REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
No shit something is happening. It's climate; climate BY DEFINITION is variable.

And yes, "Science" (capitalized) IS a religion to some. Complete this sentence: "If _______ says so, it must be true." - acceptable answers are a) God, b) Science.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #27
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
The issue of nuclear waste would be less of a big deal if people were less obstructionist.

There is a giant nuclear waste facility located in Nevada, far from any fault lines or ground water. The estimated life of the facility is (I believe) 10,000 years. And yet, people still feel that it is too unsafe. For an interesting and easy to watch anti-anti-nuclear point of view, I recommend watching Penn & Teller's Bullshit! Episode covering nuclear power.
Posted via RS Mobile
FYI, the Yucca Mountain waste site was never completed, funding was recently terminated and it now sits abandoned.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #28
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

On November 17, the architect of Fukushima Daiichi Reactor 3, Uehara Haruo, was interviewed in Japan. He warned that a “China Syndrome” situation is inevitable at the plant.

Haruo said that considering eight months have passed since the tsunami and the crippling of the nuclear plant without any improvement in the condition of the reactors, it is likely melted fuel has escaped the container vessel and is now burning through the earth.

On September 20, 2011, Hiroaki Koide, assistant professor at Kyoto University’s Research Reactor Institute, estimated that material from the nuclear fuel rods may be twelve meters deep underground at reactors one and three.

Haruo said debris is spreading in Pacific Ocean. On November 15, tons of radioactive debris reached the Marshall Islands.

If the fuel reaches an underground water source, Haruo explained, it will result in the contamination of water, soil and the sea. More catastrophic, underground super-heated water will ultimately create a massive hydrovolcanic explosion.

Although media in Japan and the alternative media have covered this story over the last few days, it has been uniformly ignored by the corporate media.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
I'm pro nuclear.

In fact, I don't know how many other people on Revscene can say that they've actually stood on a working reactor.

But I notice that a lot of pro nukies downplay the risk of Nuclear power. The fact is, the risk is huge and the outcome is potentially huge swaths of land becoming uninhabitable for 1000's of years. No other power generation technology has to potential to do that.

As for fukushima, they now know that a bunch of land is no longer safe for farming:

The big problem right now is that the majority Nuke plants are based on really old technology. I want to see new plants with modern technology and safeguards being built and replacing the old plants.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #30

Lets just say if it hits water the radiation will only get worse not better. Upgrades to newer tech in this economy? Yeah right, if anything there will be more failures.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #31
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
but electricity just travels over wires.... if the energy is as cheap as they make it out to be, it is probably not a bad tradeoff...

surely private power companies will think otherwise coz they are penny pinching bastards.
Your forgetting line loss. The longer it travels the less energy at the end. When BC Hydro sells California a kilowatt of electricity they charge them for a kilowatt but they don't receive a kilowatt because of line loss.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #32
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Place waste in barrels, concrete up, dump it into the ocean
I think you've mistaken nuclear waste with a dead hooker...
Posted via RS Mobile
97ITR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #33
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
No shit something is happening. It's climate; climate BY DEFINITION is variable.

And yes, "Science" (capitalized) IS a religion to some. Complete this sentence: "If _______ says so, it must be true." - acceptable answers are a) God, b) Science.
You forgot c) Alex Trebek that dudes always got the answers.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
Although media in Japan and the alternative media have covered this story over the last few days, it has been uniformly ignored by the corporate media.
How convenient. Got a link or anything else that shows this whole thing isn't bullshit? I mean, a link other than greenpeace.org or something.
Quote:
Old 11-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #35
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Posted via RS Mobile
Infam0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #36
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
With the exception of Germany, plenty of other countries are preparing to build a lot more nuclear facilities (China, Saudi, etc.).
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #37

How about you google search rising radiation levels in europe. Look at how many article published about it are main strem media. Back in chernobyl days people were told to throw away all the crops and not to eat anything from that region. Now no mention, so enjoy your radiation! Dont worry i'm sure big gov will warn if you there really is a problem worth more attention than pro sports and dancing with the stars!
Quote:
How convenient. Got a link or anything else that shows this whole thing isn't bullshit? I mean, a link other than greenpeace.org or something.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #38
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
they would, if the chances of the rocket blowing up and deadly nuclear waste raining death down upon millions wasnt so great.

i tell ya, if they ever get that space elevator up and running, we'd pollute space like no tomorrow. lol!
lol.. I can just imagine us throwing stuff out into space only to have our gravity pull that shit back at us lol like a boommmeerang XD..
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
How about you google search rising radiation levels in europe. Look at how many article published about it are main strem media. Back in chernobyl days people were told to throw away all the crops and not to eat anything from that region. Now no mention, so enjoy your radiation! Dont worry i'm sure big gov will warn if you there really is a problem worth more attention than pro sports and dancing with the stars!
What the fuck does Fukushima have to do with radiation levels in Europe?

What a cop-out: post radical claims supposedly made by some "expert" to some unknown, probably heavily-biased publication, and then when asked for proof, go off the rails with some kind of babbling BS.

You're the one posting the claims; the burden of proof is on you to back them up.
Quote:
Old 11-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #40
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,034 Times in 174 Posts
Fusion energy
Posted via RS Mobile
fs604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #41
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fs604 View Post
Fusion energy
Posted via RS Mobile
?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #42
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Yet, as far as we know, no one has yet received a lethal dose of radiation.
There was a news anchor who tried to promote that Fukashima was safe by eating foods made from that area or something every morning, on the news program. He died of leukemia.

Although it could be a coincidence, it could also be not.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fs604 View Post
Fusion energy
Posted via RS Mobile
Yeah, fusion is SO much better...

Quote:
Old 11-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #44
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

We shouldn't be listening to the opinions of idiot artsy-fartsies trying to write about complex scientific issues. The fact that one of the major premises in his argument that nobody has died from a lethal dose of radiation at Fukushima, while failing to take into consideration the increased cancer risk pretty much speaks for itself. It's almost as if he can only process information where his puny mind can see clear cause and effect.

I place credibility in the scientific community. The arts community can entertain me, they can design my furniture, they can make my coffee and they can sell me my IMACs but they shouldn't attempt to sway public policy on such critical issues.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #45
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

put nuclear wast in barrels dump them into volcanoes
dee242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #46
Need my Daily Fix of RS

marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #47

Well clearly you can't see the connection, radiation levels just mysteriously rise because they feel like it months after a major event happens. Yep totally not related lets build more.
Quote:
What the fuck does Fukushima have to do with radiation levels in Europe?

What a cop-out: post radical claims supposedly made by some "expert" to some unknown, probably heavily-biased publication, and then when asked for proof, go off the rails with some kind of babbling BS.

You're the one posting the claims; the burden of proof is on you to back them up.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #48

Gov't eyes Fukushima rice ban after high level of cesium detected
Gov't eyes Fukushima rice ban after high level of cesium detected ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion
Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant director sick, says TEPCO
Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant director sick, says TEPCO ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion
Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #49

Back in July, before the latest developments, Dr. Tatsuhiko Kodama of the Radioisotope Center at the University of Tokyo told the Japanese Diet the amount of radiation emitted from the plant was 29.6 times more than the amount of radiation from the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. Kodama announces the findings of his study in the following video.

TEPCO’s latest public relations effort to underplay the severity of the ongoing crisis at the plant once again reveals that there will be no serious effort to address the grave situation that may soon get much worse if Haruo’s prediction of a hydrovolcanic explosion occurs.

The Japanese government is also actively working to sweep the disaster under the rug. Its Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare recently eliminated Fukushima data from a patient survey it conducts every three years, according to the Fukushima Diary. According to the survey, leukemia cases have increased sevenfold over the last year, the highest rate since 1978 when the ministry first began collecting data.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #50
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i've been to fukushima, stayed at many of their awesome onsens, and been to the coast where they've got a great aquarium and serve fantastic crab sashimi, shame its no good anymore.

i'd still be concerned with nuclear power in a severe earthquake zone, having lived there for a few years and been through the niigata quake... i wouldn't be so confident if you lived within 50km's of a plant. tokyo being so far away from many of the plants... kind of puts the people into a bubble and they ignore whats going on around them.

Study shows deeper meltdown than thought at Fukushima nuclear reactor ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

Radioactive debris from melted fuel rods may have seeped deeper into the floor of a Japan’s tsunami-hit nuclear reactor than previously thought, to within a foot from breaching the crucial steel barrier, a new simulation showed Wednesday.

The findings will not change the ongoing efforts to stabilize the reactors more than eight months after the Fukushima Daiichi plant was disabled, but they harshly depict the meltdowns that occurred and conditions within the reactors, which will be off-limits for years.

The plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co said its latest simulation showed fuel at the No. 1 reactor may have eroded part of the primary containment vessel’s thick concrete floor. The vessel is a beaker-shaped steel container, set into the floor. A concrete foundation below that is the last manmade barrier before earth.

The fuel came within a foot of the container’s steel bottom in the worst-case scenario but has been somewhat cooled, TEPCO’s nuclear safety official Yoshihiro Oyama said at a government workshop. He said fuel rods in the No. 1 reactor were the worst damaged because it lost cooling capacity before the other two reactors, leaving its rods dry and overheated for hours before water was pumped in.

The nuclear crisis following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami caused massive radiation leaks and the relocation of some 100,000 people.

Another simulation on the structure released by the government-funded Japan Nuclear Energy Safety Organization, or JNES, said the erosion of the concrete could be deeper and the possibility of structural damage to the reactor’s foundation needs to be studied.

JNES official Masanori Naito said the melting fuel rods lost their shape as they collapsed to the bottom of the vessel, then deteriorated into drops when water pumping resumed, and the fuel drops spattered and smashed against the concrete as they fell, Naito said.

TEPCO and government officials are aiming to achieve “cold shutdown” by the end of the year _ a first step toward creating a stable enough environment for work to proceed on removing the reactors’ nuclear fuel and closing the plant altogether.

The government estimates it will take 30 years or more to safely decommission Fukushima Daiichi.
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote