REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
RS controls my life!

Quick question on Doctor's note

hey guys, quick question... if I need a doctor's note, can I just get it from any walk in clinic or do I actually have to see the doctor, and then ask him/her to get a doctor's note while paying for it? thanks
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG111 View Post
get the fuck out if you don't have anything productive to say. troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing666 View Post
No seriously....I think I really enjoy penis. I think about it all the time.
ASG111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

walk in clinic, when u see the doctor tell him u need a note.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Be warned: Different doctors have different policies on notes. It depends heavily on who it's for and what it says.

Also if it's for your work place or school, verify their policy on such things (I don't accept walk in clinic notes for extended sick leave for example).
Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
also bring cash cause it will cost you $20 or so
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
I went to a walk in clinic a few months back and I was given a doctors note free of charge.

It really depends on each doctor so it's hard to say. Though, I think if you're just planning on asking them for a note without an exam they will charge you.
Posted via RS Mobile
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
got a note from walk in before but they charged... the didnt give it to me the 2nd time i asked...

both time my doc was away so had to see the walk in
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Also have him write "No faking no faking no faking" a bunch of times on it
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Be warned: Different doctors have different policies on notes. It depends heavily on who it's for and what it says.

Also if it's for your work place or school, verify their policy on such things (I don't accept walk in clinic notes for extended sick leave for example).
Really? Why? My only option since my doctor left for Europe is walk ins. When I was off for a month with a medical illness, the walkin I go to was more than sufficient to determine what was wrong with me. Going to the hospital would have made me sit in the waiting room for hours on end simply to get a note.
Posted via RS Mobile
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Yeah if someone's in a real bind and can't get one I can/will make exceptions, but I'll also call around and try and find a family doctor though for my employees for them because frankly, everyone needs one.

But too many people go to a walk in and go 'ohh my stomach hurts can you give me a flu note' and then go to the beach or back to bed to sleep off their hang over. That's not kosher. So if someone's going to be absent for long enough that they're using more than their standard sick time (which would mean if you're seriously sick to be gone more than a week), I ask for a family doctor note or a hospital bracelet.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I don't know newgirl. Ive gone to my family MD and i told him i need 2 weeks off because "im ill" and he wrote me a note.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

went to my family doctor to get a note today since i've been getting major migraine headaches, stuffed up nose and a itchy throat. doc gave me a note but won't fill in my university form for my missed class. since they said doc notes are not suffice and needs the doc to fill their own forms. but the family doctor refused..

would i be able to head into any walk-in clinics to get them to re-evaluate me and fill the form out?
JulyZerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
I don't get it

Most doctors don't give a damn about ur forms (school or work) no matter what the matter is any doctors note will count... He is a doctor for a reason ( as lame some are) he doesn't have to justify shit to ur employer or school... And thenewgirl... I'd love to see what u would do if someone refuses to follow ur stupid policy hahaha... If ur worker has a doctor note from a walk in clinic he can tell u to shove it if u want anything more.
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:

Interesting. What kind of ramifications would YOU face if the employee provided you with a "walk-in clinic" note that said he/she needed 2.5weeks off and you did not give it to them?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I think if it is for short term like 1 to 2 days a note from a walk in should be fine.

Anymore more than a few days should be a note for a family doctor or the hospital because like likely if you need more days off it will be something more serious and should be treat by someone.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I think if it is for short term like 1 to 2 days a note from a walk in should be fine.

Anymore more than a few days should be a note for a family doctor or the hospital because like likely if you need more days off it will be something more serious and should be treat by someone.
Meh. I had bronchitis a few years ago that was exasperated by a tear in my lung from coughing too hard and too much. My walk-in clinic doctor was competent enough to diagnose it and prescribe me the medication I needed. He also told me to take three weeks off work, as I work in a very dusty and dirty environment most of the time. Funny enough, my boss was fine with that note from a simple walk-in doctor.

I'm not sure why a family doctor would make any difference. Walk-in clinic doctors are just as well trained as a family doctor; the only difference is the office and their patients.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
doctors note is a doctors note regardless of a family doc or walk in clinic doc. it should be accepted by your employer. imagine the liability on the employer if they declined your note and something did happen to you.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Why would u need a doctors note when u can print one out yourself?
Posted via RS Mobile
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #18
Old School RS

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
But too many people go to a walk in and go 'ohh my stomach hurts can you give me a flu note' and then go to the beach or back to bed to sleep off their hang over. That's not kosher. So if someone's going to be absent for long enough that they're using more than their standard sick time (which would mean if you're seriously sick to be gone more than a week), I ask for a family doctor note or a hospital bracelet.
... nobody is going to fake being sick for more than a week to go to the beach or sleep off a hangover. Most people don't get paid for sick days or especially beyond a couple, so the motivation to take that much time off for a BS reason is ultra low.

Mark
Old 10-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
walk-in should be acceptable.

how often is it that you can phone your family doctor and get in to see them the same day unless it is an emergency?

Also, if your employer requires a doctor's note for being off work for a few days due to a cold or flu, why would you have to see a doctor to prove it? I know I am sick...I know is it a cold...why waste my doctor's time? it's not like they can do anything about it.

Unless you are sick enough to get medication or are going to be off for more that 3-4 days, going to a doctor for a cold or flu or to get a note is just an abuse of the system.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #20
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
i remember years ago i had a professor who wasn't satisfied with a doctors note (stamped for verification from the clinic as well)

and demanded she received a Letter from the doctor, not a note, addressed to her specifically and she wanted the clinic to verify the letter in writing and not with a stamp

claiming i could fake a note and i told her if you didnt trust me giving you a note what difference would it make if i gave you a letter?

i told her to call the clinic and verify it herself but she wouldn't; so instead of starting shit i asked for what she wanted and the doctor told me to just tell her "to go to hell"

so i wrote to the Dean (of the dpt) and my doctor spoke with the Dean over the phone and the Dean told the prof. to go to hell

my doctor is my family member btw
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #21
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Also, if your employer requires a doctor's note for being off work for a few days due to a cold or flu, why would you have to see a doctor to prove it? I know I am sick...I know is it a cold...why waste my doctor's time? it's not like they can do anything about it.

Unless you are sick enough to get medication or are going to be off for more that 3-4 days, going to a doctor for a cold or flu or to get a note is just an abuse of the system.
Exactly!

Perhaps it has come to the point in some companies where employees have been calling in sick too often and it has been affecting productivity/efficiency/W.H.Y., and installing a blanket policy of requiring a note for every absence somehow mitigated that. Is it a case of some bad apples ruining everyone's credibility? Might be the situation in entry-level temporary jobs where no one sticks around for long.

In any case, it's a sad state of things if you can't stay home sick from work without a piece of damn paper.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #22
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
It depends on the level of job, and the time required off.

I worked for Maersk, kind of a big deal in shipping and even though we were really conservative about a lot of things, I never had to provide a note for being sick. It was never even considered for the entry level people, or even the union warehouse workers.

If I suspected someone was abusing it, I'd pull them aside and ask for a note the next time.

More relevant for me was the late policy. When I was first starting, I was about 10 minutes late one day. The supervisor said some snotty comment about it. Then the next day I was late, and I get another snotty comment. I get called into the office with her and the manager. Cool. That's your choice. So I said to them both, "yeah, funny thing, I stayed about 2 hours yesterday getting shit done. Did you get an ot slip for it? I doubt you did, as I never made one out. And I don't. I have a managerial mindset, and the idea of over time doesn't sit well. So we can do things however you want. Let me know."

Funny, no one ever said anything about what time I came, or left ever again. Oh, and I got promoted. A lot.

When I became supervisor, the first thing I did was have an adaptive policy on things. It's called the honor system. I had some people that came early when they needed to come, and came late some other times. They also busted their ass for the clients. Sometimes as a thanks, when they had a long lunch, I'd look the other way. Other times when their was a shipment that needed to go, I knew they weren't leaving at the bell.

Now I had another woman, that if you'd ask her to complete a 10 minute task, she'd tell you she was off in 5 minutes. That's also cool. You are within your rights to do so. You are also the first person I'm going to rake over the coals for being 5 minutes late entering the office.

Choose your own level of involvement.

I never understood the idea that I need to treat all employees equally. If you are in a union, then yes, you are all just drones in the machine. That's the system you signed up for. But as I did, you can be a straight 8-4, 8 hours type person, or a 40hrs per week when needed type person.

For me, setting a blanket policy now sets in motion a system where we need to cheat the system. I know damned well that sometimes people are "sick" and sometimes they are really sick. That's just the way it works. Funny, as a manager, myself, occasionally I was "sick". Funny how those days coincided with slow days at the office when everything was taken care of.

I just take a pragmatic view of these things. It's going to happen. It doesn't just happen here. Abuse it, and we talk. Choose a shitty day when I need to work harder to cover your shit and we talk.

If I had an employer that was specific in what the note needed to say, and where it was from and who it was signed by, I'd wonder what went so wrong that there can't be a level of trust that as an employee that shows up everyday, and takes pride in what I do that you can take my word on something.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #23
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I just show my prescription slip lol. I guess if they require a note, I'd ask my doctor. My family doctor SUCKS, so I've moved to a clinic as well and always see the same doctor there. Asking a note from a "family doctor" is too demanding IMO.

Edit - I was also very close to stealing a doctors note pad on my last visit. Imagine the things I'd get away with
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #24
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
ha, what a coincidence. I just went to get a doctor's note just yesterday and guess what? my doc was strong dgaf and wrote whatever i needed him to write. so if anyone is trying to argue credibility of a family doctor vs a walk in clinic doctor, it's not an argument you will ever win.

at my job, any absences from 1-2 days do NOT require a note whatsoever. we also have paid sick leave hours. even when i was absent from work for 2 weeks with an eye injury, i was asked to provide a note and never did.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #25
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Why would you have to pay a doctor for just a note?? It's like greasing them to write whatever you want
accordpoop is offline   Reply With Quote