT of trouble you don't need.

First, do you have proof he's stealing from you such as video evidence? If you maced him and he says he was not stealing, it's your word against his and he will sue your ass for bodily harm.

He is committing burglary on you by stealing your mail but for the love of god you can't mace him/ beat him for it.

You can use reasonable and necessary force to make an arrest of someone who commits a crime in your presence, and then must deliver them up to the nearest magistrate. You can use reasonable and necessary force to prevent unlawful immediate bodily harm to yourself. If you are asking if cops, prosecutors, judges and juries are required to believe you when you claim to have acted in self-defense, the answer is no.

This can go over the way you imagined it and you'll feel like superman, or you can land yourself a bunch of charges and crim. background over some mail.

But it sounds like you already made up your mind so I'll say no more.

Berzerker 02-14-2011 03:05 PM

That's exactly what I said. Don't do to much damage and hold him there until cops come.

Do NOT mace him and don't use any weapons. You can rough him to detain him but that's about it. I've done it so I now how lenient the cops can be.

Berz out.

Phat_R 02-14-2011 03:07 PM

I say baseball bat to the head