REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #1176
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts
same shit but heres the vancouver sun article

http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...897/story.html
Advertisement
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #1177
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
there's too many idiots ruining this thread.
i am officially out of this conversation.
hell the guys on 4chan are smarter than some of you
Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #1178
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arash View Post
Why is that CTV news clip sidelining the main question of what the risks are if a meltdown was to happen? Why. \
Because nobody but you consider that to be a "main question"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #1179
Banned (ABWS)

That Vancouver Sun article too avoids answering the outcome of what the biggest fear is, a meltdown. They didnt even bother to say that the General Electric built nuclear power plants are in a fucked state because it wasnt designed for the large tsunami.
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #1180

Quote:
That Vancouver Sun article too avoids answering the outcome of what the biggest fear is, a meltdown. They didnt even bother to say that the General Electric built nuclear power plants are in a fucked state because it wasnt designed for the large tsunami.
“Even if there is a serious release in Japan, whatever would come here would be extremely diluted,” Brodovitch said.
Quote:
Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #1181
Banned (ABWS)

I dont have full understanding if they meant a meltdown or another, larger controlled radiation release. What ever, Ill get my facts from somewhere else, you live your life, I'll live mine.
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #1182
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Not sure which reports to trust, all I DO know is to never trust the government.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #1183
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Maybe if you actually read this thread and some of the links posted, you would understand why we aren't worried about that at all.
You seriously are a troll at heart.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #1184

Quote:
I dont have full understanding if they meant a meltdown or another, larger controlled radiation release. What ever, Ill get my facts from somewhere else, you live your life, I'll live mine.

This was posted several pages ago, but for some reason, I'm being nice and posting it here again. This was written by a layman and edited for accuracy by a number of MIT nuclear experts, and explains how nuclear energy works, how THESE reactors work, what is actually going on over there, and what COULD happen:

http://theenergycollective.com/barry...te-explanation

We'll go live our lives. You try to live yours... if you don't panic yourself to death first.

Seriously... the stress of worrying about what might happen will kill you long before the radiation does.
Quote:
Old 03-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #1185
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,063 Times in 554 Posts
i literally go to shower and come back.. and see like 3 more pages being posted =.=
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #1186

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
i literally go to shower and come back.. and see like 3 more pages being posted =.=
That's because hk2000 and Arash keep coming up with new ways to scare themselves, and everyone else keeps trying to tell them they're being silly.

I think they just WANT everything to go wrong and so hunt down any information they can find that suggests even the slightest chance that it might... then read more into it than is really there, just to really enhance the effect.

On another, more general note, found this handy graphic:

Quote:
Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #1187
I subscribe to Revscene

when did most of you become nuclear experts? LOL
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #1188
Need to Seek Professional Help

Since last friday.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #1189
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I wouldnt trust most of the people on this about the issue at hand
ImpactZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #1190
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Seriously, why has Arash not been banned yet?
Is there any GOOD reason to keep him on this thread?
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #1191
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I just wanna know what hk2000 has against japan.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #1192
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
slightly off-topic, but maybe once all this is done and over with we could have Arash fly over there and show them how a nuclear reactor is built.

You'll need these:

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #1193
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
Quote:
Why is there no looting in Japan?
Posted: 05:00 PM ET

A masked boy walks past nearly-empty shelves at a supermarket in the Japanese city of Akita. (PHOTO CREDIT: ROSLAN RAHMAN/AFP/Getty Images)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

In the wake of Japan's deadly earthquake, tsunami and nuclear power plant explosions, we have witnessed the almost indescribable chaos that follows a disaster of this magnitude: loss of life, severe injuries, homelessness, lack of water, food and proper medical care, the physical destruction of towns and cities, and a growing fear of radioactive contamination from power plants that seem beyond anyone's ability to control.

But one heart-wrenching byproduct of disasters like this one has been missing in Japan, and that’s looting and lawlessness.

Looting is something we see after almost every tragedy; for example: last year's earthquakes in Haiti and Chile, the floods in England in 2007, and of course Hurricane Katrina back in 2005. It happens when some people who've seen life as they know it get tossed out the window feel that all morality has been tossed out too. It's survival of the fittest and whatever you can get your hands on is yours, no matter who it belongs to.

But that's not happening in Japan.

Journalist and social commentator Ed West wrote in the UK Telegraph yesterday how struck he was by the Japanese culture throughout this ordeal. He observed how supermarkets cut their prices in the days following the quake and how vending machine owners were giving out free drinks as "people work together to survive." And West was most surprised by the fact that there was no looting.

Many have pointed to the popularity of Japan's distinctive Buddhist and Shinto religions as well as how the values of conformity and consensus are considered virtues in their culture. That's one explanation, but it probably has something to do with remaining true to your moral code even in the darkest hours.

Here’s my question to you: Why is there no looting in Japan?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Kim:
Because Japanese culture, unlike all other modern cultures, is based primarily on honor and dignity. Unlike our Katrina disaster, the Japanese don't see this as an opportunity to steal everything in sight. The so-called civilized world can learn much from the stoic Japanese.

Greg in Arkansas:
Two words: National pride. The people of Japan love their country and do what is best for the nation, unlike the United States where we love our country and do what is best for ourselves.

Natasha:
The Japanese are resourceful, innovative and disciplined people with a great sense of national pride. While they also have criminals and felons, it is not quite in comparison to the sleaze balls we have in our streets. It was disgusting to watch these scum bags loot stores in New Orleans during Katrina when they should have helped their fellow citizens in need. While watching the devastation in Japan is heart wrenching, it is so refreshing to see the civility of people within the calamity they are facing.

Larry in Georgetown, Texas:
Jack, I was blessed to visit Japan several years ago on business and was told that if I lost my wallet in downtown Tokyo that the person who found it would make it their mission to return it to me in tact. These people are very gracious and kind.

Carol:
Sociologists will tell you that the lack of looting is just the result of large numbers of people developing a more orderly society to cope with living in a smaller land mass. Personally, I've always thought it's because they're a more highly evolved race.

Joy:
It's the Japanese culture - very refined, dignified, disciplined and civilized. We should all learn from them. They're the types of people you help out willingly because you know that they'll make full use of any opportunity to get back on their feet.

Richard:
I don't really know. It would be easy to say that they are a very homogeneous society and perhaps in a way consider each other family. In any case they are to be applauded.
http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/20...apan/?iref=NS1

Good read. Other countries could learn a thing or two from Japan.
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #1194

Quote:
Then there is nothing to worry about? These pictures are pretty disturbing.
Photo: Nuclear nightmare: In the days following the Chernobyl nuclear power explosion in the Ukraine in 1986, a cloud of radioactive "fallout" spread throughout Europe. In this sequence of pictures, you can see the cloud (the pink area) on day 2, day 6, and day 10 after the accident. Pictures by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory courtesy of US Department of Energy.
Did you know that the Chernobyl incident killed "only" 10 people directly from radiation. (it's more than enough,but still because those were people who were working in/very close to the nuclear plants)
Your figures were just showing where did the radiation particulates landed, without mentioning the actual amount of radaiation added to the highlighted areas.

skip to 2:05, and see what Chernobyl is like as of 2011.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #1195

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts
on an unrelated note.. Chernobyl happened 1 day before i was born..
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #1196
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Picard View Post
Guys on 4chan are not dumb.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #1197
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
this is so weird... i was just saying to my mom "has the Japanese emperor come out and said anything??" thought it was odd that there hasn't been anything in the media about it

then i go to reuters to do my usual check in and what do i see? a picture of the emperor plastered on the first page

Quote:
Japan's emperor expresses condolences to tsunami victims, urges nation not to give up

By Elaine Kurtenbach (CP) – 21 minutes ago

TOKYO — Japan's Emperor Akihito expressed his condolences Wednesday to victims of his country's massive earthquake and tsunami and told the Japanese people not to give up.

Speaking on TV Wednesday afternoon in a rare address to nation, he also voiced concern about the crisis at a nuclear power plant damaged by the disasters that has led to radiation leakage.

"I am deeply concerned about the nuclear situation because it is unpredictable," he said. "With the help of those involved I hope things will not get worse."

Friday's quake-spawned tsunami has devastated Japan's northeastern coast, and officials believe more than 10,000 people have died.

Akihito, 77, thanked those involved in disaster relief operations, including foreign governments, and urged an all-out rescue effort.

"We don't know the number of victims, but I pray that every single person can be saved," he said.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...?docId=6262232
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #1198
I am Hook'd on RS

Pretty sad to hear that disaster happening in japan
Hope they can get well soon. Strong nation.

BTW what is 4chan<----forgive me im a noob=[
AB_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #1199
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
to be very honest, and its speaking from my mind one this
the tech today is by far way more advanced than what it was when threemileisland or Chernobyl. My biggest heat on this is that if Japan asked for help and was direct with the situation. we would not have all this "guessing" on the situation.

regardless, it was said that the design of the plant was not safe to begin with. having 6 reactors in such close range is not a good thing
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #1200
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Picard View Post
You ever been to 4chan? Those guys aren't stupid. They're assholes and sociopaths but a good number of them are fucking geniuses. Besides, is there an "organization" that has more unregulated power on the Internet than those guys? You've seen what they do.

Plus...the vast majority of Internet humor is spawned from 4chan. Their influence can be seen here on REVscene. So what does that make everyone that has snickered at some point at a rage guy comic?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote