REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   sodium intake (https://www.revscene.net/forums/644999-sodium-intake.html)

unit 05-10-2011 01:28 PM

sodium intake

all i hear nowadays is about how sodium is just about the most evil thing you can put in your body.
i was eating a quarter pounder from mcd's one day for lunch, and i rarely eat fast food, and a coworker comes over and just HAS to comment on how much sodium is in my food.

"thats a whole days worth of sodium in there"

fucking ass.

is sodium the new cool thing to blame for everything health related?
i used to see "fat free" on every label, then "sugar free", then "lowers your cholesterol"....
now i see "reduced sodium"

whats your take on this matter? are sodium intake fears way overblown? how off are the recommended daily intakes?

SkinnyPupp 05-10-2011 06:48 PM

Yup, as more info reaches the mainstream on how fat is not actually bad for you, the freakouts have to be directed elsewhere. Salt is the next target, despite the fact that it is the most abundant electrolyte in our body.

Pay no mind to it; as long as you don't have kidney failure, any amount of salt you can take in any sort of realistic diet (including eating fast food every day) will do no harm.

LiquidTurbo 05-10-2011 07:56 PM

I always thought that if your sodium intake is high, just drink more water?

Ulic Qel-Droma 05-10-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7428989)
I always thought that if your sodium intake is high, just drink more water?

it still has to pass through your system. i duno, ive had a pretty high sodium diet my entire fucking life. i love salt. maybe i'll die when im 40 of a heart attack.

cliffhanger33 05-11-2011 01:09 AM

Sodium tends to cause a need for more water being retained within our body. To combat and prevent this, we should take in less sodium and/or drink an adequate supply of water throughout the day, around 8 glasses a day, to clean your body from any sort of water retention.
If you don't drink ennuff water throughout day, your body's will tend to hold water and store it because you are not getting enough from outside sources, therefore, this will cause your muscles to obscure and you look softer and weaker than you really are. Then this could be mistakened for fat, and it adds unnecessary weight to your body as well. So I guess, just drink more water (enough water) and u dont have to worry about water retention and all that stuff.

Matlock 05-11-2011 01:56 AM

Japanese diet contains a shit load of sodium and just look at how long they live.

TheNewGirl 05-11-2011 07:51 AM

High sodium intake can screw up your body in chemical ways. Sodium draws water to it and with it various other things that are required for optimum firing of all your neurons. But it's also important to have SOME so that we stay hydrated, and maintain our blood volume.

That said, I would be more worried about the corn syrup in the bun and patty of your big mac or what ever you washed it down with then the salt in it.

SkinnyPupp 05-11-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGirl (Post 7429520)
High sodium intake can screw up your body in chemical ways. Sodium draws water to it and with it various other things that are required for optimum firing of all your neurons. But it's also important to have SOME so that we stay hydrated, and maintain our blood volume.

That said, I would be more worried about the corn syrup in the bun and patty of your big mac or what ever you washed it down with then the salt in it.

The patty is pretty much the only good thing in the big mac. :facepalm:

sonick 05-11-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

A six-year European study suggests that, while salt did cause "a slight uptick in systolic blood pressure" over time, their findings didn't really support a "society-wide cutback in salt intake." In fact, people on low-salt diets were more likely to die from a stroke or heart attack.
http://eater.com/archives/2011/05/04...dium-diets.php

Eat salt at a moderate level and don't worry about it. i.e. don't actively bother trying to avoid salt, but don't go eating a whole bag of salt & vinegar chips.

buddy 05-11-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7428902)

Pay no mind to it; as long as you don't have kidney failure, any amount of salt you can take in any sort of realistic diet (including eating fast food every day) will do no harm.

But will the salt put more work load on the kidney?

TheNewGirl 05-11-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7429527)
The patty is pretty much the only good thing in the big mac. :facepalm:

Hey a lot of places put crap in their meat that you wouldn't expect.
I admit, I was wrong about McD's they use 100% meat patties. So yeah. It is the only good part of it.

SkinnyPupp 05-11-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy (Post 7429755)
But will the salt put more work load on the kidney?

Nothing a normal kidney can't handle

Liquid_o2 05-12-2011 09:59 AM

Everything in moderation is key. That way you don't have to worry about salt or fat or carbs etc.

Don't put extra salt on your McDonalds fries or eat 2 Big Macs in one sitting and you should be ok.

raysquared 05-14-2011 01:34 PM

Kidney stones are something to consider with having a high sodium intake.
Salt will crystalize in your kidneys and will eventually cause hard stones which will block the ureters (tubes emptying your kidneys to your bladder) and cause hydronephrosis and difficulty urinating.
By drinking enough water, you will not let the salt crystalize. So if you find yourself eating a lot of salt, increase your water intake. Generally salty foods make you thirsty anyways, so it should be easy to increase your fluid intake if needed.

SkinnyPupp 05-14-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raysquared (Post 7433419)
Kidney stones are something to consider with having a high sodium intake.
Salt will crystalize in your kidneys and will eventually cause hard stones which will block the ureters (tubes emptying your kidneys to your bladder) and cause hydronephrosis and difficulty urinating.
By drinking enough water, you will not let the salt crystalize. So if you find yourself eating a lot of salt, increase your water intake. Generally salty foods make you thirsty anyways, so it should be easy to increase your fluid intake if needed.

Kidney stones aren't made of salt (they're made of calcium), and have nothing to do with salt intake :facepalm:

Sure is a lot of :facepalm:ing going on here :lol

distanc3 05-14-2011 08:57 PM

^ black tea also contribute to kidney stones as well :D

raysquared 05-21-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7433753)
Kidney stones aren't made of salt (they're made of calcium), and have nothing to do with salt intake :facepalm:

Sure is a lot of :facepalm:ing going on here :lol

Im not saying they are not made of calcium.
Im trying to give ways to prevent stones, by lowering the stress load of the kidneys.
If you hydrate the kidneys and allow them to work properly, you will have a better chance of the crystals (calcium) not to lump together and form.
Salt is considered a crystal forming substance and if you have a greater number of these substances which is more than your body and dilute, stones form.
Take it from someone who works in the field :facepalm:

jack3d 05-25-2011 01:25 AM

i drink about a gallon of water a day, can i eat as much salt as i want?

unit 05-25-2011 10:01 AM

wow... a gallon is a fuckin lot.

i drink about 2-2.5L a day

TheNewGirl 05-25-2011 10:53 AM

You can get sick from drinking TOO much water too. Be careful.

I fall in the 2-3L most day group and I think that's more then enough.

gdoh 05-25-2011 11:06 AM

how much should i be drinking if i am doing intense workouts 6 days a week

i prolyl drink 2-3L should that be enough?

TheNewGirl 05-25-2011 11:24 AM

Well your kidneys can handle about 1 liter an hour if they're healthy (if your body is under stress of any kind though it will be much less). But that's total liquid intake including liquids from food and other beverages.

If you exceed that (unless you're sweating heavily or in a very hot environment, there for getting rid of liquids via other means) you're at risk of hyperhydrosis. If you exceed it by a lot you can give yourself a stroke. (There used to be a hydrophelic ward at Riverview when I worked there, with people who deliberately downed huge doses of water to get a high. Don't to it. You can kill yourself or damage your brain since that's exactly where the "high" comes from, it shifts the electrolyte balance in your body and starts sending miss fires in the neurons in your brain. It was the oddest thing I'd ever seen but really gave me an appreciation for how important the balance between H2O and Electrolytes in your body is).

This is all also a risk if you don't get enough salt and electrolytes with your liquids in any quantity (so water is great, but you do need some salts and sugars with it if you're taking in a lot at a time).

goo3 05-26-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack3d (Post 7447231)
i drink about a gallon of water a day, can i eat as much salt as i want?

I dont' think it's that simple.. soemthing about fluid pressure with Na / K balance. Sorry I forgot exactly :fullofwin:

dton13 05-31-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7428902)
Yup, as more info reaches the mainstream on how fat is not actually bad for you, the freakouts have to be directed elsewhere. Salt is the next target, despite the fact that it is the most abundant electrolyte in our body.

Skinny, any sources/research for your info? I'd like to do some reading on it as well

TypeRNammer 06-01-2011 02:32 AM

Look at the daily nutritional value on a package of instant noodles, scary amount of sodium!