REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Basketball star dies after winning shot in team's perfect season

Damn this is rough.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/04/mic....html?iref=NS1

Quote:
(CNN) -- The score was tied. The game was in overtime. The mood, electric.
Number 35 came charging up to the net and hit a last-moment winning layup for his undefeated Fennville High School Blackhawks to end the regular season Thursday night with a perfect 20 wins.

The other players hoisted their star, 16-year-old Wes Leonard, on their shoulders. The screaming crowd charged the court to hug him. It was the biggest moment in memory for the tiny Michigan town of Fennville.

And then it all turned to black.

Silence fell under the harsh glare of the florescent lights. Leonard lay still on the court, pale in his school colors. His family and coaches surrounded him. He wasn't breathing, his friend Arista Sauceda recalled. His heart had stopped cold.

After attempts to revive the varsity player in the gym, an ambulance transported him to nearby Holland Hospital. Doctors worked on him for an hour and 20 minutes.

They could not save him. By 10:40 at night, when Leonard should have been out celebrating with his classmates, he was dead.
An autopsy Friday determined that Leonard died of cardiac arrest due to an enlarged heart, said a statement from Dr. David A. Start, the Ottawa County chief medical examiner.

As news of Leonard's death spread, a small community on the banks of Lake Michigan convulsed in shock. A moment of enormous school pride was reduced to irrelevance, a moment of joy turned into the opposite.

A Facebook memorial page -- R.I.P. Wes Leonard -- created Friday, quickly filled with thoughts and prayers. "Blackhawk Down," the page said.

Sauceda described Leonard as an affable guy, popular for his smile and jokes. He excelled in athletics, scoring 1,000 career basketball points and playing quarterback for the school's football team.

She said Leonard's family moved to Fennville when he was in middle school. His mother, Jocelyn Leonard, teaches music and is the drama director at Fennville, and Sauceda said the family had helped bring the school community together.

Jocelyn Leonard had canceled Thursday night's performance of "How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying" because she wanted to watch her son play in the game, reported CNN affiliate WOOD. It was a make-up game to compensate for blizzard-canceled events last month.

Everyone had so looked forward to Thursday's game -- not only was it the last of an undefeated regular season, but it pitted Fennville against Bridgman, a school that beat them by just one point last year. It was revenge, as Sauceda put it.

Fennville was down 14 points but came back to tie the game at 53. Leonard scored his team's last four points for the 57-55 victory.
Sauceda had screamed her lungs out during the game. She was running toward Leonard to hug him when he went down.

Tim Breed, a spokesman for Holland Hospital and a 1977 Fennville graduate, was also in the gym. He doesn't normally attend games, but thought he could not miss his alma mater's perfect season closer.

When Leonard collapsed, the crowds were asked to leave the gym. Breed was on his way home when he was paged by a local newspaper reporter. He rushed to the hospital to find medical teams trying to resuscitate Leonard.
Shortly after that, a text message appeared on Sauceda's phone from a friend at the hospital. Sauceda was about to go to sleep. Instead, she was jolted awake, the shock so severe she wasn't even able to immediately cry.

In the morning, she stayed home from school. And wrote on Facebook:

"Wes, you were taken from our lives too soon ... you were the most amazing friend, I will never forget you, and how you have changed us all, I am so thankful to have been apart of your life. Please watch over us, and cheer us on as our boys win state! RIP # 35 WES LEONARD."
Advertisement
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
What a way to go.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
RIP
sad to hear a rising star... pushed himself too much
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Clutch, died as a champion.

Rule 1: You do not talk about Fight Club. Rule 2: You do not talk about Fight Club.
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Possible steroid use?
bengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Rip
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,550 Times in 463 Posts
The Grim Reaper must have been rooting for the other team and got really salty.

R.I.P. !

At least he was in bliss during his last few breaths
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
my rule of thumb when picking between 2 or more girls .. always go with the one with bigger boobs
palepilsenpin0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

RIP. That is sad
Reminds me of Sixth man movie.
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengy View Post
Possible steroid use?
enlarged heart i doubts it.....

roids dont do that...
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thats very sad. Another athlete dieing, doing what they love.. R.I.P
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #11
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
It could be the result many things: genetics, strokes, etc. Don't these athletes have to go through physical tests--the symptom could have been easily determined.

Sad story.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Anyone who thinks this is from steroids... Please get educated.
Posted via RS Mobile
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #13
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

damn thats terrible, mood crusher!
jaebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #14
RS controls my life!

Definitely not steroids. It just happens, I have one myself and it is unavoidable. Got many tests done and I now train accordingly. RIP
Alar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:03 AM   #15
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
wow thats fucked
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:50 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

wow thats too bad!
Birchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:52 AM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alar View Post
Definitely not steroids. It just happens, I have one myself and it is unavoidable. Got many tests done and I now train accordingly. RIP
you have symptoms? testing for enlarged hearts isn't exactly an everyday type of thing.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxboost View Post
RIP. That is sad
Reminds me of Sixth man movie.
lol was about to say that. was watching that movie last night
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #19
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts

Here is the news footage of the win.... Pretty sad stuff.

Berz out.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #20
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

March 4th has a second victim.
Rip Wes.
Rip Hank.
Posted via RS Mobile
Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #21
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
wow

that's horrible, seems like its right out of a movie. so sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggdis300 View Post
enlarged heart i doubts it.....

roids dont do that...
Actually they can, its rare but it happens LVH is usually associated with exercise alone but steroid use (and steroid + hgh) can lead to a detrimental enlargement http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1768197/
hell even extended intense aerobic exercise without steroids (like pro-athletes do) can lead to ventricular hypertrophy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_heart_syndrome (but that isn't a concern, its even beneficial im not speaking of the steroid use btw)

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-05-2011 at 09:13 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #22
Need my Daily Fix of RS

RIP , he will always be remembered as a champ
soowu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #23
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
There's an actual condition for athletes who exert themselves and then immediately stop exerting themselves which can cause them to go into cardiac arrest, I cannot for the life of me remember the correct term ...

From my rather rudimentary (2nd year uni) understanding, blood can only come back to the heart from the legs as long as the legs are still contracting. If you go from playing an intense game of basketball to instantly no walking, it will reduce the blood flow feeding your heart, and it'll become deprived of the nutrients it needs to contract properly ... it'll only do partial contractions, and eventually you'll collapse/die. This condition can prove deadly especially if you have an enlarged heart because the heart is just a muscle. If it's bigger it'll need more bloodflow ... so it's possible that instead of walking it off and cooling down properly, instantly going from full speed to zero (being picked up and carried around) caused his heart to become deprived and stop functioning. This is why everyone always recommends doing some type of "cool down" exercise after doing hard cardio.

If I'm wrong someone correct me, I did this 2 semesters ago so It's been awhile and I probably missed some points.

Either way, RIP, shitty to go out like that.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
sad, but atleast he went out on top
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #25
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,544 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
There's an actual condition for athletes who exert themselves and then immediately stop exerting themselves which can cause them to go into cardiac arrest, I cannot for the life of me remember the correct term ...

From my rather rudimentary (2nd year uni) understanding, blood can only come back to the heart from the legs as long as the legs are still contracting. If you go from playing an intense game of basketball to instantly no walking, it will reduce the blood flow feeding your heart, and it'll become deprived of the nutrients it needs to contract properly ... it'll only do partial contractions, and eventually you'll collapse/die. This condition can prove deadly especially if you have an enlarged heart because the heart is just a muscle. If it's bigger it'll need more bloodflow ... so it's possible that instead of walking it off and cooling down properly, instantly going from full speed to zero (being picked up and carried around) caused his heart to become deprived and stop functioning. This is why everyone always recommends doing some type of "cool down" exercise after doing hard cardio.
Gym teacher told us this as well
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote