REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #26
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicbeardman View Post
Yes, but the K series in my car is weak sauce. I am just wondering whether it would be worth it to spend extra money on a k20a2, when I can just get a Prelude for the price of my Civic.

I guess the consensus is to keep the civic.
The cost of k-series swaps has come down significantly, if you took the time to search and wait for a good deal I'd be willing to bet that you can get a k20a2 swap for under $2000. Plus, you still have the k20a3 and you can probably sell that for $500.
Advertisement
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The cost of k-series swaps has come down significantly, if you took the time to search and wait for a good deal I'd be willing to bet that you can get a k20a2 swap for under $2000. Plus, you still have the k20a3 and you can probably sell that for $500.
Really? The transmission alone is over a grand, unless I'm not looking hard enough.
Posted via RS Mobile
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #28
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Really? The transmission alone is over a grand, unless I'm not looking hard enough.
Posted via RS Mobile
I've seen a couple swaps in that range locally, but I seem to have pretty good luck with finding cheap used parts.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #29
RabidMod

Thanked 1,082 Times in 404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucki View Post
Say what!? I used to own a Prelude (5th gen) and I gave you a ride in it back in the day when I used to do autocross! Remember the red one? Yellow fogs? It was when you still had the Mazda 3. It wasn't a bad ride was it? Although I had aftermarket suspension installed at the time, I can honestly say the car handled very well even with the stock suspension.

I have an Ep3 now (FOR SALE btw), and I can tell you I miss my Prelude more than I will be missing this. Its not that the Civic is not a great handling car, but the engine of the two vehicles are so fundamentally different, it is hard to compare. When Vtec kicks in for the ep3 (if it qualifies as Vtec) at 2200rpm, it is NOT noticeable at all. It is only on the intake cam, and there is no special high-rpm profiles at all. The prelude however, when Vtec kicked in, you KNOW its working. Its a full vtec system with intake and exhaust timing and it feels completely different. The sound too, makes the experience two very different thing.

HOWEVER, given a choice back then, I think I will still stick with the ep3 because it is much MUCH better on gas, (burns less and only 87 vs 91 for prelude) and there is a noticeable difference in more low end torque on the ep3, which suits my everyday driving needs.

Go with the k20a2, you won't regret it.
Oh crap I should've known you're on here too hahahaha.

You're right though, that was pretty good =). I guess my other friend's isn't in as good condition then, because when I drove an EP3 shortly after, it was a big difference to me.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
i thought k20a swaps are usually over 10k...how come you can get k20a2's for a few thousand? it's not that much different, no?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #31
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
The cheapest I have ever found a K20a2 was for 2800 that was engine and trans and I didn't have the funds at the time so I couldn't get it. Where are you finding these cheap K20s??? haha

I guess I'll keep the Civic. I'm also thinking of a K24A2 instead of the K20. Any opinions on what would be better for the Civic?
epicbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #32
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i thought k20a swaps are usually over 10k...how come you can get k20a2's for a few thousand? it's not that much different, no?
k20a swap is over 10k for an EG or EK series civic. lot more labour and parts involved with a swap like that. for an EP3, it's easier since the mounts will line up perfectly and other stuff. heck, I'm sure you can re-use the stock 5spd if you really wanted to.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #33

Either way, even if you swap in another motor, don't you need a k-pro to run the motor?

Second best option would be the k24a2. A bunch of people on ep hatch favor this motor.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #34
RabidMod

Thanked 1,082 Times in 404 Posts
Quote:
Either way, even if you swap in another motor, don't you need a k-pro to run the motor?

Second best option would be the k24a2. A bunch of people on ep hatch favor this motor.
Posted via RS Mobile
Is the VTEC changeover noticeable on the K24 paired to a manual? I felt nothing driving a loaner TSX in 5AT haha.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #35
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicbeardman View Post
The cheapest I have ever found a K20a2 was for 2800 that was engine and trans and I didn't have the funds at the time so I couldn't get it. Where are you finding these cheap K20s??? haha

I guess I'll keep the Civic. I'm also thinking of a K24A2 instead of the K20. Any opinions on what would be better for the Civic?
I guess I'm just lucky

But seriously, I've seen a complete k20a2 swap for $1700 and another K20a2 w/ a 6 speed for $2500 recently. The deals are out there, you just need to find someone who was to cheap to pay for collision
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #36
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,256 Times in 1,620 Posts
OP, you should consider keeping your current engine and doing the type r head conversion. the biggest flaw in your engine is the head. you'll need other parts (ie k-pro) to make it work but it has been done many times before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
k20a swap is over 10k for an EG or EK series civic. lot more labour and parts involved with a swap like that. for an EP3, it's easier since the mounts will line up perfectly and other stuff. heck, I'm sure you can re-use the stock 5spd if you really wanted to.
^ truth! if you put a k-series into any EF/EG/EK/DC, it will easily surpass $10,000
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #37

Quote:
why can't you just re-wire the harness a little and run the stock k20a2 ECU?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #38
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
why can't you just re-wire the harness a little and run the stock k20a2 ECU?
You can run the stock ECU on a K-series swap, but if you go that route you need to have the car towed to a dealership to reflash the ECU so that it will start with the new key.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Is the VTEC changeover noticeable on the K24 paired to a manual? I felt nothing driving a loaner TSX in 5AT haha.
Don't expect anything noticeable on the TSX, I think the engagement point is at 6000rpm.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #40

Quote:
You can run the stock ECU on a K-series swap, but if you go that route you need to have the car towed to a dealership to reflash the ECU so that it will start with the new key.
ohhhh, gotcha!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #41
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
Keep the EP3, even though the prelude might offer slightly more fun in power for spirited drives, in the end you will always want some practicality to lean back on which the prelude doesn't have, the back seats are stupidly cramped and the trunk is tiny. EP3, more refined, better mileage, more practical and still fun.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #42

If you guys see any 6 speed transmissions kicking around, LMK
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #43
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

The Prelude feels slow and bloated. The driving position is really bad also since you sit really low (like a celica) while the nose is really long so your view is really bad and it takes quite some time to adjust to that. I love Honda's and even with that bias I think the Prelude is subpar at best.

Your EP3 is a much much better car. It feels lighter, more peppy, the proportions are better (smaller = better handling), more modern design, and a hatch to boot.
cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:41 AM   #44
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

prelude because it looks sexy
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:26 AM   #45
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

thnx for the responses. I will pass on the Prelude for now. Thinking of another car now: something RWD to learn to drift in. Call it a pipe dream or whatever, but I'd like to learn the mechanics of going sideways.
if you guys had an ep3 would any of you guys trade it for say, a 240sx with an SR20/ae86/soarer/old supra, etc etc? If i sell my ep3 , i can probably get 6-7gs for it, plus the money I saved up for a k20 get go towards a busted ass 240 and an sr20. Looking at the long term, it's going to take tons more money to get an ep3 to put out as much power as an s13/14/supra/etc.
epicbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #46

if you are serious about learning how to drift, like really REALLY serious then buy a cheap 240sx. that way you can smash it up and stuff. cuz if you want to drift good, you're gonna be hitting stuff and breaking mechanical components fairly often.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #47
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
if you are serious about learning how to drift, like really REALLY serious then buy a cheap 240sx. that way you can smash it up and stuff. cuz if you want to drift good, you're gonna be hitting stuff and breaking mechanical components fairly often.
i have one that i'm trying to sell cause i got a new car
asking 1000 cause its rusty + speedo is not working. other than that good to go. manual of course. and red!! if i don't sell it to this guy who's been asking for a while i'll sell it to you!
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #48
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

If you're trying to sell your EP3, i'll gladly buy it off you. I've been looking around for one.
annamaaae is offline   Reply With Quote