REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   icbc? cbv collections skytrain ticket (https://www.revscene.net/forums/640024-icbc-cbv-collections-skytrain-ticket.html)

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-14-2011 07:18 AM

icbc? cbv collections skytrain ticket

..so i got a phone call this morning and they sasy i have a ticket for 173$ skytrain ticket back in 2005. the office that called me was CBV collections from vancouver. the dude said icbc issued me a ticket, when translink is the one that controls the transit right? has anyone had this issue before? he went on and on about how it might escalate and is definitely affect my credit, i just told him it hasn't done shit so far since im able to buy car etc.

Supafly 03-14-2011 07:21 AM

cbv collections will fuck you up...goodluck trying to renew your insurance next year or renew your DL.
stop being cheap and pay up.

murd0c 03-14-2011 07:21 AM

Don't respond or give them any info. He can't do anything else and being it is 6 yrs old you have one more year until its stats barred and they can't collect it or put it on your credit file.
Posted via RS Mobile

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-14-2011 07:21 AM

serious? have u dealt with them before

Greenstoner 03-14-2011 07:22 AM

fuck you up big time

murd0c 03-14-2011 07:23 AM

They only have 7 yrs to collect a debit with out a judgement. If they can't collect it there is nothing they can do to you. If you pay it off right now it will show on your credit file for 7 more years if it has been reported already
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 03-14-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz (Post 7342786)
serious? have u dealt with them before

I worked there for 3yrs. They can't do shit to you.
Posted via RS Mobile

El Bastardo 03-14-2011 07:27 AM

I hope your license doesn't come up for renewal soon tho. I had the exact same situation happen. My license couldn't be renewed until I paid off the stupid ticket.

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-14-2011 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7342789)
I worked there for 3yrs. They can't do shit to you.
Posted via RS Mobile

thanks for the info, it was odd and stupid how they are calling me after 6 years..hope this info is true

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-14-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachycardia! (Post 7342790)
I hope your license doesn't come up for renewal soon tho. I had the exact same situation happen. My license couldn't be renewed until I paid off the stupid ticket.

i did go to get my class 5 but instead renewed my N. I am guessing that stupid ticket won't affect it since i was able to renew that and also option to upgrade class 5. I had speeding tickets before but thats all paid off for icbc.

murd0c 03-14-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz (Post 7342791)
thanks for the info, it was odd and stupid how they are calling me after 6 years..hope this info is true

they will get 50% commissiong off of it so it's easy money for them. A lot of people don't realise that and will get scared and pay when actually it will do more harm then good.

That's like that with every bill. The debt is only active for 7 yrs of last payment and if there's no activity you don't have have to pay it. That's why when you go bankrupt the bad debts are showing on your credit file for 7 years.

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-14-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7342796)
they will get 50% commissiong off of it so it's easy money for them. A lot of people don't realise that and will get scared and pay when actually it will do more harm then good.

That's like that with every bill. The debt is only active for 7 yrs of last payment and if there's no activity you don't have have to pay it. That's why when you go bankrupt the bad debts are showing on your credit file for 7 years.

any other steps i should take other than ignore the calls if they call again? the guy calls me when im half asleep and said icbc and he only asked me to confirm my DOB so i was stupid to give him that but yeah told him ticket hasn't done anything to my credit so far so i hung up.

murd0c 03-14-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz (Post 7342873)
any other steps i should take other than ignore the calls if they call again? the guy calls me when im half asleep and said icbc and he only asked me to confirm my DOB so i was stupid to give him that but yeah told him ticket hasn't done anything to my credit so far so i hung up.

Just ignore him and don't give him any info. Just tell him wrong number if if he calls with someone else around get them to answer the phone. They should stop calling after that.

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-14-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7342879)
Just ignore him and don't give him any info. Just tell him wrong number if if he calls with someone else around get them to answer the phone. They should stop calling after that.

alright colo i will try, thanks!

fliptuner 03-14-2011 08:17 AM

murd0c's advice is correct.

I have a friend who owns a collection agency and has been in the business forever and he gave me the exact same advice. IIRC after 7 years, you can tell them you know the alleged debt is stat barred and you're officially telling them to stop contacting you, get the agent's license # and tell them you'll report them to the governing body (forgot what they're called) if they continue to harass you. Make sure you keep note of all your interaction with the collection agency. As aggresive as they can be, they do have rules to go by and won't jeapordize their license over something so small.

Also +1 on if you pay it right now and it's been reported, it'll show up on your credit for 7 years, so just wait it out.

TouringTeg 03-14-2011 08:43 AM

What did you do to get a $173 skytrain ticket?

Jayhall 03-14-2011 08:58 AM

do you muster up the $2.50 now??

JSilver 03-14-2011 09:56 AM

I have the same issue but I'm getting calls from ARC Collections Agency.

ruthless 03-14-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7342788)
They only have 7 yrs to collect a debit with out a judgement. If they can't collect it there is nothing they can do to you. If you pay it off right now it will show on your credit file for 7 more years if it has been reported already
Posted via RS Mobile

is that for all creditors or just cbv collections?

GLOW 03-14-2011 10:18 AM

correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as i know collection agencies must not 'harass' you. if you contact them in writing or tell them that you no longer wish to have them contact you directly via phone, and to mail their correspondence to you, they can only reach you by letters, and not by phone.

if they continue to call you after that and you have proof you notified them, that's harassment and you can contact the police?

CP.AR 03-14-2011 10:33 AM

make sure they got the right person (do you remember being ticketed)
My girlfriend got a call from these guys in May 2010 saying she was ticketed in New Westminster for failure to provide a fare.

Well, since in May 2010 she was in Hong Kong we knew they screwed up already.
It turns out whoever issued the ticket put down "CHAN, C" as the ticketed, and somehow my girlfriend (which is also CHAN, C, like the 98724154 CHAN,Cs in Vancouver) was automatically called.

Even after we submitted proof of travel (plane tickets) they refused to give up, saying that IT MUST BE HER because they had her Driver's License number on record. They were extremely rude, not very patient, and resulted us calling Translink, ICBC and the VPD (for possible extortion and harrassment)

We eventually got a call back from them (after ICBC contacted the collections agency), saying that a mistake was made, and on the ticket the only thing that was written down was the highly ambiguous name, location, and amount fined. No mention of the DL number was ever even on the sheet. Guess what, not even an apology - they just hung up.

We though we were done with these fools before guess what. They called her back in a month's time (by this time it was already July) saying that if she still refuses to pay it may affect her credit history. Thankfully I was with my gf at the time so I just told them "guess what, if you refuse to cease calling my girlfriend again, it might affect the stability of your business since this issue has already been dealt with, and you guys got the wrong person - call again and it'll either be the VPD or ICBC calling you directly, so take your pick."

Never again did we get a call.
nosy fuckers.

Psykopathik 03-14-2011 10:42 AM

i really wonder if a bank wont give you a loan because of a $175 ticket.....

"Hmmm we can earn $15,000 in interest of them, but there's this matter of $175 10 years ago...." fuck you could say you lost your wallet and someone was posing as you.

murd0c 03-14-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthless (Post 7343022)
is that for all creditors or just cbv collections?

It has to do with all debit. All the info you need is in the debt collection act. If you want to make a complait you have to contact the Ministry of the attorney general, they are the board the governs the debt collection act for BC.

Meowjin 03-14-2011 11:00 AM

I have a 1700 dollar tuition debt from when I registered for school but ended up not going, without dropping my classes. It got sent to collections with CBV and it hurt my credit big time. To the point where I was overseas and had an emergency and couldnt get a credit extension on my CC. My question is the debt was in 07. Should I just wait it out or pay it?

The worst part is they wont even settle. They want it in full.

fuck it im going to fight this debt. I'm gonna ask to be sued.

murd0c 03-14-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 7343108)
I have a 1700 dollar tuition debt from when I registered for school but ended up not going, without dropping my classes. It got sent to collections with CBV and it hurt my credit big time. To the point where I was overseas and had an emergency and couldnt get a credit extension on my CC. My question is the debt was in 07. Should I just wait it out or pay it?

The worst part is they wont even settle. They want it in full.

fuck it im going to fight this debt. I'm gonna ask to be sued.

Plain and simple PAY IT, you got the cash so why take advantage of the system. I personaly think they should go after debts like that. It drives me crazy when I see people abuse the system like that
Posted via RS Mobile