REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 03-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #26
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newspeak View Post
i would disagree on that one. technology's primary intent is to better the life of human beings. i would much rather be sitting on my ass writing documents, traveling from continent to continent for a living than to be placed in a nomadic tribe of wild hunters, struggling on a daily basis to feed my wife, kid, and fellow tribemembers.
Technology will forever strive to better the life of human beings, but in honest fact, it will never reach it.. There will always be holes in technology that will not benefit, but destroy. What you can say however, is that the human mind is geared to explore and to seek for new things...... it is a constant venture into the unknown.....
Advertisement
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #27
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
its bullshit.... but not entirely. I do believe that man will one day become immortal, and when it does, the world will refresh to the start of caveman. We have come a long way since then, and I believe that this will put a stop to the loop of time and in turn, end the suffering of man.
man has been bestowed with the gift of reason, and i agree that it's both our most valuable and despicable gift. I quote from J.S. Mills: "It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, are of a different opinion, it is because they only know their own side of the question. The other party to the comparison knows both sides" I both agree and disagree with this particular statement. I view my mind and its intellect as my most valuable gift: the satisfaction i obtain when eating (pig) is mightily overwhelemed in comparison to the satisfaction gained from the comprehension of a beautiful idea (socrates). unfortunately, the intellect of man also serves as the source of the most horrid pain in existence: that of which lives in the thoughts. sometimes, these thoughts are so painful that it leads a human being into ending their own lives. like you said, there's always a yin to a yang. on a sidenote, the words in your quote which i have bolded remind me intensely of 2 literary works: frankenstein (fantastic read, one of my all time favorites) and paradise lost (tough to understand, but a very satisfying read if you're willing to further research the verses while reading). you should read em if you ever get a chance (especially frankenstein!)
Newspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Technology will forever strive to better the life of human beings, but in honest fact, it will never reach it.. There will always be holes in technology that will not benefit, but destroy. What you can say however, is that the human mind is geared to explore and to seek for new things...... it is a constant venture into the unknown.....
True, but benefits often outweigh the liabilities.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:10 AM   #29
Banned (ABWS)

holes in technology ? what do you mean by that, technology is not technology if its not perfect, a machine is useless if one piece is missing
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #30

There's no such thing as a "perfect" machine. For one, machines arn't 100% power efficient. A lot of the energy you input into a machine is transformed into undesirable forms of energy (most notably sound and heat). For example, if 100J of electrical energy is transferred into a lightbulb, only a fraction of the initial 100J (maybe 20 J) is transformed into light energy. The other 80J turn into heat: heat is undesirable since the function of a lightbulb is to provide light, not heat: thus, heat is "undesirable" in this particular context.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #31
Banned (ABWS)

the bicycle is perfect, solar power is perfect, dams are perfect

pulleys are perfect too

anyways i wouldnt want to live in a world without technology
Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu13 View Post

pulleys are perfect too

lol i strongly disagree but i'll respect your opinions nonetheless
Old 03-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #33
Hyde's Understudy

Good to see other ppls views on this topic
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #34
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:

pulleys are perfect too

dont know specifically about the faults of solar power and dams, but im sure there are some that exist

the vulnerability of the bicycle allows it to be crashed by cars
Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #35
Banned (ABWS)

the bicycle and pulley are 100% efficient machines

the vulnerability of anything is that someone with a sniper rifle takes your head off, wtf is your logic here?

i dont get why you are judging others as idiots when its pure fun speculation on the hypothetical

anyways back on topic
Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #36
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:

the vulnerability of anything is that someone with a sniper rifle takes your head off, wtf is your logic here?

i dont get why you are judging others as idiots when its pure fun speculation on the hypothetical

anyways back on topic
never have judged anyone as idiots, just expressing my view on the topic.

there is no doubt that technology has had its flaws, my suggestion to one of the flaws may seem ridiculous, but reality is that there are many other flaws that will exist. yes, the bicycle has improved transportation, but on the contrary, it has increased the chances of humans getting crashed by cars. When the bicycle was invented, another source of death was created. Pedestrians can now ride on a bike instead of walking, and it may seem that the bicycle provides countless benefits to transportation. However, safety becomes an issue. Those that ride the bicycle could easily die when they are pedalling hard down a hill only to be stopped by a huge truck turning left. Was it possible that a pedestrian be hit the same way the cyclist did? perhaps. but simply put, the bicycle provided another alternative to death.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #37
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newspeak View Post
man has been bestowed with the gift of reason, and i agree that it's both our most valuable and despicable gift. I quote from J.S. Mills: "It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, are of a different opinion, it is because they only know their own side of the question. The other party to the comparison knows both sides" I both agree and disagree with this particular statement. I view my mind and its intellect as my most valuable gift: the satisfaction i obtain when eating (pig) is mightily overwhelemed in comparison to the satisfaction gained from the comprehension of a beautiful idea (socrates). unfortunately, the intellect of man also serves as the source of the most horrid pain in existence: that of which lives in the thoughts. sometimes, these thoughts are so painful that it leads a human being into ending their own lives. like you said, there's always a yin to a yang. on a sidenote, the words in your quote which i have bolded remind me intensely of 2 literary works: frankenstein (fantastic read, one of my all time favorites) and paradise lost (tough to understand, but a very satisfying read if you're willing to further research the verses while reading). you should read em if you ever get a chance (especially frankenstein!)
in all respect, i believe that our ability to reason has come from our innate characteristic to survive. Along with technology, our ability to reason has also improved. All of which come down to survival. We live life because we are determined to finish it. In the end, perhaps there is no purpose? perhaps survival and the finishing of life is what it really is about.

One thing i know for sure is that while death gives many pessimistic views onto life, it has brought optimism to mine. in its light, i have gone through my experiences acknowledging the idea that any embarrasing, painful, happy, confusing, awkward situation will wipe away along with my life.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #38

Quote:

anyways back on topic
bicycles have tires. tires produce friction as it scrapes the ground, thus creating "undesired" heat energy rather than the "desired" mechanical energy. so no, bicycles arn't 100% efficient and hence in my perspective, they're unperfect. i am not judging you as an idiot, all i'm doing is disagreeing with your comments and rebuttling with my own. i'm very curious as to why you perceive a bicycle as a perfect machine, please elaborate.

Last edited by Newspeak; 03-21-2011 at 02:59 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #39
Banned (ABWS)

To divide and conquer
XinLoiBby is offline   Reply With Quote