REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
my goal is not to be jacked, main goal is to lose weight/fat.
You're not gonna get jacked. Lifting weights burns a lot of calories. You can probably get more cut squatting then going on the bike.
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #27
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
Can you link to the abstract and not the direct article? I'd like to look at the test setup and the methodologies.

Regardless, I still disagree with you. Look at fasting studies for example which show that fat oxidation greatly accelerates in hr 16 of a fast. It's only when you hit the 32 hr mark that your body begins to catabolize muscle.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html

On the whole calories in, calories out silliness - yes what you eat makes a difference, but calories do matter to an extent as well. Taubes (I assume if you've read fat head, you've also read good calories, bad calories) himself has said that (I cant for the life of me find it on his blog though).

As for good fats? What? Nuts are most certainly not full of good fats. They are mostly comprised of omega 6 fatty acids and further exacerbate the typical north american problem of having WAY too much omega 6s vs omega3s in their diets.

Nuts are also a pretty useless source of protein. For a handful, you get what.. 5 g? Pretty insignificant not to mention that their amino acid profile is incomplete.
1 ounce of almonds, approximately 25 of them gets you 3g of fiber (which our overly processed diets are seriously lacking in), 6g of protein, 14g of fat, 6g of total carbs, 1 g of which is sugar, as well as calcium (which a lot of us don't get enough of either) and iron.

While I agree wonky omega 6 to 3 ratios are a big part of the problem in our diet, I don't think 25 almonds or an equal amount of walnuts is going to break the 6/3 ratio bank. There's far more insidious foods in our diets. A better snack then processed fruit snacks (you might as well just drink sugar water). I wouldn't recommend living off nuts, but I would recommend including them in your diet.

I've seen the same research that Taubes references in his documentries where diets that were low in fat but high in carbs have resulted in while weight loss, a flabbier physic. Also where higher calorie but lower carb diets have shown a stable weight or minimal weight gain.

Yes some calories are better than others, yeah I can agree with that. But I wouldn't say that the total number of calories in a food is what should be looked at when one first looks at the nutritional data on it, where the calories come from.

As for the abstract: http://journals.cambridge.org/action...07114507877646
Old 03-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #28
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #29
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
you guys are making this shit way to complicated than it really needs to be
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #30
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Get off RS and do some laps
Posted via RS Mobile
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #31
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

you're right gdoh.

The science is over. :P
Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Honestly dood, you need to find what works for you.
When I graduated I was 5'7 140lbs. That's skinny. That's when I started weight training.
I still ate shitty and drank lots.
6 years later, Im slightly taller, weighing in at 175lbs all due to weight training, cardio and decent diet.
I still binge eat and binge drink but in moderation. Find your comfort Zone and go from there.
Try different things until they work. Ppl posted some good tips along the way but you have find what works for you.
Posted via RS Mobile
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #33
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
you guys are making this shit way to complicated than it really needs to be
That because you say stupid shit like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
the thing with meats like steak is its harder to break down
Which has absolutely NO BEARING on weight loss, cholesterol or anything like that.

Science > You.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #34
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
i thought this was about dieting and eating healthy =|

not some copy paste competition
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #35
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
stopped reading @
"of weights, just dumbells for the arms, crunches, pushups. im only on it for like 20min."

you see that workout thread stickied up there, go read the first 100 pages , read skinnypups hal0s and rxtars posts, all you need to know :-)
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #36
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,806 Times in 215 Posts
Drink a lot of water, it helps you have a good metabolism and you will have less desire to eat a lot, like 3-5L a day. As well as just doing cardio exercises those burn a lot of calories fast.
AlphaKappa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #37
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Getting "jacked" or "big" is really fucking hard ... ask anyone ... its really hard.

Lifting heavy weights is good! As long as your form is good and you're doing everything properly, lift as heavy as you want.

Here, if you don't wanna get "huge" don't follow a huge person, follow this guy's workout

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScottHermanFitness

scottherman fitness, look at his back/bicep/tricep/leg/chest etc. workouts and copy them. Subscribe to his channel and watch his videos. Aim to do about 3 exercises per muscle group per day that you work them out, and aim to do 1-2 muscle groups per day you're at the gym. It's simple, and impossible to screw up. This guy's really lean .. and he shares all of his exercises. Boom, done.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #38
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
^His "How To Squat video is"..... :/

Old 03-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #39
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
So recently i started working out, trying to cut fat.
Currently 75kg and most of it is not muscle lol.

Anyway my diet is
8AM Biggest meal of the day.
usually includes meat,rice,soup, typical korean 'dinner'. i just eat whatever i can till i get really full. + a cup of tropicana juice or milk.

10-11Amish, Workout. I do an hour on treadmill (first 30min i do incline, then interval running). I do a little bit of weights, just dumbells for the arms, crunches, pushups. im only on it for like 20min.

12PM Lunch.
Ill have a subway, i try to eat healthy but i dont mind eating some 'guilty' food at lunch either. but relatively small portion.

3pm eat a snack. usually a banana + boiled egg.

6pm. chicken breast with veggies.

Somewhere between 6pm and Midnight, ill have another fruit snack.

Also i plan to add an hour of jumping ropes between 6pm and midnight; sometime in the near future

Recommendations? My main priority is to cut fat/weight to achieve a slimmer body figure.

Should i be eating less? I have done one meal a day before ( it was more of a lazyness thing rather than trying to lose wieght this way) and it has worked great in losing weight(without workingout) and i didnt yoyo it back on but i didnt like how my metalbolism was dying= digestion problems....

I workout minimum 4 times a week.

Goal is to be toned figure at 70Kg in 3month. (is this realistic?)

any tips/suggestions would be great.

thanks.
Dude you have an awesome diet seriously!
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: