REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Do licence plates get flagged?

I was talking to a friend of mine, and the subject of getting pulled over came up.

I drive an SL500, and almost every time a police car gets behind me I get pulled over. If I see a police car anywhere, they will automatically follow, pull me over, ask to see my licence and will let me go? I dont have to do anything to get pulled over... Example would be on the highway, in a group of three cars at 12:30am, police car will pull out, pass all three cars, drop back and get behind me, and pull me over, ask for my licence, and will let me go. Almost every week I've been pulled over once or twice, and only in this car, not anything else. My friend also gets pulled over constantly, but driving a Nissan Cedric VIP is probably why...

Ive been pulled over now at every time of day, early mornings, afternoons, late nights.

Ive never gotten a ticket (aside from getting pulled for a turn signal bulb, which the officer watched me change out infront of him, and let me go), and the car registered in my name has never once received a ticket, but someone told me my plate has probably been flagged in the police computer which is why I get pulled over constantly. I'm not a criminal, or have anything against my name...

If such a list exists, how do I get off it as it has become extremely annoying..?
Advertisement
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Young kid driving a nicer car than most police officers can afford? I'd be pulling you over too.

Sure, it's playing stereotypes.. but you're the one getting noticed in a nice car. Go drive a Civic, see how often you (don't) get pulled over.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Think about it for a moment: you've been pulled over multiple times, nothing found wrong (other than a tail light, ONCE), and let go. So let's assume your plate IS "flagged": a cop sees you, runs your plate, and gets... what? A whole lot of "pulled him over, found nothing wrong, let him go"?

Why on earth would a cop want to waste his time just to add another entry to that list?

Then again, you're not actually paranoid if they really ARE out to get you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,994 Times in 1,884 Posts
This happened to my friends brother a few years back. Young driver behind the wheel of an expensive car, just like in your situation. The closest thing he got to a ticket was a warning for no N sign but they let him go. When he bought his own car (Sentra) he stopped getting pulled over. It's no secret why someone like him and you would get pulled over. Yes it's annoying but gotta pay to play I guess.
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
I STILL don't get it

Change ur plate
Posted via RS Mobile
outlaw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Or you can simply ask them to see why they pulled you over, from what you say it won't be long til you have the chance.
Solo_D33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_D33A View Post
Or you can simply ask them to see why they pulled you over, from what you say it won't be long til you have the chance.

I wouldnt really ask that...

make the rage pig even more rage
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Contrary to popular belief, not all police officers are insane raging beasts.

If he seems friendly you can totally and politely ask, just don't sound like you're judging him for pulling you over.

"Excuse me officer, is this just a random check or did I do something wrong I should be aware of?" Or something like that.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
^ every single cop I have met since I got my lisence has been a complete asshole,

the ones you meet on the street are fine, its just the traffic ones.

the worst one ive ever seen was when I was disputing my first speeding ticket at 17, and outside the court room, the cop comes to me and says,

if you dont plead guilty in there im gonna ask the judge to take your lisence away,

I asked him why he would do something like that?

he said, "because I can"
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
^ every single cop I have met since I got my lisence has been a complete asshole,

the ones you meet on the street are fine, its just the traffic ones.

the worst one ive ever seen was when I was disputing my first speeding ticket at 17, and outside the court room, the cop comes to me and says,

if you dont plead guilty in there im gonna ask the judge to take your lisence away,

I asked him why he would do something like that?

he said, "because I can"
Cop: "Why are you disputing the ticket?"

Glove: "because I can"
Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #11
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Nest time you get pulled over, get the Badge number, and office the officer is based out of.. then go there, and tell them you are being harrased..

True story this same thing was happening to a buddy of mine, and he did this.. and never was bothered again.. (Unless he was doing something wrong)
Old 05-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
"[QUOTE=Glove;7426520]^ every single cop I have met since I got my lisence has been a complete asshole,

the ones you meet on the street are fine, its just the traffic ones."

Whew....glad you never came to the Island. I'd hate to not get your Christmas card next December.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #13

from my experience, 9/10 traffic cops are actually nice...

one told me to rev up my engine after I've given a pass by the other officer in a roadblock, he looked dis-satisfied

the other try to make me into saying a higher speed than I'm actually traveling, but I'm in the wrong anyways, so it doesn't really matter what I say at that point...

that's about it for the past almost 10 years of my life...
Solo_D33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
private modder

Thanked 2,606 Times in 732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Contrary to popular belief, not all police officers are insane raging beasts.

If he seems friendly you can totally and politely ask, just don't sound like you're judging him for pulling you over.

"Excuse me officer, is this just a random check or did I do something wrong I should be aware of?" Or something like that.
spoken like a true girl.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #15
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

It's quite something how you can go from a very aggressive officer to a very nice/polite one.

I`ve been pulled over by 2 cars at one time, or 1 then within minutes/seconds another one comes up flashing his lights. I tried to ask her if everything was ok or if i did anything wrong AFTER she returned with my license/insurance (I wanted to ask her after she returned with my information to find out what was the problem) and told me I was free to go. She looked appauled and then lectured me about how it doesn't matter or she can pull over anyone or something to that extent.

I've also been in a car where I was pulled over for just being "supicious" (it was a newer luxury car on the market at the time back in 2004/2005) and what happened? In the end I ended up outside the vehicle, with the officer inside my car sitting in the driver seat fiddling with my navi/radio system. It was a real treat to have someone be upfront and sincere about everything when being pulled over.

There are a few nice ones out there!!
sAMGc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
spoken like a true girl.
So is your face.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

ttt

Last edited by m4k4v4li; 04-27-2016 at 11:12 PM.
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #18
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAMGc View Post
It's quite something how you can go from a very aggressive officer to a very nice/polite one.

I`ve been pulled over by 2 cars at one time, or 1 then within minutes/seconds another one comes up flashing his lights. I tried to ask her if everything was ok or if i did anything wrong AFTER she returned with my license/insurance (I wanted to ask her after she returned with my information to find out what was the problem) and told me I was free to go. She looked appauled and then lectured me about how it doesn't matter or she can pull over anyone or something to that extent.

I've also been in a car where I was pulled over for just being "supicious" (it was a newer luxury car on the market at the time back in 2004/2005) and what happened? In the end I ended up outside the vehicle, with the officer inside my car sitting in the driver seat fiddling with my navi/radio system. It was a real treat to have someone be upfront and sincere about everything when being pulled over.

There are a few nice ones out there!!

Are cops even allowed to go inside your car or open your hood without your permission?
gearshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi View Post
I was talking to a friend of mine, and the subject of getting pulled over came up.

I drive an SL500, and almost every time a police car gets behind me I get pulled over. If I see a police car anywhere, they will automatically follow, pull me over, ask to see my licence and will let me go? I dont have to do anything to get pulled over... Example would be on the highway, in a group of three cars at 12:30am, police car will pull out, pass all three cars, drop back and get behind me, and pull me over, ask for my licence, and will let me go. Almost every week I've been pulled over once or twice, and only in this car, not anything else. My friend also gets pulled over constantly, but driving a Nissan Cedric VIP is probably why...

Ive been pulled over now at every time of day, early mornings, afternoons, late nights.

Ive never gotten a ticket (aside from getting pulled for a turn signal bulb, which the officer watched me change out infront of him, and let me go), and the car registered in my name has never once received a ticket, but someone told me my plate has probably been flagged in the police computer which is why I get pulled over constantly. I'm not a criminal, or have anything against my name...

If such a list exists, how do I get off it as it has become extremely annoying..?

I also drive the same car, never been pulled over and my car is modded plus blacked out. I think it has to do with your driving habits?
gearshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
friends brother insured his dads old e24 m6.
it was a heat car, got pulled over a alot.
he said every cop wanted to check if the car was actually his
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #21
RS Peace Officer

Plates do not get put into some "top secret" list.

We normally do not have the time to just randomly stop people when there are so many obvious infractions occuring around us.... Something would usually tweak our interest..... Since I do not know you or the situations I can not explain why u seem to be or feel targeted. I Richmond I see hundreds of cars like yours and a bunch that are even more exotic, I do not stop them unless I see them do something wrong. Again I do not have time to waste stopping people for no reason.

All Traffic Cops are nice, we are like a mirror. You see what you give....

And for future reference (see posting rules) I expect people posting in this forum to be respectful to the Police officers here. "calling me pig or an asshole etc" is not respectful nor is it useful to answering the question possed.

I will ban members for this.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearshifter View Post
Are cops even allowed to go inside your car or open your hood without your permission?
yes, as long as the cop has "reasonable grounds".
if you have nothing to hide, might as well let them do it.
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #23
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

whats the point of even asking why you got pulled over..... you think they dont have 20 different answers to that question??? for any person in any car.

My favourite as a cop pulled me over was " your license plate frame was too shiny and made the last letter of your plate difficult to read"

I didn't even ask him why I was getting pulled over. Just nod and let the douche get on with his miserable shift, if thats the case.

And no im not all anti-cop I've gotten tickets from perfectly nice policemen. Just in all honesty that does not happen to often and my attitude is always the same. Just the cars or bikes I drive aren't... funny how that works?
MJ17 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #24
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
You can be checked to see if you are sober, to see if you are complying with any restrictions (the driver is not always the owner), to see if the vehicle is mechanically compliant (not all vehicles are brand new), to see if the vehicle is stolen etc. You do not have to first visibly break the law to establish grounds, but if you have broken any laws then you just painted a target on yourself. Working late night shifts I would often check vehicles for all of those reasons, without any indication of traffic laws being broken. We would also set up check points and stop every single vehicle for the same reasons. Even we were surprised at times what we came across...everything from stolen vehicles, impairds, stolen property, prohib drivers, uninsured vehicles to people with outstanding warrants.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ17 View Post
whats the point of even asking why you got pulled over..... you think they dont have 20 different answers to that question??? for any person in any car.

My favourite as a cop pulled me over was " your license plate frame was too shiny and made the last letter of your plate difficult to read"

I didn't even ask him why I was getting pulled over. Just nod and let the douche get on with his miserable shift, if thats the case.

And no im not all anti-cop I've gotten tickets from perfectly nice policemen. Just in all honesty that does not happen to often and my attitude is always the same. Just the cars or bikes I drive aren't... funny how that works?
my sentiments exactly...
focus is offline   Reply With Quote