REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Need advice. Accident in courtesy car. What to do?

Basically, my parents received a courtesy car because our car went to the body shop for some repairs. My sister drove the courtesy car out today and got rear ended. It wasn't her fault at all. The courtesy car itself does not belong to the body shop. The body shop got it from a rental car company. In this instance, who would be responsible for reporting the claim, driving the car to icbc for inspection, dealing with icbc, doing the paperwork, etc? There are five parties involved. The body shop. My parents. My sister. The other driver. The rental car company. Talk about a cluster fuck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Last time I rented a car, I had to specify that I would be the only person driving it. If your sister wasn't listed, chances are the insurance on the car is void. Might want to check into that. If that's the case, your parents (because they signed for it) and/or your sister (because she was driving it) may be on the hook to pay for repairs, regardless of who is technically at fault.

Either way, your sister should be calling ICBC, since she was the one driving - regardless of who calls, they'll have questions for her, and she'll need to provide a statement about the accident, so it's probably easier for her to just make the call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
The rental car will have insurance so the only thing you'd have to worry about is if your parents said that they'd be the only ones driving the car. Because your sister was driving that might complicate things. Hopefully not. Good luck with icbc.

Last edited by Energy; 03-27-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I'm not sure if it's any different with a courtesy car vs a rental but I remember when I was using the body shop's courtesy car, there was a transfer of insurance from my car to the body shop's car. (basically my own current insurance policy applied to the rental car)

If there's any doubt, go look at the rental contract. It should say whether insurance (the rental company's insurance) was accepted or declined. Like Energy mentioned, the insurance usually only applies to the driver named on the contract.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

A few months ago, my wife crashed the courtesy car that I rented. I have reported it to icbc that my wife crashed it. But they determine that it's my fault because I'm the one who signed the paper. But it's all good cause all I have to do is return a crashed rental and let them deal with icbc.
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #6

I have experience in this subject.

You call the place you got the rental/courtesy car from and tell them what happened and bring the car back to be asap with supporting docs of what happened. Someone side swiped me in a courtesy Jetta when mine was in the shop two years ago during that crazy snow. Icbc will not take a claim from you, they will tell you to tell the rental place and have them make a claim.

You have to tell the rental place what went down and they have to make a claim since they own the car.

Any fault will be deducted from your insurance. Unless your sister was not suposed to be operating it.

1) Nothing to do with the body shop

2) Tell your rental place right now, bring the car back to them

3) Tell the rental place what happened, have them report it.

4) They will do the leg work from now on since they own the car. You won't be needed unless there is dispute over fault.

Last edited by subwoffers; 03-28-2011 at 12:04 AM.
subwoffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

your fucked
shtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtone View Post
your fucked
Wish I could fail you, can someone lend me one?

You can at least use the correct "You're" if you're gonna troll.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
there you go
whatta douchebag
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoffers View Post
Wish I could fail you, can someone lend me one?

You can at least use the correct "You're" if you're gonna troll.
come on dude this aint school, this is revscene... go back to reading a book u faggot

btw more than half the ppl here do not type properly so why dont u go tell them also
Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #11

Quote:
come on dude this aint school, this is revscene... go back to reading a book u faggot

btw more than half the ppl here do not type properly so why dont u go tell them also
That's because most people don't go into threads where someone is legitimately looking for help, and from the sound of it, a little worried at the situation and try to make them feel worse just so you can your post-count up.

Op is in a situation that's relatively uncommon and most people never encounter and all you have to contribute is a retarded comment that does not even make any sense. Hell, it wasn't even funny.

Yeah, I'm the huge faggot.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoffers View Post
Yeah, I'm the huge faggot.
thanks... btw i was just stating a fact which sounded like i was making him feel bad which i wasnt trying to do.. but clearly, hes fucked... oops i mean he's fucked
Old 03-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #13
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
your fucked
Quote:

Quote:
thanks... btw i was just stating a fact which sounded like i was making him feel bad which i wasnt trying to do.. but clearly, hes fucked... oops i mean he's fucked
how about not being a douchebag and helping out another member with respect to the OP's initial post. IMO, giving useless and negative comments when one person is asking a legit question should deserve points.

and to the OP, everyone else pretty much summed it up for ya
Contact your rental car company and notify them of what happened. They'll do the rest for ya. Good luck!
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #14
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

As others have said, it is the rental companies problem to deal with now.
Insurance from the the car in the shop transfers over to the rental, but you may have to pay the rental company your deductible until the everything is sorted and the company knows the other person's insurance is covering the damage.
As far as your sister driving, i wouldn't be overly concerned with that since she was likely insured to drive the original car (in the shop), and because it wasn't her fault so someone else is on the hook for the damage. Was she added to the rental contract?

The body shop has nothing to do with it, and your parent's will probably only be out their deductible until the issue is cleared up.

edit: also, pics of sister please.

Last edited by JS1988; 03-28-2011 at 07:06 AM. Reason: need sister pics
JS1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

is it just bumper damage?

it would have been nice if the person who hit the car would have offered some money to not get insurance involved...

best of luck.

also i know a bodyshop that will probably fix it up for pretty cheap, if it needs to go that route.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #16
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
adminpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Chow View Post
giving useless and negative comments when one person is asking a legit question should deserve points.
You bet it does!

Afterwords, I was all like
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
is it just bumper damage?

it would have been nice if the person who hit the car would have offered some money to not get insurance involved...

best of luck.

also i know a bodyshop that will probably fix it up for pretty cheap, if it needs to go that route.

they won't be able to take the car anywhere.

the rental company will just send them the bill if insurance is voided.
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #18
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Typically in this scenario, since it's a rental towards an ICBC claim, the insurance from your own vehicle is transferred onto the rental.

Just let the rental know the details of the accident and have your sister call ICBC dial a claim 604-522-8222 to obtain a claim number, pass that info onto rental company and they'll deal with it. Being a rear ender, good chance there will not be any cost to the end user (your sister).

Good luck. Post back here on what happens.
Posted via RS Mobile
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #19
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggdis300 View Post

they won't be able to take the car anywhere.

the rental company will just send them the bill if insurance is voided.
well unless you dont want to get any insurance involved, and fix it at your own expensive. if its just bumper damage. $300 give or take and its fixed.

this also goes if you have XX amount of days left with the courtesy car.

I know this isnt the ideal solution, im just suggesting it as a last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Oni KyoKan View Post
Typically in this scenario, since it's a rental towards an ICBC claim, the insurance from your own vehicle is transferred onto the rental.

Just let the rental know the details of the accident and have your sister call ICBC dial a claim 604-522-8222 to obtain a claim number, pass that info onto rental company and they'll deal with it. Being a rear ender, good chance there will not be any cost to the end user (your sister).
Good luck. Post back here on what happens.
Posted via RS Mobile
this is true, ICBC may be nice and willing to not hold you faulty if the accident is 100% not your fault. I was once rear ended in a family friends car that was not insured under me (basic insurance, 10+ experience, no third party, etc). Because it was 100% not my fault, and the person who hit me was trying to ignore ICBC. They told me they gave me this one time deal. Anything else, and its void.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #20
retired

Dial-a-claim is actually (604) 520-8222.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #21
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Oooops.
Posted via RS Mobile
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #22
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanks to those who contributed useful information. I went with my sister to icbc yesterday. Seems pretty straight forward. Either way, we would not be responsible for the deductible, final bill or any other fees. The rental car company has been notified and didn't really seem to mind. They even offered us another car which we declined as we didn't want to make the matter more complicated.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote