REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
LF: Free photographer for a joint photo/film shoot

As the title states, I'm looking for a professional photographer who's willing to donate some time to do a joint shoot. I have a model lined up and want to shoot a "behind the scenes" mini video. If there are any volunteers, shoot me a PM and I'll give you more information. An indoor studio would be nice but if none is available, I can create an outdoor location to be used.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
No offense, but no professional would do anything for free with their line of work. Aspiring amateurs, sure, but not pros.
Posted via RS Mobile
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

That's not true, I still do free work and know lots of pros making 100k+ a year that does free projects. Just depends on how much benefit they get out of it whether it be for promo or to help out a friend/return a favor. Also availability.
Posted via RS Mobile
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
No offense, but no professional would do anything for free with their line of work. Aspiring amateurs, sure, but not pros.
Posted via RS Mobile
Funny, when I was doing film work full time professionally, I still volunteered my time. I suppose everyone is different though. Besides, I'm not necessarily looking for a "professional," but someone who has professional equipment so that the shoot from the video perspective looks real.

As for the shoot, the photographer would be doing their own shooting of the model and would be allowed to keep all photos for their own use. I'd simply like copies of a couple photos for my website and to integrate into the video I'm doing, and they don't need to be photoshopped or altered in any way. Raw photos are fine. Indoor shooting would be lingerie style, and outdoors would be a bit more casual wear.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Whoever ends up doing this, can I tag along to watch and learn? I'm not confident enough myself to do this, posed portraiture is not my forte.
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #6
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
As Jackson stated, that is totally false. Many, many professional photographers donate their time for charity, maybe even assisting another photographer on a potentially fun shoot, or maybe mentoring someone. Of course, it will depend on the situation. If Coca Cola wanted a photographer to work for free on a commercial shoot for them, they'd get a big "Fuck you," but if the Canadian Red Cross wanted a photographer to cover some fund raising event, I can name at least 10 pros who would do it without thinking and give it their all. I'm not a full time pro, but I've done pro bono work for some pros on creative shoots and also the YWCA & an association that provides services for low income single mothers in the Downtown Eastside.

I was mentored by one of the top B&W darkroom fine art photographers in the city, and I am eternally grateful for that.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #7

Also majority of editorials are free work unless you're commissioned as in house photographer for nat geo or time, etc etc. Shoot for Vogue? Bragging rights only
Old 04-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dub View Post
Whoever ends up doing this, can I tag along to watch and learn? I'm not confident enough myself to do this, posed portraiture is not my forte.
+1 d:
Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
ddr
Snapping away

+2

on a similar note, what about the ppl that complain about photographers doing work for free or for a discount because it hurts the industry?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddr View Post
+2

on a similar note, what about the ppl that complain about photographers doing work for free or for a discount because it hurts the industry?
That's mainly towards businesses that take advantage of the TFP principle. They claim you can "gain experience" while they take your images to make them profit, ie. to promote their business/product with your images for the purpose of sales. There actually isn't anything wrong with this because they are aware of the trade off in hiring a 'free' or 'discounted' photographer such as inconsistent photos or not showing up at all. Usually newer or poorly developed businesses that aren't doing so well will do this type of transaction because their money is more valuable than the risk of wasting time or the final result. Coca cola isn't going to do this because the risk of a reshoot or having a photographer not care will cost more than the $50k+ they pay for a day rate.

Now the key thing is, if you are complaining about free work or reduced rates killing your photography business, then you need to re-evaluate yourself as a photographer. Either your photo skills are not up to par or your sales and marketing approach is not effective. If you have the skill and know how to market it, you'll be getting good paying jobs, even if this means doing SELECTIVE free shoots here and there to make the contacts/test new concepts.

There will always be a younger photographer willing to undercut the market to make a few hundred bucks to gain reputation or make some quick cash. You can either 1. complain about it and continue at that skill level or 2. understand this concept and learn to make the most of your resources to push yourself beyond it. People that complain about the free work killing the market aren't focusing on what they should be focusing on.