REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
What is the purpose of life?

What is the purpose of life to you? Shallow thoughts are welcome, but im interested to listen to some really deep thoughts....
Advertisement
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
bcrdukes
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9,051
Thanked 5,121 Times in 1,532 Posts
__________________
Posted from NE 1-J W Inglis Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
To quote the most misunderstood individual and figurehead on Revscene:

"I am a changed person."

- TOS'd
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,936
Thanked 233 Times in 129 Posts
if you believe in god then it's a spiritual experience

if u dont, then there is no purpose
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
u no dick?
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liu13 View Post
if you believe in god then it's a spiritual experience

if u dont, then there is no purpose
so is life really just a dream? and r u basically saying that u live life just to get it over with?
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
why do we humans try so hard in life? what motivates us to become olympic level athletes, to become rich businessmen, to become brilliant scientists that aim to change the world? in fact, why do they aim to change the world when they know that they themselves will die, and those they change the world for, will also die? isn't life all just a dream?

there is no point to conflict, everytime i engage in one, i ask myself, why do i even care? what is the point of caring so much, in the end, i will just die.....
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
cliffhanger33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,658
Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
if you understand maslow's hierarchy of needs, it shows the level of how ppl obtain what satisfies them, with the largest and most fundamental levels of needs at the bottom, and highest level is self- actualization. Self-actualization is like reaching the person's full potential is and realizing that potential. People in life aim for self-actualization after going through each level, it takes a while to hit that highest level, some never do. Idk, i guess thats a way of seeing why people have a purpose in life.
Some have religious purpose, to live life according to their values and be rewarded when they die, coz life is short and the the after life may be longer and eternal, depending on what you believe in.
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger33 View Post
if you understand maslow's hierarchy of needs, it shows the level of how ppl obtain what satisfies them, with the largest and most fundamental levels of needs at the bottom, and highest level is self- actualization. Self-actualization is like reaching the person's full potential is and realizing that potential. People in life aim for self-actualization after going through each level, it takes a while to hit that highest level, some never do. Idk, i guess thats a way of seeing why people have a purpose in life.
Some have religious purpose, to live life according to their values and be rewarded when they die, coz life is short and the the after life may be longer and eternal, depending on what you believe in.
potential for what? potential to achieve something in a society that will perish as you yourself will?

imo, no offence at all to those in religious practise

but religion is just to secure your mind, cus you know very well deep down that you will die, and when you do, you will remain forever locked.....locked into what?

locked into nothing.....true emptiness.....
maybe its cus i am still young... but what i know to be true is that, what separates an adult from an child, is their understanding of their potential....

and yet i am still searching for it....because i do not see it.

Last edited by instantneedles; 03-19-2011 at 10:10 PM.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
I AM
 
Groot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,423
Thanked 1,170 Times in 275 Posts
what is the purpose of life?

fuck bitches, get money.
Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushy View Post
what is the purpose of life?

fuck bitches, get money.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 1984
Posts: 13
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Personally, my intensive studies of science and mathematics have nurtured the idea of a time loop: time is like a racetrack, eventually "looping" back to its beginning after reaching its end. If the world is limitless and time restarts itself repeatedly, why can't humans renew their existence along with the renewal of time?

anyways, that's rather abstract. from a more practical sense, live life because it's a gift you've been given. you can either ponder endlessly about the meaning of life and drown in a pool of utter indifference, or you can influence the world with this limited time you've be granted on earth. even if my theories about time are incorrect, and time does infact flow perpetually forward without the capabilities of restarting, doesn't it feel good to set goals and to achieve them? (as cliffhanger put it: "realizing human potential"). doesn't it feel good to make a difference? to put a smile on a child's face, or knowing that one life breathed easier because of your own existence? To make so much bacon that you blow your nose with hundred dollar bills and sleep on the skin of a siberian tiger? to have your face on the cover of Time Magazine? don't (atleast some of) these achievements bless you with a feeling of fulfillment?

I understand the origins of your curiousity since I had those identical thoughts as a teenager. But remember, as of current technological abilities, the aging process cannot be reversed and ALL living organisms face an inevitable death. Being upset about death ain't gonna prevent it, so you might as well stay cheerful. On an endnote, read some books about existentialism; it might answer some of your questions
Newspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
guddagudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 1,121
Thanked 1,352 Times in 263 Posts
I feel like most people in this world, perhaps all, but I'm just going to say most for now, do things because they enjoy it. We're all psychological egoists as well as psychological hedonists. Think about the last time you did something nice. Did you do it because it ultimately benefited you?

So I think the purpose of life is to just do your thing, to put it simply. Do whatever makes you happy.
guddagudd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newspeak View Post
Personally, my intensive studies of science and mathematics have nurtured the idea of a time loop: time is like a racetrack, eventually "looping" back to its beginning after reaching its end. If the world is limitless and time restarts itself repeatedly, why can't humans renew their existence along with the renewal of time?

anyways, that's rather abstract. from a more practical sense, live life because it's a gift you've been given. you can either ponder endlessly about the meaning of life and drown in a pool of utter indifference, or you can influence the world with this limited time you've be granted on earth. even if my theories about time are incorrect, and time does infact flow perpetually forward without the capabilities of restarting, doesn't it feel good to set goals and to achieve them? (as cliffhanger put it: "realizing human potential"). doesn't it feel good to make a difference? to put a smile on a child's face, or knowing that one life breathed easier because of your own existence? To make so much bacon that you blow your nose with hundred dollar bills and sleep on the skin of a siberian tiger? to have your face on the cover of Time Magazine? don't (atleast some of) these achievements bless you with a feeling of fulfillment?

I understand the origins of your curiousity since I had those identical thoughts as a teenager. But remember, as of current technological abilities, the aging process cannot be reversed and ALL living organisms face an inevitable death. Being upset about death ain't gonna prevent it, so you might as well stay cheerful. On an endnote, read some books about existentialism; it might answer some of your questions
even if life renews itself, you wouldn't really know. because the life you live right now will be gone along with the experiences that go with it. I know for a fact that as of right now, I have no trace of having experienced a previous life, no recall of it whatsoever. All I do know, is that I am living the life I have right now, and the only experiences I recall are the ones in this life-time.

and, so i achieve goals, but for what purpose? for self-satisfaction? what satisfaction? satisfaction that something has completed but will just die away anyway? And feel good? what is the point of feeling good? so we can feel bad afterward, and then look for something else to "achieve potential?" i know how ppl say incredible things are ones that live even after you die. but you wouldn't know would you? you're dead.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #14
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guddagudd View Post
I feel like most people in this world, perhaps all, but I'm just going to say most for now, do things because they enjoy it. We're all psychological egoists as well as psychological hedonists. Think about the last time you did something nice. Did you do it because it ultimately benefited you?

So I think the purpose of life is to just do your thing, to put it simply. Do whatever makes you happy.
There are certain things that I aim for in life...however, whenever I root it to the very basics... i still don't know why I aim for it. The things that i aim for seem too little or minute for me to aim for. On the other hand, I don't bother to aim too big not because I have low self-esteem, but because I simply don't know what the point of it really is....
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #15
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Many people go depressed and sad upon acknowledgement of their death. I on the other hand, feel prepared and ready to face it, because with it, i have learned to cope with the many challenges in my life. You can say that, by embracing my death, I have opened new paths for myself. Death itself has changed my concept of time.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #16
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 1984
Posts: 13
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
There are certain things that I aim for in life...however, whenever I root it to the very basics... i still don't know why I aim for it. The things that i aim for seem too little or minute for me to aim for. On the other hand, I don't bother to aim too big not because I have low self-esteem, but because I simply don't know what the point of it really is....
The point is so you're not lying on your death bed thinking "I wish I accomplished this in my life"
Newspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #17
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 1984
Posts: 13
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
even if life renews itself, you wouldn't really know. because the life you live right now will be gone along with the experiences that go with it. I know for a fact that as of right now, I have no trace of having experienced a previous life, no recall of it whatsoever. All I do know, is that I am living the life I have right now, and the only experiences I recall are the ones in this life-time.
If time is undergoing it's first cycle, then no: you won't recall any past experiences. This however, by no means omits the possibilities of future experiences you may encouter as time commences its looping process.


Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
and, so i achieve goals, but for what purpose? for self-satisfaction? what satisfaction? satisfaction that something has completed but will just die away anyway? And feel good? what is the point of feeling good? so we can feel bad afterward, and then look for something else to "achieve potential?" i know how ppl say incredible things are ones that live even after you die. but you wouldn't know would you? you're dead.
the majority of today's population choose to idolize celebrities: movie stars, athletes, singers, etc etc. however, i believe these "celebrities" are of little significance to human history. my heroes are the scientists, philosophers, and revolutionaries who dared to disobey convention and thus steered society in their own desired paths (for better or for worse). Plato, Aristotle, Bacon, Hitler, Euclid, Newton, Einstein, Bacon, Kant, Riemann, Napolean... This list goes on and on and on. These people weren't defined by their looks, or their vertical leap. Nor were they defined by their party habits or the cars they drove. No, these extraordinary figures of mankind are defined by their ideas. Though the conventional definition of death pertains to the physical body, in my mind, none of these influential figures have and will ever die; they are forever preserved in their respective ideas, and live in the mind of each and every single human being.
Newspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,936
Thanked 233 Times in 129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newspeak View Post
Personally, my intensive studies of science and mathematics have nurtured the idea of a time loop: time is like a racetrack, eventually "looping" back to its beginning after reaching its end. If the world is limitless and time restarts itself repeatedly, why can't humans renew their existence along with the renewal of time?

anyways, that's rather abstract. from a more practical sense, live life because it's a gift you've been given. you can either ponder endlessly about the meaning of life and drown in a pool of utter indifference, or you can influence the world with this limited time you've be granted on earth. even if my theories about time are incorrect, and time does infact flow perpetually forward without the capabilities of restarting, doesn't it feel good to set goals and to achieve them? (as cliffhanger put it: "realizing human potential"). doesn't it feel good to make a difference? to put a smile on a child's face, or knowing that one life breathed easier because of your own existence? To make so much bacon that you blow your nose with hundred dollar bills and sleep on the skin of a siberian tiger? to have your face on the cover of Time Magazine? don't (atleast some of) these achievements bless you with a feeling of fulfillment?

I understand the origins of your curiousity since I had those identical thoughts as a teenager. But remember, as of current technological abilities, the aging process cannot be reversed and ALL living organisms face an inevitable death. Being upset about death ain't gonna prevent it, so you might as well stay cheerful. On an endnote, read some books about existentialism; it might answer some of your questions
that wont be true in the near future, perfect regeneration can be attained, if you read Time Magazine this year, one of the covers is the article of 2045 where man becomes immortal
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #19
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liu13 View Post
that wont be true in the near future, perfect regeneration can be attained, if you read Time Magazine this year, one of the covers is the article of 2045 where man becomes immortal
no way bro.....


and in the case that one does become immortal...views on life would change dramatically and i would actually be scared...but then again... that won't happen to me...because i will perish
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #20
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newspeak View Post
The point is so you're not lying on your death bed thinking "I wish I accomplished this in my life"
well fuck that... that wont be happening on my death bed....
i have and will always continue to believe this way

i make my decisions and don't look back...

maybe because i haven't had enough experiences for me to be able to look back on.... but fuck, i don't give a shit...things happen because they happen. i do things because i do it.

Yes, i have had my regrets, not finishing my piano/violin when i was at the peak of learning it, not finishing continuing on with certain things when i was at a point where i could have gone very far with it....
but as i thot more, so what if i had learned these things? would i have been happier now if i had not quit?

No, because I did it for the reasons I had, and by respecting it, I did what was happy for me... If i don't wanna do shit, i won't do it...if i wish to indulge in something, by all means i will.....
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #21
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,936
Thanked 233 Times in 129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
no way bro.....


and in the case that one does become immortal...views on life would change dramatically and i would actually be scared...but then again... that won't happen to me...because i will perish
if you live long enough for the technology to be completed, and then another 10-15 years till it's affordable who knows
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #22
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newspeak View Post
If time is undergoing it's first cycle, then no: you won't recall any past experiences. This however, by no means omits the possibilities of future experiences you may encouter as time commences its looping process.




the majority of today's population choose to idolize celebrities: movie stars, athletes, singers, etc etc. however, i believe these "celebrities" are of little significance to human history. my heroes are the scientists, philosophers, and revolutionaries who dared to disobey convention and thus steered society in their own desired paths (for better or for worse). Plato, Aristotle, Bacon, Hitler, Euclid, Newton, Einstein, Bacon, Kant, Riemann, Napolean... This list goes on and on and on. These people weren't defined by their looks, or their vertical leap. Nor were they defined by their party habits or the cars they drove. No, these extraordinary figures of mankind are defined by their ideas. Though the conventional definition of death pertains to the physical body, in my mind, none of these influential figures have and will ever die; they are forever preserved in their respective ideas, and live in the mind of each and every single human being.
but then again, so what if these scientists contribute to the ideas of every human? it will become a part of their lives... but does it really affect them in a positive or negative way? if life really is a loop, there is no need for such technological improvement, or ways to get better at things in the world since life is a loop....

in fact, the figures that brought influential changes are the ones that have brought more dramatic pain to the human race.... in respects to yin and yang, with increasing advantages, there will be increasing disadvantages
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #23
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 1984
Posts: 13
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liu13 View Post
that wont be true in the near future, perfect regeneration can be attained, if you read Time Magazine this year, one of the covers is the article of 2045 where man becomes immortal
hahahahha im an avid reader and enthusiast of Time, and im my opinion that article was complete bullshit. they called it the "singularity" or something? i cant see it happening within 35 years, no freakin way lol
Newspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #24
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 1984
Posts: 13
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
but then again, so what if these scientists contribute to the ideas of every human? it will become a part of their lives... but does it really affect them in a positive or negative way? if life really is a loop, there is no need for such technological improvement, or ways to get better at things in the world since life is a loop....

in fact, the figures that brought influential changes are the ones that have brought more dramatic pain to the human race.... in respects to yin and yang, with increasing advantages, there will be increasing disadvantages
i would disagree on that one. technology's primary intent is to improve the quality of life for human beings. i would much rather be sitting on my ass writing documents, traveling from continent to continent for a living than to be placed in a nomadic tribe of wild hunters, struggling on a daily basis to feed my wife, kid, and fellow tribemembers.

Last edited by Newspeak; 03-20-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Newspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #25
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
its bullshit.... but not entirely. I do believe that man will one day become immortal, and when it does, the world will refresh to the start of caveman. We have come a long way since then, and I believe that this will put a stop to the loop of time and in turn, end the suffering of man.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net