REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Financial identity theft

Theres this man that has been scavenging my mail for the past week . i have a set of cameras but most of the time my parents arent home so theres nothing i can really do to stop him from going through our mail . my plan is to get a few older people who that i trust to stay over for a few days and if we see him on the camera , i plan on macing him and beating him till he is restrained and call the police . is that appropriate will i be charged with any assault ?.

and my moms visa that is suppose to arrive is apparently missing and 1000$ of gas credit was used . and they called my mom informing her that 1g was used but my mom refused of using the credit .

please i need help immediately
Advertisement
soowu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Yeah don't mace -> beat - > restrain.... you will be charged with more than assault :s.

Can't you just inform the police of which this individual is doing?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by soowu View Post
Theres this man that has been scavenging my mail for the past week . i have a set of cameras but most of the time my parents arent home so theres nothing i can really do to stop him from going through our mail . my plan is to get a few older people who that i trust to stay over for a few days and if we see him on the camera , i plan on macing him and beating him till he is restrained and call the police . is that appropriate will i be charged with any assault ?.

and my moms visa that is suppose to arrive is apparently missing and 1000$ of gas credit was used . and they called my mom informing her that 1g was used but my mom refused of using the credit .

please i need help immediately

Are you like 12?
subwoffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
once your garabage is on public roads, its a free for all
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsunu View Post
Yeah don't mace -> beat - > restrain.... you will be charged with more than assault :s.

Can't you just inform the police of which this individual is doing?
the thing is that we have no way to identify this man
Old 02-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil View Post
once your garabage is on public roads, its a free for all
my mail box is not a garbage can
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #7

Quote:
the thing is that we have no way to identify this man
So when he shows up to do it again, call the cops and take pictures of him. Anymore more and you're going to get charged with something. Detain him at your own risk.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Take photos, call the police. You will have his finger prints on your mail and mail box if he's rummaging too. Don't touch anything in there after he does it.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoffers View Post
So when he shows up to do it again, call the cops and take pictures of him. Anymore more and you're going to get charged with something. Detain him at your own risk.
but isnt he trespassing and he's stealing shit from my property . does that no give me a reason to stop him at the moment and than get help from police? but i'll take your advice for now thanks
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 2,028 Times in 501 Posts
stick a big mouse trap in your mail box with a note saying: stay the fuck out!!
Nicotine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Take photos, call the police. You will have his finger prints on your mail and mail box if he's rummaging too. Don't touch anything in there after he does it.
thats the difficult part because we also have 2 other people who rent the basement . i saw the theft on my camera once but i didnt have time to react , he rang the doorbell to see if anyone was home and than he went thru the mail and ran before i can even get down the stairs
Old 02-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
but isnt he trespassing and he's stealing shit from my property . does that no give me a reason to stop him at the moment and than get help from police? but i'll take your advice for now thanks
Yes he is. That still does not grant you the right to use force on him. I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is in our justice system. Unless your life is in danger you have to react proportionately.

If someone punches you and you knock him out with a hay-maker, the moment you kick him while he's down you're down down for assault.

What I would do is call the non-emergency number and talk to a cop and have a report made before he comes back and ask them what you should do next time he comes back. They will tell you the exact same thing, but build a report/history with them.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Yes he is. That still does not grant you the right to use force on him. I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is in our justice system. Unless your life is in danger you have to react proportionately.

If someone punches you and you knock him out with a hay-maker, the moment you kick him while he's down you're down down for assault.

What I would do is call the non-emergency number and talk to a cop and have a report made before he comes back and ask them what you should do next time he comes back. They will tell you the exact same thing, but build a report/history with them.
but wat he did is no different than someone going into my house stealing what ever is in there . im not gonna stand there and call the police , i have to do something atleast
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #14

Quote:
but wat he did is no different than someone going into my house stealing what ever is in there . im not gonna stand there and call the police , i have to do something atleast
It is different because he's not entering your home which puts you in direct danger.

He's outside screwing with your mail. It sucks, I know.

Like I said, you can do whatever you want but I warn you now that you're opening a door to some big consequences. Let's look at it this way, you have a lot more to lose if you get charged with something and get a criminal background which may screw with employment than the lowlife dicking with your mail.

Never wrestle with a pig, you'll both get dirty. The difference is the pig will like it.

Anyways, if you walked out there while he's doing it and took some pictures of him, you think he would come back for more?
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
It is different because he's not entering your home which puts you in direct danger.

He's outside screwing with your mail. It sucks, I know.

Like I said, you can do whatever you want but I warn you now that you're opening a door to some big consequences. Let's look at it this way, you have a lot more to lose if you get charged with something and get a criminal background which may screw with employment than the lowlife dicking with your mail.

Never wrestle with a pig, you'll both get dirty. The difference is the pig will like it.

Anyways, if you walked out there while he's doing it and took some pictures of him, you think he would come back for more?

alright thanks man , props for lots of help
Old 02-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Is he just stealing your mail or is he doing the same to your neighbors? Regardless, you should alert your neighbors so you can all lookout for him. Also, look into getting a mailbox that can lock or getting a mail slot installed. I know you want some sort of retribution but getting into legal trouble isn't going to be worth it.
97ITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #17
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
my mail box is not a garbage can
my mistake
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
OP Your porch is still your property and it is just the same as if he entered your house. I would say club him and hold him there for police. Don't do to much damage and you will be ok. If you can just tackle him and restrain him that would be best. Yes I am serious. If you have a fenced yard that's even better as it shows a direct violation of property. Also getting it all on camera will further help your case but like I said don't do to much damage. You can do a "little" bit in order to subdue him but don't go overboard.

Good luck and post up the vid when you get this fucker.

Berz out.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #19
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
OP Your porch is still your property and it is just the same as if he entered your house. I would say club him and hold him there for police. Don't do to much damage and you will be ok. If you can just tackle him and restrain him that would be best. Yes I am serious. If you have a fenced yard that's even better as it shows a direct violation of property. Also getting it all on camera will further help your case but like I said don't do to much damage. You can do a "little" bit in order to subdue him but don't go overboard.

Good luck and post up the vid when you get this fucker.

Berz out.
yeah my mail box is by my door but my house is not fenced . if i just maced him and hold him down until police came would that be okay. cause tackling him will just lead into a fight.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #20
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ITR View Post
Is he just stealing your mail or is he doing the same to your neighbors? Regardless, you should alert your neighbors so you can all lookout for him. Also, look into getting a mailbox that can lock or getting a mail slot installed. I know you want some sort of retribution but getting into legal trouble isn't going to be worth it.
that would be a good idea but again i have people who rent the basement and need to get there mail too .
Old 02-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #21
Ricer Mod

Do NOT mace him. That is actually illegal and assault. Like I said tackle and subdue. It may lead to a fight but if there are enough people it shouldn't be to bad. Do like you said and gather up a posse. Make sure you get him going through your mail BEFORE you grab him though.

Berz out.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #22
Rs has made me the man i am today!

shread
Old 02-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #23

Guys guys guys....

You're opening up a HUGE door to a lawsuit over some fucking mail. I'm not trying to down play what he did, but you're asking for A LOT of trouble you don't need.

First, do you have proof he's stealing from you such as video evidence? If you maced him and he says he was not stealing, it's your word against his and he will sue your ass for bodily harm.

He is committing burglary on you by stealing your mail but for the love of god you can't mace him/ beat him for it.

You can use reasonable and necessary force to make an arrest of someone who commits a crime in your presence, and then must deliver them up to the nearest magistrate. You can use reasonable and necessary force to prevent unlawful immediate bodily harm to yourself. If you are asking if cops, prosecutors, judges and juries are required to believe you when you claim to have acted in self-defense, the answer is no.

This can go over the way you imagined it and you'll feel like superman, or you can land yourself a bunch of charges and crim. background over some mail.

But it sounds like you already made up your mind so I'll say no more.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #24
Ricer Mod

That's exactly what I said. Don't do to much damage and hold him there until cops come.

Do NOT mace him and don't use any weapons. You can rough him to detain him but that's about it. I've done it so I now how lenient the cops can be.

Berz out.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #25
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I say baseball bat to the head
2000 Acura Integra Type R #858 -- original owner
2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Phat_R is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: