REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #26
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheDLo View Post
dont think you can avoid it... shit happens.
Guess that's the case then. Its kind of sad to see someone slowly walking towards your car with a stick and not being able to do anything about it.
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #27
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Well depends on the situation, is it full of traffic or is my rear clear? I would throw it in reverse, drop it in neutral if on a hill, light rev there's ways to have avoided this situation. Yes he's blind, I understand that but what if I was a major car enthusiast that just loves my car? Not all blind people are 'completely' blind, that said if he can't walk across the street within the pedestrian borders. maybe he really shouldn't leave his house or use a guide dog.

Look just because buddy is blind, he's not holy to do whatever. Big damage or small damage, because some of you guys are making it sound like the mans Jesus Christ without eyes. I'll acknowledge that just because I can see doesn't give me the right to act like an asshole and give him hell either, I understand the man is blind.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #28
#savethemanuals

^ Couldn't reverse. But I could have given him a light rev I guess? Thanks for actually answering the question.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #29
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

SEriously i thought u were gonna say that next time you would just back up a bit to avoid another caning......
Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #30
#savethemanuals

^ I would love to have been able to do that but I didn't know the guy was going to hit me until it was too late and I couldn't have reversed or I would have hit the car behind me.

Somehow I think its weird how people will just bend over and take damage because the guy is blind without even trying to avoid it. I mean, there has to be a way that won't endanger him and will allow you to escape having damaged property
Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #31
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I think using your voice sends a clearer message than honking or revving.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheDLo View Post
dont think you can avoid it... shit happens.
this
Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #33
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
maybe he was just checking to see if you have fully stopped... that IS his way of seeing.

anyways OP, good that you aint raging. I've seen so many people raging at the blind when it comes to crossing and stuff
Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #34
Need my Daily Fix of RS

should have beat him up, that would teach him for being blind
Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #35
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Gatta agree with Geoc, verbal communication will probably be better than honking your horn. After all, a honk can be interpretted as many messages.

He's no jesus, but give the person some sympathy. I know your car is your baby and like a mother you will protect it all cost. But that's just metaphorical. Though you put sweat, hardwork, and care; in the end a car is just an object, suck it up.

You can have many cars, but a person can only have one life.

OP you handled the situation very well
Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #36
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
this
no way. Some things are truly out of your control (natural disasters, etc) but this isn't. Honking may not be right and I acknowledge that what I posted in my first post was an overreaction but you guys make it sound like that blind people can stick their canes up your asses and you wouldn't at least try to do anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Picard View Post
maybe he was just checking to see if you have fully stopped... that IS his way of seeing.

anyways OP, good that you aint raging. I've seen so many people raging at the blind when it comes to crossing and stuff
I was fully stopped, he just came closer and closer to me probably to get away from traffic but cmon, you know there are cars beside you, why swing that cane like you're playing golf or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.Rossi View Post
Look just because buddy is blind, he's not holy to do whatever. Big damage or small damage, because some of you guys are making it sound like the mans Jesus Christ without eyes. I'll acknowledge that just because I can see doesn't give me the right to act like an asshole and give him hell either, I understand the man is blind.
Posted via RS Mobile
^ People please read this!!!! Especially those of you who are acting all high and mighty. This is exactly what I believe needs to happen in situations like this.

I don't get pissed off at blind people. I made the thread to figure out if there was a way to avoid this again.

What pisses me off now is how so many people are willing to just let a blind person walk all over them. This one time this happened to me sucks but you know what, I just let it go without doing anything because it was the right thing to do in my opinion. And when I ask how to not let it happen again people tell me to just suck it up. I don't think its right that people say this is something out of your control - we can change the outcome without hurting the guy or having our stuff damaged.

And I repeat - I OVERREACTED WHEN I SAID I WOULD HONK NONSTOP. I wasn't thinking about what could happen to the guy when I first posted this so there.

Last edited by Energy; 03-29-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #37
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
If I was the blind guy and you laid on your hor i'd kick your car. Hell, if I was the guy walking behind the blind dude when you did that i'd kick your car. Stop being a prissy little bitch.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #38
#savethemanuals

^ Can you not read? I edited my first post to say that I wouldn't honk at him. And then on my post right on top of you I repeated it twice.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
no way. Some things are truly out of your control (natural disasters, etc) but this isn't. Honking may not be right and I acknowledge that what I posted in my first post was an overreaction but you guys make it sound like that blind people can stick their canes up your asses and you wouldn't at least try to do anything about it.
don't worry about the honking part; i know what you mean haha

All depends on the circumstances bro. you said you "didn't notice him coming closer and closer", so there was fuck all you could've done this time, whether it be honking, talking aloud, etc.

change it up a little... this time you see him 5 feet away, swingin' away as he was. Clearly, there's not enough time to roll down your window and say something. SO. two options: 1. do nothing, and take the hit or 2. honk, and have no idea of what his reaction might be.
You said you wouldn't honk, so again.. fuck all you could've done even in this situation.

Now, had you seen him from 30 feet away and in a parking lot, (and you really cared about the bumper), provided the circumstances, you could even step out of your car and making sure he comes nowhere close to your car with that cane swingin' away

so yeah. in your specific case, given that you didn't see him approaching, shit does happen. suck it up bro

all depends on the circumstances. i was walking with my iphone to my ear in a crowded hallway, and this dude bumps into me. dropped my phone, screen shattered. one of those times where you just can't react in time.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #40
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
[quote=Energy;7366604]
Quote:
^ Can you not read? I edited my first post to say that I wouldn't honk at him. And then on my post right on top of you I repeated it twice.
Evidently not. Next time just delete the sentence.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #41
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
don't worry about the honking part; i know what you mean haha

All depends on the circumstances bro. you said you "didn't notice him coming closer and closer", so there was fuck all you could've done this time, whether it be honking, talking aloud, etc.

change it up a little... this time you see him 5 feet away, swingin' away as he was. Clearly, there's not enough time to roll down your window and say something. SO. two options: 1. do nothing, and take the hit or 2. honk, and have no idea of what his reaction might be.
You said you wouldn't honk, so again.. fuck all you could've done even in this situation.

Now, had you seen him from 30 feet away and in a parking lot, (and you really cared about the bumper), provided the circumstances, you could even step out of your car and making sure he comes nowhere close to your car with that cane swingin' away

so yeah. in your specific case, given that you didn't see him approaching, shit does happen. suck it up bro

all depends on the circumstances. i was walking with my iphone to my ear in a crowded hallway, and this dude bumps into me. dropped my phone, screen shattered. one of those times where you just can't react in time.
Yep, depends on circumstances. Given the circumstances this time I didn't do anything because there was nothing to be done. What I wanted to know was for next time.

Maybe if there is a next time there wouldn't be a car behind me. Then I'd reverse. Maybe there's no traffic and I rev at him because I know even if he moves slightly towards the traffic lanes he won't get hit. Maybe next time its not raining and I have my windows down and can yell at him in time.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #42
#savethemanuals

[quote=GabAlmighty;7367192]
Quote:

Evidently not. Next time just delete the sentence.
I left it so you guys would know that I know I made a mistake and that I admit to it.

And yet people don't take the time to read and pass judgment in the heat of the moment. Kind of like what I did when I first posted that. Funny how it works eh?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #43
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
next time, break his legs tough guy

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #44
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
next time, break his legs tough guy
Here's a man of action. Too bad I'm not a caveman like you.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #45
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

People have already suggested how you could avoid the situation, whether it be using your voice or giving yourself more space between the cross walk and your car, why are you trying to seek more answers when these are sufficient. How likely is this going to happen again, what's the likely hood of YOU paying attention to EVERY single thing that passes your car every second? Now that this has happened maybe you will personally pay extra attention to people who are blind and warn them before they get closer to your car.

"What pisses me off now is how so many people are willing to just let a blind person walk all over them."

People say suck it up if the damage has already been done. You could pull over, chase the guy and ask him to pay for the damage but is that worth a 300 deductable? You can do it privately, if it makes you feel better. Cost benifit. In addition, it depends on the situation, normally people make just decision's whether something is wrong or right despite someone being blind. Whether they choose if there is reparation is soley up to them.

Last edited by xyz123; 03-29-2011 at 11:11 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #46
#savethemanuals

^ yeah, I know.

I'm sure I'd notice someone waving a stick around?

You're right, this thread is now pointless because everything is just being repeated again and again. So I'll leave it at this now. Thanks for all the advice both good and bad and I know now to try to be more accommodating when possible.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #47
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Dont these walking sticks have a big rubber ball on the end?? Did he do it on purpose? Think he saw you and decided he didnt like your face so he would put a minor scratch on your bumper? Tts a bumper, by design they are supposed to bump things. If you've got a $6000 paint job, then maybe you could consider asking him to pay for the damage.

Put yourself in his shoes. You are out walking to safeway. (blind people have to eat too) You come up to an intersection (which you cant see, only feel with your walking stick) as your checking to see if its safe and you realize its not, because you have felt (seen) a car, but you also know its stopped so you are ok to go. All the sudden you got some punk ass kid giving you attitude and demanding you pay for damages to his car (which you cant actually see or know even exsists) Personally if I were the blind guy Id tell you to get fucked unless someone I know was around to help out.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #48
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Reminds me of this episode of boondocks where grandpa get raged at stinkmeaner and fought him, but killed the blind man by mistake.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Let me tell you how to prevent blind man's attack. Buy a bumper Bra. How often does a blind man walk across your car? What if he is deaf,, your honk would be useless. Just back up next time.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #50
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,759 Posts
Blind people should not be swinging their cane around hard enough to damage a vehicle's paint.

Being blind is not an excuse for being careless.

If I was you, I would have at the very least told the man to be more careful with his cane. Maybe he wouldn't be so careless the next time.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread